Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. man of the Match:

22 Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      19 Manquillo
      0 (0%)
      18 Moreno
      57 (36.5%)
      08 Gerrard
      1 (0.6%)
      06 Lovren
      1 (0.6%)
      17 Sakho
      0 (0%)
      14 Henderson
      24 (15.4%)
      31 Sterling*
      69 (44.2%)
      45 Balotelli**
      0 (0%)
      15 Sturridge
      2 (1.3%)
      24 Allen***
      1 (0.6%)
      23 Can - 61'***
      0 (0%)
      50 Markovic - 61' **
      0 (0%)
      03 Jose Enrique - 86'*
      1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Tottenham 0:3 Liverpool, In Game and post match happiness.

Read 25340 times
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Re: Tottenham 0:3 Liverpool, In Game and post match happiness.
      Reply #391: Aug 31, 2014 08:09:16 pm
      It reminded me so much of the Suarez goal against Spurs at Anfield last season.

There are not many left backs in the world,who can take the ball in their own half,like Moreno did and surge forward like that,and bury it into the far corner,amazing goal.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #392: Aug 31, 2014 08:27:02 pm
      Meant to mention earlier about the noise level of our travelling Red Army throughout that match !!!.. I know I only watched the game on Sky but right from the off all you could hear we're our fans singing.. loads of songs and chants by the way I NEVER hear at Anfield !!.

They even managed a good "Olay" as we pinged about 50 passes together in the second half as all those blue seats started to become visible.. !!!

Ha Ha Love it !! :lmao:
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #393: Aug 31, 2014 08:28:43 pm
      Thoughts:

We ended up being comfortable winners, but the margin between that and what happened at Man City is tiny. Adebayor should have scored when one on one but didn't, on such incidents games swing.

Moreno looks like a real find. He's lightening quick, looks a real competitor and has a great engine. My one reservation is that he can occasionally be a bit rash in the tackle when people run at him.

Lovren is the best centre half we've had for many a year. Like Moreno I was unsure about his signing, but also like the fullback he was a shrewd addition.

Sakho is an accident waiting to happen when on the ball, but is a committed, astute and powerful defender. We should minimise the times when we give it to him as much as we can and let him concentrate on what he's good at.

Manquillo is a tidy right back. Nowhere near so dynamic as Moreno, but a good defender who won't let anyone down.

The midfield worked well as a unit and Gerrard's defensive duties were performed much better. Unfortunately his passing wasn't up to its usual standard, but thankfully the other three were very good. Henderson was excellent, but Sterling in particular shone like a beacon, he really is turning into a very special player.

Sturridge and Balotelli looked like they might make a pairing. The Italian was very good but should have socred at least once, he'll improve. His attitude looked good too and he worked hard. That said, I did get the impression the mist was beginning to decend a bit before he was given the tug, and Brendan is going to need to get inside his head still further. It all seemed to stem from him feeling he didn't get the decision when challenged strongly in the air. He's going to need to get used to referees making mistakes, particularly when he plays for Liverpool. It was a good time to fetch him off.

Markovic was nowhere near so effective on the right as he was on the left in the previous match.

Can looks decent, but I've a hunch he is as unsure as I am about what type of midfield player he actually wants to be.

In the league so far, I think we've had the equal best start of all the teams who would expect to finish in the top six or seven. Us and Chelsea lead the way IMHO, Man City closely follow (although they lost their easiest game) while I think Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd have had significantly easier games than us. Everton have had a tricky start the same as us, but are a long way off. If you'd offered me this league table after three matches before the season started, I'd have bitten your hand off.

I don't understand where this sentiment is coming from. Sahko is an extremely accurate passer and is plenty good with his feet. He looks awkward but he plays the ball better than the majority of CBs.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #394: Aug 31, 2014 08:30:07 pm
      Sold Elvis to buy The Beatles - hopefully that term comes to fruition this season, seems more apt for us anyway, what with the Scouse connection!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #395: Aug 31, 2014 08:41:34 pm
      I don't understand where this sentiment is coming from. Sahko is an extremely accurate passer and is plenty good with his feet. He looks awkward but he plays the ball better than the majority of CBs.

Think its because today he miss placed a pass when under what seemed no pressure at all.

But I think he needs more game time and he will become more comfortable,  I think his passing is quite positive in comparison to Skrtel, he looks for the attacking pass rather than the simple one, which I am sure Rodgers would prefer.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #396: Aug 31, 2014 08:45:07 pm

I think I've consistently been one of Sakho's biggest advocates mate, I really rate him and I'm not trying to slag him off. Yes his passing is generally pretty good, but he is prone to the occasional "what in the name of f*ck was that?" moment as we saw today. Teams do see him as someone they can nick it off when he has the ball, someone they can pressure into a mistake.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #397: Aug 31, 2014 09:20:20 pm

Yeah he is pretty solid when he has got a bit of time and space and he is also a real confidence player who can become a bit of shrinking violet if he has a bad start. I thought he was an absolute liability with the ball today. I counted three errors that could have all cost us, there was the obvious one where he had time but telegraphed his pass that they really should have scored from. There was a second when he absolutely drilled one In to Joe Allen who was being closely marked (I think Joe might have wisely taken a booking on that occasion) and there was another really poor pass on 70 minutes down towards the left touch line that also nearly set them away.

In terms of our back four I'm chuffed to bits with Lovren and Moreno. But the jury is still out on the rest of them in terms of us having a top class back line.

Great win though, was nervous about this one, really fancied them to turn us over in truth. It i think this says to the rest of the league, we're no one season wonders. I would have taken 6 from the first 9 points if offered if a few weeks ago so happy days plus two of our toughest away days put of the way.
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2014 09:49:32 pm by Scottbot »
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #398: Aug 31, 2014 09:22:40 pm
      I really enjoyed that performance. Very committed, team performance and well deserved win.
      My Motm was Moreno, who was excellent and scored an absolute beauty, then closely followed by Sterling and Henderson. I also enjoyed the Balotelli debut...as much as he could have scored, i was much more impressed with his overall positional play and work rate and i know that if he keeps that up, the goals will come.
      Great win Reds!!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #399: Aug 31, 2014 09:33:12 pm
      Yeah he is pretty solid when he has got a bit of time and space and he is also a real confidence player who can become a bit of shrinking violet if he has a bad start. I thought he was an absolute liability with the ball today. I counted three errors that could have all coast us, there was the brio us be where he had time but telegraphed his pass that they really should have scored from. There was a second when he absolutely drilled one In to Joe Allen who was being closely marked (I think Joe might have wisely taken a booking on that occasion) and there was another really poor pass on 70 minutes down towards the left touch line that also nearly set them away.

In terms of our back four I'm chuffed to bits with Lovren and Moreno. It the jury is still out on the rest of them in terms of us having a top class back line.

Great win though, was nervous about this one, really fancied them to turn us over in truth. It i think this says to the rest of the league, we're no one season wonders. I would have taken 6 from the first 9 points if offered if a few weeks ago so happy days plus two of our toughest away days put of the way.

So by your reckoning Gerrard was also a liability because he gave the ball away just as much if not more than Gerrard.
       A shrinking violet?  Yup that would be the first choice French International CB who also happened to be the youngest ever captain at PSG. 

It was his first competitive game of the season and with somebody he has never played with before so more likely lack of match sharpness.

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #400: Aug 31, 2014 09:39:54 pm
      There was F**k all wrong with that performance today , Spurs were either dogshite or we made them look dogshite . personally for me it was the latter . And a clean sheet to boot as well as a team playing for each other .
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #401: Aug 31, 2014 09:43:25 pm
      Two out of three is a good start. Great performance by the team today.

Pros:
      + Sterling is just great to watch at the moment. Can see him being our highest goal scorer this season.
      + Moreno's another gem. Beautiful goal. Constantly pressing the opposition and hard to get through.
      + Manquillo is such a better defender than Johnson. Not as high caliber as Moreno, but full of enthusiasm to get back if he gets beaten.
      + Sakho & Lovren = First clean sheet of the season.
      + Henderson was back with a bang, after a dodgy performance on Monday.
      + Mario held the ball up well. Not 100% match fit, but good performance. Should have buried the rebound.

Con's:
      - Stevie had a poor first half.
      - Markovic needs to chase back.
      - Sakho doesn't look comfortable on the ball.
      - Allen dived. There was contact, but he made a meal of it.

Delighted with the 3 points before the international break. Hardest start in the league and the table looks a lot nicer.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #402: Aug 31, 2014 09:44:31 pm
      Great result :) Excellent - we looked quick, scored a few and kept clean sheet.
      Mario with a few more games under his belt would've got more than one.
      Raheem, excellent again.
      Stand out moment - what a goal from Moreno. New lad, to have the confidence to do that, brilliant. Defended too. Looks like a real find.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #403: Aug 31, 2014 09:47:30 pm
      So by your reckoning Gerrard was also a liability because he gave the ball away just as much if not more than Gerrard.
       A shrinking violet?  Yup that would be the first choice French International CB who also happened to be the youngest ever captain at PSG. 

It was his first competitive game of the season and with somebody he has never played with before so more likely lack of match sharpness.

Just how I see it fella. It all depends where you give the ball away doesn't it? Yeah the Captain will give the ball away from time to time but more often than not its in the oppositions half. Beside its not a great comparison is it? Comparing Sakho giving the ball away to possibly our greatest ever player who for the most part has not given the ball away in dangerous situations. I like Sakho when he is on his game but he just looks to me like there are mistakes in him, even for France in the WC I saw some similarly dodgy moments and I thought they actually looked more solid when Koscielny came in when he got his one match ban.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #404: Aug 31, 2014 09:50:49 pm
      Just how I see it fella. It all depends where you give the ball away doesn't it? Yeah the Captain will give the ball away from time to time but more often than not its in the oppositions half. Beside its not a great comparison is it? Comparing Sakho giving the ball away to possibly our greatest ever player who for the most part has not given the ball away in dangerous situations. I like Sakho when he is on his game but he just looks to me like there are mistakes in him, even for Franc win the WC I saw some similarly dodgy moments and I thought they actually looked more solid when Kocielny came in when he got his one match ban.

It doesn't make sense to compare the two but if we are, look at todays game, Sakho miss places one pass where Stevie miss places several, and Sakho is the one who looks poor and uneasy on the ball.

It can happen to any player, for me the miss placed passes where due to it only being the 3rd game of the season and for Sakho his first game in a new back four which he needs to settle into, as for Gerrard he just had a poor game.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #405: Aug 31, 2014 09:52:18 pm
      I think I've consistently been one of Sakho's biggest advocates mate, I really rate him and I'm not trying to slag him off. Yes his passing is generally pretty good, but he is prone to the occasional "what in the name of f*ck was that?" moment as we saw today. Teams do see him as someone they can nick it off when he has the ball, someone they can pressure into a mistake.
      He gets the odd brain fart but in fairness today was his first game with Lovren and mistakes will happen . Now if these mistakes continue then Rodgers will need to drop him .

Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #406: Aug 31, 2014 09:54:07 pm
      It doesn't make sense to compare the two but if we are, look at todays game, Sakho miss places one pass where Stevie miss places several, and Sakho is the one who looks poor and uneasy on the ball.

It can happen to any player, for me the miss placed passes where due to it only being the 3rd game of the season and for Sakho his first game in a new back four which he needs to settle into, as for Gerrard he just had a poor game.

It's not me comparing the two of them! At least not by choice, as for Stevie, I didn't really notice that he had a bad game tbh. He didn't really stand out in a negative or positive way for me. I certainly don't remember thinking "fu....ck don't do that you nearly bloody killed us with that pass" like I did several times when Sakho was on the ball.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #407: Aug 31, 2014 09:58:23 pm
      It's not me comparing the two of them! At least not by choice, as for Stevie, I didn't really notice that he had a bad game tbh. He didn't really stand out in a negative or positive way for me. I certainly don't remember thinking "fu....ck don't do that you nearly bloody killed us with that pass" like I did several times when Sakho was on the ball.

I know mate, i know.

He misplaced x2 the passes Sakho did and the passes may not have been as threatening to our defense as Sakho's. BUT he did misplace more passes and was the only negative in a positive midfield performance for me.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #408: Aug 31, 2014 09:59:33 pm
      He gets the odd brain fart but in fairness today was his first game with Lovren and mistakes will happen . Now if these mistakes continue then Rodgers will need to drop him .

And I would definitely persist with them as a partnership, the club paid nigh on 40 million for the pair of them so fingers crossed they click. I still can't help but wonder if Big Coates (makes it past tomorrow's window) might end up the natural partner for Lovren. It's just that I'm struggling to see a natural partnership amongst the players we've got.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #409: Aug 31, 2014 10:04:26 pm
      What a great weekend of football.

I voted Moreno MOTM but it could easily of been Raheem or Jordan.

Very pleased with the performance of the new lads as well.

Manquillo also played very well after receiving his yellow card and showed a lot of discipline defensively.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #410: Aug 31, 2014 10:04:39 pm
      There was f**k all wrong with that performance today , Spurs were either dogshite or we made them look dogshite . personally for me it was the latter . And a clean sheet to boot as well as a team playing for each other .

Agree with you on that one mate, up to today they were 100% unbeaten both as a team and individually as a goalkeeper i.e. not conceding a single goal, a perfect start to the season.
      I'm still not confident of us not conceding a goal but we appear to be improving big style, we put 3 past them away again for the second consecutive season and 12 in the last 3 meets. a lot of people on here thought we wouldn't be as impressive as we were last season but they were wrong.
      Can't wait for the next game, I hate the international breaks !
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #411: Aug 31, 2014 10:06:58 pm
      Was travelling so missed the game and only found a 2 minute highlights video so far. Just delighted we got back to winning ways though. Was needed after a disappointing night on Monday and when you factor in the games we've had, sitting 3 points off the pace, equal with City and Spurs and ahead of Arsenal is pretty damn good.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #412: Aug 31, 2014 10:07:08 pm
      And I would definitely persist with them as a partnership, the club paid nigh on 40 million for the pair of them so fingers crossed they click. I still can't help but wonder if Big Coates (makes it past tomorrow's window) might end up the natural partner for Lovren. It's just that I'm struggling to see a natural partnership amongst the players we've got.
      I was very impressed with Coates Preseason form and thought we might see him at least getting on the bench , Sakho for me needs tweaking , his communication skills are lacking whether that has to do with him not speaking much English is another question .

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #413: Aug 31, 2014 10:12:31 pm
      Agree with you on that one mate, up to today they were 100% unbeaten both as a team and individually as a goalkeeper i.e. not conceding a single goal, a perfect start to the season.
      I'm still not confident of us not conceding a goal but we appear to be improving big style, we put 3 past them away again for the second consecutive season and 12 in the last 3 meets. a lot of people on here thought we wouldn't be as impressive as we were last season but they were wrong.
      Can't wait for the next game, I hate the international breaks !
      Is right Steve , although Balotelli will never replicate Suarez he'll do enough to create and score and with the defence bolstered you'd think there's enough in this team to get close enough to where we were last season .

Quick Reply