Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Divock Origi (Liverpool > AC Milan)

Read 216067 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Divock Origi Player Thread
      Reply #897: Dec 03, 2018 02:19:43 am
      Was good for him and good for us. Well done lad.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #898: Dec 03, 2018 07:51:19 pm
      His pass to Mane was excellent too. He was hungry for minutes. He brought much more than Sturridge. I would play him instead of Firmino on Wednesday due to drop in form.

He's on an ecstasy, we should push him a little now!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #899: Dec 03, 2018 07:53:33 pm
      His pass to Mane was excellent too. He was hungry for minutes. He brought much more than Sturridge. I would play him instead of Firmino on Wednesday due to drop in form.

He's on an ecstasy, we should push him a little now!

Me too - I fancy a more target man type striker in this 4231 formation. Origi comes closes to that unless Solanke can up the stakes.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #900: Dec 03, 2018 07:55:05 pm
      Me too - I fancy a more target man type striker in this 4231 formation. Origi comes closes to that unless Solanke can up the stakes.

Plus Firmino looked tired too.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #901: Dec 03, 2018 07:57:28 pm
      Well I’m happy to admit that I have always liked him as a player - i think he has all the attributes to be a very good player but question his desire to reach his potential

Would keep him for the rest of the season and would rather see him start games than Sturridge
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #902: Dec 03, 2018 08:37:54 pm
      When he went passed that player he was really quick and his final ball wasn't too shabby either. Another  great option for Jürgen maybe against teams like Burnley he would be perfect and go Mo a rest
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #903: Dec 03, 2018 09:00:25 pm
      When he went passed that player he was really quick and his final ball wasn't too shabby either. Another  great option for Jürgen maybe against teams like Burnley he would be perfect and go Mo a rest

Was a stunning turn of pace. I’ll never forget that beautiful goal against Bournemouth (the end result was horrifying)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #904: Dec 03, 2018 09:16:52 pm
      It was great to hear Jürgen in the post match press conference last night hark back to that Dortmund match over two and a half years ago and how Origi was central to the drama that unfolded that night. Truth be told, he was probably one of, if not our most vital player during that particular period. As noted he had a strength, a turn of pace and a tactical discipline that made us lethal. And then he got injured by a coward in the derby, his name not worth mentioning, for a coward is all he will be remembered as. It was a cruel way to remove him from the spotlight and with it the fantastic momentum and form he had built up.

What made yesterday's goal all the more special was that Origi revealed himself once more to be an option when most of us had long given up hope of him ever becoming one ever again. It was as though we had been given a new signing and suddenly, our attacking depth doesn't look too bad again. It was a superb 10 minute cameo which threatened to be overshadowed by that stark miss onto the bar but justice prevailed for Origi in the end and he got his righteous reward. It's a testament to his presence that the Everton defence, who had settled into a nice comfy zone courtesy of our squalidness up front, started losing it when he drafted about that pitch.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #905: Dec 03, 2018 09:23:32 pm
      Well I’m happy to admit that I have always liked him as a player - i think he has all the attributes to be a very good player but question his desire to reach his potential

Would keep him for the rest of the season and would rather see him start games than Sturridge

I don't see Origi and Sturridge as playing the same position. Sturridge should be playing centrally in place for Firmino while Origi i think is better deployed on the wings where he can better use his pace. That play late in the game where he poked the ball past the Everton player and raced into the open space was great and would have been a great goal if Mane had been able to get a toe on it.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #906: Dec 03, 2018 11:29:48 pm
      He was only on for a short time but his decision making (very important these days) was really good his run down the wing was perfect but the way he stood of Pickford so as to not concede a foul was actually very impressive because the slightest touch and the Ref would have given a foul.
      All I can say is really well done Divok keep up the great work the same against UTD then City will be just perfect
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #907: Dec 04, 2018 06:21:58 am
      I think he got something in him that can make him a great player. He got robbed from his form against Everton through a very nasty tackle but I think if he continue to fight for his place, he can gain it through Everton too :)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #908: Dec 04, 2018 06:58:27 am
      He’s always reminded me of Heskey. Now I know Emile has turned into this comic relief character now, but back in the day he really was a force to be reckoned with.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #909: Dec 04, 2018 09:58:30 am
      Seeing as Bobby is well out of form I'd give Divock and Solanke a few games to impress, Burnley and Bournemouth, and see if they make the grade, if they don't then we really do need to dip into the transfer market in Jan for a target man striker.

Striker is one of those positions where its easier to bring someone in without it F***ing up the whole team, especially when you still have Salah and Mane/Shaq alongside them
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #910: Dec 04, 2018 12:04:41 pm
      He's nothing like Hesky.
      Hesky was slow but powerful at winning balls and providing assists.
      Origi has pace, less power but more better at shooting.
      Origi reminds me more of Robbie Keane, but better at Liverpool, not better than the spurs version.
      « Last Edit: Dec 04, 2018 12:09:06 pm by Ribapuru »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #911: Dec 04, 2018 12:06:35 pm
      He’s always reminded me of Heskey. Now I know Emile has turned into this comic relief character now, but back in the day he really was a force to be reckoned with.

Said the same thing.

The lad would be twice the player if he had a bit of nastiness in him.
      Not too much, but enough so that defenders knew he wasn't F***ing about.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #912: Dec 04, 2018 12:22:12 pm
      I know we all love a feel good narrative but if the most bizarre goal ever scored on a Merseyside derby hadn't been his, I don't think anyone would be seriously considering him as a serious alternative for the near future - he most definitely wasn't being discussed as such before that.

Sorry to burst the bubble but it was just a very, very lucky goal :)

I don't get the comparisons with Heskey either, Origi is tall but faster and doesn't really know how to use his body. He's anything but a target man. Firmino is shorter but much stronger in the air, and even if he doesn't win the long balls, he'll at least make it difficult for defenders. Origi very often doesn't even jump for aerial contests. It's a similar issue that Solanke has, still not able to physically cope with defenders at a top level.

No matter what though, if anything he'll always be a cult hero for scoring the best goal of all time.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #913: Dec 04, 2018 12:37:21 pm
      I know we all love a feel good narrative but if the most bizarre goal ever scored on a Merseyside derby hadn't been his, I don't think anyone would be seriously considering him as a serious alternative for the near future - he most definitely wasn't being discussed as such before that.

I don't get the comparisons with Heskey either, Origi is tall but faster and doesn't really know how to use his body. He's anything but a target man. Firmino is shorter but much stronger in the air, and even if he doesn't win the long balls, he'll at least make it difficult for defenders. Origi very often doesn't even jump for aerial contests. It's a similar issue that Solanke has, still not able to physically cope with defenders at a top level.

No matter what though, if anything he'll always be a cult hero for scoring the best goal of all time.

The comparison as far as I'm concerned is that they both have/had the physical attributes to bully defenders, but neither of them does/did it.
      Big, strong players who don't use their physiques as much as they should.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #914: Dec 04, 2018 01:05:11 pm
      Divok Origi!!!

Lads got a part to play this season & after Klopp moved the camera towards Origi at the end of the game speaks volumes..
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #915: Dec 04, 2018 01:09:34 pm

Fair challenge Diego - only bit I’d question is the bit about Origi being faster.

Early / young Heskey was rapid.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #916: Dec 04, 2018 01:15:39 pm

Agreed goal was a fluke but he was in the right place due to strikers instinct.

About the Hesky comparisons, I often find player comparisons a bit racist, every time players get compared against the same ethnicity and not same football ability. Has anybody ever said Sturridge is a lot like Robbie Fowler etc..  I'll be honest here and say there's very little similarities in football regarding playing style between Hesky and Origi other than the fact they were both forwards. Hesky was a support striker.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #917: Dec 04, 2018 01:40:09 pm
      The comparison as far as I'm concerned is that they both have/had the physical attributes to bully defenders, but neither of them does/did it.
      Big, strong players who don't use their physiques as much as they should.

Fair challenge Diego - only bit I’d question is the bit about Origi being faster.

Early / young Heskey was rapid.

To be fair, you guys probably remember Heskey a lot better than I do. His were the early years of me following Liverpool, a time when not all matches were on TV in Brazil and there were no internet streams. So I might remember the stereotype better than the player himself. The way I remember him though - as much more of an aerial threat and target man than I see Origi. I think it's a fair point someone made that Origi might be better playing on the left to use his pace and cut inside for a shot, but then also for this position he wouldn't be very high in the pecking order for me.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #918: Dec 04, 2018 01:44:06 pm
      Agreed goal was a fluke but he was in the right place due to strikers instinct.

Of course Origi has merits in the goal, but 99% of the time the striker will be in the right place due to strikers instinct and the goalkeeper won't make a blunder, the ball won't hit the post and somehow fall into his head to score on an empty net.

A lot in football is about chance and luck. And then people build whole narratives around it. Origi is still nothing but a decent player no one really wanted in the starting eleven three days ago. Now he scores a bizarrely lucky goal and all has suddenly change. Nah, not for me. He might go on and improve and claim a spot in the Liverpool team but it won't be due to scoring against empty nets.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #919: Dec 04, 2018 01:50:14 pm
      To be fair, you guys probably remember Heskey a lot better than I do. His were the early years of me following Liverpool, a time when not all matches were on TV in Brazil and there were no internet streams. So I might remember the stereotype better than the player himself. The way I remember him though - as much more of an aerial threat and target man than I see Origi. I think it's a fair point someone made that Origi might be better playing on the left to use his pace and cut inside for a shot, but then also for this position he wouldn't be very high in the pecking order for me.

I think this pretty much nails it.

For me, he's another player with all the attributes to be a success, but he is just lacking something.
      Whether it is desire, killer instinct, or what, I have no idea.

Quick Reply