Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Tottenham vs Liverpool: Sunday, 13:30 BST

Read 12292 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Tottenham vs Liverpool: Sunday, 13:30 BST
      Reply #115: Aug 30, 2014 09:24:09 pm
      Can has played LB more than once and he was really good. He has played CB as well and he plays well in any position that he's asked. He'll be starting before we know it. He just needs to settle a bit more. Can is going to be our best signing this summer. I watched Leverkusen quite a bit last year. I'm huge fan of the Bender brothers. I still wished we would have got Lars Bender.

Cheers.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #116: Aug 30, 2014 09:46:25 pm
      Can't wait for this game. Unfortunately I won't be able to watch it until Monday so I'm staying off of here,Facebook and twitter as I'm completely avoiding the score. Hoping Markovic and Mario start,would also be tempted to start Can. Lambert probably deserves a starting to place but I don't think he'll get it.

I expect the game to be a lot closer than the 2 last season. An early goal would be brilliant to settle nerves of the players and fans. We silent Lamela we'll have a good advantage.

COME ON YOU REDMEN!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #117: Aug 30, 2014 09:57:26 pm
      Can't be bothered quoting all the posts but mainly i would put Coutinho in because i don't want to see our midfield isolating our attackers. We need movement from deeper positions to get our attacking trio involved.

If Lallana could start he would take over from Phil but i think a midfield of Can/Allen, Hendo and Gerrard wouldn't help us moving the ball upfield at the same time as getting bodies forward. Phil does that, and he is pressing more and more in defence too - bonus.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #118: Aug 31, 2014 12:53:03 am
      Many wanted Balo to fail but I've got this funny feeling that he will succeed. Good that we have Balo on our side, we have been missing a beast in the opposition box and defenders have been having a holiday all these years Hope Balo will be a nuisance to them and start bullying them, that'll be a good start and open up the space.

Spurs midfield will be strong and if we can go pass them their defence is vulnerable from what I can see. Win the midfield battle and we'll most probably come away with at least a point. We need to breakaway fast and be decisive.

I like what I see of Can in pre-season, he has that quality in him to pick a difficult pass and find the front man. He needs to start if he is fit.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #119: Aug 31, 2014 01:38:54 am
      Well since our best years coincided with the Cold War, I for one hope that Putin has invaded the rest of Ukraine by tomorrow lunchtime and that full scale nuclear war is underway.

'Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I'm very disappointed with that attitude.... I can assure you that it is much more important than that'.

Other than that, good luck!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #120: Aug 31, 2014 06:48:53 am
      Hope for a win of any sort, would be great to see Mario make his debut at some stage, think he would play well upfront with Sturridge. I just hope the defence does not let us down like the City game.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #121: Aug 31, 2014 07:29:21 am
      It was that 5-0 away win at Spurs last season that made me think we might actually have a shot at the title.  That has to be one of my favourite matches of ours in years.

If we can do even half as well today then I'll be chuffed.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #122: Aug 31, 2014 08:37:02 am
      Not an easy game, Pochettino has them well drilled so don't expect anything like last seasons fixture. In the past we have bounced back well after defeat but we have a lot of new players now and it will be interesting to see how they react. I would take any sort of a win.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #123: Aug 31, 2014 10:01:29 am
      I'd like to see us play BOTH Sturridge and Balotelli, probably with Coutinho in a free number ten role in behind. That way, we can play it over the top of the press and cut the c*nts to pieces. They won't get so quick to close us down on the edge of our box once we're 2-0 up after twenty minutes.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #124: Aug 31, 2014 10:11:08 am
      Well since our best years coincided with the Cold War, I for one hope that Putin has invaded the rest of Ukraine by tomorrow lunchtime and that full scale nuclear war is underway.

'Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I'm very disappointed with that attitude.... I can assure you that it is much more important than that'.

Other than that, good luck!

Shades of Mr Shankly there mate.
      Good luck indeed and if the new lads click we can turn these fuckers over.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #125: Aug 31, 2014 10:38:18 am
      Mignolet, Manquillo, Sakho, Lovren, Moreno, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Markovic, Sterling, Sturridge.

Bench: Jones, Touré, Enriqué, Can, Lallana, Coutinho, Balotelli.

Let's see if I'm right.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #126: Aug 31, 2014 10:50:14 am
      In town now and there is a Full kit w**ker alert. Better get his arse into gear if he's going to make it to White Hart Lane.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #127: Aug 31, 2014 11:12:56 am
      The other two forums (RAWK and Liv Official) are saying that this is the team for today's game, which comes from someone who has a track record of getting the team right.

LFC Team V Tottenham

Mignolet, Manquillo, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Markovic, Sturridge, Sterling
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #128: Aug 31, 2014 11:30:23 am
      The other two forums (RAWK and Liv Official) are saying that this is the team for today's game, which comes from someone who has a track record of getting the team right.

LFC Team V Tottenham

Mignolet, Manquillo, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Markovic, Sturridge, Sterling

That's a fast team, I reckon we're going to look to contain them and break fast and strong on counters.

Come on Redmen early in the season I know but after a City slip a win would be great.

2-1 Liverpool.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #129: Aug 31, 2014 11:31:47 am

Be inclined to start with Balotelli on the bench.  Hopefully it will enthuse Daniel Sturridge into his first decent performance of the season.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #130: Aug 31, 2014 11:39:17 am
      I reckon it'll be an entertaining 2-2 draw. Tottenham are decent and look well organised under Pochettino. Anyone who thinks we'll thrash them are kidding themselves. Will be a difficult one but looking forward to it.

We need to win the midfield battle in this one. That, imo, is where the game will be won or lost today.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #131: Aug 31, 2014 11:56:37 am
      everyone in that team bar Gerrard is a Rodgers signing.. well Henderson and Sterling weren't but they are Rodgers players. sad to see Skrtel out but very good to see Sakho. I am confident in that team to be honest, it is very talented and I'd imagine the bench is strong.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #132: Aug 31, 2014 12:12:44 pm
      everyone in that team bar Gerrard is a Rodgers signing.. well Henderson and Sterling weren't but they are Rodgers players. sad to see Skrtel out but very good to see Sakho. I am confident in that team to be honest, it is very talented and I'd imagine the bench is strong.

That's a good point actually.

Unrelated- So Markovic may be getting the nod over Coutinho in a sense, I have no problem with that. Love Coutinho but we need to try different set-ups plus I'm just dying to see Markovic too.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #133: Aug 31, 2014 12:17:17 pm
      That's a fast team, I reckon we're going to look to contain them and break fast and strong on counters.

We need to win the midfield battle in this one. That, imo, is where the game will be won or lost today.
      I agree with both observations lads.

We will be looking to break 'fast and strong' on the counter but Spurs [Pochettino] will be well aware of that and our 'Stevie to wide men' tactic. He'll play Capoue & Bentelab in front of the back four with Lamela completing the three.

If that 'three' in that formation copes with Gerrard's passing then, in my opinion, we'll find it tight. Where we have the beating of them is up-front tho' so, if we can find another way [not just Stevie's passing], to feed the three, we can outscore them.

I'm thinking there'll be quite a few goals in this game.  ;D

gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #134: Aug 31, 2014 12:21:41 pm
      Another tough one today, but going for a 1-2 win, Sterling with both. Come on you Reds
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      Reply #135: Aug 31, 2014 12:28:34 pm
      I hope for us to win but there is no comparison between this game and last season's, we faced a dejected Tottenham side who were up against the inform team in the league.

At this stage in the league to scalp 3 points of these would be great, I see Tottenham being on par with Arsenal this season so a win by any means nessccary will do me fine.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #136: Aug 31, 2014 12:29:52 pm
      Spurs team - Lloris ; Dier, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose ; Capoue, Bentaleb ; Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli ; Adebayor

Confirmed #LFC team v @SpursOfficial: Mignolet, Manquillo, Moreno, Lovren, Sakho, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Sterling, Sturridge, Balotelli

Sorry about getting it wrong. Awesome team though
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      Reply #137: Aug 31, 2014 12:30:41 pm
      And we were wrong.

Balotelli starts and Markovic is on bench.

Quick Reply