Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 305193 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #2277: Jan 04, 2019 02:30:21 pm
      I'm not a fan of Lovren but when he gets asked a loaded question by a journalist and effectively just agrees with it then some fans need to get a grip.

Nothing wrong with having a positive mentality on and off the pitch.

How he reads games might be an issue.
      Being positive off pitch really isn't.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2278: Jan 04, 2019 09:35:03 pm
      Thought he was culpable for both goals today and generally very poor throughout.

Most of City’s dangerous attacks came from our right hand side because he just can’t cover for Trent like VVD does on the other side.

Bench player in reality.

Weakest link .
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2279: Jan 04, 2019 11:16:09 pm
      Aside from losing out to a brilliant finish from one of the few players who could put it in from that position, he was decent most the game.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2280: Jan 04, 2019 11:35:32 pm
      Aside from losing out to a brilliant finish from one of the few players who could put it in from that position, he was decent most the game.

Head scrambled a bit last 20 Rodders but did not play poorly.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2281: Jan 04, 2019 11:39:05 pm

Head scrambled a bit last 20 Rodders but did not play poorly.

Spot on for me.

I've never doubted his ability as a footballer, his problems are all in his head.

If he could just calm down a bit, he'd be a fine player.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #2282: Jan 05, 2019 02:59:27 am
      The lad has his first 'bad game' since the away game to Spurs in October 2017 and suddenly he is unworthy of being a Liverpool player again.

He has had some top performances in big games too. He has proven he can deal with the best players out there, when on his game. Most recently the CL final where he bossed it and in the home fixture against City I recall him being voted MOTM. I guess that's suddenly all forgotten after a relatively average performance against one of the most potent teams in the world of football? They targetted our right side all night long and both Trent Alexander-Arnold and he received very little cover. They dealt with the vast majority of attacking waves that came their way, bar a few iffy moments, mainly later on during the game when we were wide open in midfield and allowed City to run at our defense.

I don't disagree that Gomez and Van Dijk are rightfully our first choice CB pairing and that they have performed consistently better against better teams, but Lovren is generally pretty solid. Not quite sure what people expect from a 3rd or in some people's eyes, even 4th choice CB. Name me a better one in the PL? I even rate him higher than some of the starting CB's at other top 6 teams. People want four Van Dijks by the looks of it. It's just not possible. Lovren is as good as it gets as a non-starting CB at a top team. Even if, according to some people here, he always fucks up against better teams, he is still a solid option against 70% of the other PL teams. He has played in every game since Gomez and Matip got injured and put in some good performances in tricky fixtures. He even scored and won us a penalty.

Look at the other top 6 teams, how many CB's are there that are consistently better than him? I'd really only take Laporte, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, and Rudiger over Lovren. David Luiz, Stones, Otamendi, any manc CB, all the arse CB's, ... All have their faults and lapses of concentration. Are they really better than him? No.
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2019 03:07:12 am by Danzel »
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2283: Jan 05, 2019 05:05:24 am
      The lad has his first 'bad game' since the away game to Spurs in October 2017 and suddenly he is unworthy of being a Liverpool player again.

He has had some top performances in big games too. He has proven he can deal with the best players out there, when on his game. Most recently the CL final where he bossed it and in the home fixture against City I recall him being voted MOTM. I guess that's suddenly all forgotten after a relatively average performance against one of the most potent teams in the world of football? They targetted our right side all night long and both Trent Alexander-Arnold and he received very little cover. They dealt with the vast majority of attacking waves that came their way, bar a few iffy moments, mainly later on during the game when we were wide open in midfield and allowed City to run at our defense.

I don't disagree that Gomez and Van Dijk are rightfully our first choice CB pairing and that they have performed consistently better against better teams, but Lovren is generally pretty solid. Not quite sure what people expect from a 3rd or in some people's eyes, even 4th choice CB. Name me a better one in the PL? I even rate him higher than some of the starting CB's at other top 6 teams. People want four Van Dijks by the looks of it. It's just not possible. Lovren is as good as it gets as a non-starting CB at a top team. Even if, according to some people here, he always fucks up against better teams, he is still a solid option against 70% of the other PL teams. He has played in every game since Gomez and Matip got injured and put in some good performances in tricky fixtures. He even scored and won us a penalty.

Look at the other top 6 teams, how many CB's are there that are consistently better than him? I'd really only take Laporte, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, and Rudiger over Lovren. David Luiz, Stones, Otamendi, any manc CB, all the arse CB's, ... All have their faults and lapses of concentration. Are they really better than him? No.

You’re actually right. I’ll freely admit that I have a preconceived idea of Lovren and groan when I see his name on the team sheet because I anticipate a F**k up of some sort, so when it happens it reinforces my initial feeling about him.  But it’s much easier to recognize that a few days after the game :D

He did have a classic Lovren game though where he did some bizarre things, which is my biggest issue with him. When his head goes it isn’t one mistake, it’s two, three, four mistakes. It’s all well and good saying his problem is in his head, but he needs to work on overcoming that, he’s no use to us running around like a headless chicken.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #2284: Jan 05, 2019 07:41:18 am
      90% of the time he is boss.

Problem is when the 10% comes, it’s not a slight mistake it’s a mega one.
      Putting him with VVD only highlights it.

Gomez there long term as when he makes a mistake, it generally doesn’t lead to a goal.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2285: Jan 05, 2019 09:22:13 am
      its convenient to have more than one scapegoat in case the other one isn't playing. A sad but true reflection of support these days.
      Seeing a player struggle used to be the time to get behind him but now its seen as the time to stick the knife in.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2286: Jan 05, 2019 10:02:41 am
      its convenient to have more than one scapegoat in case the other one isn't playing. A sad but true reflection of support these days.
      Seeing a player struggle used to be the time to get behind him but now its seen as the time to stick the knife in.

If i. honest i find it hard to get behind him. He mouths off in public too much. And makes too many basic mistakes.

Take v city. Clueless to where Aguero was. Then his head goes. Look at his scuffed clearance straight to Sterling. Look at his hoof ball to Virgil.

Because someone plays for your team doesnt mean you have to give them blind love and pretend everything is rosie
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #2287: Jan 05, 2019 11:52:51 am

As for the quotes in the media....context and fact checking aside...you don't often hear stuff like this from any of the other guys so either he is saying things that are putting undue pressure on him, or he's being singled out by the media because they know that they can get juicy soundbite from him because of the way some of these comments have been twisted or replayed in the past.

Not true. If you take a look, as I have done recently to prove the point on this forum, other players also say very similar things to what Lovren has said. Favourite son Firmino for one.

Lovren is no different. Also, his performance was totally exaggerated. A simple review of the Aguero goal will demonstrate that VVD was also at fault. VVD made various errors in the game too. Shock horror.. no-one is perfect. But Lovren's mistakes are being singled out and blown out of all reality.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2288: Jan 05, 2019 11:57:25 am
      Not true. If you take a look, as I have done recently to prove the point on this forum, other players also say very similar things to what Lovren has said. Favourite son Firmino for one.

Lovren is no different. Also, his performance was totally exaggerated. A simple review of the Aguero goal will demonstrate that VVD was also at fault. VVD made various errors in the game too. Shock horror.. no-one is perfect. But Lovren's mistakes are being singled out and blown out of all reality.

:lmao:

Yea ok.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #2289: Jan 05, 2019 12:34:35 pm
      On his day Lovren is a fantastic player. But as I have always maintained as a defender when you make a mistakes it can all to often be more costly to the team than anywhere else on the field...
      I don't feel that it was Lovren's fault that Aguero scored it was for me more down to Aguero's skill and cunning...

As I said elsewhere, Had the same time happened in reverse, and the defender was Kompany,, and it had been Salah, Firmino, or Mane scoring, everyone here would have been signing his praise and no one would have claimed it was Kompany's fault except on the City forums
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2290: Jan 05, 2019 01:09:33 pm
      As I said elsewhere, Had the same time happened in reverse, and the defender was Kompany,, and it had been Salah, Firmino, or Mane scoring, everyone here would have been signing his praise and no one would have claimed it was Kompany's fault except on the City forums
      Not sure this proves anything mate, why would anyone dwell on a mistake by an opponent’s player. It’s not as if the error was catastrophic, he just hesitated for some reason and Aguero picked his pocket.

Listen, if people are saying he is 3rd/4th choice centre back, then I agree we are not going to get much better. When you self proclaim that you are one of the best defenders in the world, however, you leave yourself open to ridicule when you make basic mistakes.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2291: Jan 05, 2019 01:39:05 pm
      If i. honest i find it hard to get behind him. He mouths off in public too much. And makes too many basic mistakes.

Take v city. Clueless to where Aguero was. Then his head goes. Look at his scuffed clearance straight to Sterling. Look at his hoof ball to Virgil.

Because someone plays for your team doesnt mean you have to give them blind love and pretend everything is rosie

Haha absolutely ridiculous that the so called “hoof” ball to Virgil is even a talking point. TAA overhits about 5 crosses a game and it’s all shrug the shoulders stuff. A centre half lobs a Hail Mary ball 60 yards in the 95th minute and for some reason it’s a talking point. Nothing against Virgil for reacting the way he did as it was heat of the moment stuff that happens between players on the pitch but the fact that’s discussed by fans 2 days later is just ludicrous.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2292: Jan 05, 2019 01:40:55 pm

What’s he said that’s made you laugh and react that way mate?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2293: Jan 05, 2019 01:53:46 pm
      Haha absolutely ridiculous that the so called “hoof” ball to Virgil is even a talking point. TAA overhits about 5 crosses a game and it’s all shrug the shoulders stuff. A centre half lobs a Hail Mary ball 60 yards in the 95th minute and for some reason it’s a talking point. Nothing against Virgil for reacting the way he did as it was heat of the moment stuff that happens between players on the pitch but the fact that’s discussed by fans 2 days later is just ludicrous.

Glad your amused. Bringing Trent into the argument as a defence?? You might as well use the Chewbacca defence
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2294: Jan 05, 2019 01:56:46 pm
      Glad your amused. Bringing Trent into the argument as a defence?? You might as well use the Chewbacca defence

Nothing to defend just calling out the ridiculousness of the post.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2295: Jan 05, 2019 02:05:17 pm
      To be fair and balanced......I think he did go to sleep a little on Aguero but - in my opinion and as I’ve stated before - his issue was more the early yellow making him stand off.

There were a few head’s gone moments 2nd half - that’s the real weakness in Degsy’s game for me. One mistake becomes 3-4 quickly.

I do agree though that as impressive as VVD is always - he isn’t perfect and it’s not always the other guy’s fault. Sometimes it’s a partnership failing.

I don’t think he was perfect for either Arsenal goal this season or the two here. He doesn’t get the stick because he performs heroics every game and that’s fair enough.

All people are pleading for is a little more balance. When the lynching cries start it really does say more about an individual’s need to blame than it does your appreciation of what you’re watching.

He’s been decent since he came back Degsy - really wasn’t too clever Thursday but he’s gonna be a vital part of this squad so we best get used to it......again.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2296: Jan 05, 2019 02:18:26 pm
      To be fair and balanced......I think he did go to sleep a little on Aguero but - in my opinion and as I’ve stated before - his issue was more the early yellow making him stand off.

There were a few head’s gone moments 2nd half - that’s the real weakness in Degsy’s game for me. One mistake becomes 3-4 quickly.

I do agree though that as impressive as VVD is always - he isn’t perfect and it’s not always the other guy’s fault. Sometimes it’s a partnership failing.

I don’t think he was perfect for either Arsenal goal this season or the two here. He doesn’t get the stick because he performs heroics every game and that’s fair enough.

All people are pleading for is a little more balance. When the lynching cries start it really does say more about an individual’s need to blame than it does your appreciation of what you’re watching.

He’s been decent since he came back Degsy - really wasn’t too clever Thursday but he’s gonna be a vital part of this squad so we best get used to it......again.
      he went to sleep against Napoli, Alisson saved us. Alisson is fantastic but he's not going to be able to save everything, people only seem to notice the mistakes we get punished for, we need to also notice the ones we are lucky to get away with. If he got us knocked out the champions league, would your opinion still be "he's been decent since he came back"?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2297: Jan 05, 2019 02:24:16 pm
      he went to sleep against Napoli, Alisson saved us. Alisson is fantastic but he's not going to be able to save everything, people only seem to notice the mistakes we get punished for, we need to also notice the ones we are lucky to get away with. If he got us knocked out the champions league, would your opinion still be "he's been decent since he came back"?

Honestly Ribs?

Yes - because I’d judge the error and not the impact.

Maybe it’s a coaching thing - I dunno - but that is how I process.

Same in life to be fair.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2298: Jan 05, 2019 02:39:26 pm
      Honestly Ribs?

Yes - because I’d judge the error and not the impact.

Maybe it’s a coaching thing - I dunno - but that is how I process.

Same in life to be fair.
      think that's the best way, judge the possible impacts not just the actualised impact.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2299: Jan 05, 2019 02:46:56 pm
      think that's the best way, judge the possible impacts not just the actualised impact.

Each to their own.

I tend to think impact distorts.

In generic terms I’d be more concerned about a defender who kept getting away with mistakes rather than one who got punished for every occasional error.

Like I say - thats how I am in life - but you are entirely entitled to do the complete opposite.

Quick Reply