Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will we have a happy Tuesday?

Yes, Liverpool win.
      48 (87.3%)
      No, Utd win.
      7 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Liverpool 1:3 Manchester United: International Cup Final thread.

Read 20544 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Liverpool v Manchester United: International Cup Final Tuesday 1:00 BST
      Reply #460: Aug 05, 2014 03:14:12 am
      So we're all in agreement then. Kely and Johnson have signed their own death warrants in this pre season and this match in particular.

Considering they're playing in death penalty observing Florida tonight, I can think of better places to do that.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #461: Aug 05, 2014 03:14:47 am
      Play Gerrard up front.
      Can, Hendo and Coutinho in midfield.

Just f**king do it.
      Wouldn't mind seeing it. Thoughts of Lambert starting matches worries me.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #462: Aug 05, 2014 03:15:00 am
      Two things:

1 - Lambert is new & now playing for his boyhood club - that means he's going to be trying hard as f**k to impress and get that first goal.
      2 - I've not seen many people call Borini "sh*t" for missing. Everybody misses chances.

I think you're just seeing what you want to see.

Maybe but Borini's character means he has been trying equally as hard to succeed - I've seen him snatch at chances too - often when he's injured.

In my opinion it's pretty obvious reds over-rate certain players - look at the example of Kelly tonight. If he was Ukrainian, for instance, I think he would have been given the boot a long time ago.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #463: Aug 05, 2014 03:15:23 am
      Rodgers interview there. It's almost as if he thinks this was just a preseason game.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #464: Aug 05, 2014 03:15:40 am
      1. How was the first goal Mignolets fault? Rooneys finish put him out of the picture.

He should be coming out with some intent and show some bollocks to pluck that out of the air or at least punch it out.  as it was he just stood there not sure what to do.  Then when Rooney DOES get it he goes ACROSS Mignolet??

come on mate.  wake up.  He's shaky and indecisive and lacks the testicular fortitude to be the number one keeper at our club.  This isn't Sunderland.  sorry.

To be fair, the defense is atrocious, Johnson needs to go, Kelly is awful, Toure is useless.  Mignolet isn't the only one not up to scratch.

The only difference is none of those three are in serious contention for starting places this season.  Mignolet is.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #465: Aug 05, 2014 03:17:02 am
      I think he was mainly brought in for when Brendan favors a change of system that would favor Lambert's style of play, using his hold up potential and his strength.

okay but he gives the ball away like it's going out of style. 

How can you be a hold up player if you can't keep hold of the ball?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #466: Aug 05, 2014 03:17:07 am
      We should sign Diame to replace Mignolet.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #467: Aug 05, 2014 03:17:53 am
      We should sign Diame to replace Mignolet.

probably wouldn't be much worse!    ;D

anyone remember a few years back when Pepe got sent off and we didn't have any more subs and Enrique had to go in goal for a few minutes?
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #468: Aug 05, 2014 03:18:56 am
      For those railing against Lambert, did we think he'd magically turn into Usain Bolt just because he signed for us? As far as I know, he wasn't brought here to run past defenders. I'm sure we can debate what he WAS brought here for, but pretty sure it wasn't to replace Suarez. I think he was mainly brought in for when Brendan favors a change of system that would favor Lambert's style of play, using his hold up potential and his strength. He's definitely not going to win any foot races out there. Seems to me like he'd be better off playing with another striker where he isn't the main focus.

Either way, I'm not going to get too upset over a friendly, although I think it does expose our perennial faults at fullback. Hopefully those faults are to be addressed here in short order.

We all know he's no Usain Bolt, but out of all our players in pre season, Lambert has looked the unfittest player by quite a significant margin, and he's played more minutes than any other outfield player (I think).

I think he can be a good player for is, but there's no denying he's looked particular poor so far. I can't comment on his ability much until he's played for us in competitive games but my worry is his (lack of) fitness.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,931 posts | 825 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #469: Aug 05, 2014 03:19:03 am
      He should be coming out with some intent and show some bollocks to pluck that out of the air or at least punch it out.  as it was he just stood there not sure what to do.  Then when Rooney DOES get it he goes ACROSS Mignolet??

come on mate.  wake up.  He's shaky and indecisive and lacks the testicular fortitude to be the number one keeper at our club.  This isn't Sunderland.  sorry.

To be fair, the defense is atrocious, Johnson needs to go, Kelly is awful, Toure is useless.  Mignolet isn't the only one not up to scratch.

The only difference is none of those three are in serious contention for starting places this season.  Mignolet is.

The cross didn't look like it was going that deep to be fair and the shot did go across him but there was no way he could have got to it.

Yes his shaky I don't need to wake up to see that, I still don't think the goal was his fault.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #470: Aug 05, 2014 03:19:04 am
      Unlike Mig at least he would come off his line!
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #471: Aug 05, 2014 03:20:36 am
      We all know he's no Usain Bolt, but out of all our players in pre season, Lambert has looked the unfittest player by quite a significant margin, and he's played more minutes than any other outfield player (I think).

I think he can be a good player for is, but there's no denying he's looked particular poor so far. I can't comment on his ability much until he's played for us in competitive games but my worry is his (lack of) fitness.

Puzzling - Southampton under Pocchetino were known as a very hard running club but first Shaw and now Lambert look behind the others in terms of fitness.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #472: Aug 05, 2014 03:22:57 am
      okay but he gives the ball away like it's going out of style. 

How can you be a hold up player if you can't keep hold of the ball?

He gave the ball away a couple of times, and other times made some nifty passes.

A lot of players gave the ball away....and I noticed that some of them you didn't make mention of that. Which tells me it has nothing to do with the performance and more to do with your prior perception of the player.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #473: Aug 05, 2014 03:23:14 am
      Everyone calm down.

Lambert is actually a really great player and super fast and great on the ball.

Mignolet is an amazing keeper and if he doesn't come off his line enough, well that's just fine and dandy. 

I know this because this is what we are told.

Who cares what actually happens in the games.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,931 posts | 825 
      Reply #474: Aug 05, 2014 03:25:31 am
      Everyone calm down.

Mignolet is an amazing keeper and if he doesn't come off his line enough, well that's just fine and dandy. 

Who even gives this guy votes for his posts? 70 more than me I feel insulted tbh. His a troll.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #475: Aug 05, 2014 03:25:32 am
      Everyone calm down.

I haven't seen anyone make either one of those claims.

Mignolet was poor tonight in my opininon. Lambert didn't stand out but in my opinion, the team wasn't really setup to showcase his strengths. Not to mention it appears he's still getting used to playing with his new teammates.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #476: Aug 05, 2014 03:26:42 am
      Thought we played very well until their 1st goal, then we kinda lost our way. Can clearly see our pressing is immense. Just want to point out a few things that we can improve on.

#1. I thought Coutinho played good, but I think he is wasted out wide. He could offer a hell of a lot more as a #10. Our passing without him there isn't as positive.
      #2. I'm really unsure about Can playing in that box-box role, I think he needs to sit next to Gerrard.
      #3. We really need better full backs.
      #4. Need a fit Sturridge & a new Striker/Forward.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #477: Aug 05, 2014 03:28:26 am
      Who even gives this guy votes for his posts? 70 more than me I feel insulted tbh. His a troll.

I'll give you one!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,931 posts | 825 
      Reply #478: Aug 05, 2014 03:29:37 am

And I'd still think you're a wum.

P.S Nadal > Federer
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #479: Aug 05, 2014 03:30:21 am
      So this is how the Aussies feel.
      It's 3.30am and for a lot of that game Liverpool were the better team.
      Sturridge, Lallana, Markovic, Flanagan to come back.
      Two new fullbacks hopefully.

Yeah it's a bollocks that Sturridge, Lallana and Markovic were injured
      because that United defence is dire. Reckon a thumping awaits if they
      sign no defenders.

Right. Good night.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #480: Aug 05, 2014 03:30:57 am
      And I'd still think you're a wum.

P.S Nadal > Federer

Looks like you've pulled.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #481: Aug 05, 2014 03:31:20 am

unfortunately you're right as of late!

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #482: Aug 05, 2014 03:31:31 am
      A lot of players gave the ball away....and I noticed that some of them you didn't make mention of that.

Okay but you just said he's here to provide hold up play, so presumably his being able to keep the ball is especially important, considering how slow he is and how little he contributes in other departments.

it has nothing to do with the performance and more to do with your prior perception of the player.

Actually I had no prior perception of him.  In fact if I had any, it was very high---his free kicks last season were excellent, never missed a penalty, seemed to be a solid backup, a different kind of striker that we don't have.

I've watched every minute of every single preseason game so far and he looks atrocious.  You say he's a hold up player but he can't keep hold of the ball.  He doesn't really look that strong, his alleged aerial ability is less than impressive, and he's not even trying all the time.  Against Milan Ibe worked his arse off to get to the endline, only to find Lambert casually strolling into the box.

For his miniscule fee it was worth a punt but really, even if the player is on a free, they should seriously be able to do SOMETHING.  Let's hope he improves because he really can't get any worse than he's been thus far.

As for the others: it seems like it's "only preseason" when it's convenient.  No one is saying "calm down, Sterling isn't that great just because he does well in pre-season."  Why?  because he showed the exact same thing last season---that he's absolutely brilliant.  His pre-season form just corroborates that.

The same with Coutinho.

And the same with Johnson---no one is saying "just preaseason" because they know how poor he was last season, and they see this is a continuation of that.

And yet apparently with someone like Mignolet, it's "only preseason."  Even though he was shaky last season as well, thus making it absolutely not surprising that he's still shaky.

Quick Reply