Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Javier Manquillo

Read 31179 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Re: Javier Manquillo Player Thread
      Reply #184: May 01, 2015 08:40:11 am
      Cant believe that this guy is not being given a chance, may not be the best going forward but i prefer fullbacks who can defend. Something Johnson has forgotten about.
      I dont how long its going to take Rodgers to realise that Can is not a RCB or a fullback.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,536 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #185: May 01, 2015 09:53:43 am
      This lad will probably go back to spain, Sure we have a 2 year loan deal, probably cut short.

but the flanno Injury & Johnno leaving puts this RB \ RCB position a priority.

As mentioned above possibly Wisdom has a shout at this now.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #186: May 01, 2015 10:09:30 am
      This lad will probably go back to spain, Sure we have a 2 year loan deal, probably cut short.

but the flanno Injury & Johnno leaving puts this RB \ RCB position a priority.

As mentioned above possibly Wisdom has a shout at this now.

i like Wisdom but will be surprised if he gets much of a look in, i like Manquillo and would like to see him play, call me old fashioned but playing players in their preferred position tends to work
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #187: May 01, 2015 11:36:04 am
      na not for me he looked lost playing for us, although he was a willing runner and worked hard (which is great) he's no better than Wisdom and i would have said flanno but his LFC time seems to be up with this latest set back and an expiring contract.
      Send him back and go out and buy a decent RB
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #188: May 25, 2015 10:42:13 pm
      whyyyyy wonttttttt youuuuuuu playyyyyyyyyy himmmmmmmmm
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,536 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #189: May 26, 2015 10:41:06 am
      i like Wisdom but will be surprised if he gets much of a look in, i like Manquillo and would like to see him play, call me old fashioned but playing players in their preferred position tends to work

Unless we buy a top top RB, that is what we will do, give wisdom games until flanno is fit.

Even if we do get a top RB, id still keep wisdom, as he can play RCB as well, as part of the 3.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #190: May 26, 2015 11:57:04 pm
      Weird that papers stating we will extend the deal. Rodgers hasn't looked convinced by him all season.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #191: May 27, 2015 03:02:58 pm
      Manquillo is a weird one. I think we sometimes forget that before coming to Liverpool he only made 6 top flight league appearances for Atletico, whereas he made 10 here in one season. Still very raw, but I think there's a player in there.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #192: May 27, 2015 03:36:51 pm
      Manquillo is a weird one. I think we sometimes forget that before coming to Liverpool he only made 6 top flight league appearances for Atletico, whereas he made 10 here in one season. Still very raw, but I think there's a player in there.

at least he can defend not a bad start for a defender.Moreno is possibly the worst defensive fullback I have seen in a red shirt.Yes fast and pacy but he has been responsible for conceding goals since his very first game.I guess another player with potential
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #193: May 27, 2015 03:53:37 pm
      at least he can defend not a bad start for a defender.Moreno is possibly the worst defensive fullback I have seen in a red shirt.Yes fast and pacy but he has been responsible for conceding goals since his very first game.I guess another player with potential

At Sevilla Moreno was used on the left of midfield at times.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #194: May 27, 2015 04:26:16 pm
      One thing I like about Manquillo is his work rate. The kid works his ass off and you can tell. Either way I won't be disappointed.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #195: May 27, 2015 06:14:47 pm

He really can't defend that well.
      He isn't very good at attacking.
      He doesn't have a lot of pace.

All that can be taught though, pace aside and teaching him better positioning will help with that, and he has the makings of a decent player.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #196: May 27, 2015 06:38:05 pm

All that can be taught though, pace aside and teaching him better positioning will help with that, and he has the makings of a decent player.

he is very short of 1 st team action makes you wonder why he was sent here when we have sent similar players out on loan.
      One paper did suggest we sell him it could be FSG new financial planning takeplayers on loan and whislt nobody is watching sell them.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #197: May 27, 2015 10:11:49 pm

Then why waste time with him and not loan out Ilori or Wisdom ? He can't be better than them, that's for sure.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #198: May 29, 2015 05:40:05 am
      Then why waste time with him and not loan out Ilori or Wisdom ? He can't be better than them, that's for sure.

Ilori and Wisdom are centre halves, although Wisdom seems to have played LB and RB at West Brom this season. It's obvious why Manquillo was brought in and players like those two were loaned out, because of the kind of players they are. BR thought Manquillo would be back up for that kind of full back role. Wisdom will never be that kind of full back we require and Ilori isn't even a full back.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #199: May 29, 2015 12:23:58 pm
      end this loan with wisdom coming back he will slot right into the team as RB unless we buy a better RWB this summer. clyne has been mentioned but if UTD want him he will go there.
      JayC1560
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #200: May 31, 2015 03:42:19 pm
      Apparently he's back off to Madrid. A close friends Mum is a cleaner for a few of the players (Manquillo, Borini) and according to her his loan has been cancelled and he's going back.

I'm very aware that it's one of those sources, but thought I'd share  :laugh:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #201: May 31, 2015 04:24:40 pm
      One of the most pointless loans I've ever seen. Normally you can see something in a 20 year old but I saw nothing. Pretty bang average, he seemed like a player from the early days of Rafa. A bit of a Nunez/Josemi type player.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #202: May 31, 2015 04:41:51 pm
      And to think there are a few that don't want to 'waste' money on Clyne because we have him :D
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #203: Jun 09, 2015 09:16:21 am
      One of the most pointless loans I've ever seen. Normally you can see something in a 20 year old but I saw nothing. Pretty bang average, he seemed like a player from the early days of Rafa. A bit of a Nunez/Josemi type player.

Agree completely. And it's more damning when we had Wisdom or Ilori who could have played some games instead of Manquillo.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #204: Jun 09, 2015 09:26:11 am
      He is better than Can at RB.

That would have made too sensible for Rodgers! Instead he tries to make a point to the club by ignoring a player he obviously did not buy but by doing so to the detriment of Can and LFC.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #205: Jun 09, 2015 12:19:04 pm

I disagree mate.

What I seen was a solid fullback who had not much end product going forward although he did play most of his games when we decided to start to launch balls into the box.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #206: Jul 03, 2015 01:29:17 pm
      Liverpool look to return Javier Manquillo a year early from loan deal
      avier Manquillo’s Liverpool career may be brought to a premature end as a result of Nathaniel Clyne’s arrival at Anfield from Southampton for £12.5m.

The 21-year-old Manquillo joined Brendan Rodgers’ team on an unusual two-year loan agreement from Atlético Madrid last summer but the right-back saw his first team opportunities dry up in the second half of the season, due in part to the manager’s switch to a 3-5-2 formation.

He made 19 appearances but only three in 2015, none of them in the Premier League and the last coming as a late substitute against Besiktas in February.

Manquillo’s future prospects diminished further this week with Liverpool’s capture of the England right-back Clyne. Despite the departure of Glen Johnson and Jon Flanagan’s injury problems, the club are considering releasing the Spanish youngster midway through his loan deal. Andre Wisdom, another rival for Manquillo’s position, recently signed a new four-year contract at Anfield.

Liverpool need to reach agreement with both Manquillo and Atlético to end the defender’s stay this summer and have not reached that stage yet. But the exit of the Under-21 Spain international is being explored as Liverpool, having made six signings so far this summer, look to trim the squad.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/02/javier-manquillo-liverpool-atletico-madrid-end-loan-deal

Not sure what to think of this. Personally, I'd keep Manquillo another year. His wages can't really cost the club very much at all, and you never know. He might pick it up a bit with it being his second year in English football. I guess it really depends on how much Brendan rates Wisdom and Gomez.

Quick Reply