Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC's Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      1 (0.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      12 (10.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      5 (4.4%)
      Martin Skrtel
      3 (2.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      9 (8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (5.3%)
      Joe Allen
      23 (20.4%)
      Raheem Sterling
      22 (19.5%)
      Phillipe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      4 (3.5%)
      Lazar Markovic
      15 (13.3%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.9%)
      Rickie Lambert
      12 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: Aug 30, 2014 10:33:56 pm

Man City 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debates

Read 39386 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: Man City 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debates
      Reply #690: Aug 25, 2014 11:39:16 pm
      Their clinical finishing is the main difference tonight,

If we had Jovetic, Aguero and Dzeko we probably would have had a couple of goals before the 41st minute.

We are so used to our shock and awe first half performances that we don't know what to do a) when we go behind and b) in second halves.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #691: Aug 25, 2014 11:48:58 pm
      If we had Jovetic, Aguero and Dzeko we probably would have had a couple of goals before the 41st minute.

We are so used to our shock and awe first half performances that we don't know what to do a) when we go behind and b) in second halves.

We had a similar problem at the start of last season.
      High pressure game early on. Then when players tired we got overrun.
      Then when we got into our stride in the second half of the season we were a F***ing juggernaut.
      Hopefully when the team settles down a similar theme develops.
      Be frustrating as hell if this happens every season though.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #692: Aug 25, 2014 11:54:05 pm
      I dunno, it takes us a while for us to get up and running. We won three from three last season, but they were very cagey games.

Likewise, we've been cagey at the start again with phases of dominance, and phases of incompetence. I suppose when two teams who aren't quite up and running on a performance level - as was the case with tonight - the importance on quality is more important than tactics. I thought City had that today - quality got them through in the end, but if this was later on in the season when our training regimes and the drilling and learning process are instilled into the players, then I believe it would have been a much closer game.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #693: Aug 25, 2014 11:59:06 pm
      Still early doors, plenty of time to make up the ground back but Spurs away up next.. Tricky tie, yet a win would have us back on track.

The club needs to get over last season though... Its gone and we have to go again.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #694: Aug 26, 2014 12:05:11 am
      I missed the 2nd half, did Markovic come on and if so how was he?
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #695: Aug 26, 2014 12:09:22 am
      From all of this, what I feel is that we need to start matches with 2 strikers. Really don't like this 4-3-3 that we are using.

Agains Spurs, I'd use: Mignolet; Manquillo, Skertel, Lovren and Moreno; Gerrard, Hendo/Cam; Sterling, Coutinho/Markovic; Stu and Balotelli(Lambert).

As some of us said, the team plays better with another striker and that is what we need to use. Can't keep Sturridge playing between defenders and away from the game. Our goal today showed why he needs to be more involved.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #696: Aug 26, 2014 12:10:32 am

As soon as he came on (with 25 minutes or so left I think, quite tired so might be wrong) he had an impact, showed real pace on the ball and linked up strongly with Moreno.

Very quick and direct, will fit in well. Would have him starting ahead of Coutinho next week as we need that raw pace away from home to catch Spurs out on the counter.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #697: Aug 26, 2014 12:10:58 am

Immediate impact, Studge should have scored off great work by him straight away. Then right after that had another great interchange with Moreno and provided real threat. We went down to 10 men not that long after that and obviously our overall threat as a team dropped. Don't think he lost possession once and was happy to carry the ball.

Perhaps if we'd scored one of the 2 chances he created we would have got right back in the game, but we'll never know now.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #698: Aug 26, 2014 12:16:53 am
      As soon as he came on (with 25 minutes or so left I think, quite tired so might be wrong) he had an impact, showed real pace on the ball and linked up strongly with Moreno.

Very quick and direct, will fit in well. Would have him starting ahead of Coutinho next week as we need that raw pace away from home to catch Spurs out on the counter.

Immediate impact, Studge should have scored off great work by him straight away. Then right after that had another great interchange with Moreno and provided real threat. We went down to 10 men not that long after that and obviously our overall threat as a team dropped. Don't think he lost possession once and was happy to carry the ball.

Perhaps if we'd scored one of the 2 chances he created we would have got right back in the game, but we'll never know now.

Thanks guys!
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,941 posts | 285 
      Reply #699: Aug 26, 2014 12:20:09 am
      Poor show overall.
      Dominated play in the first half, missing that killer edge. We got punished for switching off at the back, again. I'd like to see Sakho-Skrtel BR pairing next game. Will be a few weeks to settle with so many new faces.

Pros:
      + Moreno will be a talent, got a few balls in the box and pushed forward.
      + Allen did (alright) even though I wrote him off before the game. I still don't think he fits.
      + Markovic looks like will provide options.
      + Lallana should be in for a shout next game.
      + Sterling still our greatest weapon at the moment.
      + Lambert changed the game.

Cons:
      - Brendan took an age to change things when we'd just gone 2-0 down.
      - Johnson needs to go, FAST.
      - Lovren hasn't been quite as "solid" in 2 games as everyones making out.
      - Moreno fell asleep for the first.
      - The whole back 4 fell asleep for the 3rd.
      - Stevie disappeared in the second half.
      - Can should have come on earlier.
      - Coutinho's been off the pace.
      - Studge needs to play off someone.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #700: Aug 26, 2014 12:25:03 am
      Scoreline probably does not do us much justice. That is not to say that we deserved to get anything out of the game. City were more clinical on the night and our inabillity to create space and hold the ball up in the final third proved to be the difference. Sturridge proved to me why he is better as the sidekick and not the main striker his presence and general movement to create channels was non existent add to that a couple of unessecary flicks and general lack of awareness and you get a bad day at the office. Henderson had an absolute mare, as did Coutinho who clearly is more comofortable playing in the hole then out wide on the left. Allen was impressive in the first half but completely faded in the second. Looking at our goals and how they came about in hindsight we should have started with 2 DM's one alongside Gerrard as our midfield was caught short for both of the first goals.

I thought Mignolet could have and should have done better for the 2nd and 3rd and as much as I dislike to wish ill upon anyone I hope Johnson's stint on the sidelines is prolonged. He was absolutely awful and if Brendan can't see that by now he is in the wrong line of work. Looking back at the injury and the "run" leading up to it there was no extreme change of pace, no extension of either legs or muscle looked like the lad had enough and wanted an early cuppa. Can't be bothered checking the stats now but I think Johnson is good for at least one 6-8 week  injury stint a season since he has been here.

Give young Manquilo and Flanagan a run here and an opportunity for one of them to make the position their own.

Overall gutted with that result it will definetly put emphasis and more pressure on the Tottenham game now.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #701: Aug 26, 2014 12:29:50 am

It's not the loss, it's the manner in which we lost. We conceded all sorts of goals last season because apparently our defensive was good enough, so we go out and spend a fortune on the defence this Summer, only to repeat the same mistakes all over again. We simply cannot carry on making individual errors and expect to compete for titles. It needs sorting out before we go any further in to the season otherwise opposing teams will know, apply a little pressure to LFC's defence and it'll crack.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #702: Aug 26, 2014 12:32:00 am
      Looking back at the injury and the "run" leading up to it there was no extreme change of pace, no extension of either legs or muscle looked like the lad had enough and wanted an early cuppa.

My exact thoughts at the time. I thought he couldn't be arsed running back, will be very interesting how long he unavailable for selection.

Not sure on Enrique's fitness but I'm more than happy for Manquillo to come in.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,143 posts | 3383 
      Reply #703: Aug 26, 2014 12:38:29 am
      Beat Spurs and we could be top of the League.

What a sh*t start to the season we've had.
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #704: Aug 26, 2014 12:47:22 am
      I liked the way we played until the first goal, altough we were missing better offensive plays. The first gol came out of a bad mistake by Moreno and, after that, the team lost it completely. But we were playing a good game until this momento.

Right after the match we feel like it was a complete doom, but I saw good things and terrible things. And these 2 matches showed us in wich direction we need to go to be champions. BR will learn from this and build a team as good(or better) than last season. It is too early to feel that we are ruined.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #705: Aug 26, 2014 12:50:12 am
      We've just lost away to the current champions !!.. let that be a lesson.. and a benchmark for us to move forward...

I thought we had them on the ropes but just lacked that finishing touch to some of our swift moves in the first half..

Second half we came out and played the same way but they sussed us out big time...and before I knew it we we're 3-0 down...

Allen was alright.. just alright.. Gerrard went missing in the second half...Henderson had a F***ing nightmare and I just don't understand Glen Johnson at all....sorry !

and

We lacked "Bite" up front !!

Get F***ing Mario in for Tottenham.. Its a no brainer !!
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #706: Aug 26, 2014 12:51:05 am
      Watched the match. My toughts are all scrambled up. Dont think we deserved a 2 goal difference, but cant argue with the result. We lacked firepower up front, and our passing was not as vertical as in other matches. Our defending was below average, and amateur mistakes cost us.
      Still, its just the start of the season, and plenty of time to correct them.

Moreno MOTM for me, had our forwards understood him better we could have seen a different outcome. On the other hand he lacked confidence to take a shot wwhen he should have.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #707: Aug 26, 2014 12:59:10 am
      Watched the match. My toughts are all scrambled up. Dont think we deserved a 2 goal difference, but cant argue with the result. We lacked firepower up front, and our passing was not as vertical as in other matches. Our defending was below average, and amateur mistakes cost us.
      Still, its just the start of the season, and plenty of time to correct them.

Moreno MOTM for me, had our forwards understood him better we could have seen a different outcome. On the other hand he lacked confidence to take a shot wwhen he should have.

I agree poor defending the difference. I think we are going to be discussing the defensive side of our midfield for a little while yet. CB can look like they are defending poorly (sometimes they are) but they can be pulled out of position by by their own players as easily as by the opposition. I really think who is DM is going to be an issue. Having said that it was City and they were at home.
      condenado
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #708: Aug 26, 2014 01:08:04 am
      Every time time that Johnson took the ball, our attack had been ended...ok i reliaze that has more expiriance than Manqui, but hasn't quality....But I think it was better to injury in 68th minute that we have done all our subs to play with 10 officialy

Can I think it was better to had started the match, the only tough anchor that we have...

Ok I like this model with talented and fast players but we need some quality...The second goal of shitty I think show the difference of quality between two teams...

I liked Markovic.

Coutinho in another big game was bad, also Sterling especially after the 43rd minute

hope for development.... and also hope that with mario will score easier

LUIS MISS U!
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #709: Aug 26, 2014 01:52:46 am
      Rickie Lambert for MOTM

We lost because we didn't take our chances and then we got caught napping.

I think Rickie should partner with Sturridge. He impacts game positively.

Larzar Markovich, Emre Can, Alberto Moreno & Lovren? All brilliant buys.

We will bounce back with a vengeance lads.

djb447
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      • I always tell the truth, even when I lie
      Reply #710: Aug 26, 2014 02:24:58 am
      We need 2 strikers up front. Against Spurs, I would like us to use 4-1-3-2
                                  Mignolet
         Manquillo    Skrtel   Lovren   Moreno
                                   Gerrard
        Sterling            Coutinho        Markovic
                        Balotelli    Sturridge

Coutinho thrives in the middle, So we can't play him like we did vs city. We need to get an actual defensive midfielder like khedira
      djb447
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      • I always tell the truth, even when I lie
      Reply #711: Aug 26, 2014 02:32:11 am
      One day, the Arabian oil reserves will dry up, and so will man city. They are not even a real club to me, just a rich sheik's part time hobby.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #712: Aug 26, 2014 02:46:22 am
      Think this fixture simply came a week too early. Would have loved us to play Spurs this weekend and then City the next. Fancy we could have gotten points. Then again, if you want to be champions, then you need to be able to go to a place like City without your full squad and get points.

I don't think we particularly played poorly besides that first goal. Moreno caught ball watching juuuuust a tad bit. We were excellent in pockets, but we just didn't have that cutting edge tonight (missed a player like Suarez, maybe?). City did have that cutting edge and they were clinical in front of goal. They deserved the three points.

Great to see Markovic come on. That kid is going to be immense!

Quick Reply