Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

The 'as it stands right now' starting 11

Read 41314 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: The 'as it stands right now' starting 11
      Reply #322: Jul 27, 2016 10:13:33 pm
      So if hypothetically no one else comes in, my lineup vs. Arsenal would be

Karius
      Clyne Klavan Lovren Moreno
      Can  Grujic
      Mané Coutinho Firmino
      Sturridge

That defence really is worrying.  Lovren has had one terrible season, then one slightly better season, so we have no idea how he will turn out this season.  Klavan we know little about, same with Matip.  Moreno is his usual terrible left back self.  Clyne is the only one we know we can rely on.  The back four has a lot of question marks to say the least.

The attack seems relatively straightforward.  Coutinho and Sturridge are probably the first names on the teamsheet.  Firmino finished strong last season so he is in there.  And we aren't going to spend £30m quid in Mané just for him to sit the bench.

I'm assuming then we'll have a two in midfield.  I think it's fair to say that literally every one of our CMs has a question mark over their heads.  I rate Can highly but he was very up and down last season.  I think he's probably the closest thing to a starter in midfield.  The question is, who will he be paired with.  Some of the previous posts have Wijnaldum in there with him.  I've been very impressed with Grujic thus far in pre-season, and he's far more defensively minded than Wijnaldum.  So if he continues to impress I would have him in there alongside Can.
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #323: Jul 29, 2016 07:00:17 am
      Another option of 3-5-2 to allow Sturridge have a partner upfront while still having strenght and speed in the middle.

Karius
        Matip Lovren Klavan
              Can Milner
      Mane Firmino Wijnaldum
            Sturridge Origi

Subs: Mignolet, Clyne, Ings, Moreno, Coutinho, Sahko, Henderson, Grujic.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #324: Jul 29, 2016 09:21:15 am
      Another option of 3-5-2 to allow Sturridge have a partner upfront while still having strenght and speed in the middle.

Karius
        Matip Lovren Klavan
              Can Milner
      Mane Firmino Wijnaldum
            Sturridge Origi

I like that line up. Has Klopp ever played with 3 at the back?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #325: Jul 29, 2016 10:33:42 am

Karius
        Matip Lovren Klavan
              Can Milner
      Mane Firmino Wijnaldum
            Sturridge Origi

Yeah right! Spend 55mil this summer and play them as wing backs!

In fact, 3-4-3 is the only system where I would be comfortable to put Moreno in a starting 11.

Karius
      Lovren-Matip-Klavan
      Clyne-Wijnaldum-Can-Moreno
      Mane-Coutinho
      Firmino

Playing Milner as a wing back also has its advantages with added protection behind and we can make best use of his crossing skills. And Gini had a pretty good world up in that system for the Dutch.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #326: Jul 29, 2016 03:57:13 pm
      So if hypothetically no one else comes in, my lineup vs. Arsenal would be

Karius
      Can  Grujic
      Mané Coutinho Firmino
      Sturridge

That defence really is worrying.  Lovren has had one terrible season, then one slightly better season, so we have no idea how he will turn out this season.  Klavan we know little about, same with Matip.  Moreno is his usual terrible left back self.  Clyne is the only one we know we can rely on.  The back four has a lot of question marks to say the least.

The attack seems relatively straightforward.  Coutinho and Sturridge are probably the first names on the teamsheet.  Firmino finished strong last season so he is in there.  And we aren't going to spend £30m quid in Mané just for him to sit the bench.

I'm assuming then we'll have a two in midfield.  I think it's fair to say that literally every one of our CMs has a question mark over their heads.  I rate Can highly but he was very up and down last season.  I think he's probably the closest thing to a starter in midfield.  The question is, who will he be paired with.  Some of the previous posts have Wijnaldum in there with him.  I've been very impressed with Grujic thus far in pre-season, and he's far more defensively minded than Wijnaldum.  So if he continues to impress I would have him in there alongside Can.

I'd have Matip & Lovren mate inbetween Clyne & Moreno, or new LB, Can & Wijnaldum in front of them, a three of Mane, Coutinho, Firmino, and Sturridge as Striker,
                               Karius
             Clyne Matip Lovren Moreno
                      Can   Wijnaldum
           Mane.     Coutinho.    Firmino
                            Sturridge

Bench ; Mignolet, Klav, Milner, Grujic, Hendo, Lallana, Ings/Origi

Don't think Grujic will be quite ready for the first few games, whereas Wijnaldum is,
      I've stuck Milner in there cos of his versatility,  Hendo needs to step up which I think he will, Sakho would be my preference as sub cb but needs to suck Jürgen's dick for a bit first, Lallana's in there cos he'll thrive coming off the bench and it's a toss up between Ings & Divock depending on the oppo,
      against the goons tho I'd play Ings.

YNWA
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #327: Jul 30, 2016 12:41:49 am
                    Karius
              Can  Grujic / Wijnaldum
      Mané Coutinho Firmino
              Sturridge / Origi

Its looking scary already.
      Notice that on the team listings in previous posts there is no place for Hendo , Lallana or Sakho ,    which I would agree with.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #328: Jul 30, 2016 08:15:10 am
                        Migs
      Clyne  Lovren  Matip  Moreno
                   Can  Hendo
      Mane   Wijnaldum  Coutinho
                    Sturridge
      Migs has to come in now cos of the long lay off to Karius. We've got some good options upfront to come off the bench with Origi and ings. I've gone for Wijnaldum over firmino mainly because I don't think firmino looks fit at the moment and Hendo in midfield because he has it all to prove this season and I think he should be given the chance to do just that.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #329: Jul 30, 2016 10:25:13 am
      Karius  Manninger
              Can  Grujic / Wijnaldum
      Mané Coutinho Firmino
              Sturridge / Origi

Its looking scary already.
      Notice that on the team listings in previous posts there is no place for Hendo , Lallana or Sakho ,    which I would agree with.

I'd trust Manninger in front of meltdown man.

Agree completely. But with them or without them, it's good to see we aren't stretched for players in midfield. Be interesting to see what happens to Hendo, personally can see a change of captain happening sooner rather than later because it's hard to fit Hendo into our starting 11 at this stage IMO, hard to even find room for him on the bench.

Agree.

Can for Captain .

Milner would be good but will he get the starts ?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,281 posts | 1663 
      Reply #330: Jul 30, 2016 10:46:28 am
      Coutinho has to be our 10 no question so ineffective out wide. Firminho does not start Wijnaldum , Mane and Sturridge the other 3 up top.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #331: Aug 02, 2016 07:30:25 pm
      The three big questions now, two of which have to do with the attacking midfield role.

1. If we assume Can and Wijnaldum are both starters (I do), than do you have Firminho as attacking mid in front of Wijnaldum and Can?  That makes us vulnerable defensively as both Emre and Georginio like to get forward. Or do you play Henderson (looks much healthier now) as a d-mid with Can and Wijnaldum pushed farther forward, which leaves Firminho out.

2. OR...do you find a way to get Sturridge and Origi on the park at the same time, which I think would have to be Sturrdige playing behind Origi (maybe the other way around)? either way, with Coutinho and Mane fixtures in the starting XI, that again would leave Firminho (and Henderson) out of the starting lineup. Lallana doesn't start in any of these situations which is punctuated by his "strike" on goal from a Coutinho setup last night. Shot was closer to the corner flag...

3. Moreno or Milner (or someone new, he hopes) at left back.

I suppose a fourth might be which two start at center back. That falls more under the category of a good problem to have.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #332: Aug 02, 2016 07:41:28 pm
      I don't like the idea of a midfield two of Can and Wijnaldum, for me Wijnaldum has to play as the furthest forward in a midfield three. That's probably the most important thing for me. I would expect we will start with Henderson, Can and the Dutchman in the middle of the park for the first game. I just hope Jürgen puts Henderson out of his misery and takes the armband off of him, let him concentrate on his own game.

As for where Coutinho should play, I've got no problem with him coming off of the left hand side and popping up all over the place, he has had plenty of good games from that position. I'd play Mane on the right and I suspect that Origi will get the start up top at the season's beginning. Hopefully Studge doesn't sulk and try to angle a transfer elsewhere if that is the case because I would expect him to win the job back.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #333: Aug 02, 2016 08:21:49 pm
      I think the starting 11 is going to change game by game, certainly the front 4 will.  I'm not sure we'll see a midfield 3 either even though we've used it throughout pre season.  We've done it mainly to utilise the players we had available, rather than how we'll set up in most games.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #334: Aug 02, 2016 11:14:42 pm
      Maybe not the right thread but management probably should look at bringing in another central defender, at least on loan for half a season. Right now our primary cover at that position is Andre Wisdom, and if you didn't know he is NOT good enough. Matip still hasn't played, Lucas, Sakho, Gomez are all injured and seem to be out for a while longer. Can't afford to go into the season just  hoping Lovren and Klavan stay healthy.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #335: Aug 03, 2016 09:44:59 am
      Looking at dortmund under Klopp, there's a lot of short one touch passing in diamonds and always forward. Theres also alot of iratic passing into space that if it comes off then great but if they lose possesion then that's when the gegen pressing kicks in. If we are to play like this I'm not sure Can would play in a 2 man midfield and it would suit Hendo and Wijnaldum more.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 339 
      Reply #336: Aug 03, 2016 10:53:10 am
      Looks like we've got some right conundrums over selection for the Arsenal game.  Does anybody agree with my assessment that there's nobody really shouting 'pick me!' other than Klavan and Lovren and then more because of the lack of other options, than anything else.  I'm consoling myself with the thought that these pre-season games aren't usually indicative of how players or teams actually play come the season itself.

Midfield looks iffy (especially without the options of Allen and Lucas), I'd agree with Robbie the Z and Scottbot.  Lots of options -but it seems we sacrifice either defensive solidity or attacking flair.  I'd rather go to the Emirates with the solidity of 3 mids (Can, Hendo, Wilnaldum), and pick a front 3 with pace, which means Origi, Mane and Firmino, although I'm loathe to leave out Coutinho, who would replace Firmino.  Sturridge and one of the Brazilian lads to come on later.

Manninger in goal (he may have something to prove against the gooners, and looks less error-prone than our Belgian friend).  I think Mignolet affects the decisiveness of the defence.

Defence - Clyne, Klavan, Lovren, Milner.  Moreno has the pace to worry Arsenal but their attackers will make mincemeat of him with his mistakes.

That's my take on it, let me know if I'm off-the-mark!

harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #337: Aug 03, 2016 04:27:36 pm
      With everyone 100% fit, I'd go with:

Karius
      Clyne - Matip - Sakho - Moreno
      Can - Gigi
      Coutinho
      Mane - Studge - Origi

We would certainly ship a fair few goals, but I'd expect us to outscore most teams :)

With our injuries:

Manninger
      Clyne - Matip* - Klavan - Moreno
      Can - Gigi
      Coutinho
      Mane - Studge - Origi

* Matip is supposed to be fit for Arsenal, but if not then Lovren slots in
      « Last Edit: Aug 03, 2016 04:44:16 pm by harrydunn08 »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #338: Aug 03, 2016 06:26:52 pm
      Looks like we've got some right conundrums over selection for the Arsenal game.  Does anybody agree with my assessment that there's nobody really shouting 'pick me!' other than Klavan and Lovren and then more because of the lack of other options, than anything else. 
      I agree with Klavan but think when Matip is back, he puts Lovren on the bench. Lovren hasn't been that great during preseason.

For me the bank on starters would include the following:

Klavan
      Matip (assuming his injury isn't that bad)
      Clyne
      Mane
      Coutinho
      Can

Pretty sure everyone else will be rotated based on form/health.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #339: Aug 03, 2016 06:32:29 pm
      I agree with Klavan but think when Matip is back, he puts Lovren on the bench. Lovren hasn't been that great during preseason.

For me the bank on starters would include the following:

Klavan
      Matip (assuming his injury isn't that bad)
      Clyne
      Mane
      Coutinho
      Can

Pretty sure everyone else will be rotated based on form/health.

Althought it's good to see how certain players do, pre-season doesn't really matter unless it's fitness levels.

We've had so many players in the past have great pre-seasons but be absolutely terrible in the regular season and vice versa.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #340: Aug 04, 2016 01:35:19 pm
      I think we might go 4-3-3

Migs

Clyne
      Lovren
      Klavan
      Moreno

Can
      Hendo
      Gini

Couts
      Origi / Studge
      Mane
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #341: Aug 05, 2016 04:09:39 am
      it's ironic.  it's fate.  it's something

for all the hype and excitement of the transfer window.... there is a very good chance BOTH Migs and Moreno will be in the starting 11 for the first game vs arsenal :)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #342: Aug 05, 2016 07:41:34 am

With our injuries:

Manninger
      Clyne - Matip* - Klavan - Moreno
      Can - Gigi
      Coutinho
      Mane - Studge - Origi

* Matip is supposed to be fit for Arsenal, but if not then Lovren slots in

Manninger
      Clyne - Matip* - Klavan - Moreno  Milner
      Can - Gigi
      Coutinho
      Mane - Studge - Origi

Thats the team but I'd stick Milner in @  left back .
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #343: Aug 05, 2016 11:41:28 am
      Atm my X1 V Arse,

Manninger
         Clyne  Klavan Lovren Milner
                       Henderson
             Wijnaldum          Can
            Mane.              Coutinho         
                      Sturridge

If Matip is fit he's in for Klav, Manninger will make us more solid and will reassure those in front, Milner @LB will suffice against Arse away, Henderson protecting back four and link up midfield with Wij & Can, Mane  in for very obvious reasons likewise Cou and Sturridge as he's our main man up front.

Can't trust Mignolet he's simply not good enough, he's had enough opportunities to stamp his authority and hasn't,
      We need to get off to the best possible start, like most I feel Moreno is the weakest link so in comes Milner who will do a ample job whilst retaining a attacking threat,

Winning @ the Emirates would set the tone for us moving forward these first few matches, if we can get into a winning habit early it will build momentum and confidence, two ingredients that can give us a mentality similar to that of season 13/14,
      There will be bumps along the way that's a given its how we deal with and react to the bumps that could determine just how far we can go this season,
      I'm confident enough to say we will be challenging for a CL place, but I'm not ruling out a title challenge, not until it's mathematically impossible,
      I have good vibes about this season, I believe we will do well and surprise a few of our rivals.

YNWA

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #344: Aug 05, 2016 03:11:37 pm
      Atm my X1 V Arse,

Manninger
         Clyne  Klavan Lovren Milner
                       Henderson
             Wijnaldum          Can
            Mane.              Coutinho         
                      Sturridge

If Matip is fit he's in for Klav, Manninger will make us more solid and will reassure those in front, Milner @LB will suffice against Arse away, Henderson protecting back four and link up midfield with Wij & Can, Mane  in for very obvious reasons likewise Cou and Sturridge as he's our main man up front.

Can't trust Mignolet he's simply not good enough, he's had enough opportunities to stamp his authority and hasn't,
      We need to get off to the best possible start, like most I feel Moreno is the weakest link so in comes Milner who will do a ample job whilst retaining a attacking threat,

Winning @ the Emirates would set the tone for us moving forward these first few matches, if we can get into a winning habit early it will build momentum and confidence, two ingredients that can give us a mentality similar to that of season 13/14,
      There will be bumps along the way that's a given its how we deal with and react to the bumps that could determine just how far we can go this season,
      I'm confident enough to say we will be challenging for a CL place, but I'm not ruling out a title challenge, not until it's mathematically impossible,
      I have good vibes about this season, I believe we will do well and surprise a few of our rivals.

YNWA

Question for you: I get that you would choose Manninger for this match, but do you expect Jürgen to?

Quick Reply