Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who should be the new vice-captain?

6. Lovren
      21 (17.5%)
      14. Henderson
      84 (70%)
      15. Sturridge
      2 (1.7%)
      22. Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      37. Skrtel
      11 (9.2%)
      Other... (please specify)
      2 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Poll: The New Vice-Captain?

Read 10395 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Poll: The New Vice-Captain?
      Reply #92: Sep 04, 2014 11:18:15 pm
      Part of the article for those that have not read it.

So that leaves just one logical choice: Jordan Henderson. The 24-year-old midfield man appears to be by far and away the best candidate to not only succeed Agger, but to perhaps take over from Gerrard eventually too. If Rodgers is making a list of pros and cons for each player, there won't be too many "cons" on Henderson's list. In fact, I can't think of any.

Who can replace Agger as vice-captain and, one day, Gerrard as club captain? It has to be Jordan Henderson.
      The "pros" list, on the other hand, is lengthy. He's one of the first names on the team sheet nowadays and has grown in stature each year he has been at the club. He's one of the more experienced members of the side despite only being in his fourth season at Anfield. He's becoming increasingly vocal on the pitch. He's usually first on the scene to celebrate goals or when there's any kind of confrontation. He's now become a regular for his country, is one of the most dedicated professionals and hardest trainers you'll find and is beginning to show great leadership qualities.

Even at this week's news conference ahead of England's friendly with Norway, Henderson was displaying the kind of leadership that will endear him even more to his club manager. Raheem Sterling was being rather unfairly grilled about a perceived dip in form during the World Cup following his terrific start against Italy, and just as it appeared the teenager was starting to become a little uncomfortable, in stepped Henderson.

"I didn't think he had a bad game. I thought he did well: a 19-year-old playing in the World Cup, on the biggest stage. I thought he was our best player in the first game against Italy. And, against Uruguay, when he got the ball he tried to be positive, to take players on and get crosses in. In both games I thought he was outstanding."

That put an end to that particular line of questioning and no doubt drew a "Thanks, mate" from a relieved Sterling afterwards. That was Steven Gerrard-esque behaviour from Henderson and typifies the type of character he is fast becoming.

It's a remarkable turnaround from a young man who initially struggled after making a big-money move to Anfield from his hometown team, Sunderland. He looked like a fish out of water at times in his first season at the club, not helped by being played out wide on the right (and occasionally even on the left). He appeared short of confidence and reluctant to try things, and few were surprised when it looked like he might be shipped out after one year along with other disappointments from the Kenny Dalglish/Damien Comolli era.

This thread is about being vice-captain now...and how despite him being able to "organize on the pitch" and be "vocal to the back 4"  the vice-captaincy needs to be earned and that person needs to have earned the respect of the club, manager and teammates.

For as much as I like Lovren (and I do rate him highly), how that can be given to somebody that has played 3 matches I do not know.

Brendan brought him in to be the vocal leader of the back four and defense..that does not make a person "Captain or even Vice-Captain" material.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #93: Sep 04, 2014 11:22:02 pm
      To be honest I don't think we'll see an official VC this season. The Captain in lieu of Gerrard will likely be selected on a game-by-game basis. I think it'll be next season before we see a Vice-Captain. Time for all potential candidates to prove themselves :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #94: Sep 04, 2014 11:30:03 pm
      Hendo deserves it for the little skip he does as soon as we score. Up there with the "Arbeloa" as favourite celebration rituals.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #95: Sep 05, 2014 12:13:05 am
      Quite simply because neither Skrtel or Henderson have the leadership qualities needed to be considered where as Lovren does. Being a Vice or Captain isn't a reward for your loyalty or your improvement as a player, it's a leadership role within the team and you're expected to organise the players around you. Neither Skrtel nor Henderson could organise the skin off a Rice pudding. That's not a bad thing, just that some people aren't leaders. If there's one criticism of our current team it's that it lacks them and hopefully its an area that will be addressed over the coming windows.

Based on your rationale Gerrard should not have been anywhere near the arm band, the lad is as quite as a mouse.

He leads by example though and his performances dictate the pace and effort of his team mates so it's a different style of leadership.

I never discredited any of Lovren's leadership qualities nor did I state he wasn't cut out for it merely that he has to do a little bit more to earn his stripes to be given that responsibillity.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #96: Sep 05, 2014 12:32:39 am
      To be honest I don't think we'll see an official VC this season. The Captain in lieu of Gerrard will likely be selected on a game-by-game basis. I think it'll be next season before we see a Vice-Captain. Time for all potential candidates to prove themselves :)

do we HAVE to name a VC? I remember last season wondering who was going to be our deputy VC, as that was Reina who was on loan. now we don't have a Vice or a deputy Vice. I guess we don't HAVE to name either, but we usually recognise a VC don't we.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #97: Sep 05, 2014 01:03:20 am
      Hendo

Quick Reply