Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mignolet
      1 (1.1%)
      Manquillo
      9 (10.3%)
      Moreno
      1 (1.1%)
      Lovren
      3 (3.4%)
      Sakho
      3 (3.4%)
      Gerrard
      6 (6.9%)
      Coutinho
      17 (19.5%)
      Henderson
      24 (27.6%)
      Lallana
      6 (6.9%)
      Balotelli
      4 (4.6%)
      Markovic
      4 (4.6%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Lambert
      0 (0%)
      Borini
      9 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Voting closed: Sep 16, 2014 07:32:41 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Villa: In game and Post Match Apocalypse

Read 29171 times
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Villa: In game and Post Match Apocalypse
      Reply #345: Sep 14, 2014 10:05:37 am
        we can't cope with Villa coming to Anfield, they became our 'home boogie team'
       I think we lack something when we play  with 2 CM (hendo-Gerrard yesterday) I think we needed another Midfielder (Allen-Lucas-Can) type
       Villa came with a blocking the midfield plan and they had success in that preventing gerrard and Henderson to dictate play
       well done to them
       we had some chances but we lacked precision and were unlucky sometimes too

Lets face it thanks to woy and his team we missed Daniel  and Sterling (from the start)
       new comers not bad , but need more time play together , I think

Nothing we can do now, Just look forward to next game , and its an important CL  return game
       we need to bounce back , to get a GOOD start

Hope we get this right

YNWA
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #346: Sep 14, 2014 10:31:19 am
      l still think we very weak in central midfielder, bit like last year,
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #347: Sep 14, 2014 10:42:57 am
      Looks like the world has ended for some. Wonder what they thought after we spanked Spurs?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #348: Sep 14, 2014 10:46:45 am
      Whilst owning the ball we didn't really make Guzan work and that's the worst part. I watched Chelsea with a jealous tint last night they played 3 1 touch passes in the box before the fullback fired a low cross for Costa to score. That's what we needed yesterday to open up there back 10, 1 touch quick precise passing in there box. The least you might get from that is a mistimed tackle to get a penalty from.

Again huge concerns about the sloppy goal. Whats worse is Senderos had a free header moments later and then they were in again shortly after from a set piece. It appears it doesn't matter what players we have on the pitch we just have no notion of how to deal with certain types of ball into our box. This is where, for me, now Brendan needs to bite the bullet and get a defensive coach in (Steve Clark f he'd come back)

So basically I think Villa exposed our 2 big faults but these faults can be put right and if/when they are we will be a very very good side.

Finally losing though a pain in the hole is not the end of the world, history has shown that its form from February on that counts once you stay on the coattails of the leaders. 34 games to go to make up 6 points lets not be throwing in any towels yet! 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #349: Sep 14, 2014 10:47:52 am
      It's going to take time to gel and the midweek internationals hasn't helped, to be honest looking at our first four fixtures I would of taken a draw at City and Spurs and two wins which only sees us two points down :-).

Said before the game the manager's job is made infinitesimally more difficult thanks to the ne'er do well antics of the laughingly called international coach.
      The demented owl b***ard is doing as much damage in his joke of job as he did when he was actually manager of LFC .
      Hodgson still has control of our destiny, whether it be in relation to the whole team or as now when his lack of judgement side-lines key players for weeks.
      A measure of the man's credibility is the sorry state of the England team right now, the only saving grace is the fact that there is no international league as such meaning England cannot be relegated.

BR had the unenviable task of juggling half-a-dozen recent signings and producing a passable semblance of experience in every quarter of the team, there were flashes of what can be achieved although the general performance was what you would expect from half-a-dozen recent signings etc etc.

For one reason or another it was a case of too many learners on the road at once....a crash is almost inevitable.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #350: Sep 14, 2014 10:56:01 am
      Of course you don't pretend "nothing happened" and yes the players will learn from it, but the players were not sh*te, Villa shut the door very effectively, it happens, remember City 0 Stoke 1 exactly the same. I see you left Coutinho out of your starting line up before the match and yet he was the one threatening to do something. Get over it.

Oh don't bite, bad helmet.

It wasn't good and everybody knows that but like Man City last week, our season isn't over because we got beat by Aston Villa or Stoke.

Of course 31 goals will be missed but it wasn't all Luis Suarez last year that got us to 2nd place just like it wasn't all him that got us no better than a top 6 finish the three years previous so people really need to start accepting that he has gone and that the side done very, very well after Christmas without having to rely heavily on him.

Let go and reminisce but don't make out everything would have been different with him in the side yesterday as that really is clutching at straws.

I agree that we need to move on and learn from the mistakes of yesterday and I'm sure every player will be pleased that we play again so soon. We were going to win the league two weeks ago so I'm not having that we are a poor side full of problems because of a bad day at the office. We have problems in defence, that much is evident and I really do hope it improves but when, not if, the beautiful attacking football returns we'll win more than what we will lose.

Hopefully the end of 4-2-3-1.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,293 posts | 1664 
      Reply #351: Sep 14, 2014 11:08:45 am
      Whilst owning the ball we didn't really make Guzan work and that's the worst part. I watched Chelsea with a jealous tint last night they played 3 1 touch passes in the box before the fullback fired a low cross for Costa to score. That's what we

needed yesterday to open up there back 10, 1 touch quick precise passing in there box. The least you might get from that is a mistimed

tackle to get a penalty from.

Again huge concerns about the sloppy goal. Whats worse is Senderos had a free header moments later and then they were in again shortly after from a set piece. It appears it doesn't matter what players we have on the pitch we just have no notion of how to deal with certain types of ball into our box. This is where, for me, now Brendan needs to bite the bullet and get a defensive coach in (Steve Clark f he'd come back)

So basically I think Villa exposed our 2 big faults but these faults can be put right and if/when they are we will be a very very good side.

Finally losing though a pain in the hole is not the end of the world, history has shown that its form from February on that counts once you

Do you mean them faults which have
       been there for about 6 years and you
       still say we need to address them .Will we be saying this next year as well ??

stay on the coattails of the leaders. 34 games to go to make up 6 points lets not be throwing in any towels yet! 

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #352: Sep 14, 2014 11:29:17 am
      There is no point in having a stronger overall squad if your weakened first XI is now struggling to win games.

Oh right, how did we get on against Chelsea and Villa last season then? You know with the quality over quantity that we had?

EDIT why delete the post CR? Or have I just asked the question you didn't want to be asked?

Just so people don't think I'm going nuts

I cannot believe you cannot see it. It was not just a bad day at the office. Everything happens for a reason and we lost for a reason - not because of bad luck.

If you look at the teams we tend to excel against it is the more attacking teams who tend to leave bigger gaps in defence. Think Tottenham or Arsenal for example. Neither rely solely on organisation like Chelsea did and Villa now do. When well organised teams like Villa take the lead, it is hen a struggle just to get a goal let alone any kind of result. Especially when you do it without any world class players on the pitch.

We have spent a ton of money but opted for quantity over quality. I've said that from the start and I'm pretty convinced I'll be saying that by the 38th game week.

There is no point in having a stronger overall squad if your weakened first XI is now struggling to win games.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #353: Sep 14, 2014 11:34:34 am
      Of course you don't pretend "nothing happened" and yes the players will learn from it, but the players were not sh*te, Villa shut the door very effectively, it happens, remember City 0 Stoke 1 exactly the same. I see you left Coutinho out of your starting line up before the match and yet he was the one threatening to do something. Get over it.

The players were not sh*te?

Villa deserve credit, sure, but with the talent we supposedly have, I'd expect us to be able to break them down. We paid big money for players that can do such a job, so to lose to Villa in the way we did is incredibly disappointing, especially when you consider we only had one shot on target.

We cannot use excuses such as "the opposition were well organised" or "they parked the bus". It's up to us to get the result, and we failed. Let's see what happens against West Ham next weekend.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #354: Sep 14, 2014 11:39:22 am
      Oh right, how did we get on against Chelsea and Villa last season then? You know with the quality over quantity that we had?

EDIT why delete the post CR? Or have I just asked the question you didn't want to be asked?

How did we get on against Chelsea and Villa last season? Poorly again, because both came and were well organised. However we managed a draw against Villa which was one better than we have done this season.

We needed to continue building the team around Suarez. Look at how Chelsea are on fire with Costa in their team. It's knowing what you are up against that makes defenders lose their composure and discipline. Yet we sold Suarez, didn't get in Samchez or Reus but instead brought in younger, less experienced players who are not use to such expectations. It's a new culture for them, so I'm not expecting big things from us this season.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #355: Sep 14, 2014 11:39:22 am
      The players were not sh*te?

Villa deserve credit, sure, but with the talent we supposedly have, I'd expect us to be able to break them down. We paid big money for players that can do such a job, so to lose to Villa in the way we did is incredibly disappointing, especially when you consider we only had one shot on target.

We cannot use excuses such as "the opposition were well organised" or "they parked the bus". It's up to us to get the result, and we failed. Let's see what happens against West Ham next weekend.

Ah, you're a F***ing sell out lad. Bullshitter and a fake. Making things up and then deleting them before posting different things.

Weirdo.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #356: Sep 14, 2014 11:47:11 am
      Ah, you're a f**king sell out lad. Bullshitter and a fake. Making things up and then deleting them before posting different things.

Weirdo.

A F***ing sell out lad? Bullshitter and a fake? :lmao:

Sober up mate.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #357: Sep 14, 2014 11:48:39 am
      When our new players bed in and gel and Balotelli is fully fit, we will win the league
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #358: Sep 14, 2014 12:05:15 pm
      Watching the game again and we definitely missed the movement of Sturridge and Sterling badly. Our front four weren't doing enough to get into space or drag their defenders around and Markovic in particular spent the whole game passing sideways which was disappointing. Bit of a silly decision to rest Raheem just when Sturridge got injured but hey it happens.

Balotelli definitely looked like he needed some support up there, doesn't strike me as a striker who can do it on his own which is a big worry with Sturridge being so injury prone. Also gets me thinking that we're still short in the attacking department as I don't see Lambert or Borini being effective with Mario up top.

Also have to start wondering if we're short in the middle of the park again, if teams shut down Gerrard then we really struggle to get the ball moving and we find it hard to raise the tempo. Henderson's a great little player but he's not the creative spark we need there (when we play 4-2-3-1). Don't see Allen filling that role either but it will be interesting to see how Can does if we use him there when he's fit.

Defence was shaky again, Lovren defends set pieces like he never had to defend one at Southampton and Sakho looked very nervous (but he passed it well). Moreno looks like he has an error in him but he's exciting going forward and hopefully as he settles the mistakes will start to disappear. Surprised at the Manquillo praise as bar a few decent crosses I thought he was sloppy but again with time he could be a decent player.

No doubt that there were far too many new players yesterday but with the Sturridge and Allen injuries there wasn't much we could have done. Just have to grit our teeth and get on with it and hopefully the busy schedule will be a blessing in disguise and help the new lads settle.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #359: Sep 14, 2014 12:06:10 pm
      Well, i am gobsmacked. Never ever expected this result yesterday, even with their record at Anfield. I thought we'd have more than enough to kick out of this.

Have to agree with Brian78, we are in dire need of a defensive coach. I've said it since Brendan arrived here and nothing has changed, what the F**k does Colin Pascoe actually do? We need to F**k him out and get Steve Clarke back, an actual ex-defender who knows how to organize. The man is in contention possibly for the Leeds job so we need to move quickly. If not, then Gerrard has to have a word with Carra.

It's all well and good buying top class defenders but they have to have somebody there to drill and organize them. Defensively we are a shambles at the moment and have been since last Season.

Another problem i see is that when we play with the one striker, the opposition centre backs have a field day because they only have one threat to worry about. It happened against City where Sturridge was isolated on his own and the same thing happened yesterday with Balotelli. Against Spurs with both Sturridge and Balotelli playing they caused havoc with the centre backs, they pulled them all over the place, which in turn created space for others.

I'm not going to lie, i am getting worried. Especially with the extra pressure of the Champions League. I was hoping that the defensive issues would have been ironed out over the Summer but it seems to be more of the same.

We can't afford to lose many more games and we're only 4 games into the League campaign.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #360: Sep 14, 2014 12:07:13 pm
      My thoughts On yesterday

- We missed Studge terribly, Balotelli is a decent player but like Lambert he does much of his best work with his back to goal. We missed Danny's ability to get turned and run at players and the threat he provides in behind

- given that Danny was missing it surely would have been a better call to start Raheem, regardless of our Tuesday night fixture. The league is more important surely? I think that was a mistake, it meant we were missing our two most direct players and it meant we played most of the game in front of Villa. I can't really recall that we go them turned more than a couple of times.

- I thought Lallana looked bright for a player who hasn't played in months. Markovic will take a bit of time I think. Really disappointed with Coutinho, he came Alive a bit during the last ten minutes but he hasn't looked anything like the player who dazzled in pre-season.

- Hats off to them, they defended superbly throughout. I wish we looked as solid at set pieces as they did. I don't think we will have many clean sheets this season so we need to start banging in the goals.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #361: Sep 14, 2014 12:10:56 pm
      In another thread I said I think a top four finish is still the target this season for THIS squad. Because Brendan has to start again with new players and wait for them to gel and the role they're supposed to play. Admittedly I think the signings we have made are suitable for each role and therefore will gel quicker but not straight away.

Yesterday was a glimpse of a team which didn't really know what it was supposed to do. There was no penetrative movement from the likes of Henderson, Markovic and Balotelli. We had possession but could have had another 45 minutes with the ball and might have not scored.

Our defense was poor but what's new, Rodgers system is there to score goals and that we didn't do. Imo we should have kept with the diamond and went with 2 up top, we should have learned from experience that Villa can score against us, so we'd of needed to he high scoring,

Sterling

Balotelli Lambert

Would have given them a lot more to worry about but hindsight is a great thing and if Sterling got injured in the game, I know some people would blame Rodgers for not resting him.

All in all our performance lacked a sharp edge and that may be due to numerous factors, new faces, different roles, international period but we need to stay with it because this team will come good it just needs a bit more time, more time than some would like to think to gel.

On to the next one.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #362: Sep 14, 2014 12:50:29 pm
      Does anyone else think couthinio is just not good enough? I've thought this for a while but our results last season seemed to hide this,yes he has some great moments ,but like today he had so much ball yet very little impact,hope I'm proven wrong but I don't think he is good enough,very disappointed today :-[

Does the lack of response answer your F***ing stupid enquiry??
      He was within a hair's breadth of claiming an equaliser, possibly the nearest we came to a goal.
      How many on the field yesterday had more opportunity than him and failed to capitalise yet you single him out for criticism?
      You'd be trampled in the rush if he were transfer listed!
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2014 01:02:01 pm by stuey »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #363: Sep 14, 2014 01:08:01 pm
      but we need to stay with it because this team will come good it just needs a bit more time, more time than some would like to think to gel.
      Genuine question vs: why do you think "some" were foolish enough to think it would take less time - do you think the fact that we specifically targeted the 'right' players and players who 'fit' clouded their judgement maybe? Or something else?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #364: Sep 14, 2014 01:21:35 pm
      Genuine question vs: why do you think "some" were foolish enough to think it would take less time - do you think the fact that we specifically targeted the 'right' players and players who 'fit' clouded their judgement maybe? Or something else?

I am not sure maybe in blinded hope that we'd be closer to the tittle after how close we were last season, some may not want to admit we might not get closer this season.

But we have strengthened there is no doubt about it so when the team does gel, we will be that step closer. Just have to be patient.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #365: Sep 14, 2014 01:33:28 pm
      There is a school of thought that would advise throwing so many untried numbers in at the deep end in a reserve team game, even then a balance of experience would be essential for an end result.
      In no way can the manager be blamed for a selection more of necessity than choice, experience has a price in the transfer market and setting a perceived ceiling on what you are prepared to pay also carries a price.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #366: Sep 14, 2014 01:48:08 pm
      I am not sure maybe in blinded hope that we'd be closer to the tittle after how close we were last season...
      Sorry I'm not getting you mate.

Are you saying that it was just 'blind hope' [and not the fact that we were told that any and all players we bought were specifically targeted because they were the right player and a proper fit (not just names)] which led many of us to believe it would take less time for these players to gel?

Because if you are (and I can only answer for myself here) you are wrong - I might have been a mug to have believed that but I don't do 'blind hope'.  ;D

some may not want to admit we might not get closer this season.
      Hmm..

There's been an awful lot of double-speak on these boards - an awful lot of folk saying how happy they were/are with our signings and how they'd improve us but very little talk of us winning anything.

So in a way, you are right; "some may not want to admit we might not get closer this season" [tho' by "closer" you probably mean "do as well as last season"] but I'd add that they also don't want to be honest as to why, deep down, they believe that.

The fact is: if 'we' were genuinely happy with our signings; if we genuinely believed that not only were they chosen because they fit but also because they were 'improvers', then 'we' wouldn't be making any excuse [well in advance by the way] as to why this team, with all our new and better signings won't improve on last season.

But we have strengthened there is no doubt about it so when the team does gel, we will be that step closer.
      I think there's plenty of doubt that we have strengthened mate; hence the excuses. What there's no doubt about is that not many have the balls to say it out loud.  ;)

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2014 01:59:26 pm by bad boy bubby »
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #367: Sep 14, 2014 02:01:13 pm
      A day later, and I'm still pissed off. We were crap. One dimensional attack, idiotic passing decisions, slow start, slow buildup, slow ending. We didn't really turn it up until the 75th minute or so. We had nobody on the pitch, including our captain and other leaders, to grab control of the game and the team.

In fairness, Aston Villa, for some reason, have a great recent record at Anfield, but that was bullshit. We're supposed to be the team that was inches from the title last year. And on a related note: The mentality of the players was clearly poor -- too focused on Tuesday's Champions League match and not nearly focused enough on basic football things like defending and putting shots on target. So aggravating. So so aggravating.

We were just plain bad yesterday. But we'll be alright. The talent is there and it will flow.

Quick Reply