Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

22 Mignolet
      21 (12.4%)
      19 Manquillo
      2 (1.2%)
      02 Johnson
      2 (1.2%)
      37 Skrtel
      4 (2.4%)
      06 Lovren
      24 (14.1%)
      31 Sterling
      80 (47.1%)
      08 Gerrard
      1 (0.6%)
      21 Lucas*
      0 (0%)
      14 Henderson
      32 (18.8%)
      10 Coutinho**
      0 (0%)
      15 Sturridge
      2 (1.2%)
      24 Allen -Sub  63'*
      2 (1.2%)
      09 Lambert -Sub 76'**
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 167

Liverpool 2:1 Southampton. In game and post match relief.

Read 29681 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Liverpool 2:1 Southampton. In game and post match relief.
      Reply #598: Aug 17, 2014 08:18:14 pm
      Just re-watched the game, Coutinho, Johnson and Gerrard our worst three, Skrtel, Manquillo & Sterling our best.  Southampton were well drilled, Koeman deserves credit for that.  3 pts on the board, which was the goal.

Skrtel? I thought Lovren had a far more commanding game at centre half.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #599: Aug 17, 2014 08:25:20 pm
      Skrtel? I thought Lovren had a far more commanding game at centre half.

Also some of his passing was sublime. I personally was very, very impressed with Lovren.

He got done slightly on one of their goals but not only should Johnson have covered for him (like Lovren had all game for Johnson) but Lucas should have tracked his man and Skrtel should have swung around better too. So he most certainly has only a small percentage of the blame in that goal.

Not to mention that Migs was stuck on his line too.

Think Manquillo hasn't got the credit he's deserved from the game, nice to see Rodders picking out one of our better players on 2nd watch because apart from passing back where it came consistently (debut nerves) he was very solid. Some talk of him being out of position, I didn't see much of that and was much better at pressing.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #600: Aug 17, 2014 08:32:16 pm
      Just re-watched the game, Coutinho, Johnson and Gerrard our worst three, Skrtel, Manquillo & Sterling our best.  Southampton were well drilled, Koeman deserves credit for that.  3 pts on the board, which was the goal.

Coutinho was closed down well and SG did have a quiet time of it, both as you point out no doubt the result of Southampton's game plan.
      Johnson needed no particular attention because he didn't present a threat to them, they had their tactics spot on.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #601: Aug 17, 2014 08:37:45 pm
      Also some of his passing was sublime. I personally was very, very impressed with Lovren.

He got done slightly on one of their goals but not only should Johnson have covered for him (like Lovren had all game for Johnson) but Lucas should have tracked his man and Skrtel should have swung around better too. So he most certainly has only a small percentage of the blame in that goal.

The lad oozed confidence mate and the authority that gives, have high hopes for Lovren.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,723 posts | 566 
      Reply #602: Aug 17, 2014 08:39:10 pm
      Just got back, needed a few beers after that. Christ we looked awful. Hendo, Skrtel, Lovren were very good. The rest of us looked fu**ed, travelling to america after a world cup - no surprises then.

We need 7 days rest big time....lets hope we gell quickly.........

3 points is the bonus.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #603: Aug 17, 2014 08:43:13 pm
      3 points great start to the season although we struggled at times , Brendans subs payed off,
      Mignolet  got my man of the match outstanding save.

YNWA
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #604: Aug 17, 2014 08:56:40 pm
      Allen should have started that game in my opinion.

I was watching highlights from that game where we beat the mancs 2-0 with a late nog goal and Lucas played like a completely different player. It's disappointing to see just how debilitating those injures he suffered were.

Yep, they have hampered him in a big way. I'd argue he has lost 10% in terms of his top line speed, his Acceleration and his ability to change direction. He doesn't have that snap and sharpness that was so evident over those two excellent seasons. I still think he can be useful in Europe but much like Stevie he needs a couple of runners in there with him.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #605: Aug 17, 2014 09:08:57 pm
      Jut finished watching the recording. Yikes, hopefully we tighten up a bit next week, that second half was frazzled. I can say that Clatterberg was atrocious, he let the Saints players foul us all day long, ridiculous refereeing.

Really thought Can should have been on today, we needed a little steel in midfield with Wanyama the foul machine. But Brendan made the right subs and we got 3 points from a shaky performance. Thought Mignolet was pretty good today. Sterling probably MOTM for me.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #606: Aug 17, 2014 09:20:22 pm
      We were far from convincing with Lucas and Couthinho not up to scratch . Thankfully Rodgers made the right move and subbed them . I thought Mignolet took his failings of last season on board and has shown today what he's made of and he had a fine game .
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #607: Aug 17, 2014 09:22:12 pm
      Thought we were lucky to get the 3 points today. Our usual excellent movement in the final 3rd wasn't there and we failed to dominate in midfield. Thought Manquillo and Lovren had a good debuts and 3 points is 3 points.

Thought the ref had a shocker, in fact, he was almost as bad as the atmosphere which was one of the worse I've ever experienced at Anfield.
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2014 09:35:27 pm by kelvo »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,277 posts | 762 
      Reply #608: Aug 17, 2014 09:39:35 pm
      The Sturridge & Sterling partnership strikes already !
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #609: Aug 17, 2014 09:40:53 pm
      Great OP Clint and condolences to your family on the loss of your grandma.
      From the first goal to the 94 minute my heart was in my mouth we never really seemed to want to finish them off and we're always prone to losing the lead, I wont last another 37 league games like that one that's for sure !
      Glad to see SAS back again albeit Raheem for Luis and another opening game 1 goal victory with a winner from Sturridge hope this season is as eventful as last!
      I predicted 3-1, pre-season optimism but there you go!
      Next up Citeh And I'll be in Spain for that one.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #610: Aug 17, 2014 09:47:58 pm
      Where is the abuse numb nuts?

You criticise me for stating that the substitutions of Allen & Lambert did in fact make an impact, when you implied that it was worrying that they were all we could muster and did not make an impact.

Did I say Southampton were never in the game after they came on, did I? I don't think I did.

I never said you could not have an opinion, did I?
      I was disagreeing with you, as you rightly said "People are entitled .....to express their concerns on a football forum", as I did.

But you then fall foul of your own high moral standards of free speech, and criticise me, by trying to dictate my mindset.

People in glass houses should not throw stones.

Oh dear God. I'm going to leave it there mate.

Moving on - very impressed with STERLING today. Even though I doubted his ability to live up to his standards of last season, it seems like that I'll be proved wrong on that account - and that's something I will be delighted about. Really starting to show characteristics of someone who will evolve into a world class player. His touch, his vision, and his ability to create is incredible for someone at such a young age. He's also an excellent performer against City so am looking forward to seeing him tear it up at the Etihad.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #611: Aug 17, 2014 10:04:20 pm
      And what was wrong with the crowd at the match? All I heard were the Soton fans, hardly anything from reds supporters, it was a bit embarrassing. 
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #612: Aug 17, 2014 10:25:17 pm
      And what was wrong with the crowd at the match? All I heard were the Soton fans, hardly anything from reds supporters, it was a bit embarrassing.

A little anxious I believe. We usually play quick free flowing football and that was never the case today. The fans seemed to have picked up on it. Many passes were also being intercepted with relative ease. It was a frustrating game to watch.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #613: Aug 17, 2014 10:41:58 pm
      Last year, we only scored one on the opening day - this year we scored 2. We're already one up ;)

Three points are three points and that'll do me fine.

Well in Reds. Build on it.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #614: Aug 17, 2014 11:09:54 pm
      Actually thought Skrtel was pretty poor which goes against what most have said in here. Let the long balls bounce too much and made a few mistakes which went unpunished. Lovren did an excellent job though and Manquillo after a shaky start improved a lot as the game went on (maybe he would have had an even better game if he wasn't so harshly booked).

The Gerrard-Lucas partnership doesn't work at all and it showed again. Too slow and both want to be in similar positions. Both are more comfortable holding on their own or with a more mobile partner so hopefully Can or Allen come in from the start next weekend.

Fluidity wasn't quite there in our attack but Hendo and Sterling showed great energy and that along with a clinical finish from Sturridge was enough today. It's not an area that worries me at the moment as we do have Lallana and Markovic out (and hopefully that new striker to come in).

A lot to work on before City but opening day is all about grinding out the points and we did that so I'll be going to bed a happy man.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #615: Aug 17, 2014 11:10:22 pm
      Last year, we only scored one on the opening day - this year we scored 2. We're already one up ;)

Agree, 3 points better off against these and only conceded 1 against 2 last season.
      No mention of migs save on radio.
      Put it down to sneiderlin miss.
      Terrific save. I went for Skrtel morn as on the radio commentary it sounded like he was the main object of southamptons frustration.
      Lucky to get the win really but 3 points is 3 points
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #616: Aug 17, 2014 11:17:45 pm

Yeah, season openers are generally tight. None of the other title contenders looked convincing in their games either. We got the 3 points and that matters more than the performance. Manquillo, Lovren, and Sterling all give reason for optimism.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #617: Aug 17, 2014 11:24:02 pm
      Lucky to get the win really but 3 points is 3 points

I don't think we were lucky.

When we attacked, Southampton couldn't cope with us. The only reason they got into the game and started to dominate it was because we let them. We went one up (deservingly) and then just completely took our foot off the pedal. Sat back, lost our rhythm and allowed them into the game. They got the equaliser that there play deserved.

When we started to attack again in the second half with the slight change of system with Lambert and Sturridge up top, Southampton once again failed to live with our attack. If we stayed on the front foot throughout, the game would of been a cricket score. It was the problems we sort of suffered from at the backend of last season where we started defending leads and losing them (or having them halved at least)
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #618: Aug 18, 2014 12:29:21 am
      The Gerrard-Lucas partnership doesn't work at all and it showed again.

I think Lucas gets a lot of stick for the fact that when he and Stevie play together they play deep and perform the role of one player. If Stevie plays deep then he is expected to be the Pirlo type play maker but he isn't that player. If Lucas plays deep then he plays the traditional DM. I agree they don't play together as it stands. I don't agree its all because Lucas is not good enough.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #619: Aug 18, 2014 12:35:27 am
      I think Lucas gets a lot of stick for the fact that when he and Stevie play together they play deep and perform the role of one player. If Stevie plays deep then he is expected to be the Pirlo type play maker but he isn't that player. If Lucas plays deep then he plays the traditional DM. I agree they don't play together as it stands. I don't agree its all because Lucas is not good enough.

I agree, for me what it is, Gerrard is more tempted to go forward with Lucas there and sometimes leaves a lot of space in behind him, leaving us vulnerable. And in an attacking sense the pair don't actually work with one holding and one getting forwarded consistently enough its as if neither of them are fully comfortable in the pairing as to what there roles are.

Gerrard and Lucas a like both would prefer I am sure to play the deep lying role by themselves. For me Gerrard has done brilliantly in that position so far, but Lucas when needed could replace Gerrard and do an adequate job but neither benefit from a pairing.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #620: Aug 18, 2014 01:09:36 am
      "Post match relief" is right haha

I mean, it's 3 points on the opening, can't complain about that. No team really played well this weekend, so I'm not too worried about it. Nor am I worried about Coutinho being quiet. Saints did a great job of tracking him with both Wanyama and Schneiderlin, who were both brilliant.

I think playing Lucas-Gerrard as a double pivot is something that should be avoided at all costs. It has to be one or the other with either Allen or Can playing next to Henderson, who btw also shouldn't be shoved out on the right.

Lovren looks a top addition and Manquillo is going to grow into a very good fullback. I was a little disappointed with Skrtel today though. He cut out the simple stuff, but felt he needed to better keep his head once Southampton having a go at us. We buckled and in fact broke. The fingertips of Mignolet and Shane Long being Shane Long bailed us out.

Quick Reply