Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC's Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      1 (0.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      12 (10.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      5 (4.4%)
      Martin Skrtel
      3 (2.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      9 (8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (5.3%)
      Joe Allen
      23 (20.4%)
      Raheem Sterling
      22 (19.5%)
      Phillipe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      4 (3.5%)
      Lazar Markovic
      15 (13.3%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.9%)
      Rickie Lambert
      12 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: Aug 30, 2014 10:33:56 pm

Man City 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debates

Read 38316 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Man City 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debates
      Reply #759: Aug 26, 2014 02:40:11 pm
      We lost to City at the Etihad. That list will include a lot of other teams by the end of the season. Put it behind us, learn from it and get better. Good grief there is a LONG way to go from here. Brendan will get it sorted.

Indeed FL.

All that needs saying really.

And that Balotelli is now ready to play for us.

Absolutely. And we lost last year at the Etihad as well. Not an easy place to get a point, let alone a win. And if we look at it in terms of progress from last year, losing again at City isn't a huge deal. But we can't be losing at home to Aston Villa again, for example.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #760: Aug 26, 2014 03:05:07 pm
      I was one of the minority that voted we would lose to city on the poll. Of course I wanted us to win but I was realistic we would lose.  It's never nice to get a team as established as man city as the second game when there has been such massive changes in the side.  If this game came in two months when our new players have settled in then I think we would have got a point. Once Markovic,  Balotelli.... etc.. settled in we might be able to re locate Coutinho since I don't think he's playing well where he is. Johnson will be replaced during the season once we can ease other full backs in.
      MattJL
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #761: Aug 26, 2014 03:05:58 pm
      So I don't think we can read too far into this fixture. I thought it was a satisfactory display considering the new faces at the back, and we will certainly improve as the season goes on. Some of the abuse of Glen Johnson is absolutely appalling. He is a Liverpool player and we should stick by him for as long as BR does - likewise with every other player.

Balotelli will definitely add something to our team, and I cannot wait to see him feature on Sunday. Neither team were particularly at the races and we could've easily taken the lead in the first half. Certainly more positives than negatives to take out of this one - the main negative being the injuries to Johnson and Moreno, and I hope they will recover quickly. Markovic looked extremely encouraging when he came on, and I hope he starts at the weekend, possibly ahead of Coutinho (depending in which system we play) as he looked completely lost at times during the game.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #762: Aug 26, 2014 03:09:00 pm
      So I don't think we can read too far into this fixture. I thought it was a satisfactory display considering the new faces at the back, and we will certainly improve as the season goes on. Some of the abuse of Glen Johnson is absolutely appalling. He is a Liverpool player and we should stick by him for as long as BR does - likewise with every other player.

Balotelli will definitely add something to our team, and I cannot wait to see him feature on Sunday. Neither team were particularly at the races and we could've easily taken the lead in the first half. Certainly more positives than negatives to take out of this one - the main negative being the injuries to Johnson and Moreno, and I hope they will recover quickly. Markovic looked extremely encouraging when he came on, and I hope he starts at the weekend, possibly ahead of Coutinho (depending in which system we play) as he looked completely lost at times during the game.
      I think we'll get a point against Spurs on Sunday but we will win at home later in the season when they come to Anfield.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #763: Aug 26, 2014 03:14:45 pm
      I'd get a top def midfielder, and a top playmaker and a keeper.

Well said. +1. Have been harping on the need for a world class DM and we haven't got one yet. Sorry, Allen, Cou and Stevie can't take on the role. Who knows if we had that DM, we could have avoided one or two goals. Well, what do I know.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #764: Aug 26, 2014 03:17:56 pm

The abuse Johnson received last night has been building for two seasons now. He is lazy, brainless, can't cross, can't beat a man anymore, can't defend high balls, and looks disinterested 90% of the time. Sorry pal but I will in no way stand by that. He has either lost his ability or no longer appreciates playing for Liverpool. Either way he needs to be dropped.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #765: Aug 26, 2014 03:20:55 pm
      Have been harping on the need for a world class DM and we haven't got one yet. Sorry, Allen, Cou and Stevie can't take on the role. Who knows if we had that DM, we could have avoided one or two goals. Well, what do I know.
      I'm not totally convinced that Gerrard should even start games anymore. I'd have a proper DM over va deep playmaker. If we don't use deep playmaker then our midfielders will create those chances instead. We're conceding too many goals without a DM. We're trying too hard to keep Gerrard starting games and sentiment doesn't win titles.  Gerrard should play as an impact player when we need something. He still could be a very useful player if we use him right.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #766: Aug 26, 2014 03:25:29 pm
      The abuse Johnson received last night has been building for two seasons now. He is lazy, brainless, can't cross, can't beat a man anymore, can't defend high balls, and looks disinterested 90% of the time. Sorry pal but I will in no way stand by that. He has either lost his ability or no longer appreciates playing for Liverpool. Either way he needs to be dropped.
      I've been saying that since before last season started. If Rodgers doesn't drop him soon some fans will start to question how good our manager is. I'll be one of them if he starts on Sunday.
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #767: Aug 26, 2014 03:29:59 pm
      Don't agree with that about Gerrard. I mean, Juventus plays with Pirlo as a deep playmaker and, yet, they had the best defense on Italian League. And I don't think they would be crazy to not use Pirlo. The difference is that they have Pogba and Vidal playing as CM, and both can play on the offensive end and can defend very well. We have Hendo and Allen.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #768: Aug 26, 2014 03:33:29 pm
      I'm not totally convinced that Gerrard should even start games anymore. I'd have a proper DM over va deep playmaker. If we don't use deep playmaker then our midfielders will create those chances instead. We're conceding too many goals without a DM. We're trying too hard to keep Gerrard starting games and sentiment doesn't win titles.  Gerrard should play as an impact player when we need something. He still could be a very useful player if we use him right.

Agreed. Stevie being Stevie, he's 33 and not as if he's 23. Sadly, he's still playing with the burning desire but not the body. Having said that I'd deploy Stevie in an attacking role, let him roam and  and let him unleash some of his telescopic passes that will be far more productive. With that, not many teams would dare to commit too many players into our half knowing too well Stevie will hurt them real hard. Stevie is no DM and we have to acknowledge that, with a Masch like DM, I wonder what would be the score, perhaps a narrow 2-1 defeat or a draw?

We can't depend on a trio of Allen, Stevie and Cou to provide effective shielding of the defence, it's wishful thinking. I fear the worse, no proper defensive cover from midfield and we're not exactly scoring freely, I'm worried, truly worried. Say I'm having a knee-jerk, yes I am because I'm concern.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #769: Aug 26, 2014 03:36:53 pm
      Agreed. Stevie being Stevie, he's 33 and not as if he's 23.   

He's 34 mate.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #770: Aug 26, 2014 03:41:26 pm
      Don't agree with that about Gerrard. I mean, Juventus plays with Pirlo as a deep playmaker and, yet, they had the best defense on Italian League. And I don't think they would be crazy to not use Pirlo. The difference is that they have Pogba and Vidal playing as CM, and both can play on the offensive end and can defend very well. We have Hendo and Allen.
      Italian League is completely different. Much slower and it's easier to get away with such tactics. In our league people will just lob it over or race through the middle and shoot from the edge of the box, which is why we need a DM. Italian League tends to pass and defend at the expense of pace, so the CM can get back in time to help at the back. If Liverpool were in the Serie A then we could use a deep playmaker,  but we're not serie a we're premier league.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #771: Aug 26, 2014 04:15:00 pm
      First post! Have been reading the forum for about a year now and finally decided to join in. Tough game to watch, after playing so well until allowing that first goal. All three goals were just prime examples of poor defending/mistakes, which are inexcusable at this level. Migs was ok, although I really thought he should have done better with the Aguero goal. I believe Lovren is/will be a very solid player for us, but that 3rd goal simply cannot happen. I'm a huge Skrtel fan, and I didn't think he had a great game, nor a bad game. Just average. Moreno looks very promising going forward! However, I have to look at him for the first 2 goals. I hope (and believe it will) that his positioning will improve. Johnson...well not much to say. Has been like this for so long now, we need Flannagan fit and let him and Manquillo fight it out for RB. Stevie had a good 1st half, quiet 2nd half. He's my idol, but he's looking a little slower and rigid to me every game. Hendo worked hard but lost posession far too often, and every pass seemed under-hit and it slowed us down. Joe Allen had a very good game I thought, although he is lost from 20 yards out to goal. Coutinho needs to be in the middle IMO. Hate when he's on the wing. Sturridge looked dangerous, but it was few and far between. Biggest difference between he and Suarez: work rate. He needs to put a shift in for us pressuring that back line. Sterling played fantastic in 1st half, quiet in the 2nd. I believe our game needs to revolve around him. He's simply unstoppable when running at defenders, and when he plays his best, Liverpool plays their best. Markovic looks so promising! He and Sterling on the wings would be phenominal to watch. Lambert needs to be selfish and finish, and Can still looks a tad slow to me. Can't wait to see Mario play for us, and I truly b elieve when Lallana is fit, he will really play a big role in linking our midfield to our striker(s)!
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2014 04:54:21 pm by marska43 »
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #772: Aug 26, 2014 04:21:06 pm

Pirlo is different from Gerrard. Unlike Gerrard, Pirlo has great ball retention skills which makes him better suited for a deep midfielder role when spaces are restricted; he is able to better absorb the opponent pressure with good ball retention. Gerrard will remain a legend but his strength is in long ball distribution which is a strength when there is space to operate. He is not as effective when spaces are limited; he even can become a liability.

The fact is that we have neither Vidal nor Pogba. We cannot keep playing Gerrard in the hope that Allen and Hendo will turn into Pogba and Vidal...?

At some time, emotions will need to be put aside. The truth is that current Gerrard would never be a starter at City, Arsenal or Chelsea.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,709 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #773: Aug 26, 2014 04:31:59 pm
      I only watch it now. The first 40 minutes we were boss but when we get 1-0 down we lose our focus. Our defence needs a kick in the butt.

I couldn't make it yesterday, sorry guys. Lfc_ynwa did fine from what I can see.
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #774: Aug 26, 2014 04:38:41 pm
      I  do agree with you guys in some points. But what I'm telling you guys is: Do we have to discard Steven talents? I mean the guy just had a season with 13 assists(top of the league), completed 86% of his passes and was an important piece. I also feel that he is not good on the defensive side, but do we need to play with Fullbacks like we play, I mean, it's not like Glen is being a threat on offense, but BR keeps spiking him as he is Daniel Alves.

I don't, know... I'm not ready to discard someone who can make passes like he did for Sterling yesterday to keep someone like Allen or Glen on the pitch.
      condenado
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #775: Aug 26, 2014 04:50:38 pm
      You'd be missing him if he was still at the club.
      HE'S F***ing SUSPENDED

I mean miss his class, miss him from the team....i know that is suspended
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #776: Aug 26, 2014 04:57:38 pm
      we're up 3 points from the corrosponding fixtures last year!!

Only 6-0 away to Spuds will do this time around!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #777: Aug 26, 2014 04:58:17 pm
      Only 6-0 away to Spuds will do this time around!

Nah. 1-0 will still produce the same amount of points.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #778: Aug 26, 2014 05:03:50 pm
      Nah. 1-0 will still produce the same amount of points.

Its all about the goal difference!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #779: Aug 26, 2014 06:03:24 pm
      I  do agree with you guys in some points. But what I'm telling you guys is: Do we have to discard Steven talents? I mean the guy just had a season with 13 assists(top of the league), completed 86% of his passes and was an important piece. I also feel that he is not good on the defensive side, but do we need to play with Fullbacks like we play, I mean, it's not like Glen is being a threat on offense, but BR keeps spiking him as he is Daniel Alves.

I don't, know... I'm not ready to discard someone who can make passes like he did for Sterling yesterday to keep someone like Allen or Glen on the pitch.
      Regardless of what talents Gerrard has, it's starting to look like having a deep lying playmaker instead of a DM may be causing us to concede more than the benefit of goals it helps us create. We can't keep playing with a failing formation just so Gerrard can play.  We need to have a DM. Gerrard can't last 90 minutes in his attacking midfielder role anymore so this is why it might be time to use Gerrard as an impact player from the bench when he's needed,  which isn't unheard of for a player of his age. That is actually the only sensible way an aging player can stay on in the premier league rather than going to a lesser club. For the record I'd not renew Johnson's contract since high wages and he isn't good enough for us. I'd sell Allen.  Can and Manquillo can start in those positions. If I were Rodgers I would play this team.

Balotelli   Sturridge

Sterling                           Markovic
                       Can Hendo

Moreno Skrtel Lovren Manquillo

Mignolet

Subs: Jones, Johnson,  Sakho, Gerrard,  Coutinho,  Lambert.

Quality first 11 and some good impact players.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #780: Aug 26, 2014 06:03:28 pm
      Came up against the best defense in the division, the best attack and arguably the best midfield and came up a bit short at a very early stage of the season.

I saw many more positives than negatives.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #781: Aug 26, 2014 06:10:34 pm
      Came up against the best defense in the division, the best attack and arguably the best midfield and came up a bit short at a very early stage of the season.

I saw many more positives than negatives.
      If you are thinking about performances, then how about the Southampton game,  we only just by luck won that. I didn't see enough yesterday to justify we have the right 11 or right formation starting. 

Quick Reply