Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. UPDATE: 6th April - Will we get top 4?

No
      115 (75.2%)
      Yes
      38 (24.8%)

Total Members Voted: 150

The Top 4. Can we get there?

Read 124041 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: The Top 4. Can we get there?
      Reply #621: Feb 02, 2015 11:48:14 am
      5 points off 3rd.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #622: Feb 02, 2015 11:58:24 am
      Southampton beat us and they're finishing above us.  That's my view.  Also applies equally to United and Arsenal.

Great shout this... loads of pressure in these games... Id put the Spurs match - which is tomorrow week - in that too
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,787 posts | 573 
      Reply #623: Feb 02, 2015 12:59:19 pm
      We are the premierships form team...granted we have played a load of sh*te...but stats are there to cheer you up sometimes.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/form-guide.html
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #624: Feb 02, 2015 01:27:41 pm
      The way the fixtures have fallen it's possible that when we come to the Spurs, Southampton and mancs games that we could go above each of them if we win.  Obviously it'll depend on results before we get to those games but if we keep on winning then we'll catch those above us slowly but surely.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #625: Feb 02, 2015 01:34:52 pm
      Still a tough ask. Our form has been excellent for a little while now BUT there is very little room for error and a couple of bad results could see us cut adrift pretty quickly given how well the likes of Spurs and Arsenal are playing. The lads have been playing as well as any side in the league as proven by two excellent performances against Chelsea, we've tightened up defensively and have finally got a proper striker back in the squad so it's all there to really push on from here.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #626: Feb 02, 2015 01:36:30 pm
      if we win UTD,Spurs and southampton game I think we will get it as it will dent the other teams confidence
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #627: Feb 02, 2015 02:00:46 pm
      Technically we drew both

However I do lean to your way of thinking, we didn't win the tie but what we showed and what we have shown in recent weeks shows us there is plenty to hold on to

True, I just meant that being capable of winning and actually winning are two different things. We played some excellent football in both matches but we failed to defend and we failed to score when necessary. Ultimately both failures cost us the game and ultimately both failures have cost us all season. It's no use throwing wave upon wave of attack at the opposition goal if you can't stick the ball in the back of the net or concede a goal on the first set piece. We simply have to be better in both boxes, not in the middle of the park.

I'm not overly pessimistic about the next run of games, I'm simply not filled with blind optimism because of two games we played well in but ultimately failed to win. Make no bones about it, this run of games is our toughest test of the season so far and we'll have a better idea of our top four chances one this run is over. It maybe a cliché but if we're to have a chance of finishing in the top four, every game between now and the end of the season is a cup final.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #628: Feb 02, 2015 02:20:12 pm
      We are the premierships form team...granted we have played a load of sh*te...but stats are there to cheer you up sometimes.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/form-guide.html

Just an observation based on that form table.
      10 points behind City.
      7 points taken out of their lead in the last 6 games.

The top of the table is very close this season.
      Normally you'd expect a massive gap to be opening up between the top 4 and the rest.
      10 points between 2nd and 7th.
      Surely that's the lowest it's ever been.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #629: Feb 02, 2015 03:11:54 pm
      Normally you'd expect a massive gap to be opening up between the top 4 and the rest.

After 23 games last season there were 13 points separating 1st to 7th.  The gap this season from Chelsea to us in 7th is 15 points.

The also rans, like you suggest are much tighter.

Positions 3rd to 6th were separated by 8 points at this stage last season whereas United (3rd) down to Spurs (6th) have just a 3 point gap this time.

To get into third we will need to be picking up a minimum of 1 point more than Man Utd every 3 games for the rest of the season.  It's a big ask and this is why I still believe that if we lose to any of United, Arsenal, Spurs then it's likely they will finish above us. Got to beat at least two of them. Plus Southampton.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #630: Feb 02, 2015 03:35:10 pm
      After 23 games last season there were 13 points separating 1st to 7th.  The gap this season from Chelsea to us in 7th is 15 points.

The also rans, like you suggest are much tighter.

Positions 3rd to 6th were separated by 8 points at this stage last season whereas United (3rd) down to Spurs (6th) have just a 3 point gap this time.

To get into third we will need to be picking up a minimum of 1 point more than Man Utd every 3 games for the rest of the season.  It's a big ask and this is why I still believe that if we lose to any of United, Arsenal, Spurs then it's likely they will finish above us. Got to beat at least two of them. Plus Southampton.

Absolutely. To maintain the PPG then wins are a must.
      Anything else and the top 4 is gone.
      Even now Arsenal aren't dropping enough points.

If it was down to just them I'd have more reservations,
      but United and Southampton are well within reach, given current form.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #631: Feb 02, 2015 04:22:30 pm
      In the second half of last season we won 15 matches, lost 1, drew 3. With Sturridge coming back (hopefully fit for every game!) and with the league being so weak this season, I wouldn't be surprised if we come close to matching that feat. So far, we've won 4, lost none, drew 1.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #632: Feb 02, 2015 08:37:39 pm
      Just an observation based on that form table.
      10 points behind City.
      7 points taken out of their lead in the last 6 games.

Surely that's the lowest it's ever been.

Its actually the best way to look at it. In the last 6, we have gained 5 points on chelsea, 5 on UTD and 3 on Spurs and Arsenal. I would say continue this form and in 6 games we will be in a great position. 10 points from next 4 would see us in a great position altogether.

TALL ASK considering the games are all against top 5 and everton.

Coutinho, Sakho, Sterling and Lucas are what I see as the most important players we have in achieving 4th.
      Coutinho is literally a god of football right now. Adds goals to his game and he will be the best player in the League.
      Sakho has all the attributes to being the best ball playing Centre Half in the league.
      Sterling will now drop back a touch and his onslaught of defenses and his 1/2 with Coutinho are going to make Danny look better than he is( and he is that good already)... cant miss the chances these lads will put on a plate for him.
      Lucas and Hendo have an absolute brilliant partnership.... but Lucas is the key ingredient in it. Its not a coincidence that the only game we have lost, he didnt play and the Chelsea game was 184 mins of footie before they scored from open play, which he was rightly knackered and out of position when they scored. He is possibly the most important of all.

We can get 4th+ as long as the aforementioned stay fit and keep this form up.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #633: Feb 02, 2015 10:18:09 pm
      Just watched 12min 82 goals of Suarez genius. He was an amazing talent. To think what one more season could of got us out of that chap.

Grass aint that greener over there either.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #634: Feb 02, 2015 10:29:17 pm
      Just watched 12min 82 goals of Suarez genius. He was an amazing talent. To think what one more season could of got us out of that chap.

Grass aint that greener over there either.

Have you watched him this season (and the back end of last season)? We may have seen the best of him...
      Anyway its Sturridges time now. Time to rip it up Danny boy

On top 4 I strongly feel we'll hunt Utd down. Watched them all year yet to be impressed, we'll tear them to shreds at Anfield
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #635: Feb 02, 2015 10:32:50 pm
      After a few weeks back being one of the very few who thought we still had a shot and advising everyone to get on at 8/1, now we've hit form and are playing well I'd be urging a little caution. We're 9/2 now, and given it'll turn (IMHO) into a three horse race for two spots (between us, the Mancs and Arsenal) even that might look like a big price, but it isn't in my view.

I still think the predictions people are making on here as to how many points are needed are wrong. It feels like a season to me where about eight or nine teams could potentially go down, while ten or twelve could reach European places. As such, as we come towards the end of the season there will be twists and turns and all teams will drop points. We DON'T need to win at Everton, nor is it a MUST WIN when we play at Home to Spurs. It's the results together which count. Lose at Everton then we could really do with beating Spurs, win at Everton and a draw would probably suffice.

If Sturridge stays fit I think we'll at the very least go very close. Certainly we are currently IMHO one of the best four teams in the league.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #636: Feb 03, 2015 09:49:20 am
      After a few weeks back being one of the very few who thought we still had a shot and advising everyone to get on at 8/1, now we've hit form and are playing well I'd be urging a little caution. We're 9/2 now, and given it'll turn (IMHO) into a three horse race for two spots (between us, the Mancs and Arsenal) even that might look like a big price, but it isn't in my view.

I still think the predictions people are making on here as to how many points are needed are wrong. It feels like a season to me where about eight or nine teams could potentially go down, while ten or twelve could reach European places. As such, as we come towards the end of the season there will be twists and turns and all teams will drop points. We DON'T need to win at Everton, nor is it a MUST WIN when we play at Home to Spurs. It's the results together which count. Lose at Everton then we could really do with beating Spurs, win at Everton and a draw would probably suffice.

If Sturridge stays fit I think we'll at the very least go very close. Certainly we are currently IMHO one of the best four teams in the league.

Think Spurs will be up there too Mick... the young Kane boy is on fire and they still have to play everyone! I think they are a genuine threat

Big midweek game against them next week ... massive!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #637: Feb 03, 2015 10:04:20 am

Think Spurs will be up there too Mick... the young Kane boy is on fire and they still have to play everyone! I think they are a genuine threat

Big midweek game against them next week ... massive!

Dont worry we will put them in their place on 10th Feb   8)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #638: Feb 03, 2015 11:24:55 am

I have an each way Title bet from the start of the season.
      Probably got smaller odds than the top 4 bet you were on about.
      Damn.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #639: Feb 04, 2015 10:41:57 am
      Have you watched him this season (and the back end of last season)? We may have seen the best of him...
      Anyway its Sturridges time now. Time to rip it up Danny boy

On top 4 I strongly feel we'll hunt Utd down. Watched them all year yet to be impressed, we'll tear them to shreds at Anfield

I agree... we'll thrash them at home
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #640: Feb 06, 2015 04:23:40 pm
      800 minutes since we conceded a goal from open play.....
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #641: Feb 08, 2015 07:42:52 pm
      So we missed a chance to close the gap this weekend, but thankfully other results mean we didn't lose any ground  :gt-happyup:
      The Spurs match is going to be huge for us, a win will really set us up for a big push, a defeat will mean we need help from.others, even with plenty of games left.

Some big Anfield nights and days ahead folks. Bring it the F**k on!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #642: Feb 08, 2015 10:11:11 pm
      Here's an indication of how sh*t the start of the season was.
      Bearing in mind the recent form.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #643: Feb 08, 2015 10:52:48 pm
      Massive results needed from the next 2 league games.

Do Spurs and Southampton and we are more than on track.

Quick Reply