Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Did We Buy Too Many Players ?

Read 6788 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Re: Did We Buy Too Many Players ?
      Reply #23: Sep 26, 2014 11:46:07 pm
      Could you imagine if we were not a selling club?

Reina
      Arbeloa  Masch  Lovren  Moreno
                              Alonso
                    Hendo          Coutinho
                             Sterling
                    Suarez     Sturridge

This team would walk the league..

I'd cry if we still had Masch and played him as a centre back.

The ultimate DM.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #24: Sep 27, 2014 06:01:55 am
      I don't think we buy too many players.

I guessed today we see not much of 'we're Liverpool Football Club, the greatest club in the world, player(s) who don't want to joint us so it's his lost not us' as I remember few years back when I join the forum I still see a lot.

That is, we supporters seemed realized how far things changed in football world. That's why to sign player(s) at required quality is MUCH difficult compare to the time we're REAL greatest in the past.

The manager, the committee, the board, the fans, everyone who bond to LFC surely want to get the established true top class player(s) but even we do have money, it's not easy to get them in.

I'm one repeatedly spout something like 'only get the true top class players in, let's the academy do about potential players' but I'm fully acknowledged talk is easy do it is much difficult.

Nowaday, just keep our best player(s) is something nearly impossible let alone take ones from other club amongst the superior opponents with much more spending power (and desire to spend).

Until we (the club, especially the owner) change it's policy then IMO it's almost impossible we will be back to glory again.

Someone say we not aimed to compete for world's top players but we will find best youth players around the world and develop them through our academy, IMO it's the same thing, you don't want to spend you never get the best young players.

So, I'm very very sympathized with Rodgers, I think his job is the hardest one in the world. That's why he has to buy numbers of players and inevitable they need time to play as a team. Only hope given the time, they will become quality group to take us to the next step, set a fundamental for the further develop and reach that target one day.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #25: Sep 27, 2014 06:51:45 am
      I don't think we buy too many players.

I guessed today we see not much of 'we're Liverpool Football Club, the greatest club in the world, player(s) who don't want to joint us so it's his lost not us' as I remember few years back when I join the forum I still see a lot.

That is, we supporters seemed realized how far things changed in football world. That's why to sign player(s) at required quality is MUCH difficult compare to the time we're REAL greatest in the past.

The manager, the committee, the board, the fans, everyone who bond to LFC surely want to get the established true top class player(s) but even we do have money, it's not easy to get them in.

I'm one repeatedly spout something like 'only get the true top class players in, let's the academy do about potential players' but I'm fully acknowledged talk is easy do it is much difficult.

Nowaday, just keep our best player(s) is something nearly impossible let alone take ones from other club amongst the superior opponents with much more spending power (and desire to spend).

Until we (the club, especially the owner) change it's policy then IMO it's almost impossible we will be back to glory again.

Someone say we not aimed to compete for world's top players but we will find best youth players around the world and develop them through our academy, IMO it's the same thing, you don't want to spend you never get the best young players.

So, I'm very very sympathized with Rodgers, I think his job is the hardest one in the world. That's why he has to buy numbers of players and inevitable they need time to play as a team. Only hope given the time, they will become quality group to take us to the next step, set a fundamental for the further develop and reach that target one day.

Isn't there a chance that if it wasn't for our coaching and management, a lot of the great players from the past would never have became the finished article.
      They may have shone before they came to LFC (that's why the scouts or coaches chose them) but in coming here under Shankly, Paisley and Fagan; they made them or molded them into the players they ultimately became.

I'd like to add that-
       thank god we bought plenty of new players because we'd be in much worse trouble now if we never.
      Good foresight and can't wait to see Origi come in next year, from this crop of summer signings.

btw I don't think these players came here to make up the numbers, we've got great future talent at reasonable prices, would they become better players if we blew double the money?
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #26: Sep 27, 2014 08:28:33 am
      We all, were complaining   that we have no squad depth in May, some even said it was the reason we lost the title
       So the amswer to the thread title question is a big NO,  some may argue  about the quality bought, But I think most players are young and apart from squad depth , they were brought  in for the future
       YNWA
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #27: Sep 27, 2014 11:07:18 am
      it had to be done sooner or later. You need depth, which we were lacking
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #28: Sep 28, 2014 07:20:18 am
      No, don't think we bought too many players. We're already stretched and it's only Sept.
      In all probability, not all will work out, but hopefully the majority do and assuming we're still in contention come Jan, we might do a small bit of business.
      With Studge/Allen back, Coutinho hitting his targets, maybe Can showing some form, things should turn around.

Agree.

Wheat and chaff come to mind.

GK  / DM and a proven forward.

January wouldn't be to soon to find out who will float and who will sink.
      Im sure Mr Borini can be levered out to Poyet for starters.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #29: Sep 28, 2014 08:13:10 am
      It's not that we bought too many player, the problem is that we had to buy so many this summer because of how shitty the previous transfer windows had been.
      We should not have been put in a position where we had to try and integrate so many players at the same time.
      I've said before that we should have spent money of quality rather than quantity like we did in other windows. Value for money transfers rarely work out.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #30: Sep 28, 2014 08:14:35 am
      After thinking about this I think the problem is not the amount of players bought but the quality of the players bought.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #31: Sep 28, 2014 08:34:08 am
      Looking at the kind of injury nightmare we find ourselves in, the number of players bought cannot be called surplus. Who would have played at RB if we didnt buy Manquillo with both Glen and Jon injured.Talking about the quality of players signed, I guess we have already started seeing the quality of two players (Balo and Lallana) coming through with them getting close to full fitness, agreed they are still not playing the way we expect them to but they are getting there. Moreno and Manquillo have shown enough to get the vote of confidence. The only player who was bought for a lot of money and has been an utter failure until now is Markovic and although I believe he will come good ultimately considering his age and settling in period, even if cannot come to grips with English football you are always bound to get one bad deal in the transfer market.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #32: Sep 28, 2014 09:39:05 am
      slightly off topic but does anyone else think that if we had won the league, Suarez might have stayed?
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #33: Sep 28, 2014 09:50:27 am
      slightly off topic but does anyone else think that if we had won the league, Suarez might have stayed?

Probably not. I think he would have still left us but his time on a high note. I think he understands that there is a big difference in talent between ourselves and Barcelona, and moving to such club would have been too good to turn down. That said, if we had won the league, I'm pretty sure it would have been easier for ourselves to convince him to stay. We didn't try to convince him though. We received a huge offer from Barcelona which had J.Henry licking his lips and that is why he left.

It's a shame the trend of being a selling club remains.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #34: Sep 28, 2014 11:29:11 am
      The Chavs brought three quality players into  the core team.

Goalie (back from loan)  Fabregas  and Costa.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #35: Sep 28, 2014 11:30:30 am

No Fed.

May have increased his value further but his mind was made up last year.
      We got the season , the profit and that was that.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #36: Sep 28, 2014 12:09:06 pm

But they already had a far deeper squad than we did - I don't think that we could have competed with only buying 3 players, even the three you mention.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #37: Sep 28, 2014 12:19:18 pm

As Muzzy has said there, they only needed to add quality in key positions to the squad.
      We barely had enough players to put out a subs bench most of the season.

Looked great though when all the youth players were "getting their chance"
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #38: Sep 28, 2014 01:11:59 pm
      But they already had a far deeper squad than we did - I don't think that we could have competed with only buying 3 players
      I get your drift Muzz but not only did we 'compete' with them, we actually outshone Chelsea [and the rest bar City].

Dress it up and try to square the circle, any way we want - most people seem to be saying (even those who don't think they are) that we bought squad players.

We didn't buy too many players. The fact is we didn't buy enough top quality players... squad fillers and players 'with potential', yes: top quality, no.

The truth is; we were told that we would be adding 'top quality'/'first team improvers' with (further) depth coming from the youth system and that did not materialise.

[for illustration purposes only] Let's be honest here: in reality; how much 'weaker' would the squad have been if...

... we bought Remy & Muller, in stead of Balotelli, Lambert, Origi & Markovic - Fabregas instead of Lallana & Can and Neuer, in stead of Lovren & Moreno?  Four [top quality] players in stead of seven squad players? >:D

Neuer
      Mignolet

Manquillo
      Johnson
      Flanagan
      Enrique

Skrtel
      Sakho
      Agger
      Ilori
      Coates
      Toure

Gerrard
      Fabregas
      Henderson
      Lucas
      Allen
      Coutinho
      Sterling
      Suso
      Ibe
      Rossiter

Remy
      Sturridge
      Muller
      Borini

Is that ^^^ squad really that weak?  :confused-smiley-013:

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #39: Sep 28, 2014 01:42:47 pm
      Maybe I'm being ambitious, but before the Suarez-Barca rumours had begun, I was thinking we could possibly have a front three of Suarez, Sturridge and Sanchez (who would rotate with Raheem).

It's quite obvious what our goal is - buy young, seemingly talented players in abundance and hope we earth one or two gems in the process. Our goal could well be accomplished in 3-4 years time given the nature of our transfers. We can only hope that our young players continue to progress and develop into world class footballers.

Right now looking at our team, you'd be inclined to improve GK, CB, DM, ST

I think with the players we've currently got, we can win games. We just need to play the correct players and drop those who are disruptive to the system that nearly won us the league title next season.

Mignolet
      Manquillo  Skrtel  Lovren  Moreno
                     Gerrard   Hendo
         Lallana       Coutinho     Sterling
                             Sturridge

I would love Brendan to try that team and formation out. Drop Sakho, drop Markovic, and drop Balotelli. One up top can work, as previous proven when we were tonking teams at the end of 2012/13 without Suarez.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #40: Sep 28, 2014 02:18:31 pm

Those names made me really sad mate.
      What is the future of our belove club ?

I'm worried much as we don't seem capable to compete, so far not and no good signs for hope in near future.

I post in the earlier page of this topic if the club not change policy it's even harder and harder for us to back to our greatness.

Chelsea's new GK (don't know his name) showed that our scout system failed or the player chose Chelsea above us that means our recruitment system failed or cannot compete.

Fabregas seemed want to join Chelsea and Costa we tried but like Cesc the player seemed not interest to join us. I think the major reasons are :
        -Manager, top players may not believe in Rodgers, they may think our runner up last season
         relied heavily on Suarez. With Luis left we like a wreck and they're not totally wrong.
        -Money (wages) everyone know we're not going to fight in this area.

IMO every established top class players seemed think the same. Even some like Reus or some those bbb mentioned above (Neuer and Muller) are no difference.

This summer was the greatest opportunity for Rodgers and the club to persuade top class players but at the end we get no one. Next summer if we out of UCL, how BR has to do to get any top player in, I can't see.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #41: Sep 28, 2014 02:21:01 pm
      I get your drift Muzz but not only did we 'compete' with them, we actually outshone Chelsea [and the rest bar City].
      I meant about competing this season really, with the extra burden of European football, and an already thin squad.  It's not so much how many players we bought more how many we need to use as first teamers I suppose.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #42: Sep 28, 2014 02:26:13 pm

Dress it up and try to square the circle, any way we want - most people seem to be saying (even those who don't think they are) that we bought squad players.

We didn't buy too many players. The fact is we didn't buy enough top quality players... squad fillers and players 'with potential', yes: top quality, no.

The truth is; we were told that we would be adding 'top quality'/'first team improvers' with (further) depth coming from the youth system and that did not materialise.

I agree with you in principle, although not necessarily in terms of the players. I think our fullbacks are doing fine and are as good as anyone elses in the league right now, as is Lovren on his day. The problems are in other areas.

But on the whole you've hit the nail on the head. Lack of quality. We bought Lallana, Markovic and Origi for a combined total of £55 million. Lallana was overpriced, Markovic has shown nothing to warrant such a high fee for such a young player and Origi is only nineteen and was promptly sent back out on loan to his former club which doesn't exactly help us in the goal scoring position this season. Add to that Rickie Lambert at £4 million, Can for £10 million and we're talking more or less the Suarez money. So we sold one World Class player and brought in one above average player, two 'ones for the future' and one 'over the hill' player as his replacements. Now does that strike anyone as good business dealings?

We would have been better spending that money, plus the reported £60 million budget we had on one world class Keeper, one world class Attacking Midfielder and one world class Goal Scorer and prioritised which competitions we take serious according to the strength of our squad.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #43: Sep 28, 2014 02:31:02 pm

We bought Lallana, Markovic and Origi for a combined total of £55 million.
      Lallana was overpriced, Markovic has shown nothing to warrant such a high fee for such a young player and Origi is only nineteen and was promptly sent back out on loan to his former club which doesn't exactly help us in the goal scoring position this season.
      Add to that Rickie Lambert at £4 million, Can for £10 million and we're talking more or less the Suarez money.
      So we sold one World Class player and brought in one above average player, two 'ones for the future' and one 'over the hill' player as his replacements. Now does that strike anyone as good business dealings?

We would have been better spending that money, plus the reported £60 million budget we had on one world class Keeper, one world class Attacking Midfielder and one world class Goal Scorer and prioritised which competitions we take serious according to the strength of our squad.

I'd agree with this summary.

+1
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #44: Sep 28, 2014 02:39:12 pm
      I meant about competing this season really, with the extra burden of European football
      Well that "extra burden" might be no more than six games. Four quality players, added to the squad we already had, might have been well able to cope with that particular "burden".  :-\

I agree with you in principle, although not necessarily in terms of the players...

... We would have been better spending that money, plus the reported £60 million budget we had on one world class Keeper, one world class Attacking Midfielder and one world class Goal Scorer...

No problem mate - that's why I laboured the point that the players mentioned were "for illustration purposes only". Although, to be fair: I did mention "one world class 'keeper, one world class attacking midfielder and one world class goal scorer".   ;D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,885 posts | 704 
      Reply #45: Sep 28, 2014 06:34:28 pm
      No we didn't buy too many. The squad needed significant numbers over the summer, and that's what we got.

The problem now is we're not creating chances. And no matter how big or short your squad is, if you're not creating chances, you'll never score goals.

Take the game at West Ham after 82 minutes. There we were desperately needing a goal, and you'd think we were 5-0 up with all the aimless passing going on round the centre circle. There was no urgency to get it into the last third and get the equaliser. When we finally do get it up there, we hit a brick wall around the penalty area, and have to win the ball back and start again. Look at the amount of times we have possession in the opposition half, only to send the ball back to Mignolet. Now that's fair enough if we're winning, but when we're not, how are we supposed to win games or get results playing like that? That doesn't need Luis Suarez or signing marquee players to fix, that can be fixed from the sideline.

In short, we've stopped playing the football that worked last year, and that's why we are where we are.

Quick Reply