Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Javier Manquillo

Read 31149 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Javier Manquillo Player Thread
      Reply #207: Jul 03, 2015 02:23:01 pm
      Liverpool look to return Javier Manquillo a year early from loan deal
      avier Manquillo’s Liverpool career may be brought to a premature end as a result of Nathaniel Clyne’s arrival at Anfield from Southampton for £12.5m.

The 21-year-old Manquillo joined Brendan Rodgers’ team on an unusual two-year loan agreement from AtlĂ©tico Madrid last summer but the right-back saw his first team opportunities dry up in the second half of the season, due in part to the manager’s switch to a 3-5-2 formation.

He made 19 appearances but only three in 2015, none of them in the Premier League and the last coming as a late substitute against Besiktas in February.

Manquillo’s future prospects diminished further this week with Liverpool’s capture of the England right-back Clyne. Despite the departure of Glen Johnson and Jon Flanagan’s injury problems, the club are considering releasing the Spanish youngster midway through his loan deal. Andre Wisdom, another rival for Manquillo’s position, recently signed a new four-year contract at Anfield.

Liverpool need to reach agreement with both Manquillo and AtlĂ©tico to end the defender’s stay this summer and have not reached that stage yet. But the exit of the Under-21 Spain international is being explored as Liverpool, having made six signings so far this summer, look to trim the squad.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/02/javier-manquillo-liverpool-atletico-madrid-end-loan-deal

Not sure what to think of this. Personally, I'd keep Manquillo another year. His wages can't really cost the club very much at all, and you never know. He might pick it up a bit with it being his second year in English football. I guess it really depends on how much Brendan rates Wisdom and Gomez.

Didn't think he was bad, nor did I think he was good, but he did offer balance and was average. Quite happy he is leaving as this would pave way for our players to be used.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #208: Jul 06, 2015 04:52:03 pm
      means we can get Wisdom and (when fit) flanno back into the 1st team pushing Clyne rather than another import who's not any better
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #209: Jul 07, 2015 10:08:33 pm
      Manky has gone back as we have not followed up on option of the second year loan.

Good luck where ever you end up Javier you have a good future in front of you.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #210: Jul 08, 2015 06:15:56 am
      Manquillo leaves Liverpool FC as loan deal ends a year early

Atletico Madrid have agreed to Liverpool’s request to terminate Javier Manquillo’s loan spell at Anfield.

The 21-year-old right-back joined the Reds on an initial two-year loan last summer with a view to a permanent deal.

However, Manquillo struggled to hold down a place in Brendan Rodgers’ side and following the recent £12million swoop for Nathaniel Clyne the young Spaniard was deemed surplus to requirements.

Liverpool could only cut short the loan with the permission of both Atletico and the player himself, and that has now been secured.

In a statement Atletico said that Manquillo had “not enjoyed all the desirable minutes for his growth in football” and that he had been recalled by “mutual consent”.

They also stated that “he will decide in the next few days the club where he will play next season” with another loan elsewhere in Europe set to be finalised shortly.

Manquillo made 19 appearances for Liverpool last season but after a promising start to the campaign he fell out of favour.

He featured on just three occasions following the turn of the year and his last outing was when he came off the bench against Besiktas in February.

Speaking back in May, Rodgers had indicated that Manquillo would stay put when he said: “Young Manqui is a good defender. He has come in, he signed a two-year loan because the first year was always going to be about adapting to the league and of course he hasn’t played as much as he probably would have liked to play.

“But a lot of that has been due to the system change. He is a good kid and hopefully he comes back in pre-season and can work well and work his way into the team.”

The signing of Clyne, coupled with the return of Andre Wisdom following his loan spell at West Brom, prompted a change of heart by the Liverpool boss.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/manquillo-leaves-liverpool-fc-loan-9609898
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #211: Jul 08, 2015 09:16:47 am
      Good luck Javier YNWA
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #212: Jul 08, 2015 09:18:25 am
      He's a good player, he'll do well in a side with a more defensive mindset.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #213: Jul 08, 2015 09:24:40 am
      Good luck Javier at your new loan spell.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #214: Jul 08, 2015 09:26:19 am
      Alt best lad. cheers for the effort. YNWA
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #215: Jul 08, 2015 09:37:36 am
      Modern football. In years gone by Manquillo would have been a good full back. These days though you've got to be half full back and half winger. In the second part of that equation Manquillo is sh!te, so he'll never make it at the very top unless he plays in a very defensive team. I must confess the dinosaur in me prefers him to the likes of what Moreno showed us last season, but that's just me. Good luck anyway lad.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #216: Jul 08, 2015 10:05:07 am
      Modern football. In years gone by Manquillo would have been a good full back. These days though you've got to be half full back and half winger. In the second part of that equation Manquillo is sh!te, so he'll never make it at the very top unless he plays in a very defensive team. I must confess the dinosaur in me prefers him to the likes of what Moreno showed us last season, but that's just me. Good luck anyway lad.

It looks like you are referring to Chris Lawler mick when you talk about being half full back, half winger. In defence of young Manquillo it should be remembered he was playing in a team that was really struggling early on in the season.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #217: Jul 08, 2015 11:05:53 am
      It looks like you are referring to Chris Lawler mick when you talk about being half full back, half winger. In defence of young Manquillo it should be remembered he was playing in a team that was really struggling early on in the season.

I agree mate, I liked the kid as a player. Good defender, too often these days we overlook the fact that that's what a fullback is supposed to be.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #218: Jul 08, 2015 11:08:18 am
      Im impressed that he has not sat around for another season hardly playing any games, We have abv. said not needed but some would have happily sat out rest of contract, I know its a loan so slightly different, but u get what I mean. I hope.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #219: Jul 08, 2015 11:15:57 am
      means we can get Wisdom and (when fit) flanno back into the 1st team pushing Clyne rather than another import who's not any better

And young Academy players, would rather see them get a shot.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Javier Manquillo
      Reply #220: Jul 08, 2015 01:02:25 pm
      Best of luck Javier! YNWA
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #221: Jul 08, 2015 02:28:24 pm
      Again, I would have kept Manquillo. Europa League would have been a perfect outlet for him to get additional matches. On the positive side, this means we'll get to see Wisdom a bit more regularly, so at least we can see what he's capable of. Easy to forget Andre is still just 22!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #222: Jul 08, 2015 10:14:03 pm
      Feel sorry for the kid. No idea why we signed him and let Wisdom go........only to dump him.

Looked like a solid and talented defender to me - got done at the back post a couple times but that's just experience for me.

Another odd signing / departure for me.

Good luck kid.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #223: Jul 09, 2015 07:44:32 am
      Good luck to him.

To be honest : he looked shaky, and his offensive support was zero.

Quick Reply