Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

Alberto Moreno (Contract Expired)

Read 182567 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: Alberto Moreno Player Thread
      Reply #598: Feb 15, 2016 11:12:02 pm
      he did well against a terrible team.
      Against any other opponent, especially ones that press or play wider players i would rather use Flanno as LB and Nat at RB
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #599: Feb 18, 2016 10:03:28 pm
      Another good game for him tonight. Was one of our brightest players, I thought. Come on Albie, prove them all wrong!
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #600: Feb 18, 2016 10:14:44 pm
      Thought he was motm tonight , got about and made himself known .
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #601: Feb 18, 2016 10:29:45 pm
      Another good game for him tonight. Was one of our brightest players, I thought. Come on Albie, prove them all wrong!

Thought he was motm tonight , got about and made himself known .

Not for me. I found him handy in a couple of attacking situations tonight but when given the responsibility of the ball in defensive zones he is mindless. There were 2-3 situations where he completely failed to do the obvious and carelessly handed possession back to Augsburg. Against a more potent attack, I think he would have been caught out in the worst form tonight.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #602: Feb 19, 2016 03:50:50 am
      Not for me. I found him handy in a couple of attacking situations tonight but when given the responsibility of the ball in defensive zones he is mindless. There were 2-3 situations where he completely failed to do the obvious and carelessly handed possession back to Augsburg. Against a more potent attack, I think he would have been caught out in the worst form tonight.

Yep, agree completely. He still fails to do the one thing he is supposed to be doing, defend!
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,064 posts | 547 
      Reply #603: Feb 19, 2016 12:53:13 pm
      He might have done ok going forward yesterday, but 3 of their best chances came from defensive snoozing on his part - once when he was out of position, once when he let a runner go past him, and once when he didnt close down a cross.

2 of those chances were sitters and on another day they'd have scored them both.

Our Europa league squad selection is pretty odd at the back. Flanno should be starting ahead of Moreno, but he is not even in the squad. The only full backs we have in it are Clyne and Moreno, so if either get injured we are back to playing Can or somebody at full back.

Anyway Moreno is a liability at the back as far as i'm concerned - he gives up so many chances its ridiculous.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #604: Feb 19, 2016 01:34:09 pm
      We all see him him differently FMS , i do agree defencively he's not the best he does love to get forward and i've posted here several times why he should be converted to a winger . He's not lazy and has a great work rate and personally i don't think he's comfortable fully as a LB . Maybe it's something Klopp should think about , it wouldn't be the first time a player has been converted . I was happy enough with the result considering they were no pushovers .

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #605: Feb 19, 2016 02:32:41 pm
      We all see him him differently FMS , i do agree defencively he's not the best he does love to get forward and i've posted here several times why he should be converted to a winger . He's not lazy and has a great work rate and personally i don't think he's comfortable fully as a LB . Maybe it's something Klopp should think about , it wouldn't be the first time a player has been converted . I was happy enough with the result considering they were no pushovers .

He's not that good of an attacker either.

I think he's had one shot actually fly towards the goal and trouble the keeper in the last I don't know, 20 or so games. In fact, last night I saw him being barked at I think by Coutinho because he was taking up  a position near the box that I don't think Phil wanted him to be in. I like Moreno because he seems a bit looney....but it's that looniness that makes him a bit of a liability at times. I think if the team as a whole was stronger....you wouldn't worry as much about him, but because we need every player at every position to be playing out of their minds...his performances flatter to deceive.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #606: Feb 19, 2016 02:40:50 pm
      He has all the tools to be a great player I think. Pace, power, good left foot however maybe the lowest match IQ I've seen in a long time. His decision making is bizzare at times however that is something that can be taught. He has things some players would kill for that cannot be taught, it's all on our staff to mould that raw talent into a solid player. I for one am more than happy to continue to see him in the starting eleven.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #607: Feb 19, 2016 02:42:52 pm
      He has all the tools to be a great player I think. Pace, power, good left foot however maybe the lowest match IQ I've seen in a long time. His decision making is bizzare at times however that is something that can be taught. He has things some players would kill for that cannot be taught, it's all on our staff to mould that raw talent into a solid player. I for one am more than happy to continue to see him in the starting eleven.

He runs like a raped ape doesn't he. Oh to have that kind of speed.

But you are right...his match IQ is nothing to write home about. I disagree with you a bit on that though...because there are some things I don't think can be taught, awareness and that sixth sense that great (good) players have about where people are and where they are going to be. I think Moreno tries to use his speed and trickery first and foremost and he "thinks" his way around the pitch as a last resort and it usually shows.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #608: Feb 19, 2016 02:46:55 pm
      He runs like a raped ape doesn't he. Oh to have that kind of speed.

But you are right...his match IQ is nothing to write home about. I disagree with you a bit on that though...because there are some things I don't think can be taught, awareness and that sixth sense that great (good) players have about where people are and where they are going to be. I think Moreno tries to use his speed and trickery first and foremost and he "thinks" his way around the pitch as a last resort and it usually shows.

:lmao: raped ape.

I don't think he needs that sixth sense as such, he just needs to know what position he should be in. If his athleticism and ability to pull off last ditch tackles save him when he's miles out of position, then he definitely has the skills to defend when he's in the right area. Like you said, I don't think you can teach him to be exactly where he needs to be to make the perfect tackle or interception... but we can teach him to be closer.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #609: Feb 19, 2016 02:49:25 pm
      :lmao: raped ape.

I don't think he needs that sixth sense as such, he just needs to know what position he should be in. If his athleticism and ability to pull off last ditch tackles save him when he's miles out of position, then he definitely has the skills to defend when he's in the right area. Like you said, I don't think you can teach him to be exactly where he needs to be to make the perfect tackle or interception... but we can teach him to be closer.

Might even be a matter of telling him to not bomb forward ALL the time...pick and choose the best times to go and when to stay back. I'm assuming Klopp is working on this with him....maybe he'll get it one of these days.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #610: Feb 19, 2016 02:52:43 pm
      Might even be a matter of telling him to not bomb forward ALL the time...pick and choose the best times to go and when to stay back. I'm assuming Klopp is working on this with him....maybe he'll get it one of these days.

Exactly, wait for the right moment and then go. Lets hope so. He's gotten better with competition coming in. Gomez and now Flano can both play in that slot so lets hope he keeps getting better.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #611: Feb 19, 2016 03:16:56 pm
      Can't help but feel there is loads of potential for a key left footed back here. Tons of pace, can run all day and he is tough. However, there is also much to work on. He's actually a mediocre defender in 1v1 situations, and even more poor in defending the space, especially on counters. Then on the attacking side, how many times has he found himself in good positions, even scoring positions, and only hits the target 1 in 15 tries. Smith has a better delivery with slightly less pace but about the same defending ability. They both should be working like hell on their faults from now to the summer to establish who is the #1 choice.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #612: Feb 19, 2016 07:22:55 pm
      Strange that people bemoan his lack of end product and say that his delivery into the box is crap, yet also want him to be played further forward. He's a good player and a much better player than Flanagan. He's now become one of the scapegoats in our team. People find new ways to blame him for things that aren't his fault or are a result of him doing what Klopp wants him to do (getting forward). Can't be that bad if Klopp isn't dropping him for the much fawned over Flanagan or Smith.
      Kopite78
      Reply #613: Feb 19, 2016 07:25:21 pm
      Strange that people bemoan his lack of end product and say that his delivery into the box is crap, yet also want him to be played further forward.

He shouldn't be played further forward, theres a reason he was moved back earlier in his career, his pace, especially hitting from deep is his best asset, the rest he will improve on. Hes only a kid still

People said the same of Riise who was sh*te when he was played left mid.

Keep him at Left back, keep faith and he will mature
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,746 posts | 7177 
      Reply #614: Feb 19, 2016 07:28:10 pm
      He shouldn't be played further forward, theres a reason he was moved back earlier in his career, his pace, especially hitting from deep is his best asset, the rest he will improve on. Hes only a kid still

People said the same of Riise who was sh*te when he was played left mid.

Keep him at Left back, keep faith and he will mature

I can see improvement and he is still young and will make mistakes but his pace will affect the tactics of any opposition who push forward and leave space.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #615: Feb 19, 2016 08:19:50 pm
      Let's not forget he's made more chances than any other defender this season so his delivery isn't as bad as people harp on about. To be honest we never cross the ball anyway so it's not even an issue.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,229 posts | 4421 
      Reply #616: Feb 19, 2016 08:35:29 pm
      Let's not forget he's made more chances than any other defender this season so his delivery isn't as bad as people harp on about. To be honest we never cross the ball anyway so it's not even an issue.

You do realise that 3/4 of those chances created were earlier in the season. Lay the ball on to Coutinho to cut in from the left and hit the top stand!

Chances created what a useless stat........

Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #617: Feb 19, 2016 09:00:01 pm
      You do realise that 3/4 of those chances created were earlier in the season. Lay the ball on to Coutinho to cut in from the left and hit the top stand!

Chances created what a useless stat........

See how well we get on without creating any chances and then call it useless
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,229 posts | 4421 
      Reply #618: Feb 19, 2016 09:43:32 pm
      See how well we get on without creating any chances and then call it useless

What would you prefer a player like Smith who looks up when he crosses to find a player or Moreno who literally smashes the ball across the penalty area and if it happens to bounce off someone's backside is credited with a chance created?

I would much prefer he had the same number of assists than chances created.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #619: Feb 19, 2016 11:06:32 pm
      Strange that people bemoan his lack of end product and say that his delivery into the box is crap, yet also want him to be played further forward. He's a good player and a much better player than Flanagan. He's now become one of the scapegoats in our team. People find new ways to blame him for things that aren't his fault or are a result of him doing what Klopp wants him to do (getting forward). Can't be that bad if Klopp isn't dropping him for the much fawned over Flanagan or Smith.

You do talk a lot of tosh about this lad in this thread. I know you rate the lad and he played quite well the other night, one of our better players I thought but then so did Mignolet. Chances are his next big cock up is just around the corner unfortunately. And he's hardly a scapegoat, Benteke, Mignolet, Henderson, Milner getting plenty of bashing in other threads, Can has had his fair share and before that it was Lovren and Joe Allen. When you play she...te for two whole years (as LFC has) the players are bound to get criticised and you know what, they probably deserve it.

Moreno is a terrific athlete and he is a trier BUT he is technically poor, he falls to bits if he makes a bad start in matches and he makes brain fart decisions as a defender.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #620: Feb 20, 2016 01:11:08 am
      cant see this lad being around for more than one more season unless he addresses his defending ability, hes got a bag of energy, but that's about it at the moment

Quick Reply