Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM?

Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Enrique
      5 (5.5%)
      Manquillo
      0 (0%)
      Toure
      0 (0%)
      Sakho
      2 (2.2%)
      Rossiter
      13 (14.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      5 (5.5%)
      Lallana
      45 (49.5%)
      Sterling
      13 (14.3%)
      Lambert
      2 (2.2%)
      Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Balotelli
      1 (1.1%)
      Williams
      0 (0%)
      Suso
      5 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: Sep 27, 2014 11:08:49 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Middlesbrough AET (14-13 penalties): In game and Post Match Wha..?

Read 39245 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Liverpool 2-2 Middlesbrough AET (14-13 penalties): In game and Post Match Wha..?
      Sep 23, 2014 06:44:47 pm

A floodlit Kop awaits

Today, Anfield expansion was confirmed and approved

Starting XI: Mignolet Manquillo Enrique Touré Sakho Lucas Rossiter Lallana Sterling Markovic Lambert

Subs: Jones Skrtel Moreno Williams Suso Borini Balotelli

Brendan Rodgers has named 17-year-old Scouser Jordan Rossiter in the starting XI for Liverpool's League Cup clash against Middlesbrough on a night when Rickie Lambert will captain the side at Anfield.

Rossiter, who has been at the Reds' Academy since U6 level, will make his debut in the middle of the park, while Lambert, a fellow local lad, assumes the skipper's role on his first start for the club.

An offensive-minded trio of Raheem Sterling, Adam Lallana and Lazar Markovic will supplement Lambert's threat going forward.

Defensively, Kolo Toure, Jose Enrique and Mamadou Sakho return to the first XI alongside right-back Javier Manquillo.

Meanwhile, Rodgers has chosen Academy starlet Jordan Williams as part of a strong substitutes' bench which includes Italian duo Mario Balotelli and Fabio Borini.

Liverpool's all-time record in the League Cup... Played: 216 Won: 129 Drawn: 43 Lost: 44 Scored: 436 Conceded: 211

Rickie Lambert cheered ‪Liverpool‬'s eighth League Cup win as a fan from Wembley stands; tonight he'll kick-start the campaign to win the ninth
      « Last Edit: Sep 23, 2014 11:07:35 pm by JD »
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Middlesbrough [League Cup]
      Reply #1: Sep 23, 2014 06:46:18 pm
      Shame Suso isn't starting. Can't see any reason why he shouldn't! Do we really need to play Sterling against a team like Middlesborough?
      MiG
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts |
      Reply #2: Sep 23, 2014 06:48:55 pm
      Rossiter!

we can do this. Lambert to score 2 goals please
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #3: Sep 23, 2014 06:50:14 pm
      Sorry friends but who is Williams. Where does he play?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4: Sep 23, 2014 06:51:16 pm
      Shame Suso isn't starting. Can't see any reason why he shouldn't! Do we really need to play Sterling against a team like Middlesborough?

No. I agree Suso should be starting and I'm afraid another clear indication he's on his way to AC.

Great to see Markovic get a game, but if he didn't here there would be serious questions.

Looks like a 4231 to me, not a shape that really suits our first XI but I think it will have benefits here. Markovic doesn't mind staying wide, neither does Sterling if asked to, so expect Rickie to have plenty of service from there. Hopefully Rossiter can have a big influence as the lad has great talent, big chance for him to show it.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5: Sep 23, 2014 06:51:37 pm
      Seriously, Suso on the bench?

Great to see Rossiter start, but I'm a bit wary of him and Lucas in the same team. Didn't want Manquillo and Sterling to start, especially Manquillo, he's our only fit right back?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Sep 23, 2014 06:52:56 pm
      Sorry friends but who is Williams. Where does he play?

Jordan Williams can play CB, DM or CM mate, a good allrounder.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #7: Sep 23, 2014 06:53:29 pm
      Well tonight's one of the reasons we increased the squad.  That team should be more than capable of getting a result even if Boro are in a good vein of form.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #8: Sep 23, 2014 06:54:21 pm

Didn't he score that lovely free kick against the Mancs at the start of the U21 season? or was that Lussey? I can't remember :(
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #9: Sep 23, 2014 06:55:09 pm

Thanks mate :)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #10: Sep 23, 2014 06:58:14 pm
      Damn shame Suso isn't starting.

And maybe just me, but I wouldn't have started Sterling in this one. Much too important, plus we have other options for this game.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Sep 23, 2014 06:59:08 pm
      Didn't he score that lovely free kick against the Mancs at the start of the U21 season? or was that Lussey? I can't remember :(

I've not any of the u21's this season mate so I couldn't say but I saw him score a few beauties last season.  Come under the radar has young Williams, didn't have any of the hype of some of the others, just quietly gone about his business and progressed rapidly in the last 12 months.

Got a hell of a shot on him too, when he connects, they're usually pearlers  :D
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #12: Sep 23, 2014 06:59:15 pm
      Come on you redmen would have been there tonight but for a funeral in the morning , lets get at these with no fcking about lets kickstart our season from now .YNWA.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #13: Sep 23, 2014 06:59:48 pm
      As highly rated as Rossiter is, I don't agree with him starting ahead of Suso. What does Suso have to do to get a game?!

Why is Sterling starting to? He was dropped to the bench vs Villa because he had played for England 5 or 6 days prior and needed to be apparently managed correctly in his rest or whatever yet he is playing a few days after West Ham. Sort it out Rodgers.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #14: Sep 23, 2014 07:02:05 pm
      Same as whats already been said, was really hoping to get a good 60 minutes at least of Suso...  :-\
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #15: Sep 23, 2014 07:02:53 pm
      As highly rated as Rossiter is, I don't agree with him starting ahead of Suso. What does Suso have to do to get a game?!

Why is Sterling starting to? He was dropped to the bench vs Villa because he had played for England 5 or 6 days prior and needed to be apparently managed correctly in his rest or whatever yet he is playing a few days after West Ham. Sort it out Rodgers.

I agree, though Rossiter and Lucas are similar players, so I do wonder why Rodgers chose to play both at home :/
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #16: Sep 23, 2014 07:03:03 pm
      No. I agree Suso should be starting and I'm afraid another clear indication he's on his way to AC.

Great to see Markovic get a game, but if he didn't here there would be serious questions.

Looks like a 4231 to me, not a shape that really suits our first XI but I think it will have benefits here. Markovic doesn't mind staying wide, neither does Sterling if asked to, so expect Rickie to have plenty of service from there. Hopefully Rossiter can have a big influence as the lad has great talent, big chance for him to show it.

Yeah I think you are right about Suso, he clearly isn't really in the gaffers plans or is a good way down the pecking order. The lad will be off in Jan and you can't blame him seeing as he played a full season in la Liga last year
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #17: Sep 23, 2014 07:04:22 pm
      BR sees him in training every day, so I suppose he knows something we don't.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #18: Sep 23, 2014 07:09:00 pm
      I agree, though Rossiter and Lucas are similar players, so I do wonder why Rodgers chose to play both at home :/

I think it's a case of it's too big an ask to play Jordan as DM, his natural position, in his first game but he's more than capable of playing box to box.  If he has a good game, as in his usual game, it'll mean Lucas will barely touch the ball meaning it won't be a big ask next time  ;)

I just hope he shows what he's capable of and why so many rate him highly but if he doesn't he'll learn hell of a lot from it and Suso then gets his chance.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #19: Sep 23, 2014 07:12:11 pm
      I think it's a case of it's too big an ask to play Jordan as DM, his natural position, in his first game but he's more than capable of playing box to box.  If he has a good game, as in his usual game, it'll mean Lucas will barely touch the ball meaning it won't be a big ask next time  ;)

I just hope he shows what he's capable of and why so many rate him highly but if he doesn't he'll learn hell of a lot from it and Suso then gets his chance.

That's actually a good point, I can see our Lucas looking after him. Still forget he's just a kid and It'll be his 1st professional match.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: Sep 23, 2014 07:12:11 pm
      Also why is Lambert, who has made just a few sub appearances captain for tonight? Sentimental rather than because of leadership qualities.

Was hoping Balotelli and Borini would start too given the fact they are both likely to start against the Bitters, get bit more of an understanding.

Is anyone else this unhappy with the line up or is it just me being too narrow minded?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #21: Sep 23, 2014 07:13:50 pm
      BR sees him in training every day, so I suppose he knows something we don't.

He also starts Glen Johnson when he is fit........
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #22: Sep 23, 2014 07:14:59 pm
      Also why is Lambert, who has made just a few sub appearances captain for tonight? Sentimental rather than because of leadership qualities.

Was hoping Balotelli and Borini would start too given the fact they are both likely to start against the Bitters, get bit more of an understanding.

Is anyone else this unhappy with the line up or is it just me being too narrow minded?

That's a good line up apart from as has been mentioned Sterling does not need to play and Suso should have got a run out.

Quick Reply