Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Alberto Moreno (Contract Expired)

Read 178038 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Re: Alberto Moreno Player Thread
      Reply #1403: Nov 22, 2017 07:00:57 am
      I think the occasion got to him in 2nd half. Take him out and we win the game.

Thatā€™s not me hanging him out to dry at all - just a statement of fact.

Heā€™s been somewhat improved and deserves another chance.

I think the mistake had been playing him so relentlessly - no real chance to get Robbo properly into defensive routines as an option / alternative. That I do think the boss has got wrong.

Not destroying the lad but I think he created the panic with his mistakes - we had to expect theyā€™d have a ā€œtimeā€ in the game.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #1404: Nov 22, 2017 09:05:07 am
      Everyone defending Moreno has become so used to how sh*t we are defensively because if this was during the Benitez years, he would be gone a long time ago.

He is not going to change. He is a headless chicken with no brain or rationality when it comes to defending. Period.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1405: Nov 22, 2017 09:48:55 am
      I think the occasion got to him in 2nd half. Take him out and we win the game.

Thatā€™s not me hanging him out to dry at all - just a statement of fact.

Heā€™s been somewhat improved and deserves another chance.

I think the mistake had been playing him so relentlessly - no real chance to get Robbo properly into defensive routines as an option / alternative. That I do think the boss has got wrong.

Not destroying the lad but I think he created the panic with his mistakes - we had to expect theyā€™d have a ā€œtimeā€ in the game.

Having Moreno, Migs and Lovren in the same defensive unit is a recipe for disaster as they are all liable to individual mistakes, we have to upgrade all 3 of them if we want to ever win anything.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1406: Nov 22, 2017 11:15:03 am
      So are we officially calling this a relapse?

I'm not, I'm willing to say that against his old club after becoming a father just 3 days ago that his head possibly wasn't in the right place (his feet certainly weren't). He's played far too well recently to immediately think he's back to the brainless style defending we saw a couple of seasons ago.

It's not a free-pass as such, just he's enough credit in the bank based on this season and enough mitigating factors to believe there's hope.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #1407: Nov 22, 2017 11:55:39 am
      I'm not, I'm willing to say that against his old club after becoming a father just 3 days ago that his head possibly wasn't in the right place (his feet certainly weren't). He's played far too well recently to immediately think he's back to the brainless style defending we saw a couple of seasons ago.

It's not a free-pass as such, just he's enough credit in the bank based on this season and enough mitigating factors to believe there's hope.

Just a bad day highlighting the fault lines in his game. Nothing more - key is how he reacts.

Every player has them and the good ones work to eradicate / mitigate.

His poor positioning which led to the initial rashness bothers me more than the tackles - stupid though they were.

Iā€™m not sure youā€™ll ever stop that instinct to ā€œfixā€ his mistake - what you can work on is making the first mistake less frequently.

The gamble from JĆ¼rgen was playing him so exclusively this season but I guess he felt he was benefitting from the continuity.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1408: Nov 22, 2017 12:05:41 pm
      Just a bad day highlighting the fault lines in his game. Nothing more - key is how he reacts.

Every player has them and the good ones work to eradicate / mitigate.

His poor positioning which led to the initial rashness bothers me more than the tackles - stupid though they were.

Iā€™m not sure youā€™ll ever stop that instinct to ā€œfixā€ his mistake - what you can work on is making the first mistake less frequently.

The gamble from JĆ¼rgen was playing him so exclusively this season but I guess he felt he was benefitting from the continuity.

Agree with all that mate. With Alby it's been the recklessness in both fixing his mistakes and causing the brainless ones which I think has improved so tremendously this season. Like JD, I understand the pen, we all miscontrol now and again, just a little unlucky it was at a time when he was surrounded by 2 men, the instinct to fix there is probably correct, he just got it a little slow which is unlike him to be fair.

The free-kick I had more issue with, as he was at fault for both the conceding of it and getting beaten on the header. His heading has been much improved but he has to anticipate the run of that guy and give him no chance to get the header on goal.

As for the yellow card, again I've not that much issue with it, because I don't think it was a yellow and he only just missed getting us on a great counter. The occasional risk, when the reward is big enough, I can live with from any player.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #1409: Nov 22, 2017 12:32:05 pm
      Agree with all that mate. With Alby it's been the recklessness in both fixing his mistakes and causing the brainless ones which I think has improved so tremendously this season. Like JD, I understand the pen, we all miscontrol now and again, just a little unlucky it was at a time when he was surrounded by 2 men, the instinct to fix there is probably correct, he just got it a little slow which is unlike him to be fair.

The free-kick I had more issue with, as he was at fault for both the conceding of it and getting beaten on the header. His heading has been much improved but he has to anticipate the run of that guy and give him no chance to get the header on goal.

As for the yellow card, again I've not that much issue with it, because I don't think it was a yellow and he only just missed getting us on a great counter. The occasional risk, when the reward is big enough, I can live with from any player.

He was like a kitten surrounded by a pack of wolves by the time Phil knocked the ā€œacme uxbā€ pass back to him - that (for me) is what made the touch so poor.

The first goal was a horror all round for him - one those moments where if you had a video on him for those 90 seconds itā€™d be every emotion under the sun.......

My biggest relief is that he didnā€™t get a second yellow for either foul. Not many pens now donā€™t get a card and the first challenge was so f#ckinā€™ daft.....

I didnā€™t think he was great in the first half - both my boys called the card was coming way before he got it.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #1410: Nov 22, 2017 12:52:52 pm
      Can Liverpool win the league with this lad playing left back? No.

Can Liverpool win the league with centre backs like Klavan & Lovren? No.

Can people not see the MASSIVE gulf in quality between our front players and back players. I genuinely believe some of our defenders would struggle to get games at relegation threatened teams.

We will continue to win games but our forward players will need to score 3 to 4 goals most games as we will not keep clean sheets on a regular basis.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #1411: Nov 22, 2017 01:00:03 pm
      If se sign Van Dijk in January and start rotating Moreno with Robertson we might be able to finally repair that smashed rear end.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #1412: Nov 22, 2017 01:04:41 pm
      If se sign Van Dijk in January and start rotating Moreno with Robertson we might be able to finally repair that smashed rear end.

You mean the car or our collective arses when we concede.......?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1413: Nov 22, 2017 01:09:26 pm

I'm of a similar opinion. I have given the lad all sorts of shi....te in this thread but he has played very well this season and up until last night had put in a very solid run of games. There have been considerably less brain fart decisions and rushes of blood and his positioning and decision making has improved. I still believe that Robertson is deserving of more chances, yes I do, but he appears not to have been a player that Klopp wanted (has transfer committee written all over it).
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6374 
      Reply #1414: Nov 22, 2017 01:11:54 pm
      As good as Moreno has seemingly been (prior to last night apparently)....don't you have to wonder if Andy might have been even better at this point?

From the little game time I saw from him, I'd like to find out what he's made of. I think it's criminal he's not been given so few chances.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 1092 
      Reply #1415: Nov 22, 2017 01:19:00 pm
      I ask a rhetorical question a few weeks back. How will Moreno do now that he is asked to defend more? With our attack getting healthy and playing all at once the need for him to go forward isnā€™t as prevalent. And so Klopp is asking the FBs to stay back and defend more. Well..... Moreno gonna Moreno. Iā€™m not completely writing him off, he has played better this season. But his role is changing and Iā€™m not sure he is built for it. He wants to attack and press forward. We need him to defend, and last night the only thing he defended was our chance to lock this group up. Give Robo the weekend and letā€™s see how he does. Moreno has had a lot happen in the last two weeks, give him a moment to take it all in. In the mean time letā€™s hope Robo makes it hard for Moreno to get back in.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1416: Nov 22, 2017 01:35:33 pm
      I ask a rhetorical question a few weeks back. How will Moreno do now that he is asked to defend more? With our attack getting healthy and playing all at once the need for him to go forward isnā€™t as prevalent. And so Klopp is asking the FBs to stay back and defend more. Well..... Moreno gonna Moreno. Iā€™m not completely writing him off, he has played better this season. But his role is changing and Iā€™m not sure he is built for it. He wants to attack and press forward. We need him to defend, and last night the only thing he defended was our chance to lock this group up. Give Robo the weekend and letā€™s see how he does. Moreno has had a lot happen in the last two weeks, give him a moment to take it all in. In the mean time letā€™s hope Robo makes it hard for Moreno to get back in.

I don't think Klopp wanted to sign Robertson mate, has the classic look of a transfer committee 'here's a good player JĆ¼rgen' transfer. He has barely had a look in and Klopp recently said he needed to improve to get a chance. It's a shame because he has a terrific left foot on him but I suspect he will be looking for a move away before long.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #1417: Nov 22, 2017 01:37:53 pm
      I don't think Klopp wanted to sign Robertson mate, has the classic look of a transfer committee 'here's a good player JĆ¼rgen' transfer. He has barely had a look in and Klopp recently said he needed to improve to get a chance. It's a shame because he has a terrific left foot on him but I suspect he will be looking for a move away before long.

It is a shame - heā€™s a fine footballer and miles more rounded than Bertie - but the boss has to run the show.....

On Andy I do think heā€™s got it wrong but I back him to make those choices.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 2816 
      Reply #1418: Nov 22, 2017 01:39:15 pm
      It was coming last night. Remember him sticking a simple header out for a corner in the first half and then doing something similar to set up a Sevilla attack within seconds of the restart. The rest has been covered plenty enough in this thread.

Played well enough this season to earn another chance although Iā€™d like to see Robertson get a few games soon to see what level heā€™s at.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1419: Nov 22, 2017 02:08:26 pm
      It is a shame - heā€™s a fine footballer and miles more rounded than Bertie - but the boss has to run the show.....

On Andy I do think heā€™s got it wrong but I back him to make those choices.

So you back JĆ¼rgen to make wrong choices, how odd!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #1420: Nov 22, 2017 02:19:32 pm
      Miscontrols the ball then trips the player, running away from goal, in the box,resulting in goal number 2.
      But yes let's not hang him out to dry, it's not Moron's fault he's fu**ed us twice against his former club is it? 

Can't blame Moreno for that second goal, it was an awful F***ing ball to him from Coutinho. Trying way too hard if you're gonna put all the blame on Alberto for the second. Coutinho should take as much blame for not getting rid of the ball instead of playing an hospital ball back to Moreno.

The pen was a bit harsh imo anyway, the F***ing Sevilla player went down in F***ing stages.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1421: Nov 22, 2017 02:23:11 pm
      The occasion got the better of the lad last night.

Simple as that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #1422: Nov 22, 2017 02:26:20 pm
      The occasion got the better of the lad last night.

Simple as that.

So every time we play Sevilla he needs dropping. Not the first time the occasion has got the better of him then!!

Can't use that as an excuse, he had a F***ing shocker and it isn't the first time playing Sevilla it's happened.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1423: Nov 22, 2017 02:40:35 pm
      If the only issue with Moreno is playing against his old club then he must have been a bit of a journeyman prior to signing for LFC without any of us knowing it.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,012 posts | 523 
      Reply #1424: Nov 22, 2017 02:56:25 pm
      Checking Bertie's tattoos - http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/liverpool/252601/sh*t-football-ink-liverpools-alberto-moreno-adds-to-baffling-collection-of-animal-themed-body-art-photo.html

We have a panda in a hat and monocle, smoking a pipe; a dog with boxing gloves; and a chimpanzee wearing headphones while carrying a gun.

Now, I'm no psychoanalyst, but I'm going to say there is a common theme there, and it reflects Bertie's subconscious sense of his own hopes of ever being a defender.

Look, I've been one of his harsher critics on here, and I will concede he has been better this season, until last night. But, he's in his 4th season, and in every one we have had a period where people get their hopes up about him, only to have them fairly dramatically dashed. This season his " he's turned the corner" period has lasted a bit longer than before. Even I was starting to wonder ( while being a long way from actually believing) - could he? Has he? Is JĆ¼rgen Klopp Professor Henry Higgins and Dr Doolittle rolled into one?

Who knows, maybe last night was a last flash of the old Bertie and he'll carry on as he has been so far this season. Not brilliant, but decent, maybe even pretty good. Maybe. But, f**k me, you wouldn't bet much on it would you? We all know that he would never be in his 4th season at Citeh, Manure, Chelsea or even Spurs. Even Wenger would have binned him by now.

But this is LFC under FSG. Forever waiting for the great leap forward. "Fingers crossed" is our motto these days. And no player personifies that better than Alberto. Who knows. His fourth season could still be a good one.. Stranger things have happened.

But  tattoos are permanent. I can't help feeling that, for Bertie, that chimp with a gun is a commitment.

Anyway, we are getting plenty of time to find out.
      « Last Edit: Nov 22, 2017 03:00:34 pm by sore monad »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1425: Nov 22, 2017 03:57:28 pm
      Having Moreno, Migs and Lovren in the same defensive unit is a recipe for disaster as they are all liable to individual mistakes, we have to upgrade all 3 of them if we want to ever win anything.

This .

+

Henderson.

Quick Reply