Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC's Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      1 (0.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      12 (10.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      5 (4.4%)
      Martin Skrtel
      3 (2.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      9 (8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (5.3%)
      Joe Allen
      23 (20.4%)
      Raheem Sterling
      22 (19.5%)
      Phillipe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      4 (3.5%)
      Lazar Markovic
      15 (13.3%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.9%)
      Rickie Lambert
      12 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: Aug 30, 2014 10:33:56 pm

Man City 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debates

Read 38181 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Man City 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debates
      Reply #828: Aug 27, 2014 11:48:30 pm
      I wouldn't say that should be the case at all. Zidane was still showing everyone how it's done as he was nearing the end of his career (headbutt aside obviously).

Also why are you slating Hendo when he was one of our best players last season and battled very well to win and keep the ball against Saints and provide a quality assist from just inside our own half?
      How am i slating him , by saying Gerrard makes him look Mediocre ? I'm of the opinion that we need to be doing better than Hendo and Allen if we're to push on .

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #829: Aug 27, 2014 11:55:04 pm
      How am i slating him , by saying Gerrard makes him look Mediocre ? I'm of the opinion that we need to be doing better than Hendo and Allen if we're to push on .

Might be true on both players but we have pushed on as far as we can this year, as Saint pointed out in a different thread we have the numbers now in the future it will need to be quality replacements.

IMO and as Brendan pointed out end of last season I think we lost the league because Hendo was suspended, I think he is the backbone of this squad and will be Captain of Liverpool FC in a few years.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #830: Aug 27, 2014 11:55:29 pm

How can you be calling him mediocre? Based on what, a quiet game against City?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #831: Aug 28, 2014 12:02:50 am
      I think he is the backbone of this squad and will be Captain of Liverpool FC in a few years.
      I remember the same things been said about Lucas not so long ago .

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #832: Aug 28, 2014 12:07:00 am
      I remember the same things been said about Lucas not so long ago .

Well hopefully Hendo does not have near career ending surgery followed up by another injury that would basically sideline him for 2 years, because that type of thing would derail any athletes career.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #833: Aug 28, 2014 12:12:22 am
      How can you be calling him mediocre? Based on what, a quiet game against City?
      Do you believe he will be as good as Gerrard ? I don't think he will , he doesn't score enough .

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #834: Aug 28, 2014 12:20:51 am
      Do you believe he will be as good as Gerrard ? I don't think he will , he doesn't score enough .

I never said he would be as good as Gerrard but then few midfielders in that position ever will be. But I do hope you are comparing it to the Gerrard of that age and not now because Gerrard only ever scores now really by penalties and the odd freekick.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #835: Aug 28, 2014 09:59:18 am

Gerrard had license to do what he wanted where he wanted and to good effect.
      ineedfootball
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #836: Aug 28, 2014 10:36:02 am
      Only the second round, plenty more to play for this season. Plus i dont think the scoreline reflect the reality on the field.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #837: Aug 28, 2014 04:39:42 pm
      Do you believe he will be as good as Gerrard ? I don't think he will , he doesn't score enough

Different types of players, and Gerrard is a once in a generation player. Not many will compare to him. Just like Suarez. However, I do think Hendo can be our future captain (between him and Lovren imo).

I think it's shortsighted to want every player in their respective positions to compare with the best we've had in that position. People seem to want to replace Suarez with someone as good, and Stevie with someone as good. Nothing wrong with that, but you forget that we made those players world class rather than buying them. And I believe we have the potential to do that with Sterling, Moreno, Coutinho and possibly Hendo.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #838: Aug 28, 2014 09:20:53 pm
      Different types of players, and Gerrard is a once in a generation player. Not many will compare to him. Just like Suarez. However, I do think Hendo can be our future captain (between him and Lovren imo).

I think it's shortsighted to want every player in their respective positions to compare with the best we've had in that position. People seem to want to replace Suarez with someone as good, and Stevie with someone as good. Nothing wrong with that, but you forget that we made those players world class rather than buying them. And I believe we have the potential to do that with Sterling, Moreno, Coutinho and possibly Hendo.
      It's all about setting standards and for me we need to use Gerrard as the bar . If we don't we'll always accept mediocrity as standard . Just like when Carra retired we had no one in defence to take up where he left off and it will be the same when Gerrard goes , we have no one single player that can take up  the standards of which Gerrard set .

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #839: Aug 31, 2014 07:21:53 am
      Only the second round, plenty more to play for this season. Plus i dont think the scoreline reflect the reality on the field.

It really, really did.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #840: Aug 31, 2014 07:27:08 am

Well having only been back a few days from holiday I only yesterday had the chance to watch the City game.  I plopped my sunburned arse on the sofa and was shocked by the absolutely dreadful performance from nearly everyone involved.  Could that game possibly have gone any worse?

Some comments I wanted to get off my chest before the Spurs game:

I mentioned this in a post not too long ago and was immediately shot down: the problem in the defense is NOT just a personnel issue.  I think that it has become abundantly clear now that the defence is either not being coached at all, or at the very least not being coached correctly. This was already quite clear last season when Rodgers actually SAID "you can't coach the defense, they just have to make the right decisions."  I mean... does that really make sense?  you can coach midfielders and attackers but you can't turn defenders into better players?  really?

So the solution apparently was to just.... buy "better" defenders.  And just substitute the sh*te ones for the new "better" ones and everything will be okay.  Right?  right???  wrong.  They are still not on the same page, they don't talk to each other, they can't hold a line, I mean how much more obvious could it be that they're not being coached properly??

Ask yourself this: does it truly make sense that players like Agger, Skrtel etc, who were all solid defenders under both Rafa and Kenny, suddenly became poor once Rodgers came in, at random?  does it make sense that our defense suddenly started leaking goals, and it had nothing to do with Rodgers's coaching and/or the lack thereof?  Of course not.  We had a dedicated defensive coach in Steve Clarke.  He left.  And now we have none, and our manager believes defenders "can't be coached." 

Ask yourself one more question: is it truly an issue of just.... buying better players? 

If that's the case, then how is it possible that the bottom feeders and relegation fodder can go away to such big clubs and park the bus and hold the line for 90 minutes plus?  is the back four of the likes of QPR, Hull, Stoke etc, are their defenders just "better" than ours??  of course not!!!  but they're coached the hell out of, to where they are so F***ing disciplined that they don't need to be "better."  We have 4 individuals who are not on the same page.  How can QPR and Hull do it, but we can't?  It's so shocking and frustrating that it's clear that we don't have a defensive coaching approach whatsoever.  We should offer Steve Clarke his old job back and have him work on the defense. 

Now to the individual performances.

Sturridge had a poor game.    He takes way too much time on the ball and it's getting tiresome.  Seen a few comments back in the thread that he needs a partner to play with otherwise he doesn't do well.  You know what, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of hearing that such and such player can't play unless paired with someone else.  Stevie can't play unless Henderson is protecting him.  Sturridge can't play unless he has a partner.  Here's an idea: how about everyone pull their weight?  Last time I checked, Suarez was absolutely brilliant both as a partner AND on his own.  So if Sturridge can't cut it without having someone else play next to him then he can sit the bench and give Balotelli a try.  Because Sterling sure as hell isn't going to be dropped.  And I can guarantee you that Markovic would be better on the wing than Sturridge. 

And here's another unpopular truth: of that shower of sh*te defensive display, the only one who could come out with his head held high was Skrtel.  The man didn't put a foot wrong and has been since last season and continuing into this one our most consistent CB.  And yet, the calls from so many so-called supporters are for Sakho to come in in his place.  Why?  what did Skrtel do to deserve to be dropped?  Sakho didn't exactly cover himself in glory last year.  And yet you people want Sakho.  I'll tell you why: because Sakho cost 17m.  That's pretty much the only reason.  And yet he has done nothing, absolutely nothing to suggest he's better than Skrtel. 

Henderson also had a poor game.  I wonder if those brilliant six months last season were a flash in the pan.  Only time will tell.  Stevie was also anonymous.  I was excited to see Can come on but he was well off the pace and that dive was just shocking and cringeworthy.  We need another top class CM before the window shuts.

I actually thought Moreno didn't do too poorly.  He made mistakes that led to the goals, no doubt about that, but overall I don't think he had a bad debut.  Him getting injured there near the end just made the game go from bad to worse; we had no luck in that game at all.

And now we come to one Simon Mignolet. 

Honestly, what the hell is it going to take for people to see that he is NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!  Nothing he could have done about the second goal, but the first goal, F***ing hell, close your F***ing legs son.  And the third goal was the worst positioning I've seen from any keeper since Pepe made that stupid mistake away at City two seasons ago.  I mean F***ing hell Mignolet, where the hell was he, taking a nap in the middle of the pitch?? he practically gave Aguero an open goal!!!  Everyone wants Skrtel dropped despite doing NOTHING wrong and yet they refuse to consider dropping Mignolet despite the fact that he is afraid of his own shadow, is as quiet as a mouse when talking to the back four, and he makes idiotic mistakes that give away goals.  No no no.  Can't drop Simon!  Why?  umm.... we just can't.  Skrtel!  he's the one who needs to be dropped!  yea!  drop Skrtel!  But Mignolet just made two mistakes that cost us goals.  "Yea but he saved some worldies against Saints!"  What a generation we live in now.  Mignolet is shaky, nervous, poor positioning, but he makes one incredible save and suddenly all is forgiven.  I thought we were supposed to have the most intelligent supporters around.  Well it's really daft to think that a keeper can play so awfully and be so shaky but all is forgiven if he makes a few worldie saves.  I really don't get what the issue is with this lad.  It can't be confidence---he had the entire city of Liverpool in his hand from Day 1 when he saved that penalty against Stoke last season.  He has no real competition, so he can't fear losing his place.  And yet he still acts like he is afraid of his own shadow.  Dear Simon Mignolet: you are not good enough to be the starting goalkeeper of a team aiming to win the league.  You're just not.

Anyway.  Roll on Spurs.  Let's hope we've learned our lessons and let's cross our fingers SOMEONE worked with the back four this week so that they're not left to their own devices.

Quick Reply