Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will LFC qualify from Group B? (Poll after Basel (A) defeat)

Yes
      40 (62.5%)
      No
      24 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: Oct 09, 2014 12:21:11 pm

Will we qualify out of the group? (Vote after Basel away game)

Read 6531 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Will we qualify out of the group? (Vote after Basel away game)
      Reply #46: Oct 02, 2014 09:00:45 pm
      If Basel win home and away against Ludogrets then I think we will be in trouble. In all honesty, we are likely to get a spanking by Madrid home and away if we continue this form so I wouldn't be surprised if we are soon venturing into Thursday nights for European football.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Re: Will we qualify out of the group?
      Reply #47: Oct 02, 2014 09:13:39 pm
      Presumably you haven't been to a Liverpool v Real Madrid game then.

I have  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

I haven't, you are correct. However, many people have noted how atrocious our atmosphere has been of late. What is this down to? The way tickets are allocated or are the fans still wounded from last season's ending?

There is no indication that our fans will turn up loud and proud, unless most of them are usually travelling fans and not on some Shitty business trip.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #48: Oct 02, 2014 09:28:10 pm
      Quite frankly, the other teams seem to want it more. We'll be lucky to make the UEFA/Europa Cup at this rate :f_tongueincheek:
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #49: Oct 02, 2014 09:30:17 pm
      Presumably you haven't been to a Liverpool v Real Madrid game then.

I have  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

It's a fu*king disgrace if the fans and players can only seem to rouse themselves for the 'big' occassions.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #50: Oct 02, 2014 09:42:27 pm
      I haven't, you are correct. However, many people have noted how atrocious our atmosphere has been of late. What is this down to? The way tickets are allocated or are the fans still wounded from last season's ending?

There is no indication that our fans will turn up loud and proud, unless most of them are usually travelling fans and not on some Shitty business trip.

In fairness it would help if we had something to cheer about. The fact that we can't buy a win right now and our performances are utter turd lead to more groaning than singing.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #51: Oct 02, 2014 09:49:29 pm
      In fairness it would help if we had something to cheer about. The fact that we can't buy a win right now and our performances are utter turd lead to more groaning than singing.

That's when a team needs its "fans" the most. Anyone can turn up and be in jolly good form when there team is whacking everyone 3 and 4 nil and playing super football. Its when the football is less flowing and the results and goals aren't coming that's when the crowd are needed 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #52: Oct 02, 2014 10:55:20 pm
      It's kind of sad how many of our "supporters" have resigned themselves to believing that we are done and dusted already.

Like thinking Real Madrid can't be beat, that's defeatist and foolish thinking in my opinion.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #53: Oct 02, 2014 11:04:58 pm
      It's not over in this group yet.
      Expect Madrid to top the table.
      But Ludogrets could take easily points of Basel, the Swiss were no world beaters.
      We beat Basel at home, take something from Ludogrets away, and get something out of the Madrid matches, we won't be far off.
      Glass still half full :)
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #54: Oct 03, 2014 12:47:07 am
      There won't be four places soon if Liverpool and City don't pull their fingers out and qualify for the next round. The number of places your country has is determined by your country's success in the competition.

Wasn't there a new ruling that came out in force last year to say that we could potentially get 5 spots for Champions League football should an EPL team win the UEFA cup?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #55: Oct 03, 2014 02:50:35 am
      I think we need to get at least a point from Madrid in the next game and hope Ludogretz do the same against or better against Basel.

Madrid have not been crash hot themselves they laboured to victory last night and have allready lost twice in the Liga.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #56: Oct 03, 2014 07:25:13 am
      If we can do a RAFA on Real Madrid then have no fear we can beat them. And Rafa beat Parry as well in Madrid if I remember correctly.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #57: Oct 03, 2014 07:29:13 am
      but do I want them to go thru? Not sure

Do you sit in the Main Stand? Unbelievable!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #58: Oct 03, 2014 07:40:37 am
      Wow 34% believe will not go through is that a reflection of our poor form at the moment or a mixture of johnny come lately fans/poor form.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #59: Oct 03, 2014 08:20:24 am
      Wasn't there a new ruling that came out in force last year to say that we could potentially get 5 spots for Champions League football should an EPL team win the UEFA cup?

Yeah mate but it all depends on whether or not the Champions League winner would have qualified for next year's Champions League through their league position anyway. So if Real Madrid retained the Champions League but they finished fifth in La Liga then they'd compete in the Champions League next year anyway whilst the Europa League winner would probably have to go through the qualification stages.

But if Real Madrid retained the Champions League and finished 1st/2nd/3rd/4th in La Liga and the Europa League winner was an English club then they'd qualify for the Champions League group stages and we would potentially have 5 English clubs in the Champions League (if the 4th place team goes through the final qualification round).

So even if the worst happened this season and we dropped out of the Champions League and into the Europa League and we won the Europa League (which I wouldn't really mind because it's a trophy and we'd have the highest amount of Europa League/UEFA Cup wins if we won it), but we finished outside of the Top 4 and the winner of the Champions League qualified directly then we'd qualify for the champions league too.

All of that means f*ck all though if the Europa League winner qualifies for the Champions League through their league position because even if the Europa League winner was an English side but they finished in the Top 4 there'd only be 4 English sides in the Champions League next season.

Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,627 posts | 128 
      Reply #60: Oct 03, 2014 08:45:11 am
      wow.... there are 4 games still to come, so 12 points are still on the table. Of course we will go through. We have 3 points after two games, it is not really good but also not really bad.

Madrid is a big game, big games also have something unpredictable in it. So relax people ;)
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #61: Oct 03, 2014 10:26:16 am
      I think we will need to see a big improvement to get through , and at the moment its hard to see where we are going to make enough of one , I certainly hope so I think certain players need a look at the shirt and what it means ..
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #62: Oct 03, 2014 11:36:25 am
      wow.... there are 4 games still to come, so 12 points are still on the table. Of course we will go through. We have 3 points after two games, it is not really good but also not really bad.

Madrid is a big game, big games also have something unpredictable in it. So relax people ;)

It's nothing to do with the mathematics of the situation, it's the manner of our performances. Have you seen anything this season from Liverpool to suggest we're even remotely capable of picking up twelve points? If we're to have a chance we need to significantly up our game and Rodgers needs to scrap this hair brained nonsense of picking the team five matches in advance and his rotation policy so early in the season.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,627 posts | 128 
      Reply #63: Oct 03, 2014 12:00:51 pm
      It's nothing to do with the mathematics of the situation, it's the manner of our performances. Have you seen anything this season from Liverpool to suggest we're even remotely capable of picking up twelve points? If we're to have a chance we need to significantly up our game and Rodgers needs to scrap this hair brained nonsense of picking the team five matches in advance and his rotation policy so early in the season.

I agree that we need a big rise of our performances and stop the rotation thing. And no there is not much positiv to take from the start of the season but the point is, we don't have bad players they just lack confidence at the moment and need more play time together. Sometimes  you just need one game that can work as a catalyst to up our performance

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #64: Oct 03, 2014 01:27:17 pm

Has nothing to do with last season. The kop has been dead for years. Its a cross between boring old season ticket holders and tourists. If we went back to pay on the gate then the atmosphere would be electric every week.

It's a fu*king disgrace if the fans and players can only seem to rouse themselves for the 'big' occassions.

I agree but right or wrong we all know there is something different about a European night at Anfield.

I think we'll beat Madrid for that reason.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #65: Oct 03, 2014 07:03:45 pm
      We lost at the same stage to Olympiakos ten years ago with a similiar perfornance. We needed 3 goals in the return to go through 3-2 on aggregate. What happened?

It's the European Cup, we're third seeds, and we're in a difficult group with twists and turns all over the shop. That's what it's supposed to be. I don't know whether we'll make it or not. There's only been 2 games played with 4 to go. As then, we have a double header against a top Spanish team to come and we also have the last game at home to get a result if we need it. One thing I do know is that the group is far from over so there's no reason for mass panic at this stage.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #66: Oct 03, 2014 07:04:16 pm
      It's a yes for me, plain and simple.

We WILL beat Basel at home. We WILL beat Ludogorets on the road. We WILL get something vs Madrid. We're through.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #67: Oct 03, 2014 07:20:37 pm
      Never say die attitude for me. We WILL get out of this group, by hook or by crook

PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #68: Oct 03, 2014 07:34:51 pm
      Think we SHOULD qualify if we beat Basel(h) + Ludogorets(a) but that would count on a few results going our way, if not we may need to nick a point or a couple v Real Madrid

Quick Reply