Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Alberto Moreno (Contract Expired)

Read 178556 times
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Re: Alberto Moreno Player Thread
      Reply #851: May 20, 2016 09:23:06 am
      He's sh*te. Not fit for any premier league side. Enrique would of been better starting. Djimi Traore, Josemi, current form Neil Ruddock, John Prescott, Thatchers corpse...anyone.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #852: May 20, 2016 09:50:39 am
      Moreno, I like your attacking style but your defence is awful. If I don't see you next August I won't miss you at all.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #853: May 20, 2016 12:58:09 pm
      Moreno at his best is a better full back than Clyne.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Line of the F***ing century right there! Carry on with your stand up routine, got anymore gems like that ^^

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #854: May 20, 2016 01:01:45 pm
      Moreno at his best is a better full back than Clyne. At his best, Moreno has shown that he's good defensively, but he offers much more going forward than Clyne. Clyne is the better player because he's more consistent and rarely has dips, but when we beat Stoke 4-1, for instance, that was a better performance from Moreno than we've seen from Clyne all season. I'm not criticising Clyne, by the way, I think he's a good player and have no problems with him being our right back for the foreseeable future.

I like Moreno as a guy, he seems like a character but this comment...Jesus H Corbett.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #855: May 20, 2016 01:43:32 pm
      Bit in the Echo saying he is joint 3rd with Coutinho in the assists chart on 7.

NC on 3.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #856: May 20, 2016 01:48:33 pm
      This is spot on. He had a very good start to the season and was 6 or 7 out of 10 for a few months. He then had a couple of months where he was regularly having poor games. The past couple of months though (since that training camp in Spain) he's been solid and much improved going forward.

You really don't think he's had a single good game? :D That's really all that needs to be said. Not worth bothering persisting in a discussion with someone so blinkered.

More hyperbolic nonsense.

Well, that's clearly untrue.

You've literally just said you never ignore a player when he plays well. Should we trust you instead? Anyway, he's clearly not the only one that thinks that. Even if you don't want to count the praise he receives from certain posters on here, the likes of the Anfield Wrap and co. have praised him hugely since the training camp in Spain and they were praising him early in the season too.

At his best, he's shown a significantly higher ceiling than Clyne. Obviously he needs to add consistency to his game and cut out the stupid moments like last night, but the discrediting in here is ridiculous.

;D, posts after this has shown that you're more blinkered than I am. Well done
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #857: May 20, 2016 01:56:25 pm
      Moreno at his best is a better full back than Clyne. At his best, Moreno has shown that he's good defensively, but he offers much more going forward than Clyne. Clyne is the better player because he's more consistent and rarely has dips, but when we beat Stoke 4-1, for instance, that was a better performance from Moreno than we've seen from Clyne all season. I'm not criticising Clyne, by the way, I think he's a good player and have no problems with him being our right back for the foreseeable future.

A full back is a defender first and attacker second.

Clyne is light years ahead of Moreno as a defender.

Moreno is a better attacker but not by a great margin.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #858: May 20, 2016 04:03:24 pm

Yeah but he's first in assisting opposition goals ;)

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #859: May 20, 2016 04:32:29 pm

NC on 3.

How could he be when he has only put in 3 good crosses all season  :roll:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #860: May 20, 2016 04:49:51 pm
      He's fast, that is his ONLY asset. IN the liabilities column there is a very very long list! We need to upgrade our LB urgently.
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #861: May 20, 2016 07:01:50 pm
      People keep saying he is good going forward, but it's more a case of he often gets forward, that doesn't make you good. Clyne gets forward a lot less but makes more of it when he does. Moreno is up there all the time, hitting the first man with a cross, not getting on top of his volley or playing a dumb pass and then getting caught up field.

He is a clear case of fast car and a stupid driver.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #862: May 20, 2016 07:19:34 pm
      A full back is a defender first and attacker second.

Clyne is light years ahead of Moreno as a defender.

Moreno is a better attacker but not by a great margin.

A modern day full back in a Jürgen Klopp team has to be able to do both. People that go on about a full back being a defender first and other such nonsense are still living in the 80s. Football has moved on. Look at every top team's full backs. In all of them they have full backs who are stronger going forward than they are defensively.

Clyne has two goals and three assists in all competitions in 52 games. That's a really poor return.

Moreno's output is significantly higher.

People keep saying he is good going forward, but it's more a case of he often gets forward, that doesn't make you good. Clyne gets forward a lot less but makes more of it when he does. Moreno is up there all the time, hitting the first man with a cross, not getting on top of his volley or playing a dumb pass and then getting caught up field.

He is a clear case of fast car and a stupid driver.

This just isn't true. Moreno's output is significantly higher than Clyne's.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #863: May 20, 2016 08:19:07 pm
      A modern day full back in a Jürgen Klopp team has to be able to do both. People that go on about a full back being a defender first and other such nonsense are still living in the 80s. Football has moved on. Look at every top team's full backs. In all of them they have full backs who are stronger going forward than they are defensively.

Clyne has two goals and three assists in all competitions in 52 games. That's a really poor return.

Barney if you looked at Clyne's output when he was at Soton and look at his output the last 3 months of this past season you can clearly see he is starting to get forward again with booming runs and opening up the opposition. I don't think he forgot how to get forward he just moved to a very big club, had a change or mangers and is just starting to feel comfortable.

Considering the defense next to him he has played within himself (and who can blame him).
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #864: May 20, 2016 08:20:07 pm
      A modern day full back in a Jürgen Klopp team has to be able to do both.

Every full back in the world is expected to be able to attack, modern day, past, Klopp or not ;D.

People that go on about a full back being a defender first and other such nonsense are still living in the 80s. Football has moved on. Look at every top team's full backs. In all of them they have full backs who are stronger going forward than they are defensively.

There has been a lot of fantastic full backs that were better defensively than offensively over the last 5 years (even to this day too),  just look it up. You make it sound as if defensive full backs are obsolete.

Yet Clyne hasn't been the full back struggling this season and has fitted nicely in the Klopp system, which goes to show having a more defense minded full back can work just as good as an attacking full back that is "significantly" better.

How is Moreno's output significantly higher than Clyne's, would you like to go into detail? Alaba, Alba, Alves and Marcelo(players that come into my head) are significantly better, not Moreno.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #865: May 20, 2016 08:55:11 pm

If an assist is passing it to Coutinho who hits a thunderbolt from the edge of the box then yeah maybe it might be 7.

If its defined as creating a goalscoring opportunity I'd question that figure.

Did it say which goals the 7 were out of interest?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #866: May 20, 2016 09:11:40 pm
      If an assist is passing it to Coutinho who hits a thunderbolt from the edge of the box then yeah maybe it might be 7.

Just looked on TransferMarkt. It only mentions 6 but they were:

Norwich (1-1) - (1 assist) Great knock over the top to Ings.
      Stoke (4-1) - (1 assist) Basic 2 yard pass to Origi 40 yards away from goal
      Newcastle (2-2) - (2 assists) Another great knock over the top from a free kick, Studge chests it down, turns and puts it in the bottom corner. Second one was a 15 yard pass along the ground across the edge of the box.
      Southampton (6-1) - (2 assists) The first assist was a hammer of a shot that ended up taking a deflection off Origi. The second was a lofted cross into the box where Ibe chested it down and scored.

All in all, they've actually been some good assists.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #867: May 20, 2016 09:15:36 pm

No, but stats can paint a mad picture as we know. I can't, off the top of my head, remember any which, I suppose, suggests that there was nothing special.

May be wrong.

Edit: Nice one Mcarz
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #868: May 20, 2016 10:27:47 pm
      Another way of looking at Moreno is the number of chances he has had to put in a decent cross but like his defensive  clearances he has just hammered the ball across the penalty area hoping it takes a deflection.

Unfortunately those stats don't exist.

I think it's safe to say he is a case of where our eyes have not deceived.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #869: May 20, 2016 10:30:50 pm
      How many times has he taken a throw in and literally thrown infield and given away possession. Even kids are taught throw down the line!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #870: May 20, 2016 10:36:19 pm
      Cheers for the stats in any case I'm not going to overkill the lad for Wednesday. Wasn't all his fault.

Ultimately he is just symptomatic of too many average players in the squad bought most probably on the basis that they were
      a) young
      b) looked good on a distance covered spreadsheet or whatever stat is our flavour of the month
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #871: May 20, 2016 10:38:38 pm
      How many times has he taken a throw in and literally thrown infield and given away possession. Even kids are taught throw down the line!

There is a reason Sevilla fans were shocked when we agreed to pay the amount of money when he signed.

We have spent money on some donkeys over the years and Alberto will rank up there.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #872: May 20, 2016 10:54:31 pm
      Cheers for the stats in any case I'm not going to overkill the lad for Wednesday. Wasn't all his fault.

Ultimately he is just symptomatic of too many average players in the squad bought most probably on the basis that they were
      a) young
      b) looked good on a distance covered spreadsheet or whatever stat is our flavour of the month

...or whatever bollocks covers a team entirely out of it's depth at this level.

Edit: second tier level.

A level our owners obviously think is befitting of our status.

The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #873: May 20, 2016 11:58:21 pm
      I would not be opposed to keeping Moreno "IF" they worked on his defensive play,decisions make and positional play over the summer... If that can not be addressed then pack his bags and send him on his way

Quick Reply