Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Divock Origi (Liverpool > AC Milan)

Read 216108 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Re: Divock Origi Player Thread
      Reply #920: Dec 04, 2018 01:51:41 pm
      To be fair, you guys probably remember Heskey a lot better than I do. His were the early years of me following Liverpool, a time when not all matches were on TV in Brazil and there were no internet streams. So I might remember the stereotype better than the player himself. The way I remember him though - as much more of an aerial threat and target man than I see Origi. I think it's a fair point someone made that Origi might be better playing on the left to use his pace and cut inside for a shot, but then also for this position he wouldn't be very high in the pecking order for me.

All good mate. I don’t think he has much of a future longer term but he might be some cover at least this term.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #921: Dec 04, 2018 02:02:56 pm
      Fair challenge Diego - only bit I’d question is the bit about Origi being faster.

Early / young Heskey was rapid.
      Hesky had a much stronger build, he's never been very pacey, players couldn't get near him because of build. Later on he used that build to win balls, since his stamina was lower later in his career.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #922: Dec 04, 2018 02:06:42 pm

To be fair, you guys probably remember Heskey a lot better than I do. His were the early years of me following Liverpool, a time when not all matches were on TV in Brazil and there were no internet streams. So I might remember the stereotype better than the player himself. The way I remember him though - as much more of an aerial threat and target man than I see Origi. I think it's a fair point someone made that Origi might be better playing on the left to use his pace and cut inside for a shot, but then also for this position he wouldn't be very high in the pecking order for me.

Heskey for me was one of them infuriating players ,big strong but just so inconsistent ,scored some brilliant goals and the following week look ordinary ,one of them you think had so much more and didn’t reach the heights for one reason or another just hard to put your finger on it ,
      Bit like that other lump down the east lancs .
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #923: Dec 04, 2018 02:08:56 pm
      I think he deserves massive credit for standing right in front of Pickford without fouling him and Pickford fu**ed up because he knew Origi was there. It may not qualify for goal of the season but for me it would be a contender for smartest goal taken by a player as most people including our own players where on the way back to defend.
      I wouldn't advocate a start based upon a cameo performance but its good to see he is looking sharp and could be from time to time a great alternative in tight games with 10 mins to go
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #924: Dec 04, 2018 02:15:23 pm
      I think he deserves massive credit for standing right in front of Pickford without fouling him and Pickford fu**ed up because he knew Origi was there. It may not qualify for goal of the season but for me it would be a contender for smartest goal taken by a player as most people including our own players where on the way back to defend.
      I wouldn't advocate a start based upon a cameo performance but its good to see he is looking sharp and could be from time to time a great alternative in tight games with 10 mins to go

Yep, it was a clever bit of play.
      No diving in means the ref doesn't get a chance to blow.

I agree he could be a useful option, but I also think he has so much more to offer if he can step it up a bit.
      He's still only 23, and is nowhere near his peak yet.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #925: Dec 04, 2018 02:17:03 pm
      To be fare only two players followed it up and both were subs , it’s a bit like gambling on the back post how many goals have we missed this season by no one gambling on the back stick. For all our front three,s prowess I don’t see them gambling much on the unexpected ,a proper poachers goal by Origi .
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #926: Dec 04, 2018 02:25:43 pm

Heskey for me was one of them infuriating players ,big strong but just so inconsistent ,scored some brilliant goals and the following week look ordinary ,one of them you think had so much more and didn’t reach the heights for one reason or another just hard to put your finger on it ,
      Bit like that other lump down the east lancs .

For a big lad Heskey hit the deck far too easily, I remember talk of Heskey sacrificing his game for Owen...

Taken from a Corballey re-tweet...

https://twitter.com/primeorigi/status/1069691565688438784?s=21
      « Last Edit: Dec 04, 2018 02:55:49 pm by Shabs »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #927: Dec 04, 2018 04:48:10 pm
      Of course Origi has merits in the goal, but 99% of the time the striker will be in the right place due to strikers instinct and the goalkeeper won't make a blunder, the ball won't hit the post and somehow fall into his head to score on an empty net.

A lot in football is about chance and luck. And then people build whole narratives around it. Origi is still nothing but a decent player no one really wanted in the starting eleven three days ago. Now he scores a bizarrely lucky goal and all has suddenly change. Nah, not for me. He might go on and improve and claim a spot in the Liverpool team but it won't be due to scoring against empty nets.

Not for me either Diego but he's in my starting XI on Wednesday. Firmino needs dropping/ a rest and Divock will be on a high.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #928: Dec 04, 2018 04:57:09 pm
      Agreed goal was a fluke but he was in the right place due to strikers instinct.

About the Hesky comparisons, I often find player comparisons a bit racist, every time players get compared against the same ethnicity and not same football ability. Has anybody ever said Sturridge is a lot like Robbie Fowler etc..  I'll be honest here and say there's very little similarities in football regarding playing style between Hesky and Origi other than the fact they were both forwards. Hesky was a support striker.

Keep your sly digs to yourself you rat. Trying to imply I’m a racist because I’m comparing a player with raw talent pace and strength but no ball control to a player that had raw talent pace and strength but no ball control.

You’re not big and you’re not clever. I see right through your little act. Whatever makes you feel better.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #929: Dec 04, 2018 05:34:38 pm
      Keep your sly digs to yourself you rat. Trying to imply I’m a racist because I’m comparing a player with raw talent pace and strength but no ball control to a player that had raw talent pace and strength but no ball control.

You’re not big and you’re not clever. I see right through your little act. Whatever makes you feel better.

With you there, that was off the wall stuff.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #930: Dec 04, 2018 06:33:15 pm

I didn't imply you are racist, I'm saying every time somebody compares a footballer they always compare against that players own ethnicity,.. for example Henry got compared against Ian Wright... Why not Dennis Bergkamp, it's not about you it's about these comparisons in general.. it's always the same. I have Asian family, if my son became a famous footballer.. I'd hope people compare him against all ethnicities.

I'll get back to the Origi subject, there's not a lot between Danny Ings and Origi in player style, both players with pace who can dribble and play anywhere on the front 3, but Origi is better.
      « Last Edit: Dec 04, 2018 06:39:18 pm by Ribapuru »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #931: Dec 04, 2018 06:35:42 pm
      With you there, that was off the wall stuff.
      No bmck, it's something that I noticed happen a lot, not just on these forums but everywhere and somebody needs to speak out.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #932: Dec 04, 2018 06:45:12 pm
      No bmck, it's something that I noticed happen a lot, not just on these forums but everywhere and somebody needs to speak out.

We're comparing Hendo, to Gini, to Fab, to etc etc all the time.  You can read whatever you want into what the guy posted, but reckon you're the only one who saw *that* in it  [in saying that, maybe one of the other two might]
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #933: Dec 04, 2018 06:48:11 pm
      We're comparing Hendo, to Gini, to Fab, to etc etc all the time.  You can read whatever you want into what the guy posted, but reckon you're the only one who saw *that* in it  [in saying that, maybe one of the other two might]
      They're current players not retired players, I'm not sure comparing to see who should fill a spot is in the same bucket as a general comparison. As I said, it's not just his comment.. I mentioned it after seeing it a lot from many people from many sources. If this is the reaction people get when pointing it out, no wonder nobody did.It's like if my son became a player for Spurs and got compared to Song rather than Gareth Bale... etc. The reason why it really stood out to me today is because Origi's playing style has never been like Hesky's.. not even close. Players should be compared by their style of football only, currently many people don't sadly.

Hesky, well built central striker that later became a support striker, not gifted in pace, many assists with his head. Simple footwork.
      Origi, fast player  that can play anywhere in the front 3. Clever footwork.
      « Last Edit: Dec 04, 2018 07:01:53 pm by Ribapuru »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #934: Dec 04, 2018 07:00:18 pm
      its the ultimate in sh*t stirring wummery to start throwing around racist accusation however subtle they are. If anyone cant see the comparisons with Divok and Emile then they are just being obtuse and deliberately trying to cause trouble on a forum.
      So much good stuff on this forum is undermined by just few fuckwits who cant stand not being centre of attention as they are in their own little pathetic world.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #935: Dec 04, 2018 07:03:50 pm
       :smack:  oh this still fresh still F***ing great.....
      https://streamable.com/eff3a
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #936: Dec 04, 2018 07:04:19 pm
      its the ultimate in sh*t stirring wummery to start throwing around racist accusation however subtle they are. If anyone cant see the comparisons with Divok and Emile then they are just being obtuse and deliberately trying to cause trouble on a forum.
      So much good stuff on this forum is undermined by just few fuckwits who cant stand not being centre of attention as they are in their own little pathetic world.
      Hesky, well built central striker that later became a support striker, not gifted in pace, many assists with his head. Simple footwork.
      Origi, fast player  that can play anywhere in the front 3. Clever footwork.

There are whole bunch of players who are more like Origi than Hesky.

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #937: Dec 04, 2018 07:06:09 pm
      They're current players not retired players, I'm not sure comparing to see who should fill a spot is in the same bucket as a general comparison. As I said, it's not just his comment.. I mentioned it after seeing it a lot from many people from many sources. If this is the reaction people get when pointing it out, no wonder nobody did.It's like if my son became a player for Spurs and got compared to Song rather than Gareth Bale... etc. The reason why it really stood out to me today is because Origi's playing style has never been like Hesky's.. not even close. Players should be compared by their style of football only, currently many people don't sadly.

Just think there's a lot of it about these days, people finding insult where there is none, then accusing others of God knows what - being this, that or the other.
      Obviously sometimes it's valid, but a lot of times it's ridiculous.
      When people don't feel it's valid, of course they'll react - and so they should, otherwise garbage goes uncollected.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #938: Dec 04, 2018 07:09:42 pm
      Just think there's a lot of it about these days, people finding insult where there is none, then accusing others of God knows what - being this, that or the other.
      Obviously sometimes it's valid, but a lot of times it's ridiculous.
      When people don't feel it's valid, of course they'll react - and so they should, otherwise garbage goes uncollected.
      I understand what you are saying, but with footballer comparisons I noticed it a lot.. Sterling, Mbappe and a whole list of players have been compared to Pele, why not Diego Maradonna? I will forget about it now, even though it didn't go down well it is probably going to make people more considerate when comparing.

Origi reminds me of Fowler, Keane, perhaps Ngog but not Hesky.. not one bit.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #939: Dec 04, 2018 07:18:14 pm

For a start, both players have ball control so that is wrong, secondly Origi doesn't have strengh at all, he has pace. Hesky was not that fast but had strengh and short bursts of pace, Origi runs fast for long periods of time. Hesky was a centre forward then support striker, Origi play anywhere in the front 3. I could probably write a whole page why their playing styles are nothing alike.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #940: Dec 04, 2018 07:22:25 pm
      For a start, both players have ball control so that is wrong, secondly Origi doesn't have strengh at all, he has pace. Hesky was not that fast but had strengh and short bursts of pace, Origi runs fast for long periods of time. Hesky was a centre forward then support striker, Origi play anywhere in the front 3. I could probably write a whole page why there playing styles are nothing alike.

Sorry but the comparison between Heskey and Origi is spot on - also heard it on 5live last night when they discussed the game.

I expect you prob supported someone else when Heskey played for us
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #941: Dec 04, 2018 07:27:24 pm
      Sorry but the comparison between Heskey and Origi is spot on - also heard it on 5live last night when they discussed the game.

Hesky scored most his goals as a poacher before he became a support striker, Origi is nothing like either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-MHU_IbCo

Hesky is more like Linekar than Origi.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #942: Dec 04, 2018 07:29:26 pm

Beggars belief.

Anyone who saw a young Heskey will testify he was rapid AND powerful.

Yes he slowed down a bit in the second half of his career but at Leicester and early part with us he was a flyer.

Doesn’t matter though - I obviously mis-remember what I watched with my own eyes.

Quick Reply