Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your LFC MotM?

22. Mignolet
      (0%)
      19. Manquillo
      (0%)
      37. Skrtel
      (0%)
      6. Lovren
      (2%)
      18. Moreno
      (5%)
      8. Gerrard
      (11.9%)
      14. Henderson
      (5%)
      20. Lallana
      (68.3%)
      50. Markovic
      (0%)
      31. Sterling
      (5.9%)
      45. Balotelli
      (1%)
      10. Coutinho
      (1%)
      9. Lambert
      (0%)
      Other...
      (0%)

Liverpool 1-1 Everton: In-game & post-match "..."

Read 33068 times
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Everton: In-game & post-match "..."
      Reply #322: Sep 27, 2014 08:30:30 pm
      I think we need to accept we let a truly world class player go who also had a desire to win that you really do not see that much in any sport. We also have missed Daniel and now it seems we are so dependant on Daniel and Raheem.This is going to be a difficult season
      agreed....spot on, going to be a long long season

Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #323: Sep 27, 2014 08:37:25 pm
      I think we need to accept we let a truly world class player go who also had a desire to win that you really do not see that much in any sport. We also have missed Daniel and now it seems we are so dependant on Daniel and Raheem.This is going to be a difficult season

Agree 100%. We were never going to replace Suarez with £20m players, we have to accept that. I think many of us have not factored in his inate desire to win, which I am sure rubbed off on the rest of the squad.
      I am sure Brendan can get this group of players gelling together, my only caveat, is, can he do it in time to get us 4th. I hope and believe after today that he can!

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #324: Sep 27, 2014 08:45:08 pm
      We ripped up the principles of the winning formula from last season. Gone now is the fast paced incisive football, in its stead is a slower more deliberate style of play. I was worried in the Summer, and I'm even more so now. This is a side we ripped to shreds last year a d we couldn't do it this time around. We were unlucky not to take 3 points but the side of last season would have buried them.

Sturridge return will help, but he is always going to miss game through injury throughout a season.

Should have signed fewer players but of premium quality, we have indeed copied the mistake Spurs made a season earlier.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #325: Sep 27, 2014 09:02:56 pm
      Very poor again from Liverpool.  Everton weren't much better.  Can't argue with them getting a point.  Almost everyone in the ground could see that equaliser coming - number of times we 'cleared' it and gave them straight back to them towards the end.

Not quite sure what the logic is in playing one target man up front without someone even to help him out - utterly unbalanced.  You can get away with one up front when they are world class - sadly Mario isn't.

Markovic - early days but done nothing to impress me so far.  No touch and seemingly no pace.  Lallana, while looking very lightweight, was one of our better players today.

Really concerned about Lovren and Manquillo and as for Mignolet nothing much needs adding.  Trying to save a shot in the top left corner with your right arm looked foolish.
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #326: Sep 27, 2014 09:32:59 pm
      Very poor again from Liverpool.  Everton weren't much better.  Can't argue with them getting a point.  Almost everyone in the ground could see that equaliser coming - number of times we 'cleared' it and gave them straight back to them towards the end.

Not quite sure what the logic is in playing one target man up front without someone even to help him out - utterly unbalanced.  You can get away with one up front when they are world class - sadly Mario isn't.

A far cry from Luis, indeed. If BR thought Mario was a fine replacement, he was badly mistaken.

I agree with you. Very poor from Liverpool. Again. :'(
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #327: Sep 27, 2014 09:58:40 pm
      We look like a shadow of last season and that's taking into account the games Luis did not play in. the league has gone already we need a reality check and for the players to really show why they are in a RED shirt
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #328: Sep 27, 2014 10:00:00 pm
      A far cry from Luis, indeed. If BR thought Mario was a fine replacement, he was badly mistaken.

I agree with you. Very poor from Liverpool. Again. :'(

Unfortunately I don't think Mario was ever meant to be his replacement, I think he was meant to give us something different but be in addition to a Suarez replacement that sadly never materialised. Just got to hope we can keep Danny fit until January and then buy someone then.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #329: Sep 27, 2014 10:34:23 pm
      That was just a bit gutting, isn't it? Neither team particularly played well, but we did do just enough IMO to get three points. We were the better side (especially with Everton showing no ambition for most of the match), but got undone by a screamer. And fair play to Jagielka, that was a worldy!

Lallana was once again our best player and Stevie looked pretty good today. As for Markovic, give him time. I was surprised to see him start such a big game TBH.

Biggest issue for me is that we don't seem particularly creative enough despite having a lot of creative players in the side. I think of portion of that has to do with the type of player Balotelli is as opposed to Sturridge. As an outlet, Sturridge fits this team better than Balotelli does, and no doubt in my mind that if Sturridge was fit, he'd had bagged a brace.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #330: Sep 27, 2014 10:41:22 pm
      Its gutting cause we really deserved the 3 points. We were better all over the park, even better at the part we were worst at - attack! Its miserable to drop 2points but it felt like we were back. Plenty of positives. Plenty of talent.

Need sturridge back and Balo to fire. We are good but we are making this 1st to 4th place position very very difficult to obtain.

My worry is we will play well against top teams and sh*t against bottom teams, purely cause they will set up against us to stifle us and if we dont score early we bottle it.Although based on todays I think we clicked again.

Also another worry is the CL games will start to ware us down now too... Could of done with a buffer zone to lose a few games now WHICH is gone. No more losses allowed until the final 3rd of games. 7

Momentum is key!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #331: Sep 27, 2014 10:58:34 pm
      Balotelli's ego almost demands LFC change to suit his style of play. I'm starting to think he needs to change very quickly or he'll destroy our play style.

First half I saw Sterling play a ball down the left channel for Balotelli, and Balotelli was sauntering in the centre of the final third making no effort to get to the ball.

Second half, Lallana breaks from defence with the ball and he has to hold up play, and he's clearly looking toward Balo, waiting for him to make a run; nothing happened.

I think the Gaffer needs to have a long hard talk with him, because if he doesn't change, he could be gone by next summer. I really do think he's a massive problem in our attack and not the solution. We all knew he was a massive gamble, and I'm beginning to think we are going to regret it.

He's not lazy, it's just the way he has always played. Moody in temperament and that clearly dictates how he plays.

I honestly believe the Gaffer was thinking that putting Lambert on would give us more movement up front. Imagine that!
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #332: Sep 27, 2014 11:07:35 pm
      Balotelli's ego almost demands LFC change to suit his style of play. I'm starting to think he needs to change very quickly or he'll destroy our play style.

First half I saw Sterling play a ball down the left channel for Balotelli, and Balotelli was sauntering in the centre of the final third making no effort to get to the ball.

Second half, Lallana breaks from defence with the ball and he has to hold up play, and he's clearly looking toward Balo, waiting for him to make a run; nothing happened.

I think the Gaffer needs to have a long hard talk with him, because if he doesn't change, he could be gone by next summer. I really do think he's a massive problem in our attack and not the solution. We all knew he was a massive gamble, and I'm beginning to think we are going to regret it.

He's not lazy, it's just the way he has always played. Moody in temperament and that clearly dictates how he plays.

I honestly believe the Gaffer was thinking that putting Lambert on would give us more movement up front. Imagine that!

Ye I dont think Balo knows what the channels actually are. Hes needs to find them. Thought it was interesting BR came out and said that at HT he said to Balo that he needs to get inbetween the posts when we are attacking. He was coming so deep but staying so central. Its like his game revolves around the 18yard D. Doesnt work that way with us Son. Especially not when we are clicking and tearing teams apart with our pass and move pacey footie, which we saw in parts.

Thought Coutinho and Lallana were great today. Maybe Coutinho is a play 1 game, rest, play 1 type of player. Needs to stay hungry.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #333: Sep 27, 2014 11:09:31 pm
      Was a good performance, if not the end result. Balo will have to adapt, or he'll be out. The most annoying thing for me personally is Markowitz. The lad has bags of ability and pace, but has so far shown none of it in a Liverpool jersey. I know a lot of new players have come in, but so far it isn't working. Last seasons deadly attack force seems to have completely disappeared with one player.

Oh well, hopefully the performance will pull us through the next game.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #334: Sep 27, 2014 11:36:04 pm
      Got to watch the game, but was incommunicado most the day, gutted ain't the word, we were the better team over the ninety.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #335: Sep 28, 2014 02:54:00 am
      Very disappointed after what was a more coherent display, and on the whole a much better defensive performance.  Was very pleased with Lallana, who I thought was excellent and looks to suit our style of play.  I think we look a better team with 2 up top and the sooner Studge is back the better.  Think the fullbacks look to have promise, and could both be good acquisitions. Markovic will need time to settle, but there are the odd thing he does that shows he can make an impact once he gets used to the speed of the game.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #336: Sep 28, 2014 03:48:24 am
      Balotelli's ego almost demands LFC change to suit his style of play.

Im sorry, thats pretty harsh. EVERY player has their own type of play. To say his ego is the reason why he plays a certain way is absolutely ridiculous.

His style of play with one up front is isolating. PLUS it doesnt help that he has no support in the box vs 2 Centre backs.

When he was a partner he will be much better. 
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #337: Sep 28, 2014 04:19:41 am
      I really don't get how anyone can say that that was a good performance.  Did any of you actually watch us last season?  We ran riot and blitzed everyone in sight.  Our pass-and-move offense scared everyone in the league.  When we were on the counter we were like lightning up the pitch. 

In the derby we were the exact opposite of that.  Ponderous, out of ideas, f**king hell, when did we suddenly turn into a team that crosses the ball so much?  We look like the mancs under Moyes last season.  It's cringeworthy.  The attack has no clue what to do.  How many times did they give the ball to Balotelli on the outside of the box and he took some ridiculous shot with no chance of going in.  Were we the better team on the day---I don't know, maybe.  but they were sh*te too.  so it's like saying the bird who weighs 20 stone is "thinner" than the bird who weighs 21 stone.  Okay yea I guess she is.  but they're still two fat ass birds.

Something is wrong.  I can't quite put my finger on it.  We just look so slow and like we have no ideas.  Lallana looked sharp at times but even that was deceptive, he ran around the pitch like a chicken with his head cut off most of the time, a good shift but to what end?  Markovic looked like he was scared of his own shadow.  In general Mignolet is not good enough but there's nothing he could have done about the goal.  A world class strike.  Although it looked like Skrtel gave Mignolet a bollocking in the first half when he didn't come for that ball.  Pretty clear no one trusts him.

There's something wrong and the first thing I would address is the midfield.  It's time to drop Gerrard.  I mean it's painfully obvious.  Okay, he sprayed a couple of crossfield balls and put them right into Sterling's path.  And he scored the free kick.  But there are many games where he DOESN'T do that.  And apart from those couple of moments he was slow again, ponderous, doesn't have the legs to get by a man when they pressure him etc.  So that's handicap number one.  Handicap number two then comes because we have to stick Henderson next to him to act like his minder because Stevie can't pull his own weight anymore.  So there's 2 midfield players both limited because of Stevie.  It's just pulling us down.

That was NOT a good performance.  Was it better than against West Ham---I guess.  But f**king hell those are setting some pretty low standards.  I mean does anyone remember Arsenal at Anfield last season, the derby at Anfield last season, f**k's sake THOSE were performances.  Even this season, Spurs away a few weeks back---THAT was a class performance.  Yesterday was NOT a good performance. 

« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2014 04:32:45 am by federer »
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #338: Sep 28, 2014 04:20:32 am
      Gutted with the result of the game .They needed a screamer to get the draw
      I thought Moreno was awesome today really kept Lukaku quiet was impressed by his strength against a guy that looked physically bigger
      Lallana was also superb today also

Sterling seemed to be missing and his passing and crossing was terrible
      Great goal from Stevie
      Still unsure how we get the best Baloteli.Went to ground a bit to often for my liking

Markovic is finding it hard to deal with the pace of the game ,But he needs time

Ref was sh*t .How Barry managed to stay on the pitch in the first half is beyond me

I gave the MOTM to Moreno.. What a buy he is turning out to be

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #339: Sep 28, 2014 06:52:10 am
      Facht :

Balotelli had 10 shots compared to Everton's seven in the whole game.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #340: Sep 28, 2014 09:02:13 am
      Felt like a defeat walking away from the ground.

Thought Lallala was very good and the defence looked quite solid (apart from the Mignolet and Skrtel incident). Apart from that, we are a shadow of the team from the 2nd half of last season and Brendan has some serious problems to solve. Some of our play is so lethargic at the moment.

There is no way Markovic should be starting ahead of even not in top form Coutinho and Mario needs to cut down on all the nonsense, some of the off the ball stuff was embarrassing.

On a side note.....So much for Everton understanding their neighbours too, 3000 of the Blueshite singing Murders and Always the victims....tw*ts!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #341: Sep 28, 2014 09:04:13 am
      Im sorry, thats pretty harsh. EVERY player has their own type of play. To say his ego is the reason why he plays a certain way is absolutely ridiculous.

His style of play with one up front is isolating. PLUS it doesnt help that he has no support in the box vs 2 Centre backs.

When he was a partner he will be much better. 
      Really? You don't think a player's attitude can affect a team or affect how that player himself plays?

It's his ego. He even had the audacity to tell the Gaffer 'I don't mark at corners' until the Gaffer told him 'You do now!'

Come on - the guy's a walking ego and it can affect him, the dressing room and what happens on the pitch. Yes all players have egos, Zlatan, even Studge, but at least they don't let it dictate things

« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2014 11:25:19 am by Rush »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #342: Sep 28, 2014 09:07:42 am
      Thought we played well for a large portion of the game.
      Unfortunately you could see us starting to sit deeper and deeper with a few minutes to go.
      "Seeing out the game" I suppose.

Dreaded it.

At odds with how we would relentlessly play last season.
      Got what we deserved. No killer instinct, no will to win at any cost, no ruthlessness.
      Kind of sums up the season so far.

As much as I'm looking forward to Sturridge coming back it looks very much like our season
      depends on him. Yeah, he'll tear defences apart with Balotelli. Last season though, when Sturridge
      or Suarez were missing we had the other to lead the line.

Missing piece?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #343: Sep 28, 2014 09:21:30 am
      Quote from: federer
      There's something wrong and It's time to drop Gerrard.  I mean it's painfully obvious.  Okay, he sprayed a couple of crossfield balls and put them right into Sterling's path.  And he scored the free kick.  But there are many games where he DOESN'T do that.  And apart from those couple of moments he was slow again, ponderous, doesn't have the legs to get by a man when they pressure him etc.  So that's handicap number one.  Handicap number two then comes because we have to stick Henderson next to him to act like his minder because Stevie can't pull his own weight anymore.  So there's 2 midfield players both limited because of Stevie.  It's just pulling us down.

Gerrard is one of our leading goalscorers this year. He's still the best we have at free kicks and penalties. Drop him?? You're having a laugh.

No, he isn't bombing forward like he was or providing defence splitting passes anymore, but he's a defensive midfielder now, his game is supposed to be at a slower pace, and stopping attacks. The whole team has been poor this season. To single him out is wrong.

We should have won again, as we were the better side. But the last 3 home games have seen last minute equalisers against us. So where are all the "just close the game out" advocates now?
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #344: Sep 28, 2014 10:08:21 am
      Some fans on here need borrow some dignity and forget about Suarez; he didn't want to remain at Anfield.

Sturridge scored 22 goals last season. He also kept the goals coming while the Uruguayan was doing time. We miss Sturridge.

Attacking Balotelli is just lame. He's a good player, got brilliant touches and will come good.

So we've won 2 lost 3 and drawn 1; who says it won't get better? We are just 6 games in.

YNWA
      « Last Edit: Sep 28, 2014 01:58:31 pm by solodee »

Quick Reply