Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your LFC MotM?

22. Mignolet
      (0%)
      19. Manquillo
      (0%)
      37. Skrtel
      (0%)
      6. Lovren
      (2%)
      18. Moreno
      (5%)
      8. Gerrard
      (11.9%)
      14. Henderson
      (5%)
      20. Lallana
      (68.3%)
      50. Markovic
      (0%)
      31. Sterling
      (5.9%)
      45. Balotelli
      (1%)
      10. Coutinho
      (1%)
      9. Lambert
      (0%)
      Other...
      (0%)

Liverpool 1-1 Everton: In-game & post-match "..."

Read 33075 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Everton: In-game & post-match "..."
      Reply #345: Sep 28, 2014 10:23:27 am
      Felt like a defeat walking away from the ground.

Thought Lallala was very good and the defence looked quite solid (apart from the Mignolet and Skrtel incident). Apart from that, we are a shadow of the team from the 2nd half of last season and Brendan has some serious problems to solve. Some of our play is so lethargic at the moment.

There is no way Markovic should be starting ahead of even not in top form Coutinho and Mario needs to cut down on all the nonsense, some of the off the ball stuff was embarrassing.

On a side note.....So much for Everton understanding their neighbours too, 3000 of the Blueshite singing Murders and Always the victims....tw*ts!

I thought Everton fans, being scousers, would have more respect re hillsborough. Disappointing from them really.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #346: Sep 28, 2014 10:51:56 am

On a side note.....So much for Everton understanding their neighbours too, 3000 of the Blueshite singing Murders and Always the victims....tw*ts!

No surprise there, the bitters acting out the stereotype to perfection.
      Classless F***ing losers who let avarice tarnish every emotion.

red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #347: Sep 28, 2014 11:07:04 am
      I guess Markovic was played because BR thought we needed some pace upfront. I am sure in the next games we will see Coutinho get the nod ahead of him specially since he put in a decent performance.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #348: Sep 28, 2014 11:27:02 am
      If we a) play with any sort of intensity, b) play with anything which even resembles defensive discipline and c) play with a forward who 'gets behind' defenders - we will hand this sh*t a lesson in football.  >:D

"Intensity" - ✓

"Defensive discipline" - ✓

"A forward who gets behind defenders" - x

We played well enough and did not deserve to drop points but (without a forward who is a better 'fit' to our style of play), we will always run the risk of not scoring enough. Their goal was top notch but would have mattered none were we any way prolific.

The sooner Danny is fit and Raheem is played along side him [with Mario 'rested'], the better; in my opinion, of course.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #349: Sep 28, 2014 11:29:35 am
      Everyone seems intent on blaming one player or another for yesterday's result when what we really need to learn as a team is how to close down matches. Not all games are we going to demolish opposition, sometimes it'll be a cagey affair and a one goal lead can be vital. Look at Chelsea or City or Arsenal, hell even United and knowing that they'd had such difficulties scoring in the match, they would have controlled the game after scoring, kept possession and ran down the clock for a win. Not us though, we gift possession to the opposition and invite them on to us, almost goading them to score. It's a collective naivety that's crept in to Liverpool Football Club under Brendan Rodgers' management and its something we need to address if we're to be successful.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #350: Sep 28, 2014 12:11:20 pm
      Have to disagree with some of the comments comparing us to last season. We did not blitz everyone as Fed stated, Chelsea set out to thwart us and everyone has learnt by that so we would have struggled against teams that park the bus with the same team as we had last season.

Yesterday was by no means a vintage performance but it was an improvement on recent displays. Although I voted for a win I dreaded us getting beat which I think was a fair possibility given our performances leading up to the game.

I think we had the measure of them for most of the game and were unlucky to concede at the end although we still haven't learned to play out for a win at the end of games. Thought Lallana played well and appears to be improving with each game. Moreno is a beast for someone so young and on the whole dealt with Lukaku well. Don't know what's up with Migs but he appears to be getting worse with each game that passes.

In summary we've had a tough start to the season but it was never going to be easy. Teams were likely to set up differently against us, we had a lot of new players to bed in, key injuries etc etc. Things will definitely improve and I think we will still finish 3rd or 4th.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #351: Sep 28, 2014 12:24:02 pm
      Everyone seems intent on blaming one player or another for yesterday's result when what we really need to learn as a team is how to close down matches. Not all games are we going to demolish opposition, sometimes it'll be a cagey affair and a one goal lead can be vital. Look at Chelsea or City or Arsenal, hell even United and knowing that they'd had such difficulties scoring in the match, they would have controlled the game after scoring, kept possession and ran down the clock for a win. Not us though, we gift possession to the opposition and invite them on to us, almost goading them to score. It's a collective naivety that's crept in to Liverpool Football Club under Brendan Rodgers' management and its something we need to address if we're to be successful.

Exactly how I saw it mate, soon as the ball crossed the half-way line it was as if someone had committed an infringement and everyone fell back, it was like the ref had a silent whistle.
      In the second half especially Everton were allowed to dictate tactics and given the luxury of unchallenged positional superiority, their goal while being a F***ing stormer was totally preventable if the apparent 'stand off' strategy was not used. 
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #352: Sep 28, 2014 12:48:01 pm
      Gutted. One big positive is that our defence actually looked good today. Keeping Lukaku quiet isn't and easy task but Moreno hardly gave him a look in. Everton attack are the second highest scorers in the league yet they've had a handful of shots on goal. Gotta acknowledge the defensive display for that.

But we were poor in the final third. Our final ball wasn't good enough and that's supposed to be our strength with midfielders like Llalana and Sterling. There's always going to be one or two underperformers but Markovic looked poor again. Couts may have off games but even when he does, he could create something in bursts. Should have started.

As for Balotelli,  he wasn't bad...but he has got to put away chances. That's why he was brought in and he is failing to do that. We are desparately missing Sturridge's movement and finishing. Thanks to the owl faced c**t who should not be allowed anywhere near our ground, we're suffering badly.

Some people are being very harsh here comparing us against last season. We lost Luis and brought in so many new faces. 5 of them were on the pitch yesterday only playing their 5th game together. What the f**k do you expect? We blow away teams like we used to so soon? Give them a break. My only critcism was that we're not putting away chances and we shouldn't have sat back so much in the last 5 minutes.  Other than that, it was a much improved performance.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #353: Sep 28, 2014 01:07:43 pm
      Exactly like I said :

Would we have won, everyone would be saying "Balotelli had a good game and was unlucky not to score."
      As Jagielka scored that completely incredible goal and it's finally a draw, it becomes "Balotelli the pedestrian missing sitters costed us the win." etc...

Seriously, how can you find more reasons to blame Balotelli, who was only making his fourth appearance for us, is still adapting to our style, and showed big signs of improvement compared to his first games (just being where he was for the "missed sitter" -in fact a lucky save by Howard that should have given us a corner- is one), more than any other member of the team ? It's not him who decided to sit deep after he left the field and invite pressure that ended in Jagielka scoring.

IMO all come down to two facts : sadly he is not Suarez, and he has that bad reputation of being an ego driven player from his time at City.

Out of that he gave all the effort he could, took more chances than any other player (and not because he was selfish, because the rest of the team offered him no other option than shooting most of the time) and linked well the few times he had those options.

IMO the crowd was right loudly applauding Mario's efforts when he left the field, and more than all the people blaming that new red for what unluckily happened after he left.

Now I agree on one point : he won't become Suarez, or even Sturridge, so we have to adapt to his own qualities if we want to use him efficiently, and that means having tactics adapted to the use of a less mobile but more athletic forward, and giving him the ball in good positions for him, to exploit his powerful shot for example (Mario most exceptionnal quality imo is how he can shoot at max power and with good accuracy without any momentum, something I don't know more than 5 or 6 strikers able to do in the world, but for that to be usefull you need to have someone else dribbling in front of him, pulling defenders out of the way and passing back to his feet when he's near the entrance of the box, not ask Mario to make deep runs to get the ball in ultra close range or on the sides and beat defenders himself). Yes he tends not to "take the channels', but not because of his ego because playing in the channels is not his best quality, he's best used as an anchor passing to more mobile players or taking his chance from distance.

Anyway, Mario may or not have been the player we should have signed, only time will tell. But for the moment he's a recently signed red making efforts to adapt to his new team, and desserve support more than criticism even if for the moment the end result is missing, YNWA etc...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #354: Sep 28, 2014 01:28:48 pm

See now the easy answer to this would of been to sing "Murdered 4-0, you were murdered 4-0, murdered 4-0" which would of shut them up. Just look at their celebrations for Jag's goal, fellas bouncing over the hoardings running on the pitch and everything. That's how much last season hurt them!

Very frustrated by yesterdays draw, we should of been 3 up at half-time alone, thought Lallana ran his bollocks off, although it's him I would of brought off, not Balotelli.

I think our defence will be sound once it settles down, they actually had a good game together yesterday, Lovren and Skrtel actually talk to each other and look to me at least our two strongest centre-backs, Manquillo is doing alright, but Moreno is our buy of the season so far, he's F***ing excellent, bit silly to give the free-kick away near the end, but F**k it, I like the lad.

Markovic should not have played yesterday, still doesn't look ready for the league just yet, but he should of done a lot better when he got free with that half-chance in the second half. Raheem still needs to sort his decision making out, could of found Balotelli in the first half, if he'd of cut the ball back rather than playing it across goal.

Martin Atkinson badly sh*t himself yesterday as well, should of been a penalty and Barry should of walked, would of easily been a second yellow card offence. c**t.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #355: Sep 28, 2014 01:53:01 pm
      Seriously, how can you find more reasons to blame Balotelli, who was only making his fourth appearance for us, is still adapting to our style...
      I can only speak for myself fella but I 'blamed' no one. Mario is a decent lad by all accounts, a sound bloke and a fine player in his own right but he's neither prolific enough or, more importantly, the 'type' of striker we need for the system we play. [In my opinion].

The problem is, with Mario in the team; as much as I'd like to join you and pretend otherwise, we are having to adopt to his style of play... not the other way 'round and that's the point.

He plays with his back to goal - something which does not compliment "our style" but then, seriously, you probably already knew that.  8)

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #356: Sep 28, 2014 02:16:26 pm
      I can only speak for myself fella but I 'blamed' no one. Mario is a decent lad by all accounts, a sound bloke and a fine player in his own right but he's neither prolific enough or, more importantly, the 'type' of striker we need for the system we play. [In my opinion].

The problem is, with Mario in the team; as much as I'd like to join you and pretend otherwise, we are having to adopt to his style of play... not the other way 'round and that's the point.

He plays with his back to goal - something which does not compliment "our style" but then, seriously, you probably already knew that.  8)

While I agree that at the moment Balotelli's style looks "wrong" for us, I am still hoping that once Sturridge is back they can form a decent partnership.

I am hoping that having a player making runs in front of him will give Balotelli a little more space. I don't expect they will ever be as prolific as the S.A.S. were, but hopefully they can score enough to win us games. 

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #357: Sep 28, 2014 02:25:26 pm
      I gave Box Of Frogs Mario  man Of The Match .
      (I'm the only vote for him!)

Lallana was good but Mario had the shots that he had (more than Everton combined) ....   and for effort he did well.
      Like it has been posted ...if we had of won  there would have plaudits.

He is having a go.
      sonicgeeza
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      • Our History Is Untouchable
      Reply #358: Sep 28, 2014 02:46:16 pm
      Suarez missed a lot of chances in his first full season too. People were saying he wasn't a natural goal scorer..... ;-)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #359: Sep 28, 2014 02:51:29 pm
      I gave Box Of Frogs Mario  man Of The Match .
      (I'm the only vote for him!)

Although, to be honest: you know as much about football as my arse knows about snipe shooting.

Like it has been posted ...if we had of won  there would have plaudits.
      But we didn't and there aren't [If your granny would have had balls and all that] - I don't know how that confuses so many. 

Nice to have you back btw Skip.  ;D
      « Last Edit: Sep 28, 2014 03:02:06 pm by bad boy bubby »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #360: Sep 28, 2014 03:21:51 pm
      One big positive is that our defence actually looked good today. Keeping Lukaku quiet isn't

Everton offered little.  They were poor - Lukaku was garbage - he didn't look that interested out at the side of the pitch.  When Baines wanted to he managed to get down the wing fairly easily.

Disagree that our defence looked good.  A lot of hitting and hope when panic set in - clearances lumped up the pitch landing straight to one of their players inbetween the penalty area and the halfway line.  Lovren was easily outmaneouvred by the hapless Lukaku who should have scored with a simple header.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #361: Sep 28, 2014 03:24:31 pm
      Suarez missed a lot of chances in his first full season too. People were saying he wasn't a natural goal scorer..... ;-)

Wouldn't even try comparing the two though.

Ballotelli nowhere near in the same class.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #362: Sep 28, 2014 03:36:45 pm
      Although, to be honest: you know as much about football as my arse knows about snipe shooting.
      But we didn't and there aren't [If your granny would have had balls and all that] - I don't know how that confuses so many. 

Nice to have you back btw Skip.  ;D

Thanks BB.

Hows yer arse today ?   ;D

Opravdu
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 80 posts |
      Reply #363: Sep 28, 2014 04:17:15 pm
      Overall, yesterday was a game which answered a few questions:

Without Sturridge, we are struggling in front, the deadly association with Sterling is missing. Our new boys. Ballo and Markovic, are not there yet physically, and that is what it is, simply fitness. A few more weeks and they'll be there, comments on the ego of Ballo are for me irrelevant. The lad delivered in other clubs, I'm sure he'll bags his fare share of goals this year.

Next the "drop Gerrard wagon", seriously am I reading right?? Steve will prove you wrong all season long. Suggesting to drop him is for me pure nonsense, especially now! We need him on the pitch because he is simply what we have best for that position and he will (like he did twice already this season) put us out of the hole.  Besides, if a player was so poor, no team would mark him - individually- as it happens now.

Brendan need support, he made some strange calls regarding team selections and subs, fair enough, which are so unusual from him. He looks a bit lonely at the moment (Last year, Sakho wouldnt have dare to leave the game like that, maybe there is a bit of lost of authority there this year, again unusual for Brendan) we just need a bit of momentum going and he needs to be re-assured, and firstly from us!! The man is brilliant, I'm sure he'll get it back on track soon enough.

Forget the title! Although I'm very optimistic for us for the future, we need to call a cat...well a cat! 9 points behind the Chavs and I cant see them dropping much this year! It never play us well being favorite anyway. Let's stop talking about titles and let's "Go Again" next game and see where we are comes January.

Let's win the Champions League and finish 4th, Ill be more than happy with that.

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #364: Sep 29, 2014 12:14:33 am
      I thought we were good overall and were punished for not taking our chances.

A huge discredit to our defence saying that Everton offered very little, it was the case but the reason was we were solid defensively and I recall Everton getting in the box twice in 90 minutes. Let's hopefully build on this and roll Basel over, on a side note embarrassing posts from some "fans" in this and the Rodgers thread.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #365: Sep 29, 2014 09:19:34 am
      We slaughtered them in the same fixture last yr. Yes we weren't dismal like some of our recent games. But so what, we DREW with this monkey team. Team without a soul. Bet Henry's sitting on his yacht chuckling to himself, thinking "grounds still full, champs lge revenue, Suarez money for the stand, I don't see a problem". To me and most suppoorters I spk to, the Liverpool of old no longer exists. We used to talk about crisis being 2nd, or 3rd. If we finish 5th, you can bet some people will sugar coat the sh*t. Unless Sterling and Sturr seriously step it up for us together, I could see another 5 yrs in the wilderness. And God knows what after that.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #366: Sep 29, 2014 09:39:56 am
      We slaughtered them in the same fixture last yr. Yes we weren't dismal like some of our recent games. But so what, we DREW with this monkey team. Team without a soul. Bet Henry's sitting on his yacht chuckling to himself, thinking "grounds still full, champs lge revenue, Suarez money for the stand, I don't see a problem". To me and most suppoorters I spk to, the Liverpool of old no longer exists. We used to talk about crisis being 2nd, or 3rd. If we finish 5th, you can bet some people will sugar coat the sh*t. Unless Sterling and Sturr seriously step it up for us together, I could see another 5 yrs in the wilderness. And God knows what after that.

ah yes, when my monday mornings aren't depressing enough, i can always rely on you to top it up.

i imagine that's exactly what henry is doing because you know, successful businessmen love watching their ventures falter. great analysis.

moving on...i still believe this team is much much better than the results suggest so far. will come good.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #367: Sep 29, 2014 09:48:09 am

The mods are about the only people that are following your negativity.
      For Jesus sake support the club instead of constantly sniping at it's very base.

Quick Reply