Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      66 (47.1%)
      Manquillo
      18 (12.9%)
      Lovren
      2 (1.4%)
      Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Gerrard
      9 (6.4%)
      Henderson
      18 (12.9%)
      Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Sterling
      2 (1.4%)
      Balotelli
      20 (14.3%)
      Lallana
      1 (0.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Borini
      4 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: Sep 20, 2014 09:49:44 pm

LFC 2-1 Ludogorets Razgrad: In game and Post Match Discussion

Read 40995 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Re: LFC 2-1 Ludogorets Razgrad: In game and Post Match Discussion
      Reply #667: Sep 17, 2014 10:05:17 pm
      Arsenal - lost.
      City - lost.
      Chelsea - drew.
      Liverpool won.

Was just about to post and say it's amazing how 24 hours lends perspective. Best among the Premiership clubs.

Get in there redmen!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #668: Sep 17, 2014 10:25:34 pm
      Arsenal - lost.
      City - lost.
      Chelsea - drew.
      Liverpool won.

Was just coming on here to say the same. Only PL team with maximum points! Get the F**k in.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #669: Sep 17, 2014 10:33:04 pm
      Arsenal - lost.
      City - lost.
      Chelsea - drew.
      Liverpool won.

As usual we carry the hopes of the Nation.

redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #670: Sep 17, 2014 10:36:38 pm
      No need to have a go at Moreno or Sterling.
      We didn't need both Gerrard and Henderson to get high up the pitch that late in the game.
      Both were cut out in one move, when Sterling was dispossessed, leaving the defence open.

Many times I have posted and I still stick by my opinion, playing Stevie as a DM is a very wrong option. No offence to Stevie, he is already in the hall of fame of the club but at his age BR simply can't ask him to be a DM, last night clearly shows that speed is not Stevie's strongest asset at the moment. If Stevie is 24 in this game that Bulgarian player will never get pass Stevie. But time has changed all that.

I'd say make the best use of Stevie's strength for the remaining years of his career, push him forward as an AM and leave the defensive duty to someone else. But that someone else is one world class DM that we should have brought in but we never did. Hendo is best a good player certainly not world class and of late I realise he has reverted back to the old habits of side and backpasses.

I wouldn't put the blame on Sterling loosing possession or Moreno going forward, at least both tried to create something going forward.

wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #671: Sep 18, 2014 03:09:58 am
      Many times I have posted and I still stick by my opinion, playing Stevie as a DM is a very wrong option. No offence to Stevie, he is already in the hall of fame of the club but at his age BR simply can't ask him to be a DM, last night clearly shows that speed is not Stevie's strongest asset at the moment. If Stevie is 24 in this game that Bulgarian player will never get pass Stevie. But time has changed all that.

I'd say make the best use of Stevie's strength for the remaining years of his career, push him forward as an AM and leave the defensive duty to someone else. But that someone else is one world class DM that we should have brought in but we never did. Hendo is best a good player certainly not world class and of late I realise he has reverted back to the old habits of side and backpasses.

I wouldn't put the blame on Sterling loosing possession or Moreno going forward, at least both tried to create something going forward.

I totally agree; Stevie is a legend but I believe that his current playing position has become an issue on the team. I love Stevie but I think that it is too much to ask of him at this period of his career; in our style of play a DM needs to be the most energetic and mobile player on the field covering a lot of yards. This is not Gerrard today.

I noticed that he often picks the ball deeper than the 2 CBs which then takes them out of the game and we now have 1 less body in midfield to receive the pass. This issue is more prevalent when we play 4-3-3 because there is now only 2 players in the midfield...
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #672: Sep 18, 2014 10:09:43 am

:f_doh: Eh? If you think he's lost his speed then pushing him into AM will highlight that further and burn him out quicker, no? Players who've lost their legs get moved backwards not forwards.

If he's that badly gone the only answer is to move him to centre-back.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #673: Sep 18, 2014 10:12:02 am
      I totally agree; Stevie is a legend but I believe that his current playing position has become an issue on the team. I love Stevie but I think that it is too much to ask of him at this period of his career; in our style of play a DM needs to be the most energetic and mobile player on the field covering a lot of yards. This is not Gerrard today.

I noticed that he often picks the ball deeper than the 2 CBs which then takes them out of the game and we now have 1 less body in midfield to receive the pass. This issue is more prevalent when we play 4-3-3 because there is now only 2 players in the midfield...

But the centrebacks split so Stevie drops between them allowing both fullbacks to push into midfield, no? this is an extra two bosies, both quick, who can "receive" the ball. The idea is that it maximises Stevie's passing range.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #674: Sep 18, 2014 11:02:31 am
      A win is what matters, and especially with new players bedding in.  I have felt in the last two games that our play is quite predictable and I am hoping that when the new boys settle in we will see more imagination and some of the unexpected.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #675: Sep 18, 2014 01:16:11 pm
      Quote (selected)

Ludogorets send gratitude to LFCLudogorets Razgrad have sent a special message of thanks to Liverpool fans for the recognition they paid to the Bulgarian champions at Anfield on Tuesday night.The Reds required a stoppage-time penalty from captain Steven Gerrard to ultimately overcome the visitors in their opening fixture of Champions League Group B - their first game in the competition since 2009.Dani Abalo had stunned Brendan Rodgers' side by grabbing an equaliser to seemingly claim a point for Ludogorets in the closing seconds of the match, after Mario Balotelli had broken the deadlock with his first goal for the club.Appreciative of the tenacious display they had witnessed by the travelling outfit, Kopites stayed behind after the final whistle to applaud both the players and supporters of the Bulgarians for their efforts throughout the encounter in L4.A Liverpool spokesperson said: "Ludogorets officials have been in touch with Liverpool today to once again emphasise how impressed they were by the appreciation and respect they were shown by our fans last night."They were very humbled by the applause afforded to them by Liverpool supporters at the end of the game and were keen to make it known how grateful they were."http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/170939-ludogorets-send-gratitude-to-lfc

That is class. Not many teams in the world applaud opposing team and fans and not many would send special thanks afterwards. Love this.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #676: Sep 18, 2014 01:16:39 pm
      But the centrebacks split so Stevie drops between them allowing both fullbacks to push into midfield, no? this is an extra two bosies, both quick, who can "receive" the ball. The idea is that it maximises Stevie's passing range.

And has there been any great passes from Stevie yet this season, he really is way below par so far, and as long as that continues he should not be starting, it's as simple as that.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #677: Sep 18, 2014 01:58:33 pm

It's the idea, however Stevie doesn't have the defensive legs anymore and his passing has been well below par. I'd agree with Heimdall - without getting into any prolonged debate about what Stevie means for us, unless his form improves, he shouldn't start.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #678: Sep 18, 2014 02:32:31 pm

Looks like only you and me shares the same opinion.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #679: Sep 18, 2014 02:41:03 pm
      Watching the replay now, still early on in the game but I'm not sure about all the stick Lallana is getting, he's not been great but he's also not been anywhere near as bad as people have made out. Think we may have to give him a little slack as this is really only his 3rd game for LFC and I'm sure he's still getting used to playing with the other lads.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #680: Sep 18, 2014 02:43:18 pm
      :f_doh: Eh? If you think he's lost his speed then pushing him into AM will highlight that further and burn him out quicker, no? Players who've lost their legs get moved backwards not forwards.

If he's that badly gone the only answer is to move him to centre-back.

I sees it differently, a DM appears to run run much more than we thought. I've never expect the Stevie of 10 years ago playing as an attacking DM and a box to box player, but deploy him in the middle of the park, get the ball to him and let him unleash his deadly long range passes to the forward line. He has to camp around the centre circle and do what is needed instead of running all over the places defending when he don;t have the legs for that anymore.

Dropping Stevie, I will not agree, he still has lots of quality in him but certainly not as a DM.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,892 posts | 815 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #681: Sep 18, 2014 03:26:26 pm
      Watching the replay now, still early on in the game but I'm not sure about all the stick Lallana is getting, he's not been great but he's also not been anywhere near as bad as people have made out. Think we may have to give him a little slack as this is really only his 3rd game for LFC and I'm sure he's still getting used to playing with the other lads.

He didn't seem sure what to do with the ball, to me it looked like the ball kept getting stuck under his feet. He'd try a turn then another turn and they didn't really amount to anything.

But as the game went on he became more and more involved and with time his involvement will be more beneficial. He seemed off the pace to me and with a couple games I reckon he could fit in to our midfield quite nicely.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #682: Sep 18, 2014 06:39:10 pm
      He didn't seem sure what to do with the ball, to me it looked like the ball kept getting stuck under his feet. He'd try a turn then another turn and they didn't really amount to anything.

But as the game went on he became more and more involved and with time his involvement will be more beneficial. He seemed off the pace to me and with a couple games I reckon he could fit in to our midfield quite nicely.

I think maybe folks aren't giving Ludogrets enough  credit (or maybe they are...haven't followed this thread since matchday)...they seemed prepared for us and seemed to know how to be disruptive to our attack. Sometimes teams play up to their competition (Ludo) and sometimes teams play down (Us). I'm going to assume it's just a hiccup and even with a hiccup we got 3 points. Good times.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #683: Sep 18, 2014 06:48:49 pm
      I think maybe folks aren't giving Ludogrets enough  credit (or maybe they are...haven't followed this thread since matchday)...they seemed prepared for us and seemed to know how to be disruptive to our attack. Sometimes teams play up to their competition (Ludo) and sometimes teams play down (Us). I'm going to assume it's just a hiccup and even with a hiccup we got 3 points. Good times.

The pressure was off for them, they were expected to lose so they were able to just get on and play, if they lost then it wouldn't have been a shock to them but at the same time they would try and get away with a point, stifle us in attack and hit on the counter attack would have been their aim. The pressure was off and in all honesty they played better than us, they looked more of a team and had more than enough chances as evident by hitting the post and scoring.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #684: Sep 18, 2014 07:49:20 pm

That's not exactly difficult. We've become predictable. Villa showed that last season and again this season, as have other teams. Shut down Gerrard's ability to influence the game and we have no plan B, no alternate strategy. Carragher was on Sky's MNF the other night saying the same thing and suggested that we switch Henderson and Gerrard's positions for periods of the game, move him about to counter the oppositions tactics. It's something to consider because we have become rather one dimensional at times.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #685: Sep 19, 2014 11:10:35 am
      It's the idea, however Stevie doesn't have the defensive legs anymore and his passing has been well below par. I'd agree with Heimdall - without getting into any prolonged debate about what Stevie means for us, unless his form improves, he shouldn't start.

i don't disagree with either of you about his form but that's a separate question really; I was pointing out why the manager had put him in that position. Certainly moving him into AM would expose him further.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #686: Sep 19, 2014 11:15:05 am
      I sees it differently, a DM appears to run run much more than we thought. I've never expect the Stevie of 10 years ago playing as an attacking DM and a box to box player, but deploy him in the middle of the park, get the ball to him and let him unleash his deadly long range passes to the forward line. He has to camp around the centre circle and do what is needed instead of running all over the places defending when he don;t have the legs for that anymore.

Dropping Stevie, I will not agree, he still has lots of quality in him but certainly not as a DM.

He is not a DM so much as the deepest midfielder. "Running" isn't a problem - you can develop you stamina well into old age as evidenced by the number of old people you see doing marathons nowadays - the problem is being able to generate bursts of sprinting and recovering between them which is what you need in an attacking position. Stevie has lost that power now - as he has with his long range shooting. Yes he can do it occasionally but he would need to do both consistently to be effective at AM.

It's obvious really - as players age and tire they get moved backwards rather than forwards in the team.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8516 
      Reply #687: Sep 19, 2014 11:36:56 am
      I expect it now mate.

Went the Southampton game on the opening day, it was dead. Opening F***ing day an all. First European Cup game back, we're F***ing famous for our atmosphere on the European nights and it sounded dead.

Too many soft tw*ts who can afford to go nowadays rather than too many who wanna go.

But F**k it, we won. That'll do me.

Listen to the Monaco atmosphere in 2004 the start of the European Cup campaign that season - wasn't even a full house and complete sh*te atmosphere, that didn't really kick-off til the Olympiakos game.

Everton will be the first proper atmosphere of the season - granted everyone isn't too fu**ed from the Friday night excess!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,071 posts | 2746 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #688: Sep 19, 2014 01:19:31 pm

Everton will be the first proper atmosphere of the season - granted everyone isn't too fu**ed from the Friday night excess!

Why is that though? Why will the atmosphere be better for that? Maybe we should open a topic on it? Is tehre less wan*ers manage to get tickets for the derby or is it because its the derby everyone feels " oh hang on I better give it some vocal here for this one" Shouldnt matter a toss if Its Everton or kidderminster harriers coming to Anfield really

Quick Reply