Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Mentality

Read 1527 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Mentality
      Aug 10, 2014 04:39:47 pm
      One thing that cannot be argued about our first team in previous years is that, from manager to manager, we have not had enough players with the mentality to become Premiership champions.

Passion isn’t enough in a league campaign – at some stage every previous champion has shown the kind of cold-blooded ruthlessness under pressure to get the job done. As well as the level of skill required to get us back to where we belong, we need players with the kind of fight, tenacity, nous, concentration and resilience in order to win the league. This is the difference between champions and also-rans and, for me, is the biggest thing we will miss with the departure of Suarez.

I think in order to get a top 4 place the majority of the team (ie 6/11) have to have that kind of mindset – Arsenal, as an example, had Mertesacker, Sagna, Arteta, Walcott, Ramsey and possibly Wilshere who would fit that mould. Not the best players in the team but didn’t go missing when some of their more talented colleagues did.

I would estimate that 8/11 players with the requisite mentality would give us a fair shot at the title.

Others might come good but have yet to be proven (Migs/Moreno), have tried to force play too much (Gerrard) or let negative emotions affect their form (Sturridge).

Looking at a presumed first 11 I would put Lovren, Sakho, Manquillo, Can, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling in the category of having the requisite mentality right now. Markovic and Lallana are also possibly in the category but would not be starting in my first 11 at the moment.

With that, I would predict that we will challenge for the title this year and should definitely be finishing in the top 4 despite losing Suarez.

Rodgers, Pellegrini, Mourinho, Van Gaal, Pocchetino are all, in my view, savvy and cold blooded enough to execute a winning plan – I would be interested to know how many of the players you estimate share that mentality.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Mentality
      Reply #1: Aug 11, 2014 09:47:17 pm
      I think it boils down to the manager. If he can get his views and attitude across to the players that's what matters. If you read the recent Coutinho interview its clear that Brendan is imposing himself on the players mindsets.

Based on that I would say that mentality will not be an issue
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #2: Aug 11, 2014 10:27:25 pm
      Absolutely agree that a core of players with the right mentality is vital. Not sure about the numbers - as perhaps it is more the cumulative size of the personality rather than a goldren number.
      Only player that I would disagree with you on is that I would have included Skrtel in the list. He is not one to give up - compare Toure to Skrtel - when Toure had a shocker he slowly retreated into himself and became a shadow of the player he was at the beginning of the season. When Skrtel had a bad game, he'd follow it up by having a world class one next time.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #3: Aug 12, 2014 01:58:02 am
      Wait did I read it right that you don't think Gerrard has the right mentality for us to win?

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #4: Aug 12, 2014 07:39:06 am
      Absolutely agree that a core of players with the right mentality is vital. Not sure about the numbers - as perhaps it is more the cumulative size of the personality rather than a goldren number.
      Only player that I would disagree with you on is that I would have included Skrtel in the list. He is not one to give up - compare Toure to Skrtel - when Toure had a shocker he slowly retreated into himself and became a shadow of the player he was at the beginning of the season. When Skrtel had a bad game, he'd follow it up by having a world class one next time.

Skrtel is a tricky one - in the right team I think he could have the right mentality but they way we play he "retreats into himself" by dropping off into his comfort zone rather than pushing the defence out - we saw how Lovren was trying to do that in the Dortmund game.

Toure has (or had) the fortitude as evidenced by him being captain of his previous two sides who both won the title (though he wasn't captain at thetimeof the"Invincibles" team).

Wait did I read it right that you don't think Gerrard has the right mentality for us to win?

Much though I love Stevie (hence the username) his natural style has always suited cup campaigns better than league ones. He has so much talent he tries to win the game by himself - that's why Rafa took him off in the derby for example.

To win the league you need a cannier, more ruthless, approach; when we went behind against Chelsea last year he lost his head and kept trying long shots and crosses rather than patiently playing Suarez into one-on-ones. When he slipped it wasn't his footing that was the problem it was the fact that we were pushing and looking for a needless goal. These are the margins that decide champions and also-rans.

I had my thread deleted earlier which was about whether Stevie was our version of David Luiz. Everything goes through him and he has a dynamic passing range to start attacks. The brazilians had the same problem and decided to play Luiz as the central defender of three. We play Stevie as the deep midfielder dropping between the two centre backs when they split.

Like I said - it's not about quality, it's about mentality.

Quick Reply