Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Owen Pleaded To Return in 2009

Read 9476 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Owen Pleaded To Return in 2009
      Reply #69: Aug 20, 2014 12:00:31 pm
      Maybe we should have a poll, who was at fault for Owen not returning,  Rafa or Owen?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #70: Aug 20, 2014 12:15:59 pm
      Maybe we should have a poll, who was at fault for Owen not returning,  Rafa or Owen?

Owen.
      He runs his contract down, goes to RM on the cheap (and probably gets higher wages because of the low fee), it doesn't work out for him so he starts making noises to "come and get him", and Rafa promptly fucks him off.
      If he'd given Rafa a year, just one more season, and did a Suarez by signing a new contract which meant we got a decent price for him, then he wouldn't be held in the contempt that he is.
      If my memory is working, Rafa asked him to stay etc, but Owen was looking after Owen.
      He can't then complain when LFC looked after LFC and didn't become a retirement home on huge wages for a perpetually injured scummy little tw*t who bit the hand that fed him.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      Reply #71: Aug 20, 2014 12:21:29 pm
      Owen.
      He runs his contract down, goes to RM on the cheap (and probably gets higher wages because of the low fee), it doesn't work out for him so he starts making noises to "come and get him", and Rafa promptly fucks him off.
      If he'd given Rafa a year, just one more season, and did a Suarez by signing a new contract which meant we got a decent price for him, then he wouldn't be held in the contempt that he is.
      If my memory is working, Rafa asked him to stay etc, but Owen was looking after Owen.
      He can't then complain when LFC looked after LFC and didn't become a retirement home on huge wages for a perpetually injured scummy little tw*t who bit the hand that fed him.

Makes sense. I agree, I was pissed off when he left but kept remembering myself being pissed Rafa for benching him around that time when we needed the wins.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #72: Aug 20, 2014 12:30:06 pm
      Makes sense. I agree, I was pissed off when he left but kept remembering myself being pissed Rafa for benching him around that time when we needed the wins.

I thought Rafa came in the closed season when owen moved to madrid, and that owen didn't play in the CL qualifiers to avoid being cup tied?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      Reply #73: Aug 20, 2014 12:33:33 pm
      I thought Rafa came in the closed season when owen moved to madrid, and that owen didn't play in the CL qualifiers to avoid being cup tied?

I was young born in 95 not sure how old that would have made me, but my memories failing me. Yeah I remember seeing Owen on the bench and the commentator saying because of this its highly likely his leaving hence my anger. Now I remember.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #74: Aug 20, 2014 12:45:34 pm
      I was young born in 95 not sure how old that would have made me, but my memories failing me. Yeah I remember seeing Owen on the bench and the commentator saying because of this its highly likely his leaving hence my anger. Now I remember.

This was '94, so it would have made you a sperm or a foetus  :laugh:
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      Reply #75: Aug 20, 2014 01:04:59 pm
      This was '94, so it would have made you a sperm or a foetus  :laugh:

Wasn't it 2004/2005.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #76: Aug 20, 2014 05:06:44 pm
      I hate Michael Owen.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #77: Aug 21, 2014 05:21:20 pm
      Just in case Owen stops by the forum...
      thought I'd get him a little treat for all the hard work he puts in curing insomnia through commentary...

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #78: Aug 21, 2014 05:30:37 pm

Yep
      I blame the pain meds for these constant brain farts ;D
      N3M0N
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #79: Aug 28, 2014 08:01:04 am
      He said he's huge fan of Everton, so yes, playing for l'pool for him was just a job...
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #80: Aug 28, 2014 09:34:08 am
      I think the decision to join Real and the timing cut deep into the memory of many fans.  He was totally loved here; I remember those days, as do many of us.  I think he had a big post-playing career also ahead of him at LFC - before the move to Real.  The club got a pittance of a fee by todays standards.
      I'm not entirely sure what went on in the background (there are claims and counter-claims) but he gave the outward appearance of time-wasting over new contract discussions with us and thus aided and abetted Real in their bid to get his transfer fee down.  The move to Newcastle was probably good for his career, but the move to the Mancs finally put him beyond the pale.  I don't think there are many fans at the Club who have any time for him now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,208 posts | 8566 
      Reply #81: Aug 28, 2014 03:25:13 pm
      He said he's huge fan of Everton, so yes, playing for l'pool for him was just a job...

His dad played for Everton!!

Rush, Fowler, Carragher

All blues fans, but now Liverpool legends. Michael Owen can F**k off!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #82: Aug 28, 2014 05:17:11 pm
      Is he on the look out for a new book or broadcasting deal or something? Self publicity comes to mind with this interview. I loved him for what he did for us. I was sad when he left because we desparately needed him but didn't begrudge him too much because it was Real Madrid. But going to United hurt. He never was a true LFC family member, his own career was always much more improtant to him. Stevie turned down Chelsea, twice and Carra never even considered it. Shows where true loyalties lies.

As I said, didn't begrudge him too much for going to Real and Newcastle, but going to United, knowing he was never going to get regular games, felt like he was giving us the finger for not wanting him - and for that, I lost respect for him. He can do one.
      Scottish Red Stu
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      • Make Us Dream
      Reply #83: Aug 28, 2014 07:22:02 pm
      More interested in money rather than football. Was my idol growing up doesn't even come close to my favourite ever Liverpool players now.

Quick Reply