Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC's Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      1 (0.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      12 (10.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      5 (4.4%)
      Martin Skrtel
      3 (2.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      9 (8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (5.3%)
      Joe Allen
      23 (20.4%)
      Raheem Sterling
      22 (19.5%)
      Phillipe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      4 (3.5%)
      Lazar Markovic
      15 (13.3%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.9%)
      Rickie Lambert
      12 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: Aug 30, 2014 10:33:56 pm

Man City 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debates

Read 38321 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Man City 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debates
      Reply #713: Aug 26, 2014 03:02:56 am
      I agree with Rodgers' assessment that up until the 40th minute mark we looked really comfortable and dominated large parts of the game.

The team, I believe up until the 40th minute looked more resilient defensively and unlike last season we seemed to control the game without the ball, such was our organisation. On the other hand, we'll need this a lot this season because we may not be the free-scoring team of last season, without a certain someone. Many of our games could be tighter this year.

Going forward was a concern for me and I thought Sturridge was ordinary, I think he needs a strike partner upfront to play-off, which will alter the dynamics of midfield. But we looked pretty toothless IMO, and that was the difference between them and us.

I think the way Rodgers has tinkered with the team is clever to an extent, he's kept the core of the team without throwing too many new signings into the first team. Only Lovern and Moreno started, so the cohesion should still be there. But as stated, the attack wasn't clinical enough and maybe Balotelli should partner Sturridge more often than not.

A sh*t result that has pissed me off but like Rodgers said, we're three points better off from these two (Saints) corresponding fixtures to last year. Hopefully the lads will be hurt by that and will go out and f**k Spurs next week.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #714: Aug 26, 2014 05:55:33 am
      the issue was the midfield. Hendo should play higher up the field not as right central midfielder(??). He should be in front of 2 CM/DM and just behind Sturridge. His runs, passes and vision would be better used there.
      And Coutinho is not very usefull on the wing.

WE just had a poor DM in Gerrard,, although he had a good game. I mean Gerrard is not a DM! He left our defense exposed too often! we need a DM in this team... Can or Lucas, whoever you want but we need a DM in these kind of games.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #715: Aug 26, 2014 06:03:28 am
      Up until the 1st goal we looked solid without the ball but our forwards were off form and you cant fail to take your chances in the big games like this.

Coutinho is wasted on the left and I wonder if especially away we are going to see just either him or Sterling starting matches in the future as Sturridge looked isolated last night.

It does worry me that its not so much the personnel in that defence (Johnson aside) but it's the way we set up which is putting to much pressure on them. The whole back four seems to drop too deep at times leaving a huge gap between them and the midfield. At home its not such a problem as we'll have the majority of possession but away against the top teams and in Europe its a massive concern.

At the end of the day, we were just beaten by a better team last night and the important thing now is we get 3 points off Spurs.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #716: Aug 26, 2014 06:38:43 am
      This game against Man City proving to be a reality check, so early on in the season, time now to move on and concentrate, on getting things right for the next few games ahead.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #717: Aug 26, 2014 07:56:07 am
      How would they 2 games in when 2 are new signings?

No I didnt mean as a slant on the team picked, more so that he has to stick with them no matter what. Last year he chopped and chained between the CBs when they werent performing. Needs consistency.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #718: Aug 26, 2014 08:20:57 am
      After some time to relax and recap I suppose the result was deserved. Yes we controlled large portions of the 1st half but we were poor in the final 3rd and lacked clinicallity in front of goal. City bossed the game with and without the ball. Their back 4 are the most well oiled machine I have seen in years - its like they have a rope pulling eachother into position when one goes to the ball they all move in tandem. And clearly when you have a strikeforce that lethal, you are going to score goals. Enough about them.

Thought Coutinho was very poor in possession and numerous times lost the ball in very vulnerable positions putting the team under pressure whilst jogging back behind the play. Im starting to believe he just hates playing in the rain.

Not sure about Sturridge playing as the lone striker. Looks lost in parts and has to come very deep to receive the ball. Not sure if that was down to City's defence or not. Would prefer to see the diamond with 2 upfront for Spurs. Ballo being the 2nd.

Lambo - Seriously needs to get out of his own head. You are no longer a liverpool player - you play for southampton... now shoot and relax on the ball. Looks like hes shitting himself all the time. 2 upfront looked better mind you but not sure if that was again down to city, taking their foot off the gas.

Sterling - looked great 1st half. Disappeared second.

Skrtel and Lovren. Didnt think they did a hole lot wrong. Maybe Skrtel's positioning sense was poor for the 2nd.

Markovic. Looks good.

Moreno. Harsh reality for the 1st. Looks great though and hopefully not too long an injury.

Gerrard. Not the best or worst game.

Hendo and Allen. Both played well until we starting to lose a foot in the game and their energy levels dropped. Great pressing from Allen but would still prefer to see him play as a sub. More impact.

Johnson. Muck. Terrible in possession and worse without. Seriously his decline from being an average footballer has to be the quickest in history. I read people saying "the abuse Johnson is getting is a disgrace". We are slagging him based on what he is doing so badly on the pitch. Nothing personal but we can only comment on whats put in front of us.. He needs to be dropped. Hes not arsed and if I had an employee who was not arsed and everyone else had to cover for his workload he would be dropped... simple as.

Heres hoping we have a better game against Spuds, not expecting it mind. If we manage a point and 2 wins from Villa and West Ham then thats 10 points from the 5 games. CL performance. Need to improve a lot though. Lose to spuds and our confidence will need a serious uplift.

"We go again".
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #719: Aug 26, 2014 08:24:09 am
      For me the problem is that Gerrard on the ball is great, but off the ball he's too lumbering now. His legs are going if not gone and we need someone there with the energy of Emre Can. Allen is too small and Hendo needs the freedom to roam and sweep up and close down.

Also, it dawned on me yesterday that Mig is not good enough and we need another keeper. So many shots are now starting to somehow squirm through his body that it's worrying.

Also, people are saying Couts needs to play in the middle, but I thought he did. That's two no shows from the lad now and after his dazzling pre season, he's starting to worry me.

Thought Moreno was a breath of fresh air and aside from his lapse of concentration, he was my MotM

Thought Lovren had a bit of a nightmare, and if he keeps playing Johnson then we can only suspect he and the Gaffer must be lovers or something.

Up front, in losing Suarez, we've looked leaderless and aimless. Studge needs a partner like never before and in that respect, I think signing Mario may turn out to be a great bit of business both financially and on the pitch
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #720: Aug 26, 2014 08:25:00 am
      I'm in the minority obviously but I thought we played pretty well on the night. The game was decided by a couple of incidents and mistakes, and it looked to me like two excellent teams who will be in the race for the title slugging it out.

Had we scored when we were well on top in the first half, it would have all been different but we didn't. Had Moreno (who was otherwise very good IMHO) not dawdled, we'd have gone in 0-0 and been kicking ourselves for not being in front. It's worth remembering also that while we're talking about us being "toothless" going forward, and our defence being "awful", it's not like they carved us open at will either. Mignolet barely made a save, and the influence of players such as Dzeko and Toure was minimal. Even at 3-1 we had a good chance (better than any they created which they didn't score from) and pre Johnson's injury we were still going at it. Nowhere near as dire as some are making out.

Positives for me:

Moreno is obviously a good player. Yes he made a mistake, but there oughtn't to be any worries about him being a good buy at 12 million quid. Loads of pace, brave going forward and a great covering tackle on Dzecko proved his worth.

Markovic did enough in his cameo to show he is a very special talent. Without the ball he needs work, but on it he is something else.

Allen was a zillion per cent improvement on Lucas and I thought for an hour was excellent.

Lovren was at fault for the third goal and arguably could have done better for the first too, but he looks like a proper centre half who is settling in to me. Future captain.

Sterling continues to impress and is a brilliant little player. Get that buyout clause in sharpish.

Defensively, despite Carra and Neville's dissection, I thought we are looking more solid than last season and have a better shape. Also from set pieces against one of the biggest and most powerful teams in the league we were excellent.

Negatives:

We didn't get the first goal, and lost.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      Reply #721: Aug 26, 2014 08:28:43 am
      Have to say I can't agree with people saying Sterling was great. I thought he was running into dead ends and had very little to no end product. Sure he's got pace to burn but last night be he also looked on times a lack of imagination and as said, end product. He'll learn though
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #722: Aug 26, 2014 08:37:21 am
      I'm in the minority obviously but I thought we played pretty well on the night.

No I thought on a whole we played well. Just nowhere near as good as we played for most of last season. Although we did start in 3rd gear last season also.

Lovren was at fault for the third goal and arguably could have done better for the first too, but he looks like a proper centre half who is settling in to me. Future captain.

Serious? The third goal was a perfect pass to a faster, fresher player. He had no chance and no chance to recover as Agueros 1st touch was perfect and perfect goal.

I think Lovren is definitely bedding in well. Commanding the area and good on the ball. Are they playing well as a unit yet? No. but they will get better as long as we stick with those 2.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #723: Aug 26, 2014 08:42:03 am
      I am serious mate about Lovren for the third goal. His starting position was all wrong and he opened the door for the pass. He wasn't helped by schoolboy goalkeeping after his error, but yes he got that one wrong.

I think he's a top player though and really rate him.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #724: Aug 26, 2014 08:52:24 am
      As has been said we did actually play well. Out passing is a bit sloppy but it will get sharper with more games. As for the back four im not too worried if we stick with them they will get to no each other more and the shape and positioning will improve. I feel coutihnos game is suffering when he is pushed out wide and has to cut in all the time. We need to play with two strikers to create space for sturridge and to give coutihno more options to pick the pass out.

Not to dissapointed or down heartened I imagine alot of teams are gonna get a real spanking there. This game just came too early for us especially with a new back four so heads up and on to the next one.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      Reply #725: Aug 26, 2014 08:52:35 am
      James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho 8h

Moreno left stadium limping and with right ankle heavily strapped. Johnson has thigh injury. #LFC
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #726: Aug 26, 2014 08:56:46 am
      Ok, if Moreno and Johnson are out for the game at White Hart Lane; Enrique and Flano aren't fit yet.

will we play a 3-5-2?

Skrtel   Lovren   Sakho
      Henderson                    Manquillo
                      Gerrard
      Sterling                    Coutinho
                Sturridge   Mario
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #727: Aug 26, 2014 09:02:02 am
      I'm in the minority obviously but I thought we played pretty well on the night. The game was decided by a couple of incidents and mistakes, and it looked to me like two excellent teams who will be in the race for the title slugging it out.

Had we scored when we were well on top in the first half, it would have all been different but we didn't. Had Moreno (who was otherwise very good IMHO) not dawdled, we'd have gone in 0-0 and been kicking ourselves for not being in front. It's worth remembering also that while we're talking about us being "toothless" going forward, and our defence being "awful", it's not like they carved us open at will either. Mignolet barely made a save, and the influence of players such as Dzeko and Toure was minimal. Even at 3-1 we had a good chance (better than any they created which they didn't score from) and pre Johnson's injury we were still going at it. Nowhere near as dire as some are making out.

Positives for me:

Moreno is obviously a good player. Yes he made a mistake, but there oughtn't to be any worries about him being a good buy at 12 million quid. Loads of pace, brave going forward and a great covering tackle on Dzecko proved his worth.

Markovic did enough in his cameo to show he is a very special talent. Without the ball he needs work, but on it he is something else.

Allen was a zillion per cent improvement on Lucas and I thought for an hour was excellent.

Sterling continues to impress and is a brilliant little player. Get that buyout clause in sharpish.

Defensively, despite Carra and Neville's dissection, I thought we are looking more solid than last season and have a better shape. Also from set pieces against one of the biggest and most powerful teams in the league we were excellent.

Negatives:

We didn't get the first goal, and lost.

So we are looking more solid (despite schoolboy defending for all three) with an even less potent attack.

Whoooopeeeeeee!

Now let's go and trounce the Tottenham  :roll:
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #728: Aug 26, 2014 09:16:01 am
      Not  a terrible performance. And certainly not a disaster in terms of top 2 or 4. BUT a very significant result potentially in terms of the title. Even at this stage.

Some observations:-
      1)When I heard Coutinho and Allen were playing, I was VERY concerned. Esp as we were away from home.
      These 2 with a Henderson who's still learning, and an ageing Gerrard means that the defence is potentially put under a lot of prssure.

2)Thought a lot was asked of Moreno. He's hardly been at the club. And Coutinho, Allen and the other 2 are infront of him against one of Europe's top clubs. NOT an easy ask.

3)Sturridge can draw deep and create vs normal clubs. But its not his thing against the top clubs. Likewise it was a big ask of Coutinho to slot into the Suarez role in some way.

4)I didnt see the game in Manc-chester. I saw it on TV. Notably in the preview analysis, ALL the attacks by Liverpool, the thro ball was from Suarez. We might have signed lots of potential and numerous exciting young players, one or two even top drawer or thereabouts. BUT the STRUCTURAL change of Luis going is GIGANTIC.

We really dont know WHO we're gonna field as a strongest 11, and how we will line up. Will there be a new playmaker with any Lucas, Borini, Agger money? Will Lallana do the job? Sturridge? Sterling? LOTS of uncertainties. Will Balo and Sturridge work togther?

5)We certainly have the numbers this yr. Lots of cover in certain areas. But the 1st 11, we have yet to prove that we can function at a level comparable to last season.  Some people forget, but you're only allowed 11 on the pitch at once! (Thats why some players go for 70, 80m!) If we spend 30m net, ok that might sound a lot to some people. BUT thats about the level of deprecaition the squad will show annually. IN financial terms, its "staying the same". Or improving depth, weakening 1st 11.

6)I think Balotelli's heading and presence would have been a help yesterday.

As before I'd sell Lucas, Borini, Agger, Allen. I'd get a top def midfielder, and a top playmaker and a keeper.
      We have real quality in some, even lots of areas. But I think we have a couple of substantial gaps. Some gaps may be closed by tweaking/gelling the system. Others may not.

Spurs will be interesting.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #729: Aug 26, 2014 09:29:56 am
      Hardly a surprise to be honest they looked far sharper and clinical, we looked very pedestrian again. A poor start to the season but not the end of the world.
      If we lose at Spurs then the meteor heading towards the world will hit.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #730: Aug 26, 2014 09:33:33 am

You'd be missing him if he was still at the club.
      HE'S F***ing SUSPENDED
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #731: Aug 26, 2014 09:49:52 am
      City gave our offense no space. Partly why some of us struggled. Expect more of the same from other teams. That includes deep defending.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #732: Aug 26, 2014 09:57:54 am
      City are a powerful, well-drilled team, packed with quality players from back to front yet we weren't outplayed (IMO). They clearly targeted our left flank [Alberto & Dejan] as being the 'weak link'.

A number of mistakes left quality players with easy finishes and our defensive 'unit' undoubtedly needs more (and better) rehearsal/drilling [from Simon through to Stevie] but...

We won't be the last team to get beaten at the Etihad this season.

Looking forward to the Spurs game: I'd work on F**k all other than defence and concentrate on getting the best defensive unit possible onto that pitch.
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2014 10:09:23 am by bad boy bubby »
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #733: Aug 26, 2014 09:59:05 am
      By no means the end of the world, I saw a lot of positives. I am the full belief that if we were to play them after 4 or 5 games, it would be a different story. Keep the head up Reds, we are going places but we have to allow time for players to settle. We have just played one of the best teams in the world and we outplayed them for a large part of the game, being over-powered at the end. Chin up!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #734: Aug 26, 2014 10:11:30 am
      We lost against the team I strongly suspect will win the league, if its not to be us. City were superb yesterday, brilliant defensively, very quick and precise midfield and attack and Jovatic who is on fire at the moment. If you add to that players like Aguero and Navas who start as subs!!! then you have to just tip your hat and say we lost to the better team on the night. That having been said it was a game of very fine margins and it could easily have gone our way, there are plenty of positives and the more I see of markovic the more I think we've got a really special player in the waiting. I also liked the look of Moreno, despite his mistake in his FIRST match in the premiership. Lovren also looks very good. The major culprit defensively was again Glen but then that's no shock.

If we can beat Spurs then we'll be right back on track and I think we will, if for no other reason Balotelli will be chomping at the bit to prove himself and I really think he will give us that extra dimension which we need.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #735: Aug 26, 2014 10:19:14 am
      We played well but we didn't get the result because we were away to the other best team in the league.

Quick Reply