Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      66 (47.1%)
      Manquillo
      18 (12.9%)
      Lovren
      2 (1.4%)
      Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Gerrard
      9 (6.4%)
      Henderson
      18 (12.9%)
      Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Sterling
      2 (1.4%)
      Balotelli
      20 (14.3%)
      Lallana
      1 (0.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Borini
      4 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: Sep 20, 2014 09:49:44 pm

LFC 2-1 Ludogorets Razgrad: In game and Post Match Discussion

Read 40642 times
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: LFC 2-1 Ludogorets Razgrad: In game and Post Match Discussion
      Reply #644: Sep 17, 2014 02:34:31 pm
      We were lucky last night. While we were better than last Saturday, so was the opposition. They could play a bit and certainly had their chances. Every time the opposition seem to attack these days, I seem to get worried, especially set pieces.

Stand out players for me were the fullbacks -Manquillo & Moreno & also Henderson. The rest tbh I don't thinkreally earned their money.

Sahko was having a good game until his gaffe nearly cos us the tie. Lovren wasn;t great either. Both could have done better for the goal, along with Moreno. The goal we conceded was terrible to give away, Lucas was caught walking and Gerrard was in no mans land. 2 passes and we are cut open. Sahko had to save Lovren a few times too with covering tackles - a standout feature of our defence this season. Don't get me started on what Mignolet was doing for the goal. Although to be fair to Mignolet, he was doing well up to that point and caught some good crosses, including the last one. What he was doing for the goal tho - brainless. The fullbacks got up & down the pitch well and bought were assured in the tackle. Both also made some crucial interceptions or goal saving tackles - notably Moreno just before our first. Maquillo loves a tackle, and a booking! but looks solid enough. Moreno I like a lot, already. And extra pace & width which is key, especially if we use the diamond in the future (hopefully). 

Midfield, Gerrard was poor enough again this season. Positioning, set-piece delivery, passing were all sub standard. Good penalty. Coutinho got better as the game went on, while still being poor overall. Some of his early passing was the worst I've seen from him in a red shirt. Still needs work on his shooting. I have faith in him to up his game tho. Henderson I thought was good. Got around the pitch well. Could evidently be seen attacking & tracking back, and winning the ball. Lucas was awful when he came on. At fault. partially, for their goal.That shot was horrific. Lallana doesn't look fit at all. Drifted in & out of the game. had some nice turns but unable to do anything after that. Seems like he lacks the turn of pace after a turn, like we'll say Sterling would have. Sterling himself had a quiet night out wide. Looked better in the 10, but quiet overall.

Up front, Balotelli did well when he got the ball, but that was little. Doesn't make the runs but you do have confidence in him when he gets it. He seemed to be playing a target man role last night to me. Is that bringing out the best in him? I don't think so. Again, the diamond formation suits him. Took the goal well in fairness. Borini - didn't notice him apart from the header tbh.

Lucky win. But at least we got the 3 points & off the mark.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #645: Sep 17, 2014 02:45:50 pm
      I think we went in to the game thinking it would be an easy one and they'd be pushovers. Congrats to Mario on his first goal and well in to Manquillo for being that high up so late in the game and winning the penalty.

We sneaked it, not pretty but we got there and it's 3 points in the bag. Moreno MOTM for me. There needs to be more communication between the full backs and Mignolet, shocking error on his part for the goal.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #646: Sep 17, 2014 03:07:37 pm
      We've had ONE major change from last yr. A 16m player instead of a 75m one in the team we field.
      You don't need to be a mixture of Paisley, Rafa and Sherlock Holmes to work out there might be a problem with this "tactic".

McFly's little minions can moan all they want. But the net spend was f**k all. AGAIN.

I may be wrong, but I'm not aware of any rule that allows you to field more than 11 players on the pitch at once. So I think any claims of "ahh the Luis money bought us lots of players" can be placed firmly in the bin.

And for the record, I don't think we ever said "wow we're really lacking Sturridge today". Sturr is a good player, but everyone knows who the team revolved around.

Any bullshit about "time to bed in" we need to remember that the season actually starts in August. And our rivals are already "bedded in". You can't write to the FA when we miss out of Europe and say "oh can we count our points from November, because the early games weren't fair..."

It'll be interesting to see how Sterling, Balo and Sturr actually work together. But regardless of that, the fans were mugged off over the Summer.

Absolutely agree. To assume he isn't Luis' replacement is a dire attempt to play down just how much we've weakened up top. The team against the Spuds saw us go two up top, reinforced by that so called polished diamond. If we had Luis Suarez still, I'm pretty sure we would have deployed pretty much the same team and the same formation.

-----

I've emphasised this many times - I'm a firm believer in bringing in no more than 3 maybe 4 players into the team. I think it unsettles the balance of the team and you have to start again. Let's consider the XI out against Villa - Lovren, Manquillo, Moreno, Lallana, Markovic, Balotelli. £93m worth of new talent in our team.

Banned or not. I would not have sold Suarez.. not until someone of a sir milaquality came available. l

And for FSG to claim that they wanted to keep him is complete nonsense. They wanted to cash in and get those hefty wages off the book, just like they have done with Reina and Agger.

I think the funds came available and Brendan tried to over emphasise on squad depth. Effectively we are now going through a transition phase.

This post covers everything that needs to be said about yesterday. Someone should print it and send it
      "FAO the Foureyed T**t, Boston".

I've nothing else to add re the match.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #647: Sep 17, 2014 03:15:10 pm
      We've had ONE major change from last yr. A 16m player instead of a 75m one in the team we field.
      You don't need to be a mixture of Paisley, Rafa and Sherlock Holmes to work out there might be a problem with this "tactic".

That's just plain false.

6 of the players that started against Villa and 5 of the players that started against Ludogorets were signed in the summer.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #648: Sep 17, 2014 03:32:53 pm
      People really need top stop blaming the sale of Suarez for the manner of our performances so far this season. Even if he remained we would still be facing the same situation we have in four of the last five games, if not to a worse degree. He would still be banned and Sturridge would still be injured but in that scenario we would be relying on Borini and Lambert rather than Balotelli. Suarez has moved on and so should a lot of fans.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #649: Sep 17, 2014 03:37:04 pm
      Fascinating that despite being 'surplus to requirements' Borini came on ahead of Lambert last night.

Suggests to me that Fabio was getting sold for financial reasons and not footballing reasons... Thoughts?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #650: Sep 17, 2014 03:43:54 pm
      We've had ONE major change from last yr. A 16m player instead of a 75m one in the team we field.You don't need to be a mixture of Paisley, Rafa and Sherlock Holmes to work out there might be a problem with this "tactic".McFly's little minions can moan all they want. But the net spend was f**k all. AGAIN.I may be wrong, but I'm not aware of any rule that allows you to field more than 11 players on the pitch at once. So I think any claims of "ahh the Luis money bought us lots of players" can be placed firmly in the bin.And for the record, I don't think we ever said "wow we're really lacking Sturridge today". Sturr is a good player, but everyone knows who the team revolved around.Any bullshit about "time to bed in" we need to remember that the season actually starts in August. And our rivals are already "bedded in". You can't write to the FA when we miss out of Europe and say "oh can we count our points from November, because the early games weren't fair..."It'll be interesting to see how Sterling, Balo and Sturr actually work together. But regardless of that, the fans were mugged off over the Summer.Quote from CoutinhoRed on Today at 10:01:37 AMAbsolutely agree. To assume he isn't Luis' replacement is a dire attempt to play down just how much we've weakened up top. The team against the Spuds saw us go two up top, reinforced by that so called polished diamond. If we had Luis Suarez still, I'm pretty sure we would have deployed pretty much the same team and the same formation.-----I've emphasised this many times - I'm a firm believer in bringing in no more than 3 maybe 4 players into the team. I think it unsettles the balance of the team and you have to start again. Let's consider the XI out against Villa - Lovren, Manquillo, Moreno, Lallana, Markovic, Balotelli. £93m worth of new talent in our team.Banned or not. I would not have sold Suarez.. not until someone of a sir milaquality came available. l And for FSG to claim that they wanted to keep him is complete nonsense. They wanted to cash in and get those hefty wages off the book, just like they have done with Reina and Agger.I think the funds came available and Brendan tried to over emphasise on squad depth. Effectively we are now going through a transition phase.This post covers everything that needs to be said about yesterday. Someone should print it and send it"FAO the Foureyed T**t, Boston".I've nothing else to add re the match.

Jesus, enough with drumming the same beat over and over and over again. LUIS LEFT BECAUSE HE WANTED TO...not because he wasn't offered enough wages or we didn't try hard enough to keep him. Get a grip. And if you remember, we bought him for 23m and made him into a 75m man...we didn't spend huge sums on quality then so why would 75m players suddenly fall over their feet to come here now?

It's sensible to get players who aren't getting in the team regularly and on high wages off the books, wtf is wrong with that? And please, for the love of god, tell me what exactly you're moaning about in terms of replacing Luis? He was irreplacable. I seem to remember we tried to get Sanches and he didn't want to come. Falcao wasn't interested either...so please do explain how that's FSG's fault?

I'm not blindly defending the owners, but turn around and blame everything on the fact that FSG didn't spend gazillions to replace Luis is lazy analysis at best and downright petulant at worse. Just stop whinging like a kid or go off to support the Chavs, much easier for your kind of "supporter".
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #651: Sep 17, 2014 03:46:58 pm
      Never in the history has one so deluded used the word deluded so many times.

As to the question of how long it'll take, ask F**k, he may know. I don't think Brendan could answer that question. Personally mate I think it'll be a couple of months
      ;D

A couple of months it is then and if we are 'lucky' enough to beat a few teams before then it won't be because players have already settled? Hmm...

I asked yer man F**k this, next, question too and he didn't have an answer for it either [it seems he just does sound bites]:

"Dear Mr. F**k, if good results, between now and Xmas, aren't an indication that players have 'settled'; how will we know when the players have settled and gelled - what will be different?"  ;D

One last thing. From memory: we are one point ahead, so far, on corresponding fixtures from last season - not too shabby in my opinion.
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2014 03:57:46 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #652: Sep 17, 2014 03:52:30 pm
      Fascinating that despite being 'surplus to requirements' Borini came on ahead of Lambert last night.

Suggests to me that Fabio was getting sold for financial reasons and not footballing reasons... Thoughts?

Doubtful. If you look at BR's comments on Hendo making VC, he said that he allowed Hendo the opportunity to leave for Fulham to play week in week out because he could not guarantee him playing time. He did not try to force him to leave just gave him the option. After he said that he told Hendo that if he stayed at LFC Rodgers said he would guarantee he would make him a better player.

I bet the same happened with Borini.

Other than that Fabio is more mobile and versatile than Lambert, it could have been a tactical switch as well.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fcs-brendan-rodgers-henderson-7776846
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #653: Sep 17, 2014 03:54:00 pm

Agree with this and have said it all along. I think the "transfer committee" have agreed that he could leave for a fee bu tI think it was always Brendan's intention that he come back in this year to be given a shot.

To be honest it would cast some questions about the manager's credibility if he had done anything else - after all he had worked with Borini twice before and he was BR's first signing on coming to the club.

Added to which, and also as I pointed out before, however much people want to ignore the fact, Borini is a better footballer who has consistently played at a higher level than Lambert through his career. I know Rickie has had a fairytale story and is a great red but, let's face facts - he has been a journeyman plying his trade at the mid/lowr levels of teh professional game most of his career.

I'm not saying that Lambert won't be a success here - in fact i think he will come good - but in footballing terms it was always likely Borini was going to get a chance if Sturridge was injured. It proves he made the right decision not to go to Sunderland. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #654: Sep 17, 2014 03:54:18 pm

Being moved on so that Brendan could get another target in?
      Guess we'll find out in January.

10 - 14 Million would have been a nice boost to him if he wasn't getting what he wanted.

Edit: I still think Lambert was just signed because they found out how much he was available for while negotiating for Lallana and Lovren. Should have worked a 4 for 3 deal with Schneiderlin.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #655: Sep 17, 2014 03:55:12 pm
      Agree with this and have said it all along. I think the "transfer committee" have agreed that he could leave for a fee bu tI think it was always Brendan's intention that he come back in this year to be given a shot.

To be honest it would cast some questions about the manager's credibility if he had done anything else - after all he had worked with Borini twice before and he was BR's first signing on coming to the club.

Added to which, and also as I pointed out before, however much people want to ignore the fact, Borini is a better footballer who has consistently played at a higher level than Lambert through his career. I know Rickie has had a fairytale story and is a great red but, let's face facts - he has been a journeyman plying his trade at the mid/lowr levels of teh professional game most of his career.

I'm not saying that Lambert won't be a success here - in fact i think he will come good - but in footballing terms it was always likely Borini was going to get a chance if Sturridge was injured. It proves he made the right decision not to go to Sunderland. 

Read my post above I think that explains it. Rodgers said there was money to spend and their was, whether Borini left or not was ultimately up to Fabio and he chose to stay, exactly like Hendo.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #656: Sep 17, 2014 04:11:58 pm

I agree, although I wouldn't read too much into Borini coming on rather than Lambert. I think it is simply that Borini is a more natural partner for Balotelli than Lambert would be. I think if we had been playing Sturridge up front on his own and Balotelli unavailable,  it would have been Lambert that would have come on... because imo Lambert is a more natural partner for Sturridge.

The offered price for Borini was just too good to turn down, I am pretty sure if someone had offered a similar amount for Lambert we would have been willing to sell... although like Borini , Lambert may not have been willing to go.

Personally I would have preferred a better 3rd choice than either, but Borini now has the opportunity to show what he can do and I hope he takes it. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #657: Sep 17, 2014 04:20:48 pm

Transfer committee rather than Brendan's decision.

Actually thought Borini did well when he came on, I'd start him against West Ham, cos Balotelli needs another striker playing alongside him.

Again you can see the team are still getting used to each other, just the sloppy things that need ironing out of our game now.

More and more impressed with both Moreno and Manquillo, either could of been our Man of the Match last night.
      Jim B
      • Banned

• 60 posts |
      Reply #658: Sep 17, 2014 04:48:36 pm

Actually thought Borini did well when he came on, I'd start him against West Ham, cos Balotelli needs another striker playing alongside him.

Again you can see the team are still getting used to each other, just the sloppy things that need ironing out of our game now.

More and more impressed with both Moreno and Manquillo, either could of been our Man of the Match last night.

They played ok but nothing to write home about. Marcelinho was probably the best player on the pitch.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #659: Sep 17, 2014 04:52:22 pm

They played ok but nothing to write home about. Marcelinho was probably the best player on the pitch.

Yep he really made that "84" Jersey his own.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #660: Sep 17, 2014 05:18:16 pm
      Manquillo showed his age more so than the rest if the young lads but also showed little glimpses of potential especially as the game developed and he settled. Moreno and Hendo close for MotM but gave it to Moreno.

Edit: just noticed more than a few had manquillo as their MotM, can we please take note that the second m means match and not moment. He was poor in the first half and may have ended on a good note but others like Moreno and Henderson played well in both halves
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #661: Sep 17, 2014 06:21:08 pm
      Think it's bad in here the you should have seen the two miserable tw*ts in front of me at the game. Spoke about golf until they realised there was something to moan about then did. A lot. Then when we scored didn't celebrate.  Didn't even smile. Didn't join in any singing throughout either. Scouse as you like aswell. And I'm not even going to start on the miserable c**t behind me but at least he celebrated.

Waste of three seats.

I expect it now mate.

Went the Southampton game on the opening day, it was dead. Opening F***ing day an all. First European Cup game back, we're F***ing famous for our atmosphere on the European nights and it sounded dead.

Too many soft tw*ts who can afford to go nowadays rather than too many who wanna go.

But F**k it, we won. That'll do me.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #662: Sep 17, 2014 07:32:46 pm

Aye, positions we've definitely improved from last year. Moreno already looks the dogs, and Manquillo is settling in well.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #663: Sep 17, 2014 08:42:57 pm
      Ludogorets send gratitude to LFC
      Ludogorets Razgrad have sent a special message of thanks to Liverpool fans for the recognition they paid to the Bulgarian champions at Anfield on Tuesday night.

The Reds required a stoppage-time penalty from captain Steven Gerrard to ultimately overcome the visitors in their opening fixture of Champions League Group B - their first game in the competition since 2009.

Dani Abalo had stunned Brendan Rodgers' side by grabbing an equaliser to seemingly claim a point for Ludogorets in the closing seconds of the match, after Mario Balotelli had broken the deadlock with his first goal for the club.

Appreciative of the tenacious display they had witnessed by the travelling outfit, Kopites stayed behind after the final whistle to applaud both the players and supporters of the Bulgarians for their efforts throughout the encounter in L4.

A Liverpool spokesperson said: "Ludogorets officials have been in touch with Liverpool today to once again emphasise how impressed they were by the appreciation and respect they were shown by our fans last night.

"They were very humbled by the applause afforded to them by Liverpool supporters at the end of the game and were keen to make it known how grateful they were."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/170939-ludogorets-send-gratitude-to-lfc

Nice touch, but we are still going out the beat them next time too.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #664: Sep 17, 2014 08:48:26 pm
      Just cast your minds back for a moment..

These are the games and results in our group when we ended up in Istanbul...

15 September 2004 (19:45)
      Liverpool 2-0 Monaco (Fra)

28 September 2004 7:45 pm
      Olympiakos (Gre) 1-0 Liverpool

19 October 2004 7:45pm
      Liverpool 0-0 Deportivo La Coruna (Spa)

3 November 2004 7:45pm
      Deportivo la Coruna (Spa) 0-1 Liverpool

23 November 2004 7:45pm
      Monaco (Fra) 1-0 Liverpool

8 December 2004 7:45pm
      Liverpool 3-1 Olympiakos (Gre)

Couple of howlers in there.. and we had Jimmy Troure as full back  !! ;D

We won last night and a win will boost confidence.. thought Lallana got stuck in when he was on but the change into a diamond formation and Ballotelli moving further forward with Borini buzzing around paid off.
      Great to see two solid full backs again !.l and they both had to put in a decent shift against a decent side..

class goal from Ballotelli and cool finish from our captain.. again !

we go again ! :kop5cf8koxp6:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #665: Sep 17, 2014 09:38:17 pm
      Arsenal - lost.
      City - lost.
      Chelsea - drew.
      Liverpool won.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest