Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 305218 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #2461: Feb 29, 2020 07:40:39 pm
      I get what you mean shabadoo and you're right that some will use him as a scapegoat but I think we can agree that his time as a Liverpool player is over, regardless of today's result he looks like a weak link in the squad when he plays.

I’ll be honest I raised an eyebrow when I saw him in the line up over Matip but you are right, his time is at an end here.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2462: Feb 29, 2020 07:56:36 pm
      A walking disaster, always out of position and brings panic to the back line. But hey we have seen this plenty of times previously.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2463: Feb 29, 2020 08:18:17 pm
      Wouldn’t be shocked if that’s the last we see of him in the Premier League as one of ours.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #2464: Feb 29, 2020 08:59:42 pm
      Lost all his confidence, just not good enough any more I'm afraid.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #2465: Feb 29, 2020 09:46:03 pm
      I'm not a fan of Lovren, said earlier in the season that he and Trent are not a good combo - he can't cover in behind Trent when he goes forward the way Gomez can. That side of our defence generally looks a bit vulnerable when it's those two together. And he is ultimately our 4th best CB. However I think he is a bit of an easy scapegoat for us just being sh*te as a team today. Our midfielders were all just as bad as he was (except Lallana when he came on, actually played a couple of forward passes). The whole team was off it to be honest. Bit of complacency probably. I also think Hendo is a bigger miss than people think.
      « Last Edit: Feb 29, 2020 09:55:00 pm by sore monad »
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #2466: Feb 29, 2020 10:46:57 pm
      Definitely  not good enough but most have known since the start however he was no worse than the untouchables who people refuse to criticize  Firmino ,Gini , VVD for first two goals and TAA who was awful.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2467: Feb 29, 2020 10:49:25 pm
      Not all his fault but I think it's time Mo starts helping him pack up his house and belongings and gets ready to say good bye to his Bestie!!!
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #2468: Feb 29, 2020 10:57:00 pm
      Not all his fault but I think it's time Mo starts helping him pack up his house and belongings and gets ready to say good bye to his Bestie!!!

Dont think Mo will.be too far behind tbh
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #2469: Feb 29, 2020 11:05:33 pm
      Dont think Mo will.be too far behind tbh

Hope you're wrong there mate!
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #2470: Feb 29, 2020 11:12:26 pm

So do I just get a feeling he could end up in Spain
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #2471: Mar 01, 2020 12:07:20 am
      So do I just get a feeling he could end up in Spain

Na F**k those Spanish cu*ts!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2472: Mar 01, 2020 03:19:33 am
      I wonder when in the week he got the nod and when after watching the videos of Watford throughout the week how Dejan managed to still want to wrestle with Deeney rather than concentrating on the ball.

A lot of work goes in to identifying opposition strengths and weaknesses so I'm wondering whether Dejan got the wrong information or that he just cant help himself from getting into needless macho tustles that he invariably comes out on the wrong side of.

I actually think we got our tactics wrong and that with Joe missing the game, Dejan was brought in with Deeney in mind. I think actually Joel would have dealt with him in a better way.

Deeney confirmed later on on Sky the plan to target Lovren and that Dejans style of defending played right into his hands as he was playing Deeney at his own game and he was able to win fouls off him all game and pin up against him, creating the vital first goal.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2473: Mar 01, 2020 03:38:24 am
      Agree about the shouts of moving him on, been here the same length of time as Lallana. We've got VVD, Gomez & Matip either promote some one from U23's or invest in young up and coming centre back.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2474: Mar 01, 2020 04:42:33 am
      Deeney confirmed later on on Sky the plan to target Lovren and that Dejans style of defending played right into his hands as he was playing Deeney at his own game and he was able to win fouls off him all game and pin up against him, creating the vital first goal.

It isn't rocket science that 95 percent of strikers always target the right side of our defence no matter if it is Gomez, Lovren or Matip because none of them are of the quality of VvD and TAA on the right is easier to beat than Robbo. Though in this game I feel comfortable saying if Matip started we still would of lost.

Not to take anything away from Lovren he struggled with Deeney and fought with the ball with so many missed passes and random ball sent out of play.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2475: Mar 01, 2020 05:56:42 am
      I wonder when in the week he got the nod and when after watching the videos of Watford throughout the week how Dejan managed to still want to wrestle with Deeney rather than concentrating on the ball.

A lot of work goes in to identifying opposition strengths and weaknesses so I'm wondering whether Dejan got the wrong information or that he just cant help himself from getting into needless macho tustles that he invariably comes out on the wrong side of.

I actually think we got our tactics wrong and that with Joe missing the game, Dejan was brought in with Deeney in mind. I think actually Joel would have dealt with him in a better way.

What do you mean lad you have to wrestle with Deeney that’s how he plays? Who ever marks Deeney ends up wrestling with him like the man said himself Lovren was an easier target than Virgil.

Not to defend that performance from Dejan though it was awful all around and I’m certain he will be gone in the summer.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2476: Mar 01, 2020 07:55:51 am
      He should be sold not for yesterday's performance but we should do better than him.

He was par with the rest of the team yesterday.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #2477: Mar 01, 2020 08:47:47 am
      He should be sold not for yesterday's performance but we should do better than him.

He was par with the rest of the team yesterday.
      Pretty much mate we were poor  all over the pitch yesterday but as has been said plenty of times on this forum the lad has to many mistakes in him to be wholly depended & relied upon also the lad seems to just go to pieces.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2478: Mar 01, 2020 08:48:59 am
      Definitely  not good enough but most have known since the start however he was no worse than the untouchables who people refuse to criticize  Firmino ,Gini , VVD for first two goals and TAA who was awful.

oh he was worse than them, almost all the goals can be linked to Dejan,certainly the first where he is trying to wrestle Deeney for some weird reason and just lets the ball bounce over him and the third where his pass put Trent under pressure. The second was just one of those weird goals where everyone thought the ball was going out except the Watford players and then the perfect pass to Sarr.

Throughout the game the defence looked nervous and unsure of itself, I'm not sure if Matip still isn't fit but playing Lovren was a mistake, we may still have lost but not by as much.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2479: Mar 01, 2020 10:35:10 am
      TAA on the right is easier to beat than Robbo.

Yes, but I think we actually concede more goals from the left.
      Trent may be easier to beat but I don’t think he has the lapses in concentration that Robbo does.

rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #2480: Mar 01, 2020 11:09:29 am
      oh he was worse than them, almost all the goals can be linked to Dejan,certainly the first where he is trying to wrestle Deeney for some weird reason and just lets the ball bounce over him and the third where his pass put Trent under pressure. The second was just one of those weird goals where everyone thought the ball was going out except the Watford players and then the perfect pass to Sarr.

Throughout the game the defence looked nervous and unsure of itself, I'm not sure if Matip still isn't fit but playing Lovren was a mistake, we may still have lost but not by as much.

For the first goal Deeney did not touch the ball so Lovren will say he did his job yes he wasnt great but there were three more stages after it Fabinho didnt go with doucoure, Virgil was then weak letting him cross it and Robbo lost Sarr so all 4 as culpable.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #2481: Mar 01, 2020 11:17:33 am
      Missing Henderson is one thing, but the whole defence looked out of sorts,, Although Lovren not up to the standard required by the club.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2482: Mar 01, 2020 12:25:15 pm
      For the first goal Deeney did not touch the ball so Lovren will say he did his job yes he wasnt great but there were three more stages after it Fabinho didnt go with doucoure, Virgil was then weak letting him cross it and Robbo lost Sarr so all 4 as culpable.

Deeney was holding both his arms down making sure he couldn’t leap of the ground. Still a sh*t reaction overall and performance.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2483: Mar 01, 2020 12:26:28 pm

sorry but its not Lovren's role to man mark one player, badly, if it is then that's bloody crazy, havign said that what the F**k Virgil was doign just watching that ball get passed into the box is beyond me.
      As said Lovren was not the only bad player but he was probably the worst and I think he affected the other players.

Quick Reply