Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. UPDATE: 6th April - Will we get top 4?

No
      115 (75.2%)
      Yes
      38 (24.8%)

Total Members Voted: 150

The Top 4. Can we get there?

Read 124044 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: The Top 4. Can we get there?
      Reply #575: Jan 18, 2015 01:36:49 pm
      You will not get an easy game in the Premier league unless that team has a bad day. There's no point saying we are only beating the lesser teams, even City and Chelsea have struggled against so called weaker teams. Every win should be celebrated.

The table at the end usually reflects thIe standard of each team, the best team ( the team with the best players and manager) will usually finish 1st and so on, realistically a title challenge should be beyond us, but finishing in the top 4 would be a great achievement, all things considered, although not good enough for a team of our size.

There's a difference between a 'lesser team' and a 'lesser clubs'. The latter doesn't exist. The former is based upon current form. Look at who we've played since Arsenal. Burnley, Swansea, Leicester, Sunderland, Villa, four of those five are in a relegation battle. That's hardly a test of our top four credentials. Besides, it's a moot point. Unless we take maximum points off the teams above us we simply cannot close the gap on them. Draws do us no good. We need to win these games. By the third week in March we'll have a clearer picture of our chances. That's when I'd suggest the next poll goes up.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #576: Jan 18, 2015 01:41:54 pm
      5 points behind Utd and still to play them at Anfield
      Saints are 7 ahead we still have to play them away
      Arse hopefully lose today and we are 1 pt behind we play them away.

Win those games and its much closer to Top 4.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #577: Jan 18, 2015 01:46:19 pm
      Been saying it all season, finish above Arsenal and we're in. Cheer on Man City today, simples.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #578: Jan 18, 2015 04:40:58 pm
      It's a difficult one for me this.

On the one hand: the optimist in me, [the side which never bets against us or predicts anything other than a Reds victory], believes we can do it - even if it will be down to the inconsistent form of others around us, as much as our form. On the other hand: the pessimist in me [the side which deals in logic and Maths], has serious doubts.

In our last six games we've had a good run of results - 14 points from a possible 18 - which seen us unbeaten and whilst we have moved from 11th to 7th in that time, we have still only made up 2 points on 4th place. Brendan, famously, looks at clusters of games - I would have imagined he'd have looked at those six and believed 14 points was well within our capabilities

Our next 6 = West Ham (H); Everton (A); Spurs (H); Southampton (A); Man City (H); Burnley (H).

Team in 4th's next 6 = Leicester (H); West Ham (A); Burnley (H); Swansea (A); Sunderland (H); Newcastle (A).

Can we do it? Well yes... as long as no team, above us, hits the form which we are hoping to.

Pretty much how I see it as well Mouse.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,649 posts | 3918 
      Reply #579: Jan 18, 2015 05:37:32 pm
      F**k me lucky we got a result this weekend because everyone around us won
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #580: Jan 18, 2015 05:48:20 pm
      We won but otherwise a bad weekend with Spurs, the mighty West Ham, Saints and Arsenal all winning :(
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #581: Jan 18, 2015 05:59:16 pm
      Huge result for Arsenal there.

Not surprising the bookies have reacted by making them and the mancs both 1/3 favourites to make the top 4 and as I've said for most of the season I think Arsenal are nailed on. Our biggest chance was beating the mancs with them having to change everything.

Now that they've settled their ship we've got a huge task on. 6/1 for us getting there is fair and our only hope is that we get Studge fit for the big games because we're going to need maximum points off all our competition, can't see it myself.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Reply #582: Jan 18, 2015 06:09:13 pm
      Huge result for Arsenal there.

Not surprising the bookies have reacted by making them and the mancs both 1/3 favourites to make the top 4 and as I've said for most of the season I think Arsenal are nailed on. Our biggest chance was beating the mancs with them having to change everything.

Now that they've settled their ship we've got a huge task on. 6/1 for us getting there is fair and our only hope is that we get Studge fit for the big games because we're going to need maximum points off all our competition, can't see it myself.

4th will be tough mate but I think the Scum and Saints will drop more points than us from here on in so it's still within our reach. We might have a shot at winning the Europa League too.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #583: Jan 18, 2015 06:16:36 pm
      Been saying it all season, finish above Arsenal and we're in. Cheer on Man City today, simples.

I would have thought so earlier in the season, Mick. But the way Utd and Arsenal are looking, it'll be Arsenal 3rd for me. It's Utd we'll have to take out.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 2823 
      Reply #584: Jan 18, 2015 06:46:25 pm
      To get 14 points from 18 and only close the gap by two points shows the magnitude of the task ahead. United are back playing sh*te and digging out results, Southampton have recovered from their dodgy spell in some style whilst Spurs and Arsenal are starting to find some form as well.

To stand a chance I think we'll have to beat the four teams challenging us for top four which will be very difficult but if Sturridge can hit the ground running and the players playing well right now continue to do so there's a still a chance.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #585: Jan 18, 2015 08:06:58 pm

Our next 6 = West Ham (H); Everton (A); Spurs (H); Southampton (A); Man City (H); Burnley (H).

sh*t the first 5 of them are all going to be tough games. Let's hope maximum points are gained.

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #586: Jan 18, 2015 09:19:57 pm
      Basically this league is won and lost against the bottom half. Must win all those games we are expected to win and hope the rest slip up. If they dont then we just have to make sure we beat them when we play em.

We are going through a good spell but have some tough fixtures still to play and they will be a real test.

In the history of the BPL, no team outside the top6 at New years day have ever got top 4.

Would be great if we could... Record breakers.

Think we will get a cup this season.... Hopefully the hardest one of all... Europa
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #587: Jan 18, 2015 09:28:49 pm

Seriously tough fixtures. Our final position is made and lost in those fixtures.

West ham should be 3, Everton 3, Burnley3, Spuds 3 (if you want to get 4th) and I would take 1 from each of the Saints city games.

14/18 points would be epic.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #588: Jan 18, 2015 10:26:24 pm
      Sh*t the first 5 of them are all going to be tough games. Let's hope maximum points are gained.

The 7th game is Man Utd.

It's going to be a real test of whether we've improved or whether we have just been facing some sub standard opposition.

Still of the opinion that we are not good enough for the top four and still too unreliable at both ends of the pitch.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #589: Jan 19, 2015 08:18:20 am
      Long long way to go yet. We're barely past the half way point, and now Arsenal are a point behind the Mancs (I think, I haven't rechecked it). In the last five matches it could and will all change, we are plenty close enough to get there.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #590: Jan 19, 2015 11:08:54 am
      We are the Lennox Lewis of the division; can knock anyone out but have a glass jaw.

The way the first half of the season has gone with all teams taking points off each other we are on track to make the top four.

If things settle down to their normal order with the top teams beating the hell out of everyone else we will have to find a way to become more consistent or we will miss out.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #591: Jan 19, 2015 11:32:02 am
      Basically this league is won and lost against the bottom half.

Neil Atkinson often says on TAW about quality foreign players coming in and at some point realising that 70% of the players and team in this league are sh*te and they can do what they want to them. He said recently that Markovic looks to be working that out.

I tend to agree with him

To get top 4 in this league you essentially need to be a flat track bully and consistent against that sh*te..

To win the league you have to do that and best your rivals who aren't sh*te
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #592: Jan 19, 2015 11:42:43 am
      We won but it was still a bad weekend for us.

Expected Spurs and Mancs to win but didn't see the Arsenal and Southampton results coming. Not worried about West Ham one bit, we will put them out the race for fourth when they come to Anfield in two weeks.

I still believe Southampton will drop off. As organised as they are and how impressive their work rate is, I believe come May quality will show and I don't think they have enough.

Spurs won't do as well in the head to heads and therefore it's a three horse race for two spots between us, the mancs and arsenal.

February is crucial. Everton (A), Spurs (H), Southampton (A). Anything less then 7 points and we might be trouble.

I still think we will finish top 4 though. I believe we are still the best team in the league when we turn up and play. Consistency is key.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #593: Jan 19, 2015 07:36:31 pm
      The 7th game is Man Utd.

It's going to be a real test of whether we've improved or whether we have just been facing some sub standard opposition.

Still of the opinion that we are not good enough for the top four and still too unreliable at both ends of the pitch.

We owe those Manc cu*ts a twatting. That game should be easiest out of the 7.  ;D  Playing those cu*ts at home, we owe them a beating and some humiliation. Let's hope we inflict it on them.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #594: Jan 19, 2015 10:53:11 pm
      Last 16 League games of a season under Brendan;

2012/13
      2013/14

Won;

Drew;

Lost;

Scored;

Conceded;

Points;

Now I'm not expecting us to hit the sort of numbers we did last year but what is noticeable is that we do come on much stronger in the latter stages of a season. Just three defeats in the last 32 games of a season under Brendan Rodgers.

If we take a medium (I think that's the right mathematical term) to predict this season, then it'll look something like this. (and yes I know football doesn't work like this but anyway)

2012/13
      2013/14
      2014/15

Won;

Drew;

Lost;

Scored;

Conceded;

Points;

Add those 34 points to the 35 we've already got, would 69 points be enough for 4th?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #595: Jan 19, 2015 10:59:12 pm
      Last 16 League games of a season under Brendan;

2012/13
      2013/14

Won;

Drew;

Lost;

Scored;

Conceded;

Points;

Now I'm not expecting us to hit the sort of numbers we did last year but what is noticeable is that we do come on much stronger in the latter stages of a season. Just three defeats in the last 32 games of a season under Brendan Rodgers.

If we take a medium (I think that's the right mathematical term) to predict this season, then it'll look something like this. (and yes I know football doesn't work like this but anyway)

2012/13
      2013/14
      2014/15

Won;

Drew;

Lost;

Scored;

Conceded;

Points;

Add those 34 points to the 35 we've already got, would 69 points be enough for 4th?

I reckon this season with 69 we would be in the mix, fingers crossed.

LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #596: Jan 20, 2015 12:03:38 am
      Going to need 72 points or more...
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #597: Jan 20, 2015 10:57:06 am
      There are 16 games left and we are 7 points behind Southampton. I do think they'll run out of steam and drop off but lets assume they won't.

Their goal difference is 17+ more than ours which will be difficult to catch so we need them to lose at least 3 games to capitalise on them.

We should allow ourselves to lose 3 games in our next 16 which is quite realistic, therefore we need Southampton to lose at least 6.

Will Southampton lose 6+ games in their next 16? I'm not quite sure.

Presuming we will lose around 3 games in our next 16, We will need the Mancs, Arsenal, Spurs all to lose 5.

The head to heads are massive and we must win each one. A draw won't be good enough for us. And we must hope that when the teams chasing fourth face each other they draw and both drop 2 points!

Quick Reply