Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

22 Mignolet
      21 (12.4%)
      19 Manquillo
      2 (1.2%)
      02 Johnson
      2 (1.2%)
      37 Skrtel
      4 (2.4%)
      06 Lovren
      24 (14.1%)
      31 Sterling
      80 (47.1%)
      08 Gerrard
      1 (0.6%)
      21 Lucas*
      0 (0%)
      14 Henderson
      32 (18.8%)
      10 Coutinho**
      0 (0%)
      15 Sturridge
      2 (1.2%)
      24 Allen -Sub  63'*
      2 (1.2%)
      09 Lambert -Sub 76'**
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 167

Liverpool 2:1 Southampton. In game and post match relief.

Read 29650 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Liverpool 2:1 Southampton. In game and post match relief.
      Reply #644: Aug 18, 2014 09:17:51 pm
      I thought our passing generally was too predictive and at times far too slow. The main thing was we got 3 points and if we won every match 2-1 in the season there would be no complaints when we are crowned league champions. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,280 posts | 1513 
      Reply #645: Aug 18, 2014 09:45:20 pm
      I suppose it's a real sign of the quality we now have in the squad that despite a piss poor performance we still effectively had 4 players on the pitch as the potential MoM (Hendo, Raheem, Lovren and Migs).

Quality in the squad alright. So why were we starting with Johnson and Lucas, neither of who, have shown any decent form for a while. In fact Johnson for over a year.
      Do you think he would have continually been selected by Paisley playing like he has ?
      I know the answer before you reply! He'd have been out of the club by now.
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #646: Aug 18, 2014 09:52:47 pm

Quality in the squad alright. So why were we starting with Johnson and Lucas, neither of who, have shown any decent form for a while. In fact Johnson for over a year.
      Do you think he would have continually been selected by Paisley playing like he has ?
      I know the answer before you reply! He'd have been out of the club by now.

A squad of quality players can still have a weak link. You've taken my point and twisted it there. I was trying to make a positive comment and you've taken it and used an irrelevant point to focus on a negative aspect. Why?
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #647: Aug 18, 2014 10:02:57 pm
      When BR has Lucas and Stevie in the same team, get overrun in midfield is what we can come to expect. Lucas was static when the Soton player waltzed pass him to score is a clear sign of us not having the speed and muscle to neutralise such attacking threat. Let's be honest, Stevie don't have the legs and muscle to patrol the line in front of the back four and I've been asking all along and I'm asking again, where is that burly DM ala Masch???

That being the case wouldn't it be more useful to deploy Stevie further up the pitch, somewhere near the centre circle to unleash the pin-point passes to the front line which makes him more useful instead of asking him to defend the back four that he can't. That's the very reason why Soton was so bold to bring their troops almost to the edge of our box simply because knowing very well Stevie sitting so deep inside our half there's no one that can really hurt them in midfield.

Most of Soton's attack is down GJ side, a slow Lucas and Stevie plus a disinterested and overated GJ makes it a perfect recipe for Soton to exploit and Koeman saw that very early and I hope BR realise that as well and in the end we nearly paid for it if not for Mignolet saves. If BR starts Stevie and Lucas in the game againt Man City, ready to get mauled. How many crosses from GJ side I have lost count, so much space and time given to Soton is criminal.

BR, please get a DM in soon and push Stevie further up the pitch in the next game and please no more Lucas and GJ in the same line-up.
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2014 10:14:36 pm by redkop63 »
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,891 posts | 815 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #648: Aug 18, 2014 10:07:50 pm
      BR, please get a DM in soon and push Stevie further up the pitch in the next game and please no more Lucas and GJ in the same line-up.

Who would you dislodge from the current midfield for Gerrard to play higher up?

To get into the starting 11 i honestly think Gerrard has to play his deep lying role but for me alone.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #649: Aug 18, 2014 10:12:33 pm
      Who would you dislodge from the current midfield for Gerrard to play higher up?

To get into the starting 11 i honestly think Gerrard has to play his deep lying role but for me alone.

Switch with Hendo. Hendo has the legs to do the job until we get a proper DM in.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #650: Aug 18, 2014 11:16:41 pm
      So the demise of Southampton was a little bit over-exaggerated, thought they played very well in the second half - Koeman had them set up well.

First half thought we played very well, had we got a second, I think we'd have gone on and got a couple more second half, instead we came out 2nd half and went back to how we were at times last season, sitting back, which allowed them to get back into the game.

Overall thought Henderson, Lovren, Manquillo and Sterling did very well. Mignolet still needs to work on coming for the ball from crosses, one very poor part of his game, plus I can't wait for Moreno to start as Johnson is really starting to get on my tits.

Was very impressed with James Ward-Prowse for Southampton yesterday, I thought he played very well for them.

Agree with Ward-Prowse. He'll be sold very soon to a bigger club if he continues to develop.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,891 posts | 815 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #651: Aug 18, 2014 11:25:33 pm
      Switch with Hendo. Hendo has the legs to do the job until we get a proper DM in.

I am saying once a DM comes in, who would you dislodge higher up top for Gerrard.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #652: Aug 18, 2014 11:25:42 pm
      Agree with Ward-Prowse. He'll be sold very soon to a bigger club if he continues to develop.

Us? :laugh:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #653: Aug 19, 2014 12:28:43 am

Because Can had a slight injury and Moreno was only just signed.
      Chill the F**k out.

Nah. Schneiderlin please.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #654: Aug 19, 2014 01:06:05 pm
      I was wondering if any of you caught Carra and Neville's analysis on our game at the weekend?

More specifically on the goal we conceded. Now let me say this before I touch on what Carra highlighted, Skrtel has his strengths but I feel his little lapses don't get highlighted as much as other players. Mainly because they are quite subtle ones and it's only when the plays really broken down, it becomes apparent.

For the members that didn't catch the game, it pinpointed Martin standing still watching the play evolve, as the rest of the defence moved over towards the play he was rooted ball watching. As Lovren did so it opened a massive hole between our two centre backs. For people who know the game, I can't state strongly enough how poor this is for any central defender, let alone someone playing at such a top level.

Skrtel's reaction came way way too late, leading to him having to throw himself in vain to block Clyne's shot.

This is a recurred thing, it got brought up last year again on MNF by Carra. His insight into Skrtel, was simply the lad doesn't see dangers like this and can only react to them. This is a really poor trait to have for a defender and one that will continue to bit us on the arse if it's not eradicated.

My question to fellow forum members is, do we stick with Skrtel and accept his flaws, or do we look to one of our other centre backs to come in alongside Lovren. Lovren for me is the complete centre back and this opinion is not based on his time here, but from admiring him for a good few seasons now. We really need to cement our best pairing at the back for me, it's vital to improve our defensive record so what's the best way forward.

Me personally, and I know people will point to both players preferring to play on the left of the two, would be to nail down Lovren and Sakho as our starting pairing.

Thought please lads.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #655: Aug 19, 2014 01:16:38 pm
      He always backs and backs off. He is not going to change. I think Rodgers stick with him because he is a monster in the air and can score goals too. In time Sakho and Lovren will be our defensive pairing. If Sakho can play ahead of Koscielny and Mangala for France then I am surprised he doesn't play ahead of Skrtel although Martin had a impressive season last year ...
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #656: Aug 19, 2014 01:21:25 pm
      What you have highlighted is what the Skrtel detractors have noticed for ever with him. I don't think it is something he can be coached out of, he has many attributes but reading the game is not one of them.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #657: Aug 19, 2014 01:24:16 pm
      He always backs and backs off. He is not going to change. I think Rodgers stick with him because he is a monster in the air and can score goals too. In time Sakho and Lovren will be our defensive pairing. If Sakho can play ahead of Koscielny and Mangala for France then I am surprised he doesn't play ahead of Skrtel although Martin had a impressive season last year ...
      I agree with you to a point, but don't you think Sakho has the strengths you've highlighted of Martin's? Monster in the air and can score goals I'd say Sakho ticks both these boxes. Yes Martin has a better goals to game ratio, but he's probably played nearly double the amount of first team career appearances of Sakho. It would possibly be harsh to drop him, but can we afford not to long term?
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #658: Aug 19, 2014 01:29:54 pm
      The other slight problem is that Lovren prefers LCB despite being right footed. It means Skrtel a more straightforward fit
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #659: Aug 19, 2014 01:41:07 pm
      I was wondering if any of you caught Carra and Neville's analysis on our game at the weekend?

More specifically on the goal we conceded. Now let me say this before I touch on what Carra highlighted, Skrtel has his strengths but I feel his little lapses don't get highlighted as much as other players. Mainly because they are quite subtle ones and it's only when the plays really broken down, it becomes apparent.

For the members that didn't catch the game, it pinpointed Martin standing still watching the play evolve, as the rest of the defence moved over towards the play he was rooted ball watching. As Lovren did so it opened a massive hole between our two centre backs. For people who know the game, I can't state strongly enough how poor this is for any central defender, let alone someone playing at such a top level.

Skrtel's reaction came way way too late, leading to him having to throw himself in vain to block Clyne's shot.

This is a recurred thing, it got brought up last year again on MNF by Carra. His insight into Skrtel, was simply the lad doesn't see dangers like this and can only react to them. This is a really poor trait to have for a defender and one that will continue to bit us on the arse if it's not eradicated.

My question to fellow forum members is, do we stick with Skrtel and accept his flaws, or do we look to one of our other centre backs to come in alongside Lovren. Lovren for me is the complete centre back and this opinion is not based on his time here, but from admiring him for a good few seasons now. We really need to cement our best pairing at the back for me, it's vital to improve our defensive record so what's the best way forward.

Me personally, and I know people will point to both players preferring to play on the left of the two, would be to nail down Lovren and Sakho as our starting pairing.

Thought please lads.

Good post. Didn't see MNF. But just watched the goal again and you are right about Skertel not shifting over and merely ball watching. Initially, I (and still do to an extent) thought Lucas was the one who was caught ball watching, instead of tracking his runner beyond Lovren. But as you say Skertel also was culpable for what you said. Looking at it again Skertel, Johnson and Lucas were all all caught ball watching, neither watched the runner but ultimately the player was oncoming in Skertel's direction which meant he had the better view to pull across quicker.

Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #660: Aug 19, 2014 01:44:21 pm
      Good post. Didn't see MNF. But just watched the goal again and you are right about Skertel not shifting over and merely ball watching. Initially (and still do to an extent) thought Lucas was the one who was caught ball watching, instead of tracking his runner beyond Lovren. But as you say Skertel also was culpable for what you said. Looking at it again Skertel, Johnson and Lucas were all all caught ball watching, neither watched their man but ultimately the player was oncoming in Skertel's direction which meant he had the better view to pull across quicker.

Yes exactly mate, Skrtel had the picture infront of him. He could see everything runners, the player on the ball and could see right across the defensive line.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #661: Aug 19, 2014 02:21:22 pm
      Skrtel has always played this way. Just look at his interception rate compared to world class centre backs. It's really underwhelming, and it is a good indication of his inability to read the game.

Martin relies on being a physical presence and a brave one. He's a courageous player, just one who tactically is not that sound. I have not seen much of Sakho, but I have witnessed him getting caught out at times.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4893 
      Reply #662: Aug 19, 2014 02:23:05 pm
      Skrtel has his strengths but I feel his little lapses don't get highlighted as much as other players.

I disagree here and think Skrtel's lapses get highlighted much more than most players especially among our own fan base.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #663: Aug 19, 2014 02:33:17 pm
      Here it is for those that haven't seen it:

MNF - Liverpool vs Southampton Analysis
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #664: Aug 19, 2014 02:55:51 pm
      I disagree here and think Skrtel's lapses get highlighted much more than most players especially among our own fan base.
      Have to agree to disagree here mate.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8514 
      Reply #665: Aug 19, 2014 05:27:55 pm
      Couldn't this have gone in the match thread?

Oh yeah and blame Skrtel all you want, remind me again what that lazy c**t Johnson is standing around and watching again, could of easily closed the space down on Clyne.

Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #666: Aug 19, 2014 05:35:58 pm
      Skrtel has and will be the scapegoat for us. I understand this goal was a mistake on his part. But nobody seems to be pointing out any other flaws other LFC players have done. Still think he is a quality CB.

Quick Reply