Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Calling all U.S Kopites

Read 4971 times
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Calling all U.S Kopites
      Sep 24, 2014 06:25:18 pm
      Hi I'm looking for a little bit of info from any members over in the States.

Basically me and my wife are looking at heading over for a long belated honeymoon. It's some way in the future (middle of next year to early 2016) nothing as yet set in stone. We'll be going to New York and also looking to visit 1 other place possibly Boston (not definite).

While we're over I'm looking to get to a couple of sporting events so looking for when the best time would be for us to go if any? Also how much would I be looking at for NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB tickets. I've had a bit of a look on ticketmaster etc but I'm unsure if these are inflated prices.

Don't really support any teams over there just looking to experience some of the atmosphere.

Any pointers or info would be welcome.

Cheers

YNWA
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Re: Calling all U.S Kopites
      Reply #1: Sep 25, 2014 10:44:57 pm
      Hi mate,

Really depends on what time of the year you're coming.  For me , the best atmosphere , comparable to footy , would be ice hockey. NHL's NYRangers play right in mid-town Manhattan. Tickets are pricey,  especially from ticketmaster.. so you'd expect to pay $150 and UP per ticket easy.  But if you have never seen a hockey game live , you'll be amazed at the speed and skill of the athletes playing this sport. NHL runs from October to April.

MLB , you got the Yankees and Mets. If you choose one , go with the Yankees. The new stadium is like a baseball museum, but doesen't have the atmosphere as much as the old one. Tickets for baseball are usually much cheaper, just to get in the Stadium. Of course the better the seats the more money. Also there are many trains that go from mid-town up to Yankee Statium. So transportation is easy.  MLB runs April through September.

NFL is a bit tricky , because the stadium is actually in New Jersey, also most the games are on Sunday. And if you've never been to an NFL game live, it can seem kinda slow, because all the television breaks and stoppages. I think a 60 minute NFL game only has about 15-20 minutes of real action. Jets tickets would probably be cheaper and more available than the Giants. But it also had alot to do with the opposition. Getting there can be a bit challenging too.  NFL goes Sept to Dec.

Never been an NBA fan, so can't offer you much advice here. The Knicks play in the same building as the Rangers. tickets are also really pricey for NBA. NBA and NHL seasons pretty much go on at the same time.

Good Luck and enjoy NYC.

YNWA

Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #2: Sep 25, 2014 11:34:48 pm
      Hi mate,

Really depends on what time of the year you're coming.  For me , the best atmosphere , comparable to footy , would be ice hockey. NHL's NYRangers play right in mid-town Manhattan. Tickets are pricey,  especially from ticketmaster.. so you'd expect to pay $150 and UP per ticket easy.  But if you have never seen a hockey game live , you'll be amazed at the speed and skill of the athletes playing this sport. NHL runs from October to April.

MLB , you got the Yankees and Mets. If you choose one , go with the Yankees. The new stadium is like a baseball museum, but doesen't have the atmosphere as much as the old one. Tickets for baseball are usually much cheaper, just to get in the Stadium. Of course the better the seats the more money. Also there are many trains that go from mid-town up to Yankee Statium. So transportation is easy.  MLB runs April through September.

NFL is a bit tricky , because the stadium is actually in New Jersey, also most the games are on Sunday. And if you've never been to an NFL game live, it can seem kinda slow, because all the television breaks and stoppages. I think a 60 minute NFL game only has about 15-20 minutes of real action. Jets tickets would probably be cheaper and more available than the Giants. But it also had alot to do with the opposition. Getting there can be a bit challenging too.  NFL goes Sept to Dec.

Never been an NBA fan, so can't offer you much advice here. The Knicks play in the same building as the Rangers. tickets are also really pricey for NBA. NBA and NHL seasons pretty much go on at the same time.

Good Luck and enjoy NYC.

YNWA

Thanks for the reply mate, I do enjoy Ice Hockey was a season ticket holder for the Steelers over in the UK back in my teens, I know it was nowhere near the standard of the NFL but it's certainly an option for us.

It would be good time wise also, we've been chatting tonight and looking at possibly doing Dceember 2015. Talking now about New York for 3-5 days then heading over to Miami for week in the sun. Possibly looking at taking in Miami Heat game while we're over there.

Is the $150 dollars for an Ice Hockey per seat mate, and if so how good a view are we talking for that sort of money?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Sep 26, 2014 05:33:12 am
      Go watch baseball! Best American sport ever.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #4: Sep 26, 2014 03:46:09 pm
      Go watch baseball! Best American sport ever.
      If I'm honest mate, I'm open to going to any of the sports as at some point or other have had some sort of interest in them. However out of the four I'd say Baseball would probably be last on my list. Looking most likely Ice Hockey and Basketball with the time we're now looking at.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #5: Sep 30, 2014 08:43:15 pm
      However out of the four I'd say Baseball would probably be last on my list.

If you're going the baseball take some loose pants.  I went to see the Padres a long while back and couldn't move from the barrel of coke and 18 foot hot dog you are forced to eat get.

Although I'm guessing that is standard at all the sports?

Certainly don't remember it being that expensive - but maybe there is a big price difference with East/West coast?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #6: Sep 30, 2014 08:48:44 pm
      If I'm honest mate, I'm open to going to any of the sports as at some point or other have had some sort of interest in them. However out of the four I'd say Baseball would probably be last on my list. Looking most likely Ice Hockey and Basketball with the time we're now looking at.

I was only joking of course... if you are not really into baseball, then going to a game can very possibly bore the hell out of you... unless you're lucky to watch a particularly entertaining one.

I'm a baseball fan though so I'd love to experience going to a game... will certainly do that when I'm in the US.

I don't think baseball tickets are expensive at all, unless we're talking about post-season games. Each team has 162 games (81 at home) in the regular season so I highly doubt an individual ticket would be expensive, though prices may vary according to opposition (a game vs the Padres is probably cheaper than one vs the Yankees, I'd guess)
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #7: Feb 02, 2015 05:45:37 pm
      To be frank baseball isn't my cup of tea like I used to be, but there are some really special ballparks worth visiting to see a game.

On the east coast look no further than Fenway park. A beer on lansdowne street or at the bleacher bar(which provides a great ground-level view of the outfield) is a must. For me, the actual game often plays second fiddle to the atmosphere. Prices depend on the seats you get but they also directly reflect the team's place in the league. Maybe $50-80.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #8: Feb 02, 2015 06:48:44 pm
      If you are going to be here in December and are going to be in Miami you could definitely catch a Heat game if they are in town. Ticket prices would vary. If you want good seats, you are probably talking $150. But you could likely catch a game in the upper sections for around $50 per ticket.

No baseball that time of year so that's out (lucky for you....baseball is the single most boring game on the face of the planet...I'd rather watch Curling).

That time of year you can go and see the Florida Panthers play (Hockey) in Sunrise, Fl (which is nearby to Miami).

You could also catch a Dolphins game, again ticket prices will vary but I'd probably figure on $120 per ticket or somewhere there abouts.

On a non-sports related note, If you are going to be in Miami, I'd try and build in some time to hit Key West. It's only about a 2 hour drive from Miami and there's no place I've ever been to that's like it. If you want more details let me know.

Quick Reply