Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mignolet
      1 (1.1%)
      Manquillo
      9 (10.3%)
      Moreno
      1 (1.1%)
      Lovren
      3 (3.4%)
      Sakho
      3 (3.4%)
      Gerrard
      6 (6.9%)
      Coutinho
      17 (19.5%)
      Henderson
      24 (27.6%)
      Lallana
      6 (6.9%)
      Balotelli
      4 (4.6%)
      Markovic
      4 (4.6%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Lambert
      0 (0%)
      Borini
      9 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Voting closed: Sep 16, 2014 07:32:41 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Villa: In game and Post Match Apocalypse

Read 28972 times
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Villa: In game and Post Match Apocalypse
      Reply #368: Sep 14, 2014 02:11:45 pm
      Once is careless, twice is disturbing, 3 times and I'm lost for words.

I never thought we could be THAT bad. I mean Villa werent THAT far off the relegation zone for a lot of last yr.

I know we had 3 or even 5 players who've barely played for the club. And many players who are VERY VERY young.
      But we REALLY looked like we missed Luis.

I was really disappointed in most areas of the team.

Most telling was BR's post match interview.
      http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9469323/rodgers:-we-started-too-slow

Words to the effect "we have 1/3rd of the budget of some of our competitors".
      Perhaps BR has decided he wants to be a winner, not a "company man". After, we had a real (relative!) success last yr. A great foundation. But all we had was a modest net spend and a game of Switcheroo. A couple of steps forward... and a couple or so back.

So much for the "we had this money to spend even without the Suarez sale". I wonder if BR is building up to a Rafa style "I am concentrating on coaching my team ... x 20".

I'll send him a tracksuit to wear, if he has any doubts...  ;)

Seriously we have some really promising young players. But Stevie is a faded shadow of his former self. Henderson is good, but no Pogba or Toure and isnt enough to build a team round.  Balotelli, is a HUGELY different player to Luis, and even tho he has some wonderful skills, he doesnt look like a lynchpin.

Far too much expectation is placed on Raheem. (And will be placed on Markovich) etc.

If we look at our rivals squads, there is some cause for concern.

Maybe Raheem COULD carry us just like LUis did last yr. But its a VERY unfair demand or expectation to place on him.
      I mean he hasnt even developed his goalscoring yet.

I wonder what BR's January plans are..

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #369: Sep 14, 2014 02:33:40 pm
      So much doom and gloom after every defeat on here!  The way I see it is that we are still a work in progress this season, I believe we will continue to grow as the season progresses.
      I saw a lot if positive yesterday, Markovic showed that he is very attack minded, and will run at defences. It was only his final ball that let him down in that respect. A good run in the side,  and he'll fit right in.

Lallana looked a little rusty, but still shows glimpses of his class. Mario needs a partner up front with him,  someone to do most of the hard work for him so he can reap the benefits. Mario will get better as the team gells IMO.
      Moreno is going to be some player for us,  he puts in one hell of a shift!  Manquillo looked a lot more confident yesterday, he was my MOTM.

Still not sure about Sakho, I find myself getting nervous when he's in possession . Skrtle is still better .
      Hendo didn't get much time or space to be as influential as he can be,  but we know how good he can be, so no worries there.

As for Stevie, thought he was pretty average, but not terrible.

We dominated the game as usual, and bad defending cost us as usual. This is still the big worry for me, we're not being beaten by world class strikes on goal, it's still dodgy defending. Seems this area is not BR's strong point, the defence still shows no sign of defending!

Like I said the team hasn't gelled yet,  when they do we'll be back to our unstoppable best. N
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,890 posts | 815 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #370: Sep 14, 2014 02:44:52 pm
      Sorry I'm not getting you mate.

Are you saying that it was just 'blind hope' [and not the fact that we were told that any and all players we bought were specifically targeted because they were the right player and a proper fit (not just names)] which led many of us to believe it would take less time for these players to gel?

Because if you are (and I can only answer for myself here) you are wrong - I might have been a mug to have believed that but I don't do 'blind hope'.  ;D

Not just that mate, yes the signings we made were specific to help the team gel  easier but i do think some will expect us to reach the heights of last season or surpass them because of how close we were last season. That desperate feeling that because it happened last season it can happen again, therefore the team should just gel, maybe not you but some.

The fact is: if 'we' were genuinely happy with our signings; if we genuinely believed that not only were they chosen because they fit but also because they were 'improvers', then 'we' wouldn't be making any excuse [well in advance by the way] as to why this team, with all our new and better signings won't improve on last season.

But i am genuinely happy with our signings, whether you deem it as an excuse or not, i don't see the team gelling instantly because their are a lot of new faces expected to all play together and flow, its harder than it sounds.

Someone may argue look at Chelsea, but they didn't loose their best player nor did they sign many first team players all they did was bring in two signings which helped push their team that step further, had we kept Suarez maybe that would of been all that was needed of us, however it was not the case and instead we needed more quality and more depth in our additions, consequently it will take a bit more time.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #371: Sep 14, 2014 03:13:25 pm
      Think we are going to run away with this today, going for 5-0, come on you Red Men.

Oh was I wrong, should go with my head not my heart.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #372: Sep 14, 2014 03:15:45 pm
      Origi scores for Lille. The type of cross and goal that we needed yesterday to unlock that shitblock of a defense.

Need to bounce back and get the quick passing high tempo game back. We lost 1 player, but I think the addition of 6 new players yesterday is the main issue. A lot to bed in to system. Heres hoping they can quick. Resting players like Sterling at this stage was the biggest mistake, playing 1 upfront was the other. Would have started with 2 upfront for sure. Borini may have been that one, although he did nothing when he was given his chance - albeit in a difficult game.

Origi's goal. He got an assist too.
      https://vine.co/v/Oadv0JVh07Y
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #373: Sep 14, 2014 04:11:35 pm
      Interestingly, I dont think we tried the direct cross for Balotelli ONCE yesterday.

In terms of net spend we've barely changed from last yr. Yes there's more depth. But some commentators recognise our success was built round an ok/"good" team carried by one megastar. Balotelli just isn't a Suarez replacement. Some great skills, but he's just not the sort to carry the burden of a team on his shoulders. Thats not a condemnation of him. Its just an observation of his career up until now.  Ian Rush was similar in that respect. Rush was a fantastic player and carried us in terms of goals. But the team didn't revolve around him in any other way.

The fullbacks, Markovich, Sterling, Can, Hendo, Countinho are all very young. Even Balotelli and Sturridge arent THAT experienced.
      From  that pt of view, sometimes we look like a posh "nursery club" rather than a team looking to win stuff.

Everything in the setup worked last yr because Luis was the "forward engine room" (yes a new phrase but it sums him up) he was the creator, the motivator, the finisher, the fear factor. He was also the deadlock breaker, the scorer of goals that you think "how the hell did THAT happen".

I can see what Balo will bring (hopefully most games rather than SOME), but I just cant see him filling some of the gaps created by Luis's departure.

This isnt a player replacement season. Its a REBUILD.

So to me, questions REALLY have to be asked if the Villa underperformance isnt remedied very very soon.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #374: Sep 14, 2014 04:32:28 pm
      With all due respect, what the f*ck you on about mate, I have not mentioned luis at all? and was replying to Coutinhored. I agree with what you say in the last part and I said the same to him about City vs Stoke???.

Ha ha only the first line was meant for you.

Apologies for the confusion.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,892 posts | 4963 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #375: Sep 14, 2014 04:42:05 pm
      Bad day at the office yesterday and two things to consider for blame, 1, to many changes at once, 2, Villas tactics were better than Brendan's, they came with a game plan to park the bus hit us on the break and use set pieces to their advantage, and that's exactly what they did,
      I think on reflection dropping Raheem was a mistake when you consider Lallana was making his bow and hadn't played with either Balo nor Lazar except at melwood,

As many have said it's not the end of the world but we cannot afford many more slip ups or mediocre performances like yesterday,  I think this season will be another learning curve having to deal with the league and cl games, and losing key players like sturridge, Allen & Can will be more challenging,

I'm not complaining far from it, it's what we have all missed, so let's put yesterday's bad day behind us and set about Ludogorets and put a marker down in the CL.

YNWA
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #376: Sep 14, 2014 05:19:44 pm
      Predictably, some of the reactions ARE over the top. We did lose our way a bit from set-pieces yesterday, but that was the first goal we've let in from them I think in our first four matches, so we're not quite the accident waiting to happen that some are claiming. The whole defence is copping a bit of flak today, but considering we've conceded a total of that one goal in our last two matches, I think people are being a little harsh.

I posted a few thoughts in the Brendan thread about where I felt we'd gone a bit wrong, I'm sure Brendan is going through the game with a fine tooth comb and no doubt he'll suss it our properly, but here's my amateur analysis:

Probably a bigger problem for me though than Sterling not playing was how adversely the adaption of essentially a 4-5-1 formation impacted on our fluency. The rampaging Moreno from the previous week was transformed into a stuttering should I stay or should I go full back, while Manquilo looked as if he had no clue whatsoever what was going on when going forward. The issue was Lalana on the left and Markovic on the right taking up the space these guys would normally run into, with Markovic in particular being reluctant to come inside and free up any space.

Henderson sitting alongside Gerrard was a disaster, offering neither defensive stability nor any attacking intent. As I've said before I feel in these situations where often both Weiman and Agbonlahor were marking Gerrard, Henderson has to do more with his passing, take much more responsibility and use the space he is inevitably given.

I would like to have seen us be bolder in selection, play Sterling up top with Balotelli. The big Italian also has to do much better than he did yesterday, although were it not for some very poor refereeing he would have got Senderos sent off (will the FA review that violent kick off the ball? They surely will). From there I'd have sat Gerrard in as normal, and narrowed up the midfield through Lalana and Henderson (no Markovic), with Coutinho in the 10. All this would have allowed us to get our two fullbacks into the game at pace, to stretch it out a bit.

Equally, while we're talking responsibility I'd like to see Dejan Lovren carry the ball a little more when his outball is limited. He has the ability and the mere fact that he may be about to consider it would make it far more difficult for the opposition to sit on Gerrard.

All in all it was a flat and tired performance, where we allowed the zest of the Villa midfielders to completely stifle our play. A little more composure on the ball, a little more bravery in possession was what was needed. Hopefully we'll learn from it and move on. 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #377: Sep 14, 2014 05:33:42 pm
      I'm pissed off with the result like all of you but its just one of those games where the team don't get going plus the ball just doesn't roll for you, the amount of crosses and passes that nearly made it though must have been so irritating for the players and that kind of frustration builds and builds over the course of a game, plus Villa are now our confirmed bogey team, I imagine they would happily swap Villa park for Anfield :-).

I also see lots of positives in this team and just think the team needs a bit more time to gel, we simply cannot expect to win every single game there is, it just won't happen these days, the premiership is so much more competitive than it used to be.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #378: Sep 14, 2014 05:54:24 pm

Have to agree with Brian78, we are in dire need of a defensive coach. I've said it since Brendan arrived here and nothing has changed, what the f**k does Colin Pascoe actually do? We need to f**k him out and get Steve Clarke back, an actual ex-defender who knows how to organize. The man is in contention possibly for the Leeds job so we need to move quickly. If not, then Gerrard has to have a word with Carra.

Yeah, in general would agree. We've added decent defenders like Lovren and Moreno, but we still look loose at set pieces, and not just at start of this year. But it's not just defenders who are responsible for defending them, everyone needs to know their role.
      In mitigation, new players are bedding in, it'll take time.  Again. But especially in the first 20-30 mins yest we looked ragged. Once Villa got the goal, they sat back. If we had scored, based on how we played, they would probably have pushed forward again and given us similar trouble.

For me though a bit more concerned about the new attacking signings. When you look at how Costa and Fabregas have done at Chelsea, hit the ground running and played great, a big factor in their great start. Already making a big contribution. That is the bar I compare Lallana/Markovic against, our big money signings. Again, it is very early days, but they will need to improve hugely on yesterday. Imo the defenders are the ones showing the early form, but lots of games coming up for the new boys to show their worth, show some courage on the ball. Make things happen - not just pass it back and across. Up to now it's the guys from last season we're still depending on ...
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,699 posts | 565 
      Reply #379: Sep 14, 2014 06:15:02 pm
      Lovren, Manquillo, Moreno, Markovic, Ballotelli, Llana
      All pretty much getting to know each other - TOO MANY

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #380: Sep 14, 2014 06:37:50 pm
      Lovren, Manquillo, Moreno, Markovic, Ballotelli, Llana
      All pretty much getting to know each other - TOO MANY

Exactly what I thought. We had six new players  on the field and two of them(Lallana and Markovic) were starting a gamefor the first time. The fact that Aston Villa did not play at all after their goal did not help. I'm not worried at all that we'll compete this season. My only concern is Coutinho who is not living up to expectations. He has produced nothing good so far this season.

carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #381: Sep 14, 2014 07:00:35 pm
      Exactly what I thought. We had six new players  on the field and two of them(Lallana and Markovic) were starting a gamefor the first time. The fact that Aston Villa did not play at all after their goal did not help. I'm not worried at all that we'll compete this season. My only concern is Coutinho who is not living up to expectations. He has produced nothing good so far this season.

Agrre 100% apart from the Coutinho bit
       He did not play well as most of those on the pitch, but I think he was our best , after Hendo yesterday, In my opinion

Now this game has gone and in 28 ours we will be at Anfield again, European nights are back, , A good performance and win will somehow make yestardays defeat a little bit easier to digest

YNWA
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #382: Sep 14, 2014 07:05:22 pm
      My main worry is that there are a lot of relative newbies in the team.... it may take a while for them to gain an understanding.

As I said before the game so many new arrivals in the team was always going to take time to settle in, by the time they did we were a goal down and struggling against a well drilled defensive formation.

I don't agree that we were piss poor, we didn't play well but it was the lack of any goal threat which cost us.

I think we have to play with two strikers.... even if that means Borini or Lambert get a game, as our midfield just don't score enough.

falkirk_bairn
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #383: Sep 14, 2014 07:13:28 pm
      Really disappointing yesterday, I thought it was going to be a 3 or 4-0 job. Overall I will put it down to a bad day at the office but we can't afford to many of them over the season.

I think Brendan has to take most of the blame, too many new faces at the one time and there was no real reason not to start Sterling.

Forget about it and lets hope it was just a bad day.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #384: Sep 14, 2014 08:18:50 pm
      Agrre 100% apart from the Coutinho bit
       He did not play well as most of those on the pitch, but I think he was our best , after Hendo yesterday, In my opinion
       YNWA

With you there. After Hendo, next in (short) line for MOTM (after slow start, had few shots/hit post, and looked way more likely than tentative Lallana/Markovic to unlock defense)
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #385: Sep 14, 2014 08:24:40 pm
      Really disappointing yesterday, I thought it was going to be a 3 or 4-0 job.
      So did I mate...
      but Paul Lambert got his game plan spot on and his midfield ran the game first half.. and your not telling me that the orders to his two centre halves we're to wind Ballotelli up and wind him up they did..
      It was so annoying that we had so much of the ball and just couldn't find the net..
      I just hope we don't see similar tactics from visiting teams this season.. Last season we would pound their goal right from the off and get that early goal or goals..
      Christ so many games last season at home we we're 2,3-0 up at half time..We we're 4-0 against Arsenal after 20 minutes !! as was the derby !
      Sahko got in Ballotellis way loads of times at crosses yesterday, mind you with the same hair cut you could only just tell..ha.

I've always hated the first game back after an international break.. I know it shouldn't really be an excuse but we we're a different team who won at Tottenham..
      Win on Tuesday and it's all forgotten about !!

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,138 posts | 4893 
      Reply #386: Sep 14, 2014 10:58:15 pm
      Missed the game.

Missed the highlights.

Had to listen to sh*te from mancs all day.

Going to just forget this one ever happened.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #387: Sep 15, 2014 05:08:04 am
      Balotelli was way too isolated, same thing when Sturridge was by himself against City and Southampton. Obviously Sturridge is out so I think we need to stick a player directly next to Balotelli as the other striker. It could be Lambert or Borini but I would personally try Sterling first.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #388: Sep 15, 2014 07:31:04 am
      Missed the game.

Missed the highlights.

Had to listen to sh*te from mancs all day.

Going to just forget this one ever happened.

Lost weekend mate.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #389: Sep 15, 2014 09:06:53 am
      Once is careless, twice is disturbing, 3 times and I'm lost for words.

I never thought we could be THAT bad. I mean Villa werent THAT far off the relegation zone for a lot of last yr.

I know we had 3 or even 5 players who've barely played for the club. And many players who are VERY VERY young.
      But we REALLY looked like we missed Luis.

I was really disappointed in most areas of the team.

Most telling was BR's post match interview.
      http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9469323/rodgers:-we-started-too-slow

Words to the effect "we have 1/3rd of the budget of some of our competitors".
      Perhaps BR has decided he wants to be a winner, not a "company man". After, we had a real (relative!) success last yr. A great foundation. But all we had was a modest net spend and a game of Switcheroo. A couple of steps forward... and a couple or so back.

So much for the "we had this money to spend even without the Suarez sale". I wonder if BR is building up to a Rafa style "I am concentrating on coaching my team ... x 20".

I'll send him a tracksuit to wear, if he has any doubts...  ;)

Seriously we have some really promising young players. But Stevie is a faded shadow of his former self. Henderson is good, but no Pogba or Toure and isnt enough to build a team round.  Balotelli, is a HUGELY different player to Luis, and even tho he has some wonderful skills, he doesnt look like a lynchpin.

Far too much expectation is placed on Raheem. (And will be placed on Markovich) etc.

If we look at our rivals squads, there is some cause for concern.

Maybe Raheem COULD carry us just like LUis did last yr. But its a VERY unfair demand or expectation to place on him.
      I mean he hasnt even developed his goalscoring yet.

I wonder what BR's January plans are..

We just looked absolutely clueless. We have gone from SAS to Lambert and Borini. Neither player should be at the club even.

Markovic, Balotelli, Lallana etc these players you would expect to offer more than they did.

Has been pretty painful watching certain marquee players excel last weekend.. Sanchez, Fabregas, Costa, Di Maria. But of course, a marquee player is just a big name player as some of these forum users like to put it.

Wake up and smell the coffee guys.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #390: Sep 15, 2014 09:16:04 am
      Looked a lot like the team 2 years ago, running around like headless chickens with no real direction. I have faith in time the new boys will settle in and we'll start to see some results. And hey, we're still 3 points better off than last season I believe.

Quick Reply