Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Alberto Moreno (Contract Expired)

Read 176721 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Alberto Moreno Player Thread
      Reply #1449: Nov 23, 2017 04:26:28 pm
      I'm going to overlook Alberto's mistakes against his old club, I'm going to give his the benefit of doubt on this one.

The lad has just become a father, was not there for the birth of his little one, he turned up at the request of the Boss, I know Alonso refused to travel to inter for a far more important a game for similar reasons.

Just let this one slide, lad has improved & come on from last season..

OK you love Moreno, irrespective of what he does, we get it, we reserve the right to disagree with you though.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1450: Nov 23, 2017 04:37:56 pm
      I'm going to overlook Alberto's mistakes against his old club, I'm going to give his the benefit of doubt on this one.

The lad has just become a father, was not there for the birth of his little one, he turned up at the request of the Boss, I know Alonso refused to travel to inter for a far more important a game for similar reasons.

Just let this one slide, lad has improved & come on from last season..

I agree with the principle of that Shabs. He made a few shockers but there are extenuating circumstances......

I do find it a little harder to forget the rest of his rap sheet as well.....but yeh I think thereā€™s an over-reaction from many.

That said.......my stated preference for Robbo aside.......I think there needs to be more rotation there than thus far this season.

Bertie has improved - I still think we have a better left back - but I think it was a mistake from the boss to rely on that wholesale.

Heā€™s not been THAT good - despite some hyperbole (including from the boss) and it seems daft that weā€™ve ended up in the same position as last year but with Milner and Bertie swapped.

So - yeh I buy people stocking with Bertie and absolutely my instinct generally but letā€™s not learn from that......We know heā€™s brittle so letā€™s plan for that.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #1451: Nov 23, 2017 04:41:12 pm
      People think our attackers who do their job by scoring three goals still deserve a slate for not defend enough while they play in the team with defenders who don't know the basics of defend and consistently commit the F***ing stupid fouls in our penalty box :mad: :mad: :mad:

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1452: Nov 23, 2017 04:42:09 pm
      I agree with the principle of that Shabs. He made a few shockers but there are extenuating circumstances......

I do find it a little harder to forget the rest of his rap sheet as well.....but yeh I think thereā€™s an over-reaction from many.

That said.......my stated preference for Robbo aside.......I think there needs to be more rotation there than thus far this season.

Bertie has improved - I still think we have a better left back - but I think it was a mistake from the boss to rely on that wholesale.

Heā€™s not been THAT good - despite some hyperbole (including from the boss) and it seems daft that weā€™ve ended up in the same position as last year but with Milner and Bertie swapped.

So - yeh I buy people stocking with Bertie and absolutely my instinct generally but letā€™s not learn from that......We know heā€™s brittle so letā€™s plan for that.

Agree, I think the Boss should rotate Alberto with Robbo,it would give the signal, you've improved but Robbo is around too & extra attention to detail on field is required.

Don't know if you can answer this one mate, why does Klopp play Karius in the CL games and not use Robbo for similar games, I find that an odd decision considering we have a lot riding on the CL..
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1453: Nov 23, 2017 04:46:36 pm

I think he's been really good for many of the games and my reasoning for that is what he's been less good at is what he was good at previously and what he's been markedly improved on is what he's been weakest in the past. If that isn't becoming a more rounded and balanced player then I don't know what is.

Once his confidence in his defending gets to a level where he can start to take more risks then he'll be tremendous but, as you say, he could be brittle and this could shake his confidence and the rash nature/natural tendencies could rise to the surface once more. A bit sh*t for Alby that he doesn't have an easier game next to try to build that confidence back up because the Chavs will test him, Conte is no mug and he'll twist the screws on the lad.

The advantage with that is we'll know far sooner than later and there'll be much less guess work needed from both fans and boss. If he passes the Chelsea test with flying colours then he could have a long term future, crumble and revert to old and Robbo will get his chance and the way back from there will be a tough one for Alby imo.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1454: Nov 23, 2017 05:16:42 pm
      Don't know if you can answer this one mate, why does Klopp play Karius in the CL games and not use Robbo for similar games, I find that an odd decision considering we have a lot riding on the CL..

No idea mate. Maybe one of those ā€œpicksā€ is enough for a defence - especially one as ā€œeccentricā€ as ours......?

I think he's been really good for many of the games and my reasoning for that is what he's been less good at is what he was good at previously and what he's been markedly improved on is what he's been weakest in the past. If that isn't becoming a more rounded and balanced player then I don't know what is.

Agree and disagree mate.

I think weā€™ve all been sucked in by him being so much better than our last memory (Sevilla 2015) which was horrific.

I think heā€™s played well and is definitely less cavalier. His positioning is still horrid at times......but heā€™s waking up to it much, much quicker and hasnā€™t been diving in to compensate. Until Tuesday.

I like the lad and thereā€™s almost a player there. Based on the fact that JĆ¼rgen plumped for him and he hadnā€™t had any disasters Iā€™m ok with him having the jersey (and even keeping it, for now).

I just think that weā€™ve been a bit too trusting that heā€™s had a full on epiphany and shouldā€™ve given Robbo more game time.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #1455: Nov 23, 2017 08:04:47 pm
      Robbo needs a run of games to atleast give some balance to the argument.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1456: Nov 25, 2017 06:29:32 am
      OK you love Moreno, irrespective of what he does, we get it, we reserve the right to disagree with you though.

What's this we sh*t tory boy? ;)
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #1457: Nov 26, 2017 03:39:23 pm
      Superb bounce-back yesterday from Albie.

His critics still tried to find something to moan about (as they always do, the miserable cu*ts) but for me he was nearly faultless given the fact he had no cover or back up from any of the midfielders in front of him. People moaning about his positioning because he kept tucking in to a central position, ignoring the fact that the centre channels were getting overloaded due to the likes of Henderson and Milner offering a chocolate fireguard midfield defence.

Then again, if he stayed wide and allowed the centre backs to be doubled-up on the critics would have moaned still. Really can't say how much the section of our fans who LOVE to hate some players piss me off.

Dispossessed Hazard with ease on numerous occasions. Not many defenders have done that this season. Still first choice, still probably our most consistent defender this season.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1458: Dec 06, 2017 11:05:07 pm
      Felt bad seeing him come of crying. Shows his truly passionate about having his place back in the team.

Might not be the smartest but got to give credit to his passion for this team.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1459: Dec 06, 2017 11:08:44 pm
      Shame, he had bounced back well from his game vs Sevilla.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #1460: Dec 07, 2017 10:56:23 am
      What's the injury ? How long will he be out for ? At least robbo can fill the position, time to shine lad
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1461: Dec 07, 2017 08:34:10 pm
      Any news on him? He was playing well apart from two Seville games. Hope it is nothing serious.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #1462: Dec 07, 2017 09:26:10 pm
      Any news on him? He was playing well apart from two Seville games. Hope it is nothing serious.

The initial assessment suggested the injury wasn't too serious, they were waiting for the next 24-48 hours.

He's a tough lad, other than the one time a season or two ago, I can't remember him ever being out injured?

I remember Wijnaldum's ankle injury a few months ago, he was back a week later. I hope it's just some heavy bruising or minor ligament damage. Two or three weeks tops. Maybe good timing? Get him two weeks extra rest before the holiday period.

Felt bad for the lad too, as King Kenny said, he bounced back well after the Sevilla game.

Reckon Milner might actually start ahead of Robertson this weekend.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1463: Dec 07, 2017 10:21:46 pm
      What's the injury ? How long will he be out for ? At least robbo can fill the position, time to shine lad

Not sure if this is much to go by, but it's about as much of an update as anything so far.

Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #1464: Dec 12, 2017 07:07:08 pm
      Liverpool injury news: Alberto Moreno could be out for 6 weeks

With the left-back missing the derby as he undergoes tests to diagnose the extent of his injury, he is set to remain on the sidelines for the long term, possibly into the New Year.

While Klopp revealed that the duration of Morenoā€™s layoff is yet to be determined, he did hint that a six-week absence is likely.

ā€œHeā€™s not ready for sure. Weā€™ve made further assessments, weā€™ve sent him to different doctors,ā€ he explained.

ā€œItā€™s still possible itā€™s not that long, but itā€™s still possible itā€™s six weeks.

ā€œWe have to see. Itā€™s not decided so far, we have to look a little bit.ā€

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/12/JĆ¼rgen-klopp-provides-injury-update-alberto-moreno-adam-lallana-joel-matip/

Longer than I hoped / expected. Still no definitive diagnosis on his ankle. Hopefully it's not as long as they think it will be. Not fully convinced yet by Robertson, but he'll have a run of games now to prove his worth. I'll be watching him closely.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1465: Dec 12, 2017 07:16:24 pm
      Liverpool injury news: Alberto Moreno could be out for 6 weeks

With the left-back missing the derby as he undergoes tests to diagnose the extent of his injury, he is set to remain on the sidelines for the long term, possibly into the New Year.

While Klopp revealed that the duration of Morenoā€™s layoff is yet to be determined, he did hint that a six-week absence is likely.

ā€œHeā€™s not ready for sure. Weā€™ve made further assessments, weā€™ve sent him to different doctors,ā€ he explained.

ā€œItā€™s still possible itā€™s not that long, but itā€™s still possible itā€™s six weeks.

ā€œWe have to see. Itā€™s not decided so far, we have to look a little bit.ā€

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/12/JĆ¼rgen-klopp-provides-injury-update-alberto-moreno-adam-lallana-joel-matip/

Longer than I hoped / expected. Still no definitive diagnosis on his ankle. Hopefully it's not as long as they think it will be. Not fully convinced yet by Robertson, but he'll have a run of games now to prove his worth. I'll be watching him closely.

I'm not convinced at all by Robertson yet.
      He's shown some signs that he can play, but if he is indeed struggling to adapt to the intensity and the tactics, it won't be long before the usual arseholes turn on him.

When (if?) he does adapt, it'll be interesting to see how Moreno responds, and 2 decent left backs is not to be sniffed at.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1466: Dec 12, 2017 07:39:40 pm
      Small sample admittedly but every time Robertson has played he has not let anyone down.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1467: Dec 12, 2017 09:07:50 pm
      Small sample admittedly but every time Robertson has played he has not let anyone down.

Yea, Iā€™m not too concerned, Moreno was doing ok but itā€™s not like it was hard for him to improve on his past performances. Iā€™m still a bit pessimistic on his defensive reading of the game.

Andy looks like the real deal in an admittedly small sample size, but he is going to do well Iā€™d wager.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1468: Jan 09, 2018 12:17:26 am
      Can we finally get rid of Moreno now that Phil is gone?

His only use was being best mates with Coutinho, thus hopefully keeping him around.  Thatā€™s over.  So hopefully we can get rid of him now.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1469: Jan 09, 2018 01:33:11 am
      Can we finally get rid of Moreno now that Phil is gone?

His only use was being best mates with Coutinho, thus hopefully keeping him around.  Thatā€™s over.  So hopefully we can get rid of him now.

Right, because we don't want to have any cover at LB right? Smart.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1470: Jan 09, 2018 03:41:44 pm
      Forgot this guy was here to be honest, such is the good job that Robertson is doing.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #1471: Jan 09, 2018 07:08:37 pm
      Prefer Milner as cover to Robbo, let Moreno go, perhaps bid for Tierney?

Quick Reply