Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 305250 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #2484: Mar 01, 2020 12:30:59 pm
      sorry but its not Lovren's role to man mark one player, badly, if it is then that's bloody crazy, havign said that what the f**k Virgil was doign just watching that ball get passed into the box is beyond me.
      As said Lovren was not the only bad player but he was probably the worst and I think he affected the other players.

What do you means it's not his role to man mark do you think Deeney  should have been left alone ?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2485: Mar 01, 2020 12:49:40 pm
      What do you mean lad you have to wrestle with Deeney thatā€™s how he plays? Who ever marks Deeney ends up wrestling with him like the man said himself Lovren was an easier target than Virgil.

Not to defend that performance from Dejan though it was awful all around and Iā€™m certain he will be gone in the summer.

I'm on about the interview Deeney did where he literally said the following;

"I don't want to be disrespectful to Lovren and say he is the weaker of the two but I knew he wanted to fight me as well, and that is my game, so if you want to try and fight me you are going to have to be in for a tough night.

"He did that for the first goal, trying to fight me for the throw-in and then I obviously rolled him and we scored.

"He is trying to fight me instead of watching the ball and we scored."

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2486: Mar 01, 2020 12:57:45 pm

"I don't want to be disrespectful to Lovren and say he is the weaker of the two but I knew he wanted to fight me as well, and that is my game, so if you want to try and fight me you are going to have to be in for a tough night.

"He did that for the first goal, trying to fight me for the throw-in and then I obviously rolled him and we scored.

These quotes say it all really.

It was clear that Deeney was targeting him, to be fair VVD/Klopp can take some blame in not switching them around to ensure VVD was picking up Deeney, it wasn't rocket science to see that Lovren was being bullied everytime.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2487: Mar 01, 2020 02:42:50 pm
      These quotes say it all really.

It was clear that Deeney was targeting him, to be fair VVD/Klopp can take some blame in not switching them around to ensure VVD was picking up Deeney, it wasn't rocket science to see that Lovren was being bullied everytime.

No question about Deeney being bulled but Virgil always plays on the left and whoever is partnering him is on the right.

Of all our players, perhaps none has a wider range of performances between very good and awful than Dejan Lovren.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #2488: Mar 01, 2020 03:05:54 pm
      No question about Deeney being bulled but Virgil always plays on the left and whoever is partnering him is on the right.

Of all our players, perhaps none has a wider range of performances between very good and awful than Dejan Lovren.

I understand that but I am sure VVD can play on the right and we have seen Lovren do a decent job before on the left. If Deeney is clearly hogging the right to target Lovren why not swap them over.

Hindsight is a great thing, it might be that Deeney still went on to target Lovren, regardless of the sides the CB's play, but for me, we should have least acknowledged it.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #2489: Mar 01, 2020 03:08:08 pm
      Is a walking disaster of a cb , if Watford needed a lift they got it soon as his name appeared on the team sheet .
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2490: Mar 01, 2020 03:16:28 pm
      I understand that but I am sure VVD can play on the right and we have seen Lovren do a decent job before on the left. If Deeney is clearly hogging the right to target Lovren why not swap them over.

Hindsight is a great thing, it might be that Deeney still went on to target Lovren, regardless of the sides the CB's play, but for me, we should have least acknowledged it.

Fair enough. Thing with Lovren is, as I mentioned somewhere else, he can put in a very good shift, but when he gets it wrong, he gets it totally wrong.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #2491: Mar 01, 2020 03:25:08 pm
      He is the definition of a confidence player. Once he loses confidence in himself in the game he is never the same.

As soon as he lost one battle against Deeney his day was done.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #2492: Mar 01, 2020 04:39:30 pm

Was the same a couple of years ago V scum Lukaku bullied him when Rashford scored twice too slow to react to putting VVD on him
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2493: Mar 01, 2020 04:48:43 pm
      Lovren is a mediocre defender these days, I'd rather play Fabinho or even Hoever, but I'm still baffled why JĆ¼rgen didn't start Matip.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2494: Mar 01, 2020 05:10:41 pm
      As soon as he lost one battle against Deeney his day was done

His day was done even before then when he kept passing them the ball.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #2495: Mar 01, 2020 05:32:16 pm
      Is a walking disaster of a cb , if Watford needed a lift they got it soon as his name appeared on the team sheet .

Who wouldnā€™t? Everyone of us would target him in our setup. It would be silly not to.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2496: Mar 01, 2020 08:01:23 pm

Have a read yourself again and note the bit where Deeney says ā€œitā€™s my gameā€ as what I said in my post  originally. He always wrestles in every game all he said is that he picked out the weaker link out of the two.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2497: Mar 02, 2020 05:26:30 am
      Have a read yourself again and note the bit where Deeney says ā€œitā€™s my gameā€ as what I said in my post  originally. He always wrestles in every game all he said is that he picked out the weaker link out of the two.

I dont need to read it I heard him say it. The whole interview was around avoiding Van Dijk and picking on the weaker player, about how Lovren wanted to fight him and how that is Deeneys game.

Lovren wanted to fight and that's his game. Theres nothing left to be said on it mate. Deeney is many things, but cryptic is not one of them. Theres very little room to take away anything else even if you want it to :laugh:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2498: Mar 02, 2020 05:49:28 am
      As i heard somebody say over the weekend, he's never far away from the scene of fhe crime.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2499: Mar 02, 2020 11:10:37 am

It hurts when your heroes get ridiculed doesn't it, but perhaps you can find some better heroes!

Lovren used to be an ok CB but these days he is utter garbage, I NEVER want to see him play for us again, I'd honestly put him behind Fabinho and the kids like Hoever and even Van Den Berg at this point, at least they have the potential of getting better.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2500: Mar 02, 2020 12:57:23 pm
      It hurts when your heroes get ridiculed doesn't it, but perhaps you can find some better heroes!

Lovren used to be an ok CB but these days he is utter garbage, I NEVER want to see him play for us again, I'd honestly put him behind Fabinho and the kids like Hoever and even Van Den Berg at this point, at least they have the potential of getting better.

Shut up lid pull your head in. Where did I say he was my hero?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2501: Mar 02, 2020 01:00:59 pm
      Shut up lid pull your head in. Where did I say he was my hero?

;D
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #2502: Mar 02, 2020 02:43:28 pm
      He used to be a decent CB. He was always prone to the odd moment of calamity, but generally he was a much better CB than what we've been seeing. But, and it is a big but, he is a confidence player that needs regular games. I think it was a mistake on Klopp's behalf to play him on Saturday against an aggressive Watford team fighting for survival. As brilliant a manager as he is, that was a team selection mistake from the gaffer and it cost us.

I don't see Lovren as a reliable back up, should go to a mid table team to get regular games where he will be decent again, but certainly not Liverpool standards. Matip can come in and generally be a reliable CB, Lovren can't.

Onwards and upwards.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2503: Mar 02, 2020 04:33:19 pm

this goes along with your post on Hendo when you wanted him to get injured so JĆ¼rgen couldn't pick him.As JĆ¼rgen said people who blamed Dejan for the defeat ā€¦ he cant help then.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2504: Mar 02, 2020 08:05:17 pm
      Yeah some on here should have a look or read of the presser from JĆ¼rgen. His words should be gospel to all fans given his status. If heā€™s good enough for him heā€™s good enough for me same goes for any player he picks.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2505: Mar 02, 2020 08:42:22 pm
      Yeah some on here should have a look or read of the presser from JĆ¼rgen. His words should be gospel to all fans given his status. If heā€™s good enough for him heā€™s good enough for me same goes for any player he picks.

its the clamour for blood I really don't like Dejan is a Liverpool player and he plays at the highest International level he isn't a muppet. He has been plagued by injuries these past couple of seasons and every time he is picked the knives are out for him.  It took Joe a few months to get back his match fitness and his form why isn't Dejan offered the same patience. I am old fashioned in so much as if he has a Red shirt on he gets my support. We all get pissed off especially just after a match but lining up alongside the likes of Neville or Shearer isn't for me
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #2506: Mar 02, 2020 09:11:45 pm
      its the clamour for blood I really don't like Dejan is a Liverpool player and he plays at the highest International level he isn't a muppet. He has been plagued by injuries these past couple of seasons and every time he is picked the knives are out for him.  It took Joe a few months to get back his match fitness and his form why isn't Dejan offered the same patience. I am old fashioned in so much as if he has a Red shirt on he gets my support. We all get pissed off especially just after a match but lining up alongside the likes of Neville or Shearer isn't for me

The blame solely attached to him for the first goal was staggering if I am honest

Quick Reply