Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. man of the Match:

22 Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      19 Manquillo
      0 (0%)
      18 Moreno
      57 (36.5%)
      08 Gerrard
      1 (0.6%)
      06 Lovren
      1 (0.6%)
      17 Sakho
      0 (0%)
      14 Henderson
      24 (15.4%)
      31 Sterling*
      69 (44.2%)
      45 Balotelli**
      0 (0%)
      15 Sturridge
      2 (1.3%)
      24 Allen***
      1 (0.6%)
      23 Can - 61'***
      0 (0%)
      50 Markovic - 61' **
      0 (0%)
      03 Jose Enrique - 86'*
      1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Tottenham 0:3 Liverpool, In Game and post match happiness.

Read 25575 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Re: Tottenham 0:3 Liverpool, In Game and post match happiness.
      Reply #437: Sep 01, 2014 09:35:31 am
      Sahko needs to improve on his distribution.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #438: Sep 01, 2014 09:42:54 am
      Loved that interview.

Steven: I'm going on holiday! Class

I was in stitches when he said this during the interview, think Raheem liked it as well.  ;D
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #439: Sep 01, 2014 10:01:34 am

I was in stitches when he said this during the interview, think Raheem liked it as well.  ;D

Loved what he said about Mario too.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #440: Sep 01, 2014 10:07:54 am
      So many positives. Easiest man of the match vote I've ever casted, what a player Sterling is and going to become.

Sturridge played really well on the ball as some have said and looked a lot more threatening with Balo next to him. 2 up front is the way forward for me. And I actually thought Balo did well, he held ball up, he created space and got about his business. Needs a bit more game time to be back to his best after playing in slowcoah Italy, but a decent start.

Hendo has to be one of our most consistent and important players now. He has some engine on him and love his determination until the end. Lovren and Sakho partnership clearly needs a bit more time together, but it's definitely my preferred partnership at the back. There were a few nervous moments, but overall, those two did not give Tottenham a chance. 1 shot on target (plus I think it was 8 attempts on goal vs our 17 tells a story). Moreno...awesome goal, great performance, the lad is clearly here to make that LB his place. Made up for him. Great celebration in the end too.

Thought Manquillo did ok, but would like to see Flanno converted to RB when he's back. I wasn't as impressed with Allen as some have suggested. I thought he did his job and did it ok, but not a performance that has convinced me he should be starting regularly. Against non-physical sides like Tottenham, he does ok. When he comes up against more aggressive sides like City, Chelsea, Stoke et al, he get's bullied off the ball easily. That's why I think it's important to bring Can up to speed very quickly. I also didn't think this was one of Stevie's good performances. He gave the ball away too easily on a few occasions and he wasn't as sharp as the others in the midfield. Took his penalty really well as expected and provides the leadership needed but I have to say (I know I'll get cruicified for saying this), after this season, I'm not sure he shoulod be in the starting line up. I think in Lovren, Hendo (and possibly Llalana), we have decent  captains-in-waiting.

There were so many positives, but the biggest thing for me was that last season, it took us 7 or 8 games to start performing like this. If we can start doing this so early on, knowing we'll only get better, I'm so optimistic. We even had Coutinho, Markovic and Can on the bench, with Lllalana, Flanno and Skrtl to come back. The future is bright, and it isn't orange.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #441: Sep 01, 2014 10:10:46 am
      Absolutely delighted with that performance. Sterling was amazing but I gave my MOTM to Moreno for the goal and his defensive work. Really made up for his mistake against City. Buzzing today.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #442: Sep 01, 2014 12:44:14 pm
      Terrific result. Our midfield was fantastic, with Gerrard and Allen playing good but not great. Hendo worked his socks off as usual, and orchestrated that first goal. He is slowly becoming a guy that we can't replace in the 11. Sterling was MOTM for me...again. He is simply unstoppable, and I will reiterate that he is the player we should and will build the team around (until Barca come calling for him). Studge looked great on the ball, although was selfish in late parts. Mario had a decent debut. I do worry about these 2 becoming lazy off the ball.
      Our defense was overall ok for me. Fullbacks were great, especially Moreno. So much potential for me. However the lovren sahko partnership for me wasn't great. Both made several mistakes that better team will punish. Lovren went to ground multiple times and was simply blown by. Skrtel gets into the 11 for me when healthy, no question. Now, the long wait til the next match!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #443: Sep 01, 2014 12:52:14 pm
      Sahko needs to improve on his distribution.

I put it down to lack of match fitness, his distribution is normally one of his strengths. I'm sure he will get better.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #444: Sep 01, 2014 01:02:16 pm
      Once to team has fully bedded in its going to become even more fluid in attack & solid in defence.

Playing Spuds straight after the Citeh defeat is what was needed & proved we are on track for a solid season.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #445: Sep 01, 2014 01:15:23 pm
      Very good performance yesterday, and were by far the better team.  We are far better balanced with 2 up front I think, but also have so much more depth with the players who we have able to come on.  Again some very good link up play - the first goal actually came with Mario winning a header at left back, pushing all the way up the field ending with Lloris not having time to clear properly - so I give him some credit for that.

Hope that we will see Henderson to Sterling a few more times this season.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #446: Sep 01, 2014 02:00:40 pm
      we've raved about sterling (deservedly) but just another shout out for moreno. after his mistake against city, some might have gone missing with self doubt, but he played his heart out. and that goal...a finish like that after a 60 yard run was just brilliant. welcome to the club fella :)
      RedRepublican
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #447: Sep 01, 2014 02:39:34 pm
      Great result and performance. Scored three and could have had more. But I enjoyed the clean sheet the most.

Really hope we can get a strong, settled back four after the international break.

Sterling Man of the Match, but I thought Henderson and Moreno were outstanding too.

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #448: Sep 01, 2014 02:43:02 pm
      From the start of the first half, it was a given; we were going to beat them.

Lovely game.
      solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #449: Sep 01, 2014 02:44:57 pm
      Great result and performance. Scored three and could have had more. But I enjoyed the clean sheet the most.

Really hope we can get a strong, settled back four after the international break.

Sterling Man of the Match, but I thought Henderson and Moreno were outstanding too.

:kop5cf8koxp6:

Sturridge and his footwork can not be ignored.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #450: Sep 01, 2014 03:03:22 pm
      Quote from what-a-hit
      Just reading that Sturridge was a down point s@int.

Na, not for me.

Great ball for first goal, superb cross for Balotelli of which Mario really should have scored, at least three really good efforts at goal and you're singling him out? Don't get that one mate but agree with the rest of the post.

Think Studge looked a lot more comfortable with an other striker and was able to find pockets of space easier whilst looking a little lighter due to a little weight being taken off his shoulders.

Shout for Hendo who I thought was very good with the dirty work and he was the one who orchestrated our first goal but he was nicking the ball all game.

I'd like us to give that back four a run out now as I think both Lovren and Sakho will improve with time and a settled back four will benefit Manquillo, Moreno and Mignolet. If we can get that foursome working as a solid unit it'll give us the solidity in defence that we craved last season.

Thought Manquillo got about his business well and wanted to win the ball high up and if Moreno didn't make up for his little mistake against City with the performance and goal then he definitely did with his celebration. We love all that.

Of course big shout to Raheem too and I said to a few mates at the start of the season (some of them blue) that he may well be our player of the season.

Mignolet made a decent save in the second half but may have come out quicker when Adebayour lobbed him and I remember him being indecisive in the first half when rushing out and conceding a corner. He done okay but he is still a while off making me believe that he is an obvious number one goalkeeper. I can't help think he'd look a lot less like our number one option if we had better competition than Brad Jones.

We got very lucky with the penalty decision but I'll have them all day. We get a lot of pens don't we?

There was no luck with the decision at all. Allen was fouled in the box, it can't be denied. So it was a penalty all day long.

Would have liked a few more after 62 minutes,  as goal difference could be very important if we need it, at the end of the season, but if you offfered me 3-0 at the start of the day, I would have gladly taken it too.

Bring on the Villa. About time we beat them at home.  We've only been waiting four years.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #451: Sep 01, 2014 09:00:26 pm
      Great performance by the lads and management. Burst the Spurs balloon just as it was beginning to inflate itself with lots of hot air.

Sturridge played far better having another mobile striker up there with him. What a stroke of luck of us that we got Balotelli ahead of Remy. He is clearly a superior player. Mario has the mobility, touch and physical power to be extremely useful with Sturridge and Sterling.

With those 3 up front we are going to be a threat to any team. Their pace is fantastic. Lovren and Sakho might be a partnership that surpasses Skrtel and Lovren/Sahko

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #452: Sep 01, 2014 09:49:22 pm
      Well what a relief that was, for a change we actually looked like a team where it came to the defence. The defence wasn't perfect by any means but there were so many promising signs. Will start with the full backs; young Manquillo was very good again, I don't think he got forward as much as he did last time out but he was solid defensively again and he isn't scared of going in full force on a challenge, he picked up a yellow card relatively early on again like he did against Saints but he again handled himself very well, he made sure he didn't make any silly challenges whilst still being effective at the same time, very promising signs. Over on the other side Moreno was showing why he is compared to Jordi Alba, the pace when he got forward on the goal, he got away from Townsend easy (after a very good challenge on him) who is no slow coach by any means. Seemed much more settled defensively and capped his fine performance with that sublime goal.

The CB pairing, think the majority of us were wanting to see that pairing. They made some silly mistakes like passing the ball straight to them or both going for the same ball but I wasn't overly concerned by this for the fact that when one of them did make an error, the other one was there to cover them, the tackle Lovren made on Adebayor after losing the ball was a beaut, get that wrong and it would have been a penalty and a red card but it was inch perfect.

For once we actually had a back four who were exactly where they should have been, they weren't drifting out of position or failing to get back after losing the ball. There were a few communication problems with the CB's going for the same ball but it was the first time they have played together but on the whole I was impressed because Spurs were really going for it quite a few times in the game and we stood firm. Even a cracking save by Migs.

The midfield were much better than against City, seemed much more relaxed and Hendo looked his usual self getting forward. Joe Allen obviously won us the penalty after a good bit of link up play with Sturridge and anyone saying the penalty can go F**k themselves because Dier put his hand on him and had every intention of pulling him back, he was asking for a penalty to be given then.

Was very impressed with the early indications of the Sterling, Sturridge and Balotelli combination. Balotelli missed a few good chances but I'm sure on another day he will take them, the important thing is that he was getting into the right positions. He was working hard for the team and shrugged off Kaboul a treat just before the open goal miss. Showed no signs of an attitude problem, worked hard and will improve I'm sure.

Sturridge was unlucky not to score, fizzed one just wide from distance and was denied by a few good saves. Played a huge part in assisting too, a beautiful ball in for Balotelli to get his head to and a great bit of play to put Hendo in on the first goal. He didn't score but he looked very dangerous and again, better than against City.

Sterling is just a beast, getting better and better and terrified them with his pace. Not sure what he was doing after rinsing their defence but it doesn't matter too much, the game was already comfortably won.

Our subs were good, don't really remember Markovic doing too much but I don't think he saw a lot of the ball over that side of the pitch really. Emra an looked very good I thought,  a few good tackles and passes and a powerful run from his own half that led to the Sterling chance for 4-0.

I was concerned that we would let the City game get to us but we responded very well and showed some very promising signs. We may have lost last week but we are still better off than last season and it's a good feeling having thumped Spuds on their own turf again after we were struggling their for a few seasons. 12-0 over the last 3 games should give us a huge psychological edge going into the next encounter with them.

Need to keep working hard and improving because we were by no means perfect and still saw a lot of areas that need working on. We went on a 11 game winning streak last season so let's better that starting from this game!

Well in Reds.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #453: Sep 01, 2014 09:58:00 pm
      Spurs will be lucky to finish 7th this season, probably behind everton and utd.  Brad Freidel described LFC as a team "we see as our competitors in the top 6" - MOTD 31 August 2014. What'you smokin Brad?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #454: Sep 01, 2014 10:39:22 pm
      Spurs will be lucky to finish 7th this season, probably behind everton and utd.  Brad Freidel described LFC as a team "we see as our competitors in the top 6" - MOTD 31 August 2014. What'you smokin Brad?

If that joke of a club can stick with their manager, I think they'll end up being a very strong outfit personally. Not as strong as us, of course.  :cool-smiley-027:
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #455: Sep 01, 2014 11:33:19 pm
      Lovren went to ground multiple times and was simply blown by.
      He went to ground with some fantastic sliding tackles as well .

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #456: Sep 02, 2014 01:23:16 am

They'll finish fifth for me. They have the basis of a good team with a good manager, and good depth in quality.

Happy to have played them now than rather than later when they have more time to gel.

Enjoyed watching the replay over and over. Moreno was just superb!
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #457: Sep 02, 2014 10:11:40 am
      Finally got round to watching the game last night. Had went all Sunday without knowing the score until my mate said ill be happy with the 3-0 win. I could have killed him. Anyway...I thought we were superb and fully deserving of a 3-0 win,you could argue that it could have been more. Sterling was immense,he just gets better and better. I was impressed by Mario,maybe should have scored the open goal but apart from that he worked hard for the team and helped out his teammates when needed when that was something he was said to be lacking. Moreno's goal was a peach and I can see why he's drawn comparisons of Jordi Alba. Long may that kind of play continue!

Quick Reply