Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool's striker conundrum

Read 11306 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Re: Liverpool's striker conundrum
      Reply #92: Aug 11, 2014 06:02:20 pm
      Good point Walton and one I've pondered myself, while I do think that Danny would get along with anyone and always give his best, you have to wonder if he's not better made to be a lone central striker. To get the most out of him we may want to forego bringing in another "star" striker of the same type. As much as I'm not excited about Bony, possibly he's the better option. Glad it's on the boss's shoulders and not mind to figure it all out.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #93: Aug 12, 2014 12:24:51 am
      Are any of them capable of leading a team to a PL title, in your opinion?

In my opinion, I will say no they cannot. Which is why we need to dip into the transfer market to look for a striker.

If you never invest in players and only use players from the youth academy, you'll end up going backwards.

Well Sturridge and Suarez couldn't lead us to the Premier League title either could they?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #94: Aug 12, 2014 12:53:38 am
      Well Sturridge and Suarez couldn't lead us to the Premier League title either could they?

No they couldn't because no matter how much we scored we bled goals on defense.

Pound for Pound and by default we have the best striker in the Premiership starting for us.

Everybody screaming we need to buy the proverbial "World Class" striker

Shrek & Van Pussie (are they world class?)
      Drogba/Costa/Torres (world class?)
      Giroud/Podolski/Sanchez (world class?)
      Aguero/Dzeko/Jovetic ( world class) probably best 3 in league but world class?
      Soldado/Adebayor/Kane (world class?)

Where exactly are these world class strikers that we have to face week in and week out....do we need another striker sure we do...would a Sturridge/Eto/Lambert  be end of the world? probably not though I would rather have someone other than Eto.

People make it sound like week/week out we are squaring off against Bayren/PSG/Real/Barca and have to match up player for player with Messi/Neymar/Suarez...well we dont.

For the most part we need to beat a Giroud or a Drogba.

Tell you what I would take Sterling, Coutinho, Henderson, Can, Lallana, Markovic, Gerrard over some of the stiffs these other teams have, and to me that gives us the edge in most situations.

We need another striker but lets not sh*te our pants that the world is coming to an end because he is not "World Class"
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,707 posts | 151 
      Reply #95: Aug 12, 2014 01:59:44 am
      Most of them players you pointed won trophies with their teams unlike us .

Even Arsenal stopped buying cheap and started to win trophies as well ! Unlike us
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #96: Aug 12, 2014 02:26:07 am
      actually we won a cup a few seasons ago after spending big - and they weren't even good players!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,567 posts | 731 
      Reply #97: Aug 12, 2014 03:03:21 am
      Javier Hernandez is available. I'm just sayin'  :angel:
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #98: Aug 12, 2014 10:13:50 am
      Most of them players you pointed won trophies with their teams unlike us . Even Arsenal stopped buying cheap and started to win trophies as well ! Unlike us

35m on andy caroll...spending big ain't the only way to win things.

Shrek & Van Pussie (are they world class?)Drogba/Costa/Torres (world class?)Giroud/Podolski/Sanchez (world class?)Aguero/Dzeko/Jovetic ( world class) probably best 3 in league but world class?Soldado/Adebayor/Kane (world class?)

it's a really good point. torres/eto/ba were hardly prolific and yet they finished third. however, if chelsea, arsenal and united strike forces are examples, they showed that not having enough top strikers can make the difference between winning the league and not doing so.

city and us were the only clubs with more than one top striker and we battled it out for the league (we would have won but for poor defence).

so, whilst it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't buy another striker given we have so many options from attacking midfield, it would be a shame not to give us the best chance possible to win the league. br has addressed the defensive issues with lovren, can and posisbly another full back. he's brought in llalana, which i'm made up about. but, whilst it's near impossible to replace LS, in order to be running for the league again, i think we need another striker who can bag 15-20 goals this season if not more.

ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #99: Aug 12, 2014 11:35:40 am
      How many proven strikers with decent goals-game ratio are left available in the market (for this window)? And how much will we have to pay?

I think that Alexis screwed us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #100: Aug 12, 2014 11:38:54 am
      How many proven strikers with decent goals-game ratio are left available in the market (for this window)? And how much will we have to pay? 

Almost every proven striker with decent goals-game ratio are available at the right price Ruth. ;)

I suspect the amount available for what we are wanting to pay is a lot smaller.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #101: Aug 12, 2014 11:50:08 am
      Almost every proven striker with decent goals-game ratio are available at the right price Ruth. ;)

I suspect the amount available for what we are wanting to pay is a lot smaller.

Available at a price, not necessarily the right price.  Not that many in the market we're in, more due to the wages than the initial outlay.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #102: Aug 12, 2014 11:54:42 am
      To be honest if we don't get that quality striker were all waiting for, if Sturridge was to get injured I'd rather we played with a false 9 like Spain with Fabregas rather than Lambert be played as a lone striker.

It would allow us to maintain our speed and fluency up top, Coutinho/Lallana/Sterling either one of them is capable to play the position for me, even Markovic or Ibe could give it a good go.

Depending on how well it plays out thats when we can bring on Lambert and opt for a different way of playing to win the match.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #103: Aug 12, 2014 11:57:20 am
      Available at a price, not necessarily the right price.  Not that many in the market we're in, more due to the wages than the initial outlay.
      Then there's poor visibility on what's imminent on the horizon. Unless we raise our price expectation.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #104: Aug 12, 2014 11:57:49 am

Not long ago, I believe Arsenal had the tightest wage structure but now the revenue is coming in after the build of their stadium (debt payoff) and I believe they are offering higher wages. It wouldn't surprise me to see FSG doing something similar.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #105: Aug 12, 2014 12:04:43 pm
      Then there's poor visibility on what's imminent on the horizon. Unless we raise our price expectation.

And to do that, we need to raise income by winning things and attaining regular Champions League football, for which we need better players and a deeper squad for which we need to raise income by winning things and attaining regular Champions League football.....

Chicken and egg anyone?
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #106: Aug 12, 2014 12:07:26 pm
      And to do that, we need to raise income by winning things and attaining regular Champions League football, for which we need better players and a deeper squad for which we need to raise income by winning things and attaining regular Champions League football.....

Chicken and egg anyone?

I'd rather overpay on a player by £10 million if it meant he was the difference between getting CL football and not getting CL football, which would lose us £35 million. Overpaying paid for itself if it was the difference between achieving CL football or not.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #107: Aug 12, 2014 12:08:05 pm
      Almost every proven striker with decent goals-game ratio are available at the right price Ruth.
      Brendan said it himself mate: "Every player has a price".

Whether you're willing (or able) to pay it or not is another matter. You might pretend you want Falcao; you might even 'make enquiries' but if you're only willing to spend money which will buy an Aspas or an Eto'o then... that's exactly what you'll end up with.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #108: Aug 12, 2014 12:18:24 pm
      I'd rather overpay on a player by £10 million if it meant he was the difference between getting CL football and not getting CL football, which would lose us £35 million. Overpaying paid for itself if it was the difference between achieving CL football or not.

But overpaying doesn't guarantee F**k all and I like the way we've done business this window.  I still think we need a left back, we're supposedly close to one, it looks like we're still after at least one striker, can't say I 'd be happy if that's just Eto'o, but then I think you can often achieve similar results without overpaying.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #109: Aug 12, 2014 12:27:55 pm
      Seriously would rather have Aspas here than Eto
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #110: Aug 12, 2014 12:31:49 pm
      But overpaying doesn't guarantee F**k all and I like the way we've done business this window.  I still think we need a left back, we're supposedly close to one, it looks like we're still after at least one striker, can't say I 'd be happy if that's just Eto'o, but then I think you can often achieve similar results without overpaying.

True, it doesn't guarantee anything but name me the last side that has won the PL without overpaying for some players in their squad?

I just worry that lack of investment in a replacement for Suarez could harm our chances next season. I remember when we sold Alonso, we didn't invest nearly enough money in replacing him and look how we ended up the next season.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #111: Aug 12, 2014 12:36:17 pm
      But overpaying doesn't guarantee F**k all
      Correct Rodders and you don't really know you've "overpaid" until after the fact.

Did we "overpay" for Aspas for example? Maybe not, as far as the bank-balance is concerned, but as far as football is concerned... without a doubt.

It'll be interesting to see how many of this year's crop we have "overpaid" for: hopefully none.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #112: Aug 12, 2014 12:51:58 pm
      Brendan said it himself mate: "Every player has a price".

Whether you're willing (or able) to pay it or not is another matter. You might pretend you want Falcao; you might even 'make enquiries' but if you're only willing to spend money which will buy an Aspas or an Eto'o then... that's exactly what you'll end up with.

Indeed.

There are very few players in world football that cannot be bought.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #113: Aug 12, 2014 12:58:42 pm
      Correct Rodders and you don't really know you've "overpaid" until after the fact.

Just not true, you can judge the value after, but you can judge what you've paid for at the checkout.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #114: Aug 12, 2014 01:44:56 pm
      Just not true, you can judge the value after, but you can judge what you've paid for at the checkout.
      "Value"; "overpay": is there a difference?

You can introduce the word "value" if you need to; it really makes no odds.   

"It [the transfer policy] was - and will be in the future - about getting maximum value for what is spent...

... We have no fear of spending and competing with the very best but we will not overpay for players." ~ John Henry

You won't know if you've got "value" for money until after the fact. If you discover that you indeed haven't got "value" for money then obviously you have "overpaid"... but my guess is that you already knew that.  ;)

Quick Reply