Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM?

Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Enrique
      5 (5.5%)
      Manquillo
      0 (0%)
      Toure
      0 (0%)
      Sakho
      2 (2.2%)
      Rossiter
      13 (14.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      5 (5.5%)
      Lallana
      45 (49.5%)
      Sterling
      13 (14.3%)
      Lambert
      2 (2.2%)
      Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Balotelli
      1 (1.1%)
      Williams
      0 (0%)
      Suso
      5 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: Sep 27, 2014 11:08:49 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Middlesbrough AET (14-13 penalties): In game and Post Match Wha..?

Read 39552 times
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Middlesbrough [League Cup]
      Reply #23: Sep 23, 2014 07:15:04 pm
      Seriously, Suso on the bench?

Great to see Rossiter start, but I'm a bit wary of him and Lucas in the same team. Didn't want Manquillo and Sterling to start, especially Manquillo, he's our only fit right back?

Suso not starting for me means that he is definitely off in January. Can't wait to see Rossiter in action.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #24: Sep 23, 2014 07:15:41 pm
      Also why is Lambert, who has made just a few sub appearances captain for tonight? Sentimental rather than because of leadership qualities.

Was hoping Balotelli and Borini would start too given the fact they are both likely to start against the Bitters, get bit more of an understanding.

Is anyone else this unhappy with the line up or is it just me being too narrow minded?

I'm not overjoyed.
      I can see the sense in it, Lambert needs playing time but as you say, Balotelli and Borini do as well.
      I'd have liked to see Suso.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #25: Sep 23, 2014 07:15:53 pm
      Also why is Lambert, who has made just a few sub appearances captain for tonight? Sentimental rather than because of leadership qualities.

Was hoping Balotelli and Borini would start too given the fact they are both likely to start against the Bitters, get bit more of an understanding.

Is anyone else this unhappy with the line up or is it just me being too narrow minded?

Lambert is captain, wtf is that about?!

Can't say I agree with that.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #26: Sep 23, 2014 07:17:19 pm

Captain is so over rated we need leaders all over the pitch it's just a token thing.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #27: Sep 23, 2014 07:17:50 pm

He also starts Glen Johnson when he is fit........

And as I've said before, Johnson does a far better job than most give him credit for (mostly) and was a big reason why we scored so many goals last season.
      The problem is in the centre, not on the flanks.

Still, it seems that people need a scapegoat these days.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #28: Sep 23, 2014 07:19:23 pm
      I'm not overjoyed.
      I can see the sense in it, Lambert needs playing time but as you say, Balotelli and Borini do as well.
      I'd have liked to see Suso.

Yeah sense in but not the right choice.

God knows! It's only because of his love for the club and if that's how they base it then he is handing it out to every man and his dog!

But if we win then that's all that matters.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29: Sep 23, 2014 07:20:16 pm
      Captain is so over rated we need leaders all over the pitch it's just a token thing.

Yes in part I agree, but the more senior players will still take it as a slight against them. It is still a recognised symbol of where the boss rates you.

If I were Sakho, Mig or Lucas I'd feel a little disappointed with that decision.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #30: Sep 23, 2014 07:20:34 pm
      And as I've said before, Johnson does a far better job than most give him credit for (mostly) and was a big reason why we scored so many goals last season.
      The problem is in the centre, not on the flanks.

Still, it seems that people need a scapegoat these days.

I disagree it's the flanks and midfield where most of the damage has been done. Have you forgotten glens performance against Palace one of many miserable individual performances from him.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #31: Sep 23, 2014 07:27:26 pm
      Yes in part I agree, but the more senior players will still take it as a slight against them. It is still a recognised symbol of where the boss rates you.

If I were Sakho, Mig or Lucas I'd feel a little disappointed with that decision.

I would have expected Lucas but maybe just another indicator of how low Lucas has fallen in recent times?

I think we may see Lallana playing further forward tonight... linking with Lambert, with Sterling and Markovic staying wide.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #32: Sep 23, 2014 07:28:21 pm
      I disagree it's the flanks and midfield where most of the damage has been done. Have you forgotten glens performance against Palace one of many miserable individual performances from him.

I don't want to go into too much detail, because this isn't the thread for it, and because I posted a detailed breakdown in his player thread a while ago.
      Suffice to say, that the CB's split, and cover the fullbacks with Gerrard dropping between them to give more central cover, such that the backline becomes a slight diagonal because Flannagan didn't go forwards as much as Johnson. So Gerrard becomes an auxilliary CB, with the right CB moving across the cover Johnson, except whoever played there kept getting sucked into the centre with the result that Johnson was isolated far up the pitch with no cover behind him.

That's how I see it.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #33: Sep 23, 2014 07:31:24 pm
      I would have expected Lucas but maybe just another indicator of how low Lucas has fallen in recent times?

I think we may see Lallana playing further forward tonight... linking with Lambert, with Sterling and Markovic staying wide.

It certainly is mate, even still don't see the need to slap him again like that. Listening to Agger talk about Brendan recently I expect Lucas is in for the same treatment until he leaves, personally think loyalty deserves more respect and no matter how low Brendan thinks of Lucas' ability his seniority and loyalty alone would have granted him the armband in my book.

Expect to see a good display up front today mate, Lambert really needs to get on the scoresheet but personally I'd prefer if Markovic does.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #34: Sep 23, 2014 07:32:12 pm
      Let's hope we're all discussing good things at full time but I fear even a win won't be enough to satisfy some of the moaning minnies we've seen recently on the forum  :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #35: Sep 23, 2014 07:33:28 pm

Or Toure. While he's only been at the club for a year and he's dodgy at times :laugh: he IS a leader who's been captain elsewhere, in fairness.

Personally, I'd have given the armband to either Lucas or Toure.

That said, everyone knows they have a job to do, so it won't bother them too much.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #36: Sep 23, 2014 07:33:55 pm

Not so much Migs or Sakho, I'd have said Lucas or Enrique
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #37: Sep 23, 2014 07:39:58 pm
      I think the lads should be more worried about righting the ship as opposed to worrying about who is captain.

Be nice to have a 4 or 5 goal spree for us...and a clean sheet isn't too much to ask is it?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #38: Sep 23, 2014 07:42:12 pm
      Well, side is pretty much as I'd have expected, apart from Sterling. What happened to 'we need to be careful with the lad', I'm surprised he is playing - if he got injured in this one, would be some tough questions. An option would be to use Suso instead, and give him some time. Still, must mean that BR feels it's a tough test, and wants to win it. Also, it's a chance to Raheem in a side/attack with Lallana and Markovic. Good opportunity for those guys to get some game time under their belts in a 'not so high pressure match'. They badly need confidence. Decent looking 2nd string defense imo, on paper, hopefully they can do OK. Chances too for Rossiter and moreso Rickie to maybe get on the scoresheet at home, would be nice.

Makes for an interesting match. Really hope for the lads sake they perform and get the result. Think they will ... yes Harry, I do feel lucky, punk!
      CMOM YOU REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #39: Sep 23, 2014 07:42:36 pm
      Please let us be 3-0 up at HT and get Sterling off. Need him for bigger games ahead
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #40: Sep 23, 2014 07:42:49 pm
      What does Suso need to do in order to get a darn game? Brendan must really dislike the lad..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41: Sep 23, 2014 07:43:51 pm
      What does Suso need to do in order to get a darn game?

Sign for a different team I would imagine, if that doesn't do it then the lad has no hope.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #42: Sep 23, 2014 07:45:51 pm
      COME ON REDS!!
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,249 posts | 1000 
      Reply #43: Sep 23, 2014 07:46:19 pm
      Absolutely agree about Suso, obvious now that Brendan doesn't rate him and he'll be off in Jan. Shame, as I thought he deserved his chance.
      However Brendan is the boss and he obviously sees things we don't.
      I just want a good performance and a win!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #44: Sep 23, 2014 07:46:38 pm
      Didn't he score that lovely free kick against the Mancs at the start of the U21 season? or was that Lussey? I can't remember :(

Was Lussey mate, if somebody hasn't already replied.

Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #45: Sep 23, 2014 07:46:48 pm
      I don't get why BR 'rested' Sterling against Villa yet is starting him against shitty Boro.

Quick Reply