Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. UPDATE: 6th April - Will we get top 4?

No
      115 (75.2%)
      Yes
      38 (24.8%)

Total Members Voted: 150

The Top 4. Can we get there?

Read 124132 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Re: The Top 4. Can we get there?
      Reply #713: Feb 22, 2015 10:44:03 am
      Six points a necessity today - the result could totally turn our season around.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #714: Feb 22, 2015 11:55:58 am
      If we win today, not top 4 but top 3. A draw will leave everything open.

West Ham to win today as well.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #715: Feb 22, 2015 12:05:42 pm

:aaliverpool2xt1: :oranje: :kop5cf8koxp6: :ernaehrung004:

Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #716: Feb 22, 2015 12:30:08 pm
      I think it will be very close ,for me its going to come down to people like Allan ,Henderson, Ibe and Moreno to score some goals we are lacking a few ,Lalana Couts and Lazar are doing ok but you can never get enough goals.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #717: Feb 22, 2015 06:48:15 pm
      Computer says yes.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #718: Feb 22, 2015 08:23:28 pm
      Down to 15/8 now, and clearly we are the form team in the league, I read somewhere that had it started at Crimbo we'd be a few points clear by now. Unfortunately of course it didn't, and because we are coming from out of the clouds, our fabulous run has only got us into contention. My feelings of earlier that if we finished above Arsenal we'd definitely get in is looking like a good call, and my guess is that we probably need to at least avoid defeat against the mancs at Home to be serious contenders. Onwards and upwards.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #719: Feb 22, 2015 08:32:38 pm
      Top 7 games left for clubs placed 3rd to 7th.

Arsenal, Southampton, Spurs all got an advantage in the final 12 games?

LFC

Chelsea (A)
      Man City (H)
      Arsenal (A)
      Man Utd (H)

Arsenal

Chelsea (H)
      Man Utd (A)

Man Utd

Chelsea (A)
      Man City (H)
      Arsenal (H)
      Liverpool (A)
      Spurs (H)

Southampton

Chelsea (A)
      Man City (A)
      Spurs (H)

Spurs

Man City (H)
      Man Utd (A)
      Southampton (A)
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #720: Feb 22, 2015 08:36:17 pm
      16 points from 18. Last 6 games we have gained 6 points on all Spuds, ManU and Southampton. Top work.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #721: Feb 22, 2015 08:38:22 pm
      At this rate come the end of the season we'll be challenging for 2nd spot never mind 4th. We are absolutely back in contention again now and we really should be able to get at least 4th.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #722: Feb 22, 2015 08:40:56 pm
      Top 7 games left for clubs placed 3rd to 7th.

Arsenal, Southampton, Spurs all got an advantage in the final 12 games?

LFC

Chelsea (A)
      Man City (H)
      Arsenal (A)
      Man Utd (H)

Arsenal

Chelsea (H)
      Man Utd (A)

Man Utd

Chelsea (A)
      Man City (H)
      Arsenal (H)
      Liverpool (A)
      Spurs (H)

Southampton

Chelsea (A)
      Man City (A)
      Spurs (H)

Spurs

Man City (H)
      Man Utd (A)
      Southampton (A)

Doesnt paint a great picture.... but this league is daft... Swansea beat UTD twice this season. There will be plenty more dropped points outside potential top4 matches. Just so happens our run of form is holding those lower teams at bay.

Basically need to keep this form going. 2.5+ppg is top 4 standard any day of the week. We are at 2.66 for the last 6 games and 2.42 ppg this year...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #723: Feb 22, 2015 08:41:51 pm
      Southampton and Spurs are now IMHO out of it. I know that's not mathematically the case by any means, but I wouldn't be having any money on either. Arsenal will definitely get in IMHO along with Chelsea and Citeh, and it's a straight dogfight between us and the Mancs for fourth. Obviously we are a better team than them, but they do have a lead on us so if they were to beat us at Home we are bang up against it.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #724: Feb 22, 2015 08:44:47 pm
      At this rate come the end of the season we'll be challenging for 2nd spot never mind 4th. We are absolutely back in contention again now and we really should be able to get at least 4th.

45 points 12 games remaining... 2.5ppg avg and that gives us a tally of 75points. Probably wont be enough for 2nd but could push 3rd for sure. Wouldnt have been enough to get us into top 4 last season, but this season is so much worse standard wise. The 2 previous seasons, 75 would have seen 3rd place. The 2010 season 75 points has 2nd.

That said, 78% of all stats are made up. Ha
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #725: Feb 22, 2015 08:46:40 pm
      Southampton and Spurs are now IMHO out of it. I know that's not mathematically the case by any means, but I wouldn't be having any money on either. Arsenal will definitely get in IMHO along with Chelsea and Citeh, and it's a straight dogfight between us and the Mancs for fourth. Obviously we are a better team than them, but they do have a lead on us so if they were to beat us at Home we are bang up against it.

I will decide next sunday if we can or can not get 4th. 1 point and we may be able, 3 and we definitely can/will, zero and I dont think we will. Its that simple really... Ha
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #726: Feb 22, 2015 08:50:02 pm
      Ifs, buts and maybes aside, had we of held our own for that 1st patch of games, say the 1st 12 and done enough to stay around top 4.... which any good standard could have, we would have had 5 points more now. That my friends is the difference in defo getting 4th place and potentially missing out on it.... But alas, we dont make like easy on ourselves.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #727: Feb 22, 2015 08:50:41 pm
      Ifs, buts and maybes aside, had we of held our own for that 1st patch of games, say the 1st 12 and done enough to stay around top 4.... which any good standard could have, we would have had 5 points more now. That my friends is the difference in defo getting 4th place and potentially missing out on it.... But alas, we dont make like easy on ourselves.

Not even just that.  Look at the two draws with Everton.  Should have won both of those - there's 4 points dropped.

Probably wont be enough for 2nd but could push 3rd for sure.

No it won't be.  Can't see Yaya Toure Football Club getting less than 20 points from the next 36.  The highest we can finish, IMO, is 3rd.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #728: Feb 22, 2015 08:56:32 pm
      No it won't be.  Can't see Yaya Toure Football Club getting less than 20 points from the next 36.  The highest we can finish, IMO, is 3rd.

Hate doing it to myself, but I always look at GD and games lost to sort out the correct top 4 positions, based on the theory that some teams could have just had an easier run of games and on the last day, it will have evened out. So based on that, UTD will get 4th and us 5th.

Heres hoping that wont be the case but, it has been for the past... 5 seasons.... Boooooo
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #729: Feb 22, 2015 08:58:32 pm
      Not even just that.  Look at the two draws with Everton.  Should have won both of those - there's 4 points dropped.

Ye true, but those draws and weird results even themselves out over the course of the league, due to the fact that they happen to most. BUT our form was crazily off for the 1st 12 so had that not have been the case we would have had 5 more points.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #730: Feb 22, 2015 09:00:28 pm
      Arsenal will get 3rd. They are masters at beating average teams this time of the season and doing just enough. Against good teams they usually lose, but there's not enough good teams in the league to beat them.

We need to get the bit between our teeth and go for wins against everyone. Utd's away record is poor so I'm confident, barring major injuries to Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Skrtel, Sahko, Henderson, we can get 4th.

I'm worried the Europa league will tire us though compared to Utd. I'd rest a few of our big players Thursday and only use them from the bench if we need them.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #731: Feb 22, 2015 09:01:05 pm
      As much as I would love us to beat city next week, I don't winning or losing it as being the difference between qualifying for the CL or not. City still have to play UTD, Spurs and Southampton, and I expect them to win all those games.
      Beating City would give us a huge physiological lift for the remaining games.
      Even when things weren't going well earlier in the season I expected us to finish strongly, and make the top 4. I Now expect us to Win the FA cup, Europa league, and Finish in the top 4!
      No I'm not drunk by the way!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #732: Feb 22, 2015 09:13:46 pm
      As much as I would love us to beat city next week, I don't winning or losing it as being the difference between qualifying for the CL or not. City still have to play UTD, Spurs and Southampton, and I expect them to win all those games.
      Beating City would give us a huge physiological lift for the remaining games.
      Even when things weren't going well earlier in the season I expected us to finish strongly, and make the top 4. I Now expect us to Win the FA cup, Europa league, and Finish in the top 4!
      No I'm not drunk by the way!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

In the long run, a draw could be par for the course in that match next week. A win though would be stunning for our chances.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #733: Feb 22, 2015 09:42:08 pm
      In the long run, a draw could be par for the course in that match next week. A win though would be stunning for our chances.

A draw wouldn't be the worst result, but I think we could edge it.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #734: Feb 22, 2015 09:45:36 pm
      Said it before, I think we'll finish third.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #735: Feb 22, 2015 10:05:36 pm
      "The one team you don't want back in it is Liverpool, and they're back in it" Thierry Henry.

Form team. Hunting down 3rd.

Quick Reply