Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 305148 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #2254: Jan 04, 2019 12:13:19 am
      He was turned by one of the best forwards of a generation. sh*t happens
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2255: Jan 04, 2019 12:15:51 am
      He was turned by one of the best forwards of a generation. Sh*t happens

Don’t come on here with your logic Mags - not when others are busy stamping their feet and letting loose their burgeoning angst like 13 yr old drama majors doing King Lear 🙄
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #2256: Jan 04, 2019 12:26:18 am
      Don’t come on here with your logic Mags - not when others are busy stamping their feet and letting loose their burgeoning angst like 13 yr old drama majors doing King Lear 🙄

If only we had a knee jerk reaction topic for that mate! ......
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2257: Jan 04, 2019 12:27:56 am
      Although I feel some criticism of Lovren’s performance tonight is justified, some of it I feel is harsh.

Any defender in the world will be given a tough game by the likes of Aguero and Sane. City’s goals were nothing short of class. Apart from a few occasions when Lovren’s positioning was wrong, he had an OK game.

Do I feel like the outcome of the game would’ve been different if Gomez was playing in his place? No, I don’t think so in all honesty.

Well Gomez is a better CB and all round player than Lovren so for me I think the outcome would have certainly been different had Joe played.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #2258: Jan 04, 2019 12:29:49 am
      Well Gomez is a better CB and all round player than Lovren so for me I think the outcome would have certainly been different had Joe played.

If Joe had have been playing he’d have limped round the field and been out the rest of the season. We have who we have mate.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2259: Jan 04, 2019 12:39:22 am
      I’ve only seen highlights of the game so I can’t judge entirely accurately but from what I saw, he was poor. Completely unaware Aguero was there, gave the ball away for Sterling to break clear and play in Aguero when they had a 3v2, then almost gifted another goal but only for Sterling to put it wide.

The highlights weren’t very long that I saw so I can’t judge Lovren by anything else than what I’ve seen so far.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #2260: Jan 04, 2019 12:55:46 am
      I’ve only seen highlights of the game so I can’t judge entirely accurately but from what I saw, he was poor. Completely unaware Aguero was there, gave the ball away for Sterling to break clear and play in Aguero when they had a 3v2, then almost gifted another goal but only for Sterling to put it wide.

The highlights weren’t very long that I saw so I can’t judge Lovren by anything else than what I’ve seen so far.

He made a rubbish header and then let Aguero turn him. I can forgive Aguero because... well he’s one of the best premier league strikers of all time.

I’m not too upset tonight mate, beaten by a good city team, not outplayed by any means but didn’t deserve a win necessarily either
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2261: Jan 04, 2019 01:53:01 am
      I felt like the early yellow he took really affected him for the rest of the game, played nervous especially where City kept overloading his side when they attacked. He always seems to have one stinker of a game once in a while and tonight was one of those game. Hoping he can bounce back from it because he is going to be relied upon going into the rest of the season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2262: Jan 04, 2019 02:20:09 am
      I felt like the early yellow he took really affected him for the rest of the game, played nervous especially where City kept overloading his side when they attacked. He always seems to have one stinker of a game once in a while and tonight was one of those game. Hoping he can bounce back from it because he is going to be relied upon going into the rest of the season.

In fairness to him, since Virgil has arrived, whenever Lovren has had a bad game, he usually follows it up with a damn good one.
      I don’t think there’s any doubt at all that as soon as Gomez is available, he will be straight back in the team. But in terms of the games Lovren has played since we lost Gomez and Matip, this is the first one where his performance really is up for question.
      Hopefully he bounces back from this because although it was the usual Lovren type errors, we’ve been seeing them much less often over the last year.
      But I think it’s that thing about his mindset again though, by the sounds of it that yellow really knocked his game.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #2263: Jan 04, 2019 03:58:41 am

Let's give this another "logic". VVD was immense again, VVD doesn't doesn't talk a load of sh*te off the pitch.

Seriously though, I think he is a fine defender, but not good enough for where we are in terms of playing level, which also seems to be a case as he is literally the 4th choice. So really can't expect him to be exceptional against top teams. If only we had Gomez in this match.
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2019 04:24:11 am by Gill95 »
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2264: Jan 04, 2019 06:27:51 am
      The talking he does doesn’t do him
      any favours. I know some people might like that but it’s not for me, from any player. And if you are going to talk the talk you have to walk the walk. Ideally keep your mouth shut and focus on your game and let others talk about us.

The one that got me during the game was late on, we are recycling possession and actually building pressure, City clear it and Lovren plays a header directly to Sterling from which they nearly score.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2265: Jan 04, 2019 07:55:51 am
      Why was VVD livid with him at the end?

For playing an aussie rules pass
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #2266: Jan 04, 2019 08:02:31 am
      The talking he does doesn’t do him
      any favours. I know some people might like that but it’s not for me, from any player. And if you are going to talk the talk you have to walk the walk. Ideally keep your mouth shut and focus on your game and let others talk about us.

The one that got me during the game was late on, we are recycling possession and actually building pressure, City clear it and Lovren plays a header directly to Sterling from which they nearly score.

Yeah that was a shocker, he has played well of late but in games such as last night where the pressure is really on against top class opposition he is found wanting. It will be good to get young Gomez back in a couple of weeks. We were very high for their winner but with Gomez in the team you’ve got some serious pace to get back and who knows maybe even to get across and shut the angle for Sane’s shot.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2267: Jan 04, 2019 10:00:00 am
      Eh? Mo has been banging in for fun. Even whilst being awful, he made that pass to Mane that he almost scored, and was denied by a world class save by Ederson in the second half.

What is this question of " who do you play"?
      He is only playing because the other two are injured, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten a sniff at the starting XI with the way Joe was performing.

that's the point though slagging the lad off achieves exactly what? we don't have another choice so we need to get him through to when Joe is fit again
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #2268: Jan 04, 2019 10:27:34 am
      He was turned by one of the best forwards of a generation. Sh*t happens

^^^^
      THIS

Had Salah did this to Kompany, supporters here would be singing the praises of Salah
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2269: Jan 04, 2019 10:47:55 am
      It wasn't his best night... again.

When he made his return in the opposite fixture at Anfield, you could see the errors creeping back in to the defence.

When you start with two Rolls-Royce defenders (the best centre-back pairing in Europe on stats at the time) and change the back-line, you could see that the defence and goalkeeper would have more to do.

We're always prone to errors when he plays. His concentration often wanes, sometimes I wonder if he's able to read the game effectively. He doesn't inspire confidence on the ball, and always looks like he's in two minds on who/where to play it to.

Lovren echos the sentiments of being a Liverpool player, but unfortunately, does not possess the quality or consistency to remain as a starter when Joe Gomez returns.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2270: Jan 04, 2019 01:06:10 pm
      The over reaction on here again is ridiculous however not surprising too many dislike him to view a game with impartiality.

Yes he was poor and completely lost it in a few moments but he wasn’t the sole reason for the result like many are suggesting. Not going to make any excuses for him but anyone who knows anything about football will tell you that him and Trent were singled out as the weak link in our back line. Both not just Lovren didn’t deal with situations and moments as they should have yet the blame is solely on Lovrens shoulders.

For the expense, experience, and success of the City back line the way they dealt with our goal was the poorest piece of defending on the night but given they won the game it isn’t even mentioned.

Lastly if you’re going to put sh*t on him for talking to the media do ensure you have your facts and quotes straight verbatim. That goes for the “invincibles” comment and “best  defender in the world”.

As they are not only mistranslated but lacking context.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #2271: Jan 04, 2019 01:18:13 pm
      Lastly if you’re going to put sh*t on him for talking to the media do ensure you have your facts and quotes straight verbatim. That goes for the “invincibles” comment and “best  defender in the world”.

I get what you say, have also fact checked it. The thing is, no need to say stuff like that in media and add unnecessary pressure onto yourself, especially when it's been shown that he doesn't perform to his maximum level under pressure. Just go along with the tune of the whole team of playing it down.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2272: Jan 04, 2019 01:25:09 pm

I get what you say, have also fact checked it. The thing is, no need to say stuff like that in media and add unnecessary pressure onto yourself, especially when it's been shown that he doesn't perform to his maximum level under pressure. Just go along with the tune of the whole team of playing it down.

He didn’t call a random journalist over to his place for a cuppa to make those statements.

He was asked by one in the immediate aftermath of matches like all players he has media duties. Again I would suggest you better inform yourself with the questions and answers for context reference.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #2273: Jan 04, 2019 01:35:50 pm
      He didn’t call a random journalist over to his place for a cuppa to make those statements.

He was asked by one in the immediate aftermath of matches like all players he has media duties. Again I would suggest you better inform yourself with the questions and answers for context reference.
      Like I said anywhere that he called the media?

Anyhow, don't think this will go anywhere, hope he bounces back with a great performance next week.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #2274: Jan 04, 2019 01:39:49 pm
      The over reaction on here again is ridiculous however not surprising too many dislike him to view a game with impartiality.

Yes he was poor and completely lost it in a few moments but he wasn’t the sole reason for the result like many are suggesting. Not going to make any excuses for him but anyone who knows anything about football will tell you that him and Trent were singled out as the weak link in our back line. Both not just Lovren didn’t deal with situations and moments as they should have yet the blame is solely on Lovrens shoulders.

For the expense, experience, and success of the City back line the way they dealt with our goal was the poorest piece of defending on the night but given they won the game it isn’t even mentioned.

Spot on about him and Trent, I was worried before the game about Sane v Trent and it ended up proving true. Lovren had Lovren moments...it's not that out of character from the brain farts he's had in the past...you know what you've got with him, the loss was not on his shoulders, but it's fair to level criticism his way.

As for the quotes in the media....context and fact checking aside...you don't often hear stuff like this from any of the other guys so either he is saying things that are putting undue pressure on him, or he's being singled out by the media because they know that they can get juicy soundbite from him because of the way some of these comments have been twisted or replayed in the past. I'm sure he has media commitments like the other players, but maybe he needs to just be more tight lipped and not provide these soundbytes as it doesn't seem like you are getting the same types of things from other guys in the dressing room.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #2275: Jan 04, 2019 01:41:40 pm
      Spot on about him and Trent, I was worried before the game about Sane v Trent and it ended up proving true. Lovren had Lovren moments...it's not that out of character from the brain farts he's had in the past...you know what you've got with him, the loss was not on his shoulders, but it's fair to level criticism his way.

As for the quotes in the media....context and fact checking aside...you don't often hear stuff like this from any of the other guys so either he is saying things that are putting undue pressure on him, or he's being singled out by the media because they know that they can get juicy soundbite from him because of the way some of these comments have been twisted or replayed in the past. I'm sure he has media commitments like the other players, but maybe he needs to just be more tight lipped and not provide these soundbytes as it doesn't seem like you are getting the same types of things from other guys in the dressing room.

Did you read my mind?  ;D
      Exactly what I thought, but you worded it better.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2276: Jan 04, 2019 01:50:33 pm

You can no more control how he answers a question than he can control what you (or I) type here.

They have a similar complete non impact on what happens on the park.

Quick Reply