Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC's Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      1 (0.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      12 (10.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      5 (4.4%)
      Martin Skrtel
      3 (2.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      9 (8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (5.3%)
      Joe Allen
      23 (20.4%)
      Raheem Sterling
      22 (19.5%)
      Phillipe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      4 (3.5%)
      Lazar Markovic
      15 (13.3%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.9%)
      Rickie Lambert
      12 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: Aug 30, 2014 10:33:56 pm

Man City 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debates

Read 38314 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Re: Man City 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debates
      Reply #736: Aug 26, 2014 10:25:42 am
      By no means the end of the world, I saw a lot of positives. I am the full belief that if we were to play them after 4 or 5 games, it would be a different story. Keep the head up Reds, we are going places but we have to allow time for players to settle. We have just played one of the best teams in the world and we outplayed them for a large part of the game, being over-powered at the end. Chin up!

Plenty of room for optimism Paul after the initial inner rage at being hammered.
      We were in control for quite some time until their superior individual skill was able to take advantage of some obvious teething troubles.
      It is fortunate we got the mauling over and done with because no matter when we play Citeh the Champions are going to give us a trial, they are a finely tuned tactical machine that are going to take some stopping from winning the title again.
      Let's not forget they were once as we are now, unaccustomed to each other's styles and customs, it is very early days but the signs of potential are there.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #737: Aug 26, 2014 10:32:45 am
      So, oliver hunt reckons our title hopes are over.

There's a reason your name is so easy to rhyme.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #738: Aug 26, 2014 10:32:58 am
      Watching that game yesterday I made a bet with my brother, after a bit of an argument, about who was better, chavs or Citeh, I bet him that Citeh would end up higher in the league and I stand by it, the chavs have strengthened but Citeh just look so damned strong in all areas and are playing like a well oiled machine. The chavs have a good striker now but what happens if he gets injured or suspended, Drogba is way past it and the less said about Torres the better.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #739: Aug 26, 2014 10:46:59 am

Second game in! What a F***ing idiot!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #740: Aug 26, 2014 11:10:06 am
      Second game in! What a F***ing idiot!
      Maybe the F***ing idiot was reading the match thread last night and just thought he'd join in with our loyal fans.  ;D

Anyhow back to the game - a right baptism of fire for young Moreno with all three goals from his side of the pitch. I hope he's not too badly injured and gets back to playing quick in the hope he can put this experience behind him.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #741: Aug 26, 2014 11:13:34 am

Has he forgotten that we can effectively cancel this game out with a home win against city?

The F***ing pleb
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #742: Aug 26, 2014 11:15:11 am
      Maybe the F***ing idiot was reading the match thread last night and just thought he'd join in with our loyal fans.  ;D

Anyhow back to the game - a right baptism of fire for young Moreno with all three goals from his side of the pitch. I hope he's not too badly injured and gets back to playing quick in the hope he can put this experience behind him.

On the bright side. LFC @ 16/1 now.
      United have shorter odds, despite only have 1 point.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #743: Aug 26, 2014 11:24:47 am
      I hate us losing but I wasn't expecting a comfortable win last night so I'm not overly disappointed and I certainly didn't see the clusterfuck that some of you have described.

Whether we like it or not we are still a work in progress, we have a very young but talented squad, we were playing the current champions away and it's the 2nd game of the season.  There's plenty to be positive about.

I didn't think any of the new players let themselves down, yes Moreno and Lovren made mistakes which cost us goals which I'm sure they'll be disappointed about but they will improve us overall once they become more accustomed to their roles and settle in.

Hopefully our injuries won't be serious or long term as Brendan really needs everyone fit to work with the whole squad.

Next up spuds away, another difficult fixture made harder now they have a decent manager and last summers signings seemingly showing their quality.  It's not going to be a drubbing like last season but we can and should win comfortably.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #744: Aug 26, 2014 11:45:26 am

By the F***ing idiot's reasoning therefore the mancs have no hope whatever.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #745: Aug 26, 2014 12:13:22 pm
      So we are looking more solid (despite schoolboy defending for all three) with an even less potent attack.

Whoooopeeeeeee!

Now let's go and trounce the Tottenham  :roll:

I'm putting you on probation I think. Aside from the silliness which will undoubtedly follow this post and which is fine, I'm going to keep a close eye on you. If you persist with a combination of ill informed football observations and your general unfunny rudeness/silliness/antagonism, I'm going to have to put you on ignore. It's not a decision I take lightly as I generally like to take all views on board regardless of who they are from, but life is too short to be wasted with buffoonery.

I'll leave it with you.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #746: Aug 26, 2014 12:18:15 pm
      Funny thing is my mate an utd fan, tweeted me saying, you lot look so much better defensively already. 2 minutes later they scored.

But a scum fan saying that obviously means we were pretty good defensively to begin with, I think it was a mixture of nerves and complacency which cost us the goals.

The more the same back four (baring Johnson) the better they will play together, their understanding will get stronger and then their defensive capabilities will follow.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #747: Aug 26, 2014 12:24:46 pm
      Funny thing is my mate an utd fan, tweeted me saying, you lot look so much better defensively already. 2 minutes later they scored.

But a scum fan saying that obviously means we were pretty good defensively to begin with, I think it was a mixture of nerves and complacency which cost us the goals.

The more the same back four (baring Johnson) the better they will play together, their understanding will get stronger and then their defensive capabilities will follow.

Nobodies talking about set-pieces, despite us defending them really well for two games. We ARE better defensively, the improvement is obvious to anyone who watches objectively. The first goal last night was a result of an individual error by Moreno, not a "created chance" as such. The second was the result of a good flick which opened us up, but even then I thought it was a fortunate finish by Jovetic. He mishit the shot, and I think Mignolet would have saved it if Johnson wasn't in his way. The third was indeed poor, but by then the game was over.

Aside from the goals they never made a chance. Our time will come, sooner than many people think this morning too.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #748: Aug 26, 2014 01:05:09 pm
      Interesting how City targeted us down our left flank and all the goals came from there. that was pretty shrewd tactics on their part.
      we started well but when we don't score first we do seem to get confused.
      It will be interesting to see what teams are fielded in the next month or so.I think Mario could be a huge influence for us because what Suarez has that Daniel lacks is immense strength and I think that was missing throughout the team last night
      MattJL
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #749: Aug 26, 2014 01:07:22 pm
      I'm putting you on probation I think. Aside from the silliness which will undoubtedly follow this post and which is fine, I'm going to keep a close eye on you. If you persist with a combination of ill informed football observations and your general unfunny rudeness/silliness/antagonism, I'm going to have to put you on ignore. It's not a decision I take lightly as I generally like to take all views on board regardless of who they are from, but life is too short to be wasted with buffoonery.

I'll leave it with you.

Come on, CR is entitled to his own opinion and he clearly believes that the team is in a worse position than last season. Maybe you should read the content of the post and come up with an intellectual response rather than threatening to put him on 'probation' and ignore, etc.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #750: Aug 26, 2014 01:13:41 pm
      I think we played a decent game. If there was one team that deserved to be ahead at half time it was us. A poor 'almost' clearence of Moreno cost us, but he'll learn from that. The second goal was good play from Man City. We're too quick to say goals against are defensive errors, while when we score its mostly  brilliant play. The third goal took us by suprise and that shouldn't happen.

On the whole I'd say there's no need to be depressed about this. A lot of people would have taken a draw before the game, which shows that's it's not a disaster to lose away to City. We'll just go and smash Spurs next week and all is forgotten!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2829 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #751: Aug 26, 2014 01:13:42 pm
      Come on, CR is entitled to his own opinion and he clearly believes that the team is in a worse position than last season. Maybe you should read the content of the post and come up with an intellectual response rather than threatening to put him on 'probation' and ignore, etc.

How anybody can come to the conclusion were worse of then last year after 2 games is amazing. Considering the fact were up 3 points from the corrosponding fixtures last year!! Theres way too many Liverpool fans on here and in general go fooking ape after a bad day and think its teh end of the world. These peopel need to kop the fook on. Funny thing is these are usually the same clowns who before the season starts shout out this is defo our year and build up there hopes
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #752: Aug 26, 2014 01:20:56 pm
      How anybody can come to the conclusion were worse of then last year after 2 games is amazing. Considering the fact were up 3 points from the corrosponding fixtures last year!! Theres way too many Liverpool fans on here and in general go fooking ape after a bad day and think its teh end of the world. These peopel need to kop the fook on. Funny thing is these are usually the same clowns who before the season starts shout out this is defo our year and build up there hopes

Agree mate its always feast or famine for some of our fans. A bit of perspective would be useful. Mind you not as bad as some of the in game threads the abuse that is heaped on LFC players is disgusting
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #753: Aug 26, 2014 01:30:13 pm
      We lost to City at the Etihad. That list will include a lot of other teams by the end of the season. Put it behind us, learn from it and get better. Good grief there is a LONG way to go from here. Brendan will get it sorted.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #754: Aug 26, 2014 01:46:16 pm
      We lost to City at the Etihad. That list will include a lot of other teams by the end of the season.

Indeed FL.

All that needs saying really.

And that Balotelli is now ready to play for us.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #755: Aug 26, 2014 01:50:03 pm
      Pretty disappointed in the game last night. We were well beaten. Didn't put forward much threat until the end of the game when the points were already lost. Last season at the Etihad, we lost but deserved to win. This time, we were outclassed all over the pitch.

However, I'm not worried about it. That game is gone. Being honest, I expected the loss. Coming so soon into the new season is ridiculous, and gave Man City a massive advantage with that fixture. Firstly, it is a Home game for them. Secondly, after Suarez's ridiculous WC antics, we were going to be without him regardless of whether or not he was sold! We had a lot of new transfers to bed in, and these will take time to get going. Man City on the other hand have a fairly settled team, and only needed to strengthen a few areas over the Summer.

Moving forward now, we will only get better. Our defence is going to be a lot stronger, and with Balotelli up front with Sturridge, we have goals in the team. Markovic looked superb when he came on too.

Not worried at all. All this talk of our title aspirations, whether or not we finish top 4 etc is crazy. We lost at the Etihad last season too, and look what happened!!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #756: Aug 26, 2014 02:14:00 pm
      Moreno may have been at fault for a couple of the goals last night but he still put in a better shift than Johnson has in over three years. I don't want to see any Liverpool player hurt or injured so I wish Johnson a speedy recovery but Brendan has to realise he is not good enough anymore. If Brendan thinks Agger isn't good enough to start for us then how the hell does he think Johnson is?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #757: Aug 26, 2014 02:18:07 pm
      And this knee jerk rubbish from some on here that we are worse than last season makes me laugh. We have easily the toughest opening fixtures in years! We are bedding in new players who all look impressive so far. How about you wait until we have a run of ten games behind us before drawing your knee jerk conclusions?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #758: Aug 26, 2014 02:30:36 pm
      Nobodies talking about set-pieces, despite us defending them really well for two games. We ARE better defensively, the improvement is obvious to anyone who watches objectively. The first goal last night was a result of an individual error by Moreno, not a "created chance" as such. The second was the result of a good flick which opened us up, but even then I thought it was a fortunate finish by Jovetic. He mishit the shot, and I think Mignolet would have saved it if Johnson wasn't in his way. The third was indeed poor, but by then the game was over.

Aside from the goals they never made a chance. Our time will come, sooner than many people think this morning too.

I agree that we defended set pieces well , but I thought we let Citeh get behind our defence too easily too often, especially down our right hand side (Johnson didn't have a good game).

I thought Moreno was very good (error aside). I remember him showing great pace to stop a city player who was clear on goal (Dzeko?) down the RIGHT hand side of the penalty area.

Lovren and Skrtel I am still unsure about, I think they may be a little too similar in the way they play. Both seem to react rather than anticipate and read the game. Early days yet.   

I thought we did well till we lost the first goal, but our attack looked pretty toothless. I don't think Sturridge did enough and certainly the midfield didn't do enough to help him.

I do believe that in part this was down to the way that Citeh worked so hard to get back when we broke quickly.... I think we may see this more often this season unfortunately...

Overall a decent performance but a very disappointing result. I think there is a lot we can take from this game and a few lessons we can learn from it too. More positives than negatives for me (result aside).

I think we will know more about the way our season will go after the next game at Spurs. 

Quick Reply