Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Sergio Romero (Sampdoria)

Read 12994 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Sergio Romero (Sampdoria)
      Reply #23: Aug 13, 2014 11:19:36 pm
      not at all an attack on Mignolet who by all accounts is a top bloke and has always come across articulate in his interviews etc.  But this is Liverpool Football Club, not Liverpool Nice Bloke Club.

anyway there is no "attack," I'm just sick and tired of those supporters who are happy with us having a mediocre keeper when we need a top class keeper.  I bet you if City got rid of Hart and he was available, no one would want him here---he's about a thousand times better than Mignolet but some people want Mignolet to be our number one just because... he is ours.  And at that point Mignolet becomes bigger than the club.

Not only do we need a keeper to challenge Jones (that's nothing), we need one to challenge MIGNOLET for the starting spot.  And before you get angry at me, go and read what Barrett said in the Times about how no one, including Rodgers, was convinced by Mignolet last season. 

We have improved massively on our back four, and yet no one seems to think Mignolet needs improving upon.  And yet you want to know something---there is no way in HELL you can say with a straight face that Mignolet was better at his position last season than Skrtel was at his.  And yet people want Skrtel benched, but not Mignolet.

If we want to win the league and have a real shot at the CL then we need a top class keeper, simple as.  And I'm sorry to say it but it's not Mignolet. 

I don't know if it's Romero.  But it's not Mignolet.

Now this is a much better post, with points raised and everything, not that I acquiesce with it in its entirety.  Shame your first post was such a douchey one.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24: Aug 13, 2014 11:21:53 pm
      He'd be decent back up but don't think Mignolet would be too worried.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #25: Aug 13, 2014 11:25:51 pm
      I'll be back, like Arnie
      Not to attack anyone..
      I'll be back for the facts about this new goalie link.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #26: Aug 13, 2014 11:29:06 pm
      He'd be decent back up but don't think Mignolet would be too worried.

Pretty much what I thought, spent last season on loan, largely on his arse as a  substitute.
      Bier
      Reply #27: Aug 13, 2014 11:30:04 pm
      If we're looking for a good back up we should go for Kenneth Vermeer from Ajax. Available for 1 million euros. He lost his starting spot at Ajax to Cillessen last season, mainly because Cillessen was younger with a longer contract. Kenneth Vermeer is a great sweeper keeper. Was Van Gaal's first choice keeper for the Dutch national team, but ended up dropping him due to his limited playing time at Ajax. I think he's better than Vorm at least, has great reflexes.
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #28: Aug 13, 2014 11:30:33 pm
      Pretty much what I thought, spent last season on loan, largely on his arse as a  substitute.

Always did feel sorry for goalkeepers for that reason. Probably the hardest position to be given a chance to cement a first team place. Most spend their careers as subs.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #29: Aug 13, 2014 11:30:56 pm
      I trust Rodgers over some random person on a forum on the internet.

well by all accounts, not even Rodgers trusts Mignolet.  so neither should you.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #30: Aug 13, 2014 11:31:23 pm

What accounts are these then?
      Bier
      Reply #31: Aug 13, 2014 11:36:46 pm
      Always did feel sorry for goalkeepers for that reason. Probably the hardest position to be given a chance to cement a first team place. Most spend their careers as subs.

Was his own doing though, gave up a starting position at Sampdoria to go out on loan to sugar daddy club Monaco.

He's a bit of a dick anyway, I remember when he was at AZ, after the summer break he just didn't return, the club had no clue where he was. He never returned and forced a move away.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #32: Aug 13, 2014 11:36:46 pm

Was wondering that myself, have not heard one mention of Rodgers having issues with Migs.

Links Fed?

or

Are you assuming since we are looking at a keeper that somehow means Migs is in trouble and not the possibility of BR wanting to upgrade Jones or the fact we have CL this season and we just let Pepe go so he wants 3 keepers available?

Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #33: Aug 13, 2014 11:39:02 pm
      Was his own doing though, gave up a starting position at Sampdoria to go out on loan to sugar daddy club Monaco.

He's a bit of a dick anyway, I remember when he was at AZ, after the summer break he just didn't return, the club had no clue where he was. He never returned and forced a move away.

Just meant goalkeepers in general, mate. But I get your point :)

Well that's the last thing any club needs is someone posting missing. Totally unprofessional.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #34: Aug 13, 2014 11:39:58 pm

And back to douchey.

How do you figure that?  Where are all these accounts? We haven't been linked to any keeper that's an improvement on him and the one that was any sort of competition is gone

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #35: Aug 13, 2014 11:42:27 pm
      Now this is a much better post, with points raised and everything, not that I acquiesce with it in its entirety.  Shame your first post was such a douchey one.

Sorry mate but I am just sick and tired of all of this bollocks.  We are in this awkward position now where we never really have been as supporters---do we support the plethora of sh*te players we have, come hell or high water, and not care about the club, or do we care about the club, and start getting ruthless with the players who aren't good enough?

yes, it's true, I wish Rafa had come back in 2012, but even I know that he signed some donkeys during his time.  And yet since FSG came, we have signed so many midtable players on absurd fees that it's not even funny.  Carroll, Downing, Adam, Allen, Borini, the list goes on.  The harsh truth is this: we would not have been any worse off had those players never come to the club.  And yet we would have had almost 100m saved in transfers fees alone, let alone in wages.

We had Suarez, one of the best players ever to put on the red shirt, and what did we do?  oh nothing, for the first two years we tried to force him and that donkey Carroll into the most ridiculous partnership ever, surrounded him with Downing and Adam etc and essentially wasted 2 years of his time here.  Then Rodgers came in and it took until January of 2013 to even start bringing in decent players like Coutinho.  By that time Suarez's head was already turned.  We all wanted him to wait but we were perpetually "a work in progress," why the hell should he have waited around during the prime of his career while the club fu**ed up again and again and again?

And now, Suarez is gone.  Not coming back.  And we totally wasted 85% of his time here, by sticking with midtable players.  That's the harsh truth.  We prioritized the development of midtable garbage over getting the best out of Suarez.   And I'm tired of it. 

Anyway, back on topic.  I'm sorry but Mignolet is a midtable keeper, end of.  Borini is a midtable striker, end of.  The list goes on. 

So.  You can sit there and say "oh Mignolet, we don't care how underwhelming you are, you'll never get dropped," or you can look in the mirror and be ruthless say "we need to win the F***ing league, year in and year out, and challenge for the CL."  And to do that we have to upgrade on all these midtable players, Mignolet included.  We've started to do that.  But we can't stop.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #36: Aug 13, 2014 11:42:41 pm
      not at all an attack on Mignolet who by all accounts is a top bloke and has always come across articulate in his interviews etc.  But this is Liverpool Football Club, not Liverpool Nice Bloke Club.

anyway there is no "attack," I'm just sick and tired of those supporters who are happy with us having a mediocre keeper when we need a top class keeper.  I bet you if City got rid of Hart and he was available, no one would want him here---he's about a thousand times better than Mignolet but some people want Mignolet to be our number one just because... he is ours.  And at that point Mignolet becomes bigger than the club.

Not only do we need a keeper to challenge Jones (that's nothing), we need one to challenge MIGNOLET for the starting spot.  And before you get angry at me, go and read what Barrett said in the Times about how no one, including Rodgers, was convinced by Mignolet last season. 

We have improved massively on our back four, and yet no one seems to think Mignolet needs improving upon.  And yet you want to know something---there is no way in HELL you can say with a straight face that Mignolet was better at his position last season than Skrtel was at his.  And yet people want Skrtel benched, but not Mignolet.

If we want to win the league and have a real shot at the CL then we need a top class keeper, simple as.  And I'm sorry to say it but it's not Mignolet. 

I don't know if it's Romero.  But it's not Mignolet.

You belittled a liverpool player in an thread which has no relevance to your post. If you don't have a problem with Migs then you'd of stated this is either good or bad because this keeper is likely to be good enough to push Mignolet to get better (which is what you should want) or bad because he isn't the keeper to do that.

Instead you went on about things that people to say in Mignolets defence, which are partly true, but to say that wasn't an attack on him is bullshit.

I agree he isn't the best keeper out there, but he will get better but not if we just get rid off him, is that the type of club you want us to result into, buying players starting them for a year and then benching them for the rest of their time here or selling them on. He can do better and he will do we better.

We just need a stronger keeper than Jones to push him.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #37: Aug 13, 2014 11:43:32 pm

I shouldn't trust Mignolet? You're acting soft now, because BR wants a back up goalie or something? All teams have them. My confidence with our number 1 goalkeeper is full to the brim.
      I'm not against our manager. when will you be the next Shankly or something? Why should I think you're worthy of such decisions?

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #38: Aug 13, 2014 11:44:51 pm

From Tony Barrett's article just a week ago in the Times:

And don't even START with "what does he know" etc.  Barrett is probably the closest journo to the club outside of Pearce.  He knows exactly what is going on.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #39: Aug 13, 2014 11:46:28 pm
      Sorry mate but I am just sick and tired of all of this bollocks. 

Simple solution, stop typing.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #40: Aug 13, 2014 11:47:27 pm

yea, clearly it's my fault that Mignolet isn't good enough....
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #41: Aug 13, 2014 11:48:08 pm
      And now, Suarez is gone.  Not coming back.  And we totally wasted 85% of his time here, by sticking with midtable players.  That's the harsh truth.  We prioritized the development of midtable garbage over getting the best out of Suarez.   And I'm tired of it.

You mean the mid-table players that finished better than Untied, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs? You mean the mid-table players that got us back into CL after 4 years?

At what point did you realize back in 2010 that these owners were not going to be like Chelsea/Man City/PSG...at what point did you not realize that we were never going to "stack" the squad and have the look of Barca or Madrid?

You are truly one deluded fella.

You are also a mid-table championship poster that is very lucky not to get relegated.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #42: Aug 13, 2014 11:52:44 pm
      At what point did you realize back in 2010 that these owners were not going to be like Chelsea/Man City/PSG...at what point did you not realize that we were never going to "stack" the squad and have the look of Barca or Madrid?

That would make sense if they said they were going to come in and spend very little money.  Then we would just have to accept that. 

But no.  They have spent absurd amounts of money on players who have contributed SWEET F**k ALL to our club.  Over £200m in the last few years alone, including this summer. 

So, it seems what you're saying is, the owners ARE going to spend Chelsea/PSG type money, they're just going to spend it on awful players.

Well if they're going to spend money like PSG and Chelsea, why not spend buying top players instead of the sh*te ones??

"oh because the top players don't want to come here"!

Well why the F**k do you think they don't want to come here??  gee, could it have anything to do with the fact that they didn't want to play with the likes of Carroll, Downing, Allen, Borini, Lucas etc???

I mean did you see the scowls Suarez used to shoot at Borini when he misplayed a pass, when he lost the ball, when he couldn't do a basic 1-2??

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #43: Aug 13, 2014 11:54:33 pm
      From Tony Barrett's article just a week ago in the Times:

And don't even START with "what does he know" etc.  Barrett is probably the closest journo to the club outside of Pearce.  He knows exactly what is going on.

That's not a quote from Brendan you plank it's another Journo who in fact has been has pretty far off the mark this season despite being close to the club.

Goes to show clubs can use the press to send out the wrong signals.

Any way back to the original question where is the quotes of Brendan not being happy with Mignolet.

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #44: Aug 13, 2014 11:55:08 pm
      That would make sense if they said they were going to come in and spend very little money.  Then we would just have to accept that. 

But no.  They have spent absurd amounts of money on players who have contributed SWEET F**k ALL to our club.  Over £200m in the last few years alone, including this summer. 

So, it seems what you're saying is, the owners ARE going to spend Chelsea/PSG type money, they're just going to spend it on awful players.

Well if they're going to spend money like PSG and Chelsea, why not spend buying top players instead of the sh*te ones??

"oh because the top players don't want to come here"!

Well why the F**k do you think they don't want to come here??  gee, could it have anything to do with the fact that they didn't want to play with the likes of Carroll, Downing, Allen, Lucas etc???

Who are the sh*t players in our club?
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #45: Aug 13, 2014 11:57:18 pm
      Sorry mate but I am just sick and tired of all of this bollocks.  We are in this awkward position now where we never really have been as supporters---do we support the plethora of sh*te players we have, come hell or high water, and not care about the club, or do we care about the club, and start getting ruthless with the players who aren't good enough?

yes, it's true, I wish Rafa had come back in 2012, but even I know that he signed some donkeys during his time.  And yet since FSG came, we have signed so many midtable players on absurd fees that it's not even funny.  Carroll, Downing, Adam, Allen, Borini, the list goes on.  The harsh truth is this: we would not have been any worse off had those players never come to the club.  And yet we would have had almost 100m saved in transfers fees alone, let alone in wages.

We had Suarez, one of the best players ever to put on the red shirt, and what did we do?  oh nothing, for the first two years we tried to force him and that donkey Carroll into the most ridiculous partnership ever, surrounded him with Downing and Adam etc and essentially wasted 2 years of his time here.  Then Rodgers came in and it took until January of 2013 to even start bringing in decent players like Coutinho.  By that time Suarez's head was already turned.  We all wanted him to wait but we were perpetually "a work in progress," why the hell should he have waited around during the prime of his career while the club fu**ed up again and again and again?

Anyway, back on topic.  I'm sorry but Mignolet is a midtable keeper, end of.  Borini is a midtable striker, end of.  The list goes on. 

So.  You can sit there and say "oh Mignolet, we don't care how underwhelming you are, you'll never get dropped," or you can look in the mirror and be ruthless say "we need to win the F***ing league, year in and year out, and challenge for the CL."  And to do that we have to upgrade on all these midtable players, Mignolet included.  We've started to do that.  But we can't stop.

I agree with some parts of your post, I'm not going to respond in full as I cba, however I will make my opinion on this.

Suarez when he first joined wasn't that great, he missed god knows how many chances and people thought he could never be that clinical striker. After a couple of seasons he is the best striker in the world.

I don't think Mignolet was great last season, but I think he deserves a second season, as he wasn't that bad. The defence was pretty appealing all season and he made a lot of great saves.

Some other signings like Lucas improved massively after a season or two.

I think Mignolet deserves a second season so he can improve on his weaknesses, and if he isn't up to the standard required, then we should be looking at a new keeper.

If we signed a replacement for every signing we made that didn't start out brilliantly, we'd be forever selling and buying.

I do think having a great keeper compared to a good keeper is the same as having a great striker to a good striker. And I'd rate Mignolet as a good keeper.

Quick Reply