Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

22 Mignolet
      21 (12.4%)
      19 Manquillo
      2 (1.2%)
      02 Johnson
      2 (1.2%)
      37 Skrtel
      4 (2.4%)
      06 Lovren
      24 (14.1%)
      31 Sterling
      80 (47.1%)
      08 Gerrard
      1 (0.6%)
      21 Lucas*
      0 (0%)
      14 Henderson
      32 (18.8%)
      10 Coutinho**
      0 (0%)
      15 Sturridge
      2 (1.2%)
      24 Allen -Sub  63'*
      2 (1.2%)
      09 Lambert -Sub 76'**
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 167

Liverpool 2:1 Southampton. In game and post match relief.

Read 29733 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Liverpool 2:1 Southampton. In game and post match relief.
      Reply #621: Aug 18, 2014 01:21:01 am
      Lucas has copped some for a poor performance in midfield but i don't think he was. He played fairly well but he didnt suit the game at all. At our best we have a flat back three when we have the ball with Stevie splitting the centre backs. Yesterday we had a back four with Skrtel and Lovren playing narrower and Stevie and Lucas camped in front of them in a square shape. It just completely isolated Coutinho in the middle and Hendo too, and in turn our attack suffered.

I was praying Can came on at some point in the second half to help us dominate the middle a bit more. No one from midfield was making those runs through the centre like Hendo usually does when he plays deeper alongside Stevie. Secondly, no one was pressing the Southampton midfield on our left hand side.

Got to give Lovren and Skrtel a huge pat on the back. They covered so much and really saved Johnson more than a few times. For the goal we conceded Lovren is trying to block the opposition midfielder and Johnson just completely misses his opposite man to let him run through on goal. Skrtel tries to cover a lot of ground to make up for it but couldn't.

Johnson and Lucas cost us that goal. You look at Lucas' positioning and see how he lets Clyne continue his run unopposed in to our box. It's calamitous defending and its very simple to defend against - simply track your man. But Johnson then has to cover Clyne and cut in to close the space but he just stands there marking....no one. He's facing the action and can see what is about to happen but i don't know if he's clueless to not cover the ground, or just doesn't want to.

Johnson's positioning 99% of the time is very scary when he dangles about without looking around him to see where the danger lies. He constantly finger points and talks to those around him but i wonder what the F**k he is saying when he just dawdles about without a clue. And dont get me started on his tracking back when he does get forward.

And in attack he's completely lost it. How many times did he have space to run in to but he simply stood there, turned around and passed it back or sideways? And then he tries to outpace Nat Clyne! I do hope Brendan drops him for Manquillo and Moreno to take up the fullback spots.

On the opposite flank, Javi was just great. Making some great interceptions, taking up terrific positions in both defence and attack and the kid runs and runs and runs to make sure he doesn't leave space behind when he does get forward. Secondly, his first touch is brilliant! He took three passes from Stevie that were cross-field passes and the ball just stops dead at his feet when he brings it down, it's in front of him so he can instantly look up and see where to move the ball or run in to space.

Skrtel and Lovren - again, superb. My only concern with Skrtel is he did let a few high balls trouble him when he let them bounce instead of attack the ball. Lovren had no problems there. Other than that small thing, they were great.

Mignolet was just first class keeping out the first effort from Schneiderlein i think it was, and of course Long at the death. He does keep flapping at the ball when it's crossed in though. That moment in the first half where he gets stuck behind Pelle, he has to concede and drop back to his goal but he kept trying to push through his man and punch it - he didn't even get close to punching it away effectively. One or two more times with corners and crosses he was flat footed and just stuck a hand out. They're things he can work on and i do hope he does because he could be anything he wants to be as a keeper if he gets those things right - he's big, great wingspan, reflexes like a cat. His problems with crosses and distribution can be coached.

Plenty to work on but we won. I'll take that.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,190 posts | 1271 
      Reply #622: Aug 18, 2014 04:03:42 am
      Just got back, needed a few beers after that. Christ we looked awful. Hendo, Skrtel, Lovren were very good. The rest of us looked fu**ed, travelling to america after a world cup - no surprises then.

We need 7 days rest big time....lets hope we gell quickly.........

3 points is the bonus.

Don't think it's anything to do with exhaustion - a lot of these lads hadn't come back til later, and it takes a weeks training and some match time under our belts to go through the gears. The more games, the better we'll become.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #623: Aug 18, 2014 04:22:01 am
      I only saw part of the second half  :f_steam:

Happy to get 3 pts similar in the way I was happy with our Stoke win last season - maybe the commonality between the two is relief but less so this year.

From second half viewing, we played a team who under those circumstances made pre-season look like a virtual kick about - although the Citeh game was a blinder.

From what I saw, Southampton were pretty equal to us and when they scored after that they started to dominate things a little. As they did this we seemed to retreat territoriality and when we have Gerrard and Lucas in midfield that is often the case as the midfield drop. But we didn't seem to have an outlet and at times tried to play on the counter to no avail. Oh well, just glad we could see it out.

I remember giving Lucas due credit in pre-season but knew why he had excelled in these games - primarily because they were snailed pace. The British game has well and truly left this lad behind and I can't but help think if he'd have been quicker both mentally and physically he wouldn't have let Clyne? ghost in past him to drive home their goal. The only time his name was mentioned by commentators was when he was giving the ball away but he alone wasn't the reason for a mere satisfactory (second half) performance.

I think our attackers (Sterling, Sturridge & Coutinho) need to realise that counter attacking and doing this often is something that is not always the best way to relieve  sustained pressure from our midfield and defense. Numerous times, Sturridge being the main culprit frittered possession away by either making the wrong choice or holding the ball to long and being dispossessed. I'd like them, from time to time after a period of sustained pressure to be able to hold the ball up more in midfield but the whole team need to push up to - with Lovren in defense I'm hoping he'll squeeze the unit up further instead of sitting deep and inviting pressure. If the attackers merely made a few passes and keep ball the whole team can shift forward and get on the front foot. More often than not, these phases of play are used to explode from the back, go up the other end and score. This is good. But the law of averages says, as yesterday told us, to sometimes forget this and be a little more savvy with the ball, and try a steadier build-up that involves the whole team, and allows them as a complete unit to push up.

I thought Manquillo looked very promising. I want to see more of Lovren but he does look to attack the ball and get round his marker before his marker gets a touch, his passing looked good, in fact physically (look a like) he reminded me of Agger. I thought Skertel from the second half showing looked good, Johnson wasn't really at the game and Henderson was his usual Duracell self.

All in all, thankful for 3 pts, it gives us something positive to build on. I hope midfield (personnel) are re-sorted for Citeh next week. Well done boys, oh and well done Sterling, proper little talent who (after I saw a highlight) took his exceptional placed pass from Henderson well to cooly finish for our first. For us to do well this year, young Raheem will need to carry on like that and have a big impact in most our games, but as of now, he's off to a flyer!

:scarf:
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2014 08:40:55 am by Beerbelly »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #624: Aug 18, 2014 05:08:58 am
      Welcome back to the country mate!

Cheers mate! Good to be back ;D

On the match - standard nervy/rusty/squeaky bum kinda opening match, really. Looked pretty good in patches without hitting top gear, and then absolute trash at other times. The same old same old of the switch off in the second half until we need to play style is a pain in the arse to see still a factor, but we got the points - end of the day, that's all that matters.

Was really impressed with Lovren though, I must say. Looked composed in the back line and already looked to have that general on the last line of defense style of play about him, got stuck in nicely and really helped us out back there. Manquillo was decent as well, both new boys had a real nice debut.

On Glen Johnson...

Moving on.

Sterling did nothing but enhance my belief that he is a bonafide star in the making, already is an absolute ripper and will only get better. The ball from Hendo (look forward to more of that, Jordan!) was an absolute pearler, and got the simple but still beautiful finish it deserved. Looked real composed getting that ball in the back of the net, a sign of the young lads growth. Sturridge was quiet a lot, but in the right spot when needed.

Mids was a little disappointing. Lucas is a great lad and has served us well at times, but just does not seem to work in that set up. Would have preferred Can myself, but we'll see how BR plots the next one out. Coutinho up with the front two really wasn't the factor he needed to be, hopefully see much more out of him as we move forward.

Overall, not the greatest of matches. Opening day against tricky opposition though, getting all three points is never an easy task (looking at you, manc tw*ts) so to come away with all three is all that matters. Pleased, but definitely looking for more as we move forward. Done and dusted, bring on City.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #625: Aug 18, 2014 05:50:04 am
      We won this game mostly because of Mignolet and our defense soaked up pressure.
      Not good for the old nerves but some beautiful long passes and Maquillo looked awesome (don't use that word often)
      Nervy game but we got the result... well done to the team.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #626: Aug 18, 2014 08:30:42 am
      Felt exhausted by the time I got home from the game last night so didn't get a chance to come on. I thought overall, the first half we played well without creating a lot. Mignolet kept us in the game with the save from Long and seemed to benefit from the organisation of Lovren. Defense looked solid enough, Manquillo looked nervous at the start but eased in to the game after a while. Lovren was an absolute beast and I love him already. Heard him shouting at Johnson "get the F**k out!". Midfield played decent, I thought Lucas was pretty solid in first half but eased off in second half. Looked tired and Wanayama overpowered him and Gerrard. Hendo was fantastic, contender for MOTM and his work-rate and pass for the goal was out of this world. Phillipe was quiet enough but effective when he needed to be, showing some touches and getting up to support Raheem and Danny. Raheem was great in the first half but I thought he faded in the second. Gave the ball a few times, on one very frustrating occasion when we were chasing the game as well. Danny wasn't great if I am honest but he took his chance and that's all I can ask for. I thought he should have had a penalty as well, MOTD didn't show it, only in the analysis but didn't draw attention to it.

One thing I saw and heard that I didn't like was the abuse directed to Mignolet and Johnson from certain parts of the Kop. Certainly the people around me went crazy every time Johnson touched the ball, calling him all sorts of names which is just uncalled for. I am by no-means a big fan of Glen and I actually he was the main reason we conceded, not taking his poisition up on time, but no way did he merit that abuse. Also, a keeper's confidence is one that needs to be solid and if he is hearing things from the crowd, that can't help.

Overall, we were okay. I think MOTD and what I have read on Twitter and on here has been blown out of proportion. I think we were a lot better than what we got credit for. We are only going to improve so chin up lads, good result.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #627: Aug 18, 2014 08:34:43 am
      One thing I saw and heard that I didn't like was the abuse directed to Mignolet and Johnson from certain parts of the Kop

I was in the Main Stand Semp and the moaning and groaning was just as bad in there, with some even getting on the back of Manquillo!

Shocking.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #628: Aug 18, 2014 08:46:34 am
      I was in the Main Stand Semp and the moaning and groaning was just as bad in there, with some even getting on the back of Manquillo!

Shocking.

Jesus wept.  :(

Sounds as though half of LFCREDS.com were in the stands.  ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #629: Aug 18, 2014 08:56:25 am

Shocking.

Personifies the 'day tripper' description
      Years ago the standing Kop was a fearsome beast and not an experience for the faint hearted with the ear splitting noise, pushing and shoving, industrial and unemployed language to say nothing of the occasional pocket full of piss.
      With the park your arse faculties the footy tourist pays his dosh and wanders off to find a suitable seating area, they are none descript and if security wasn't as good as it is he or she could end up sitting in the directors box.
      Some do end up at the Kop end - put their device on record and sit back waiting for the world famous Anfield atmosphere, the sound of all the recording equipment is probably the nearest they're gonna get to spontaneity.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #630: Aug 18, 2014 08:58:09 am
      Years ago the standing Kop was a fearsome beast and not an experience for the faint hearted with the ear splitting noise, pushing and shoving, industrial and unemployed language to say nothing of the occasional pocket full of piss.
      With the park your arse faculties the footy tourist pays his dosh and wanders off to find a suitable seating area, they are none descript and if security wasn't as good as it is he or she could end up sitting in the directors box.
      Some do end up at the Kop end and sit back put their device on record and sit back waiting for the world famous Anfield atmosphere, the sound of all the recording equipment is probably the nearest they're gonna get to spontaneous.

See my rant in the atmosphere thread stuey...just makes me so angry.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #631: Aug 18, 2014 09:02:10 am
      See my rant in the atmosphere thread stuey...just makes me so angry.

Read it mate and it prompted me to comment.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #632: Aug 18, 2014 09:06:54 am
      Very lucky to get the win.

Johnson & Lucas were awful.

Lovren looked good as did Manquillo but both him and GJ offered nothing going forward.

Lacked ideas in the final third as well.

Happy with the 3 points but need to improve. Allen or Can to come in for Lucas.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #633: Aug 18, 2014 09:22:47 am
      Very lucky to get the win.

Johnson & Lucas were awful.

Lovren looked good as did Manquillo but both him and GJ offered nothing going forward.

Lacked ideas in the final third as well.

Happy with the 3 points but need to improve. Allen or Can to come in for Lucas.

The lack of any tangible threat gave Southampton the license to get forward en masse swamp the midfield thereby smothering any creativity.
      Instead of being harassed they were allowed to put their stamp on the game.
      Don't suppose JWH could even be arsed watching it on the TV so he will be getting a 3rd hand summary with the lack of urgency and passion.
      No doubt his reply to the report would be 'gid jarb, they won'.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #634: Aug 18, 2014 09:52:33 am
      No disrespect to BR but hopefully that's the last time we see Stevie and Lucas play together, just get overrun, any team with legs in the middle will have a field day like we saw last season.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #635: Aug 18, 2014 10:01:37 am
      It was not a good performance, we all know that.

Positives.

Lovren looked solid, looks like an excellent signing.
      Our forwards are still firing. We barely created half a dozen chances, but toook enough.
      We won, not playing well. We kept going until the end and showed character, and that's important.
      Mignolet was excellent, saved us 2 points.
      Henderson was all over the pitch, I wish others were as hard working.

Negatives

GJ was absolutely piss poor. It doesn't appear to be a form issue, he's looked disinterested and lathargic for a while.
      We didn't keep the ball in the middle of park. with Sterling, Couts and Stevie, I would have expected a more fluid passing game, but did not materialise. S'ton actually passed the ball around better than us.
      We didn't press enough. They were snapping at our heels in every corner of the pitch but we let them have too much space - in the middle and final third especially. That's where Lucas and Stevie failed to provide adequate cover for the defence. Not a new issue, so I'm surprised it hasn't been addressed yet. A better team would have beat us, simple as that.
      We need another top striker to play alongside Studge. When Lambert came on, the team looked a lot more threatening and balanced. He's not a starter for me, so we need to sign someone up along with Danny. This game has made it even more obvious for me actually.

Having said all that, first game of the season is not an indication of general outlook on the team. We have a few new faces and we'll need a bit of time to hit the ground running. Also, we have Llalana to return, who will help the issue of keeping the ball better in the middle. We also have Can to come in for Lucas and he will do a better job of defensive midfield than Lucas. He's more physical and athletic. Lucas hasn't played regularly and it shows. Once Flanno and Moreno are back in, we will address the frailties in defence as well.

So in short, we won not having played well with some key players missing, so I'm very happy and proud of the team. There are a lot of positives to look forward to.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #636: Aug 18, 2014 10:18:28 am
      Wasn't a good game at all, but 3 points is 3 points and I expect us to get much much better, hopefully starting with City a week today! A new striker would be very good as well and please for love of God can we stop playing Lucas and Johnson unless we absolutely have to.

All the top teams have looked rusty though and that is fairly standard in the first game of the season. The big positive is that we have a lot more to give but still won against a surprisingly good Southampton side.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #637: Aug 18, 2014 10:55:48 am
      All the top teams have looked rusty though and that is fairly standard in the first game of the season

agreed, apart from city. that team is full of beasts. toure, kompany, kolarov, fernando, dzeko...all man-mountains. we need some physical presence in the midfield next week. hendo and can alongside Stevie i reckon.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #638: Aug 18, 2014 11:08:05 am
      Some do end up at the Kop end - put their device on record and sit back waiting for the world famous Anfield atmosphere, the sound of all the recording equipment is probably the nearest they're gonna get to spontaneity.

Its to be expected when people just turn up 5 mins from kick off sit back and expect to be entertained.
      I would make the fuckers  take their seats at least 30 mins before kick off. This would allow the atmosphere to build as it used to.
      Its a different world, the average Kopite today is probably from a completely different background than that of the hayday.F**k me if you happen to swear these days you get some filthy looks.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #639: Aug 18, 2014 12:59:44 pm
      3 points is all that matters when all is said and done. But i expect more in the next match, we cant possibly play like that against the other title contenders and get away with it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #640: Aug 18, 2014 02:01:08 pm
      We didn't play great at the start of last season either.
      I expect us to get better as players get to 100% fitness.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #641: Aug 18, 2014 02:53:30 pm
      So the demise of Southampton was a little bit over-exaggerated, thought they played very well in the second half - Koeman had them set up well.

First half thought we played very well, had we got a second, I think we'd have gone on and got a couple more second half, instead we came out 2nd half and went back to how we were at times last season, sitting back, which allowed them to get back into the game.

Overall thought Henderson, Lovren, Manquillo and Sterling did very well. Mignolet still needs to work on coming for the ball from crosses, one very poor part of his game, plus I can't wait for Moreno to start as Johnson is really starting to get on my tits.

Was very impressed with James Ward-Prowse for Southampton yesterday, I thought he played very well for them.
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #642: Aug 18, 2014 03:27:55 pm
      I suppose it's a real sign of the quality we now have in the squad that despite a piss poor performance we still effectively had 4 players on the pitch as the potential MoM (Hendo, Raheem, Lovren and Migs).

Quite happy for that to continue :)
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,543 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #643: Aug 18, 2014 06:02:58 pm
      Watched the game yest, and we got out of jail. Could easily have lost, but got the 3 points. So from that point of view, great result on the opening day :)
      Coutinho had a mare, was surprised he wasn't taken off before he was. Lucas and SG don't work together anymore, not enough pace between them, Allen was an improvement when he came on.
      Thought Skyrtel did well, and Lovren did well too considering it was hit first PL game at home, though thought his distribution wasn't great at times. Manquillo did OK, Jonno just seems a yard short sometimes.
      Sterling was MOTM, never hid, Studge was quiet enough, but hugely important goal. BR made the right changes, and we got the 2nd goal to win it.
      At one stage, at 1-1, I was thinking if you give me a point now, would take it - we were looking a bit ragged. So, excellent to come away with all 3 points, we will improve, more new players will come in - we need more striking options, but have been saying that for weeks now and something will happen there.
      Main thing, 3 points in the bag on an opening weekend when some of the other contenders also struggled a bit.

Quick Reply