Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 305187 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #2415: Nov 28, 2019 12:03:02 pm
      There’s nothing he could have done for their goal VVD should never have been pushed off the ball so easily by a lad 40 pounds lighter and Robertson should have shown awareness to the offside trap which again is the right move when your cb partner gets caught out in a high line.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2416: Nov 28, 2019 02:58:54 pm
      There’s nothing he could have done for their goal VVD should never have been pushed off the ball so easily by a lad 40 pounds lighter and Robertson should have shown awareness to the offside trap which again is the right move when your cb partner gets caught out in a high line.

Lovren was trying to play Mertens offside but forgot about Robertson, he should have tracked Mertens as he was running forwards, it happens and is not the worst mistake I've ever seen but it was an error and it did lead to their goal.

Having said that Lovren has been playing pretty well of late.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2417: Nov 28, 2019 07:03:29 pm
      VVD should never have been pushed off the ball so easily by a lad 40 pounds lighter

Unless said lad is throwing in a sly elbow to the ribs. Thats why VVD went down straight away, definitely got winded.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2418: Nov 28, 2019 07:16:11 pm
      Unless said lad is throwing in a sly elbow to the ribs. Thats why VVD went down straight away, definitely got winded.

There was contact from Mertens definetly and it was illegal but I didn’t believe it was enough for Virg not to get that header away given the size difference. Funnily it’s the second time he’s been pushed of the ball by someone smaller which resulted in a direct goal think back to when the snake did it to him at the Etihad in the 2018 quarters.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #2419: Nov 28, 2019 07:56:34 pm
      There was contact from Mertens definetly and it was illegal but I didn’t believe it was enough for Virg not to get that header away given the size difference. Funnily it’s the second time he’s been pushed of the ball by someone smaller which resulted in a direct goal think back to when the snake did it to him at the Etihad in the 2018 quarters.

The contact was not enough to stop him heading it which he did and good contact the problem was what happened after and missing Virg in the build up to the goal should he have carried on or was he hoping to get the free kick only Virg will know but it looked fairly innocuous
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2420: Dec 07, 2019 06:32:11 pm
      According to Klopp his injury isn't too serious, was taken off as precaution more so than needed to. He been good form, Matip injury and fixture list hope we can see him back sooner than later.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #2421: Dec 07, 2019 06:46:16 pm
      Hopefully is available very soon because we have 3 out of 5 main players out of our centre halve position.  We could face trouble.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2422: Dec 07, 2019 10:42:04 pm
      Hopefully is available very soon because we have 3 out of 5 main players out of our centre halve position.  We could face trouble.

Matip,  Lovren and....?

I was thinking it was 2 out of 4. Do you mean Fabinho? But yes, even if Lovren is only out for 2 1/2 weeks, that's five matches with no backup center back unless you get one from the U23s. Less than ideal and of course I especially worry about Virgil as he has played I think every match except the League Cup. Definitely could see a loan signing for this posiiton in January.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #2423: Dec 07, 2019 10:44:52 pm
      Yeah I was including Fabinho as he can play very well at centre halve like we saw last season.   
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #2424: Dec 11, 2019 12:07:08 am
      I just think we shouldn't play him in too many consecutive games.  He breaks down.  I don't think we should have played him today.  Its okay.  The squad has done a tremendous job we don't need to worry about Europe till feb and we have a cushion in the league. 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2425: Dec 13, 2019 05:47:06 pm
      I just think we shouldn't play him in too many consecutive games.  He breaks down.  I don't think we should have played him today.  Its okay.  The squad has done a tremendous job we don't need to worry about Europe till feb and we have a cushion in the league.

Out with no timetable for return, per Klopp.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #2426: Dec 13, 2019 05:58:28 pm
      I really think we need to address this situation in the transfer market.  Hopefully they will be working hard as of now.  I just think he needs to be replaced because in my opinion he isn't even half an option.  He can't string half a dozen games in a row.  Matip has been injury prone too but better than Lovren.  Maybe Matip not playing in internationals has helped him.  But I really think we need another Central defender and part ways  because we get to the bare bones too often.   
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2427: Dec 13, 2019 06:05:59 pm
      Typical really.

Decent player but can't be relied upon he's just not up to it physically never really was.

We need to sign a quality CB in January now and move Dejan on next Summer.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #2428: Dec 13, 2019 06:11:35 pm
      So basically our 1st choice backup for full back (Gomez) isn't available for this mammoth fixture list at least we gone through half of it but still.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #2429: Dec 13, 2019 07:29:58 pm
      So basically our 1st choice backup for full back (Gomez) isn't available for this mammoth fixture list at least we gone through half of it but still.

What I have seen of Van Berg he is not a viable option.  Depending on the timescale for them both may need looking at
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2430: Dec 13, 2019 07:46:44 pm
      I'd suggest a short term fix in January and a long term fix in the Summer.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2431: Dec 13, 2019 08:48:39 pm
      What I have seen of Van Berg he is not a viable option.  Depending on the timescale for them both may need looking at

Agree Sepp at 17 is not ready. You can see he hasn't grown into his body nearly enough yet.

Hoever is probably adequate physically and he looks a really good prospect but he still does some things that kids do in games and I think would get exposed over a period of time. I could see him making the bench tomorrow maybe, but he would only get in as a last resort.

I noticed Klopp mentioned a five "Academy players" he would have no problem putting into the team for a match (Kelleher, Jones, Brewster, Elliott and Neco Williams). Hoever and Sepp weren't included.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2432: Dec 13, 2019 08:52:59 pm

I think Jürgen is comfortable with Milner at either fullback spot and even Neco Williams at right back in a pinch. It's center back where we are really vulnerable right now.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #2433: Dec 13, 2019 11:02:13 pm
      Typical really.

Decent player but can't be relied upon he's just not up to it physically never really was.

We need to sign a quality CB in January now and move Dejan on next Summer.

I thought we would have sold him in the summer but Roma starting poncing about wanting loans.  Now we don't want to go back to giving Italians loans! :D
       I thought we did the right thing to keep him because 1/4 of an option is better than not having one at all.   But we really need to have it high on our agenda to find a replacement.

I agree with the point about Van Berg he is just a kid nowhere near ready.  And with Klopp players can improve quickly but still think it is a stretch to thing he will be anywhere near ready for big games in the next year.   We just can't have the position being a burden need to address it and quick.   Fabinho can play full back and very well at CB but with him out injured I really think we need to try hard in January.   As suggested even if it is a quick fix in January. 

I agree Robby it seems that Klopp feels that he has enough cover for full back.  I think in Hoever and Nico williams he has potential that are not too far away from reaching a good level.  Maybe next season and for the mean time Milner can cover with other possible options too maybe Henderson, Lallana, Shaqiri Fabino.  I'm guessing of course with some of the names.  But he just does not seem troubled by that situation especially when he loaned out Clyne last season.  The message I was getting from him we are OK nothing to worry about.   For me though our 3rd best full back at the moment is Gomez.   That option is not there for this busy schedule. 

rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #2434: Dec 13, 2019 11:31:05 pm
      Agree Sepp at 17 is not ready. You can see he hasn't grown into his body nearly enough yet.

Hoever is probably adequate physically and he looks a really good prospect but he still does some things that kids do in games and I think would get exposed over a period of time. I could see him making the bench tomorrow maybe, but he would only get in as a last resort.

I noticed Klopp mentioned a five "Academy players" he would have no problem putting into the team for a match (Kelleher, Jones, Brewster, Elliott and Neco Williams). Hoever and Sepp weren't included.

Think Jones is some distance the best of the bunch looks very  composed and does not look out of place.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2435: Dec 14, 2019 01:16:34 am
      Think Jones is some distance the best of the bunch looks very  composed and does not look out of place.

Yes, he has really improved in the past 12 months, as Milner and others have noted. James Pearce seems to think he will be loaned out in January along with Brewster.

Back on topic, I do wonder if this is Dejan's last year with us, but I wondered that last season.

I also wonder if being designated friend of Mo has any bearing on the decision.

EDIT: Just to add I know Dejan has been a solid contributor to our success this season. It just looks like he is going to out for a good while now and by then Joel or Joe should be slotted in beside Virgil.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #2436: Dec 14, 2019 01:25:31 am
      I'd sell Lallana might get some dough for him if he is fit in January.  And consider keeping Jones till summer.  Like to see him a wee bit more against Villa will be a start.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #2437: Dec 14, 2019 01:35:55 am

I also wonder if being designated friend of Mo has any bearing on the decision.

EDIT: Just to add I know Dejan has been a solid contributor to our success this season. It just looks like he is going to out for a good while now and by then Joel or Joe should be slotted in beside Virgil.

For me that being Salah's friend is his biggest contribution.   I am not blaming him it is not his fault but when we need him he just isn't available.  And I don't rate him high anyway.  I think on the pitch he has been average at best through his career here.  Matip is better much better and Gomez has proven last season he can raise his bar far higher with the ability to cover full back.     He has put decent performances especially of late, but at no fault of his own when we desperately need him now he isn't there.   And Klopp doesn't like the idea of having 5 senior first team Central defenders in the squad which is completely understandable. 

Quick Reply