Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match vs Basel (once again if possible)

Simon Mignolet
      4 (6.8%)
      Javi Manquillo
      5 (8.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      5 (8.5%)
      Jose Enrique
      4 (6.8%)
      Steven Gerrard (c)
      4 (6.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (5.1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      8 (13.6%)
      Lazar Markovic
      2 (3.4%)
      Raheem Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Mario Balotelli
      7 (11.9%)
      Adam Lallana (sub)
      16 (27.1%)
      Rickie Lambert (sub)
      1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: Oct 04, 2014 09:48:13 pm

Basel 1 - 0 Liverpool: In Game & Post Game Wonderings (again).

Read 28412 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Basel 1 - 0 Liverpool: In Game & Post Game Wonderings (again).
      Reply #483: Oct 01, 2014 10:51:17 pm
      we know as good as Daniel is he will get injured again . How many BIG players do we have baring in mind this is a club with a pedigree that had 5 CL trophies.
      We went and spent a fortune on Saints best players and they're now sitting 2nd place while we languish 14th that says it all about us and i know it's early days but if we don't beat WBA then the chances of a win over Real at Anfield will be looking fairly bleak because we need to start getting the confidence going .

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #484: Oct 01, 2014 10:52:21 pm
      We went and spent a fortune on Saints best players and they're now sitting 2nd place while we languish 14th that says it all about us and i know it's early days but if we don't beat WBA then the chances of a win over Real at Anfield will be looking fairly bleak because we need to start getting the confidence going .

What are you suggesting!

Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #485: Oct 01, 2014 10:53:19 pm
      The thing that worries me a little is that we would have bought all these players in the summer with some sort of thought about how they would play together in a team but there is little evidence of that so far.

You and me both mate. I think it was Brendan himself that came out and said he was buying players to fit his profile and he was being lauded for it. Hence people not laying into him too much for spending so much money on Lallana because he was a player that was identified as being necessary for Brendans 'style of play'.

It just seems that there's no coherence or balance of play - thus far!
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #486: Oct 01, 2014 10:56:55 pm

Absolutely, a win in our next match is a total must, not just for the points, but it's vital for our confidence. I cannot even think what a loss would do to our fragile confidence. Brendan really needs to earn his crust in the coming weeks.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #487: Oct 01, 2014 10:57:04 pm

Saints are better than us even when we bought their best players. :f_tongueincheek: ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #488: Oct 01, 2014 11:01:28 pm
      Saints are better than us even when we bought their best players. :f_tongueincheek: ;D

;D

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #489: Oct 01, 2014 11:06:07 pm
      Rodgers' post-match interview.

Rodgers: We didn't get going quickly
      Brendan Rodgers bemoaned his side's lack of fluidity at the outset of the match and the concession of a 'soft goal' after Liverpool were beaten 1-0 by FC Basel in the Champions League on Wednesday night.

Switzerland and St. Jakob-Park was the setting for the Reds' second European fixture of the campaign - and the aim was a win to follow up the victory over Ludogorets Razgrad on the opening matchday.

That was not the case, however, as a strike by Marco Streller on 52 minutes proved the decisive contribution of an encounter that lacked rhythm and precision from either team.

Steven Gerrard spoke honestly about his disappointment with the level of performance from the travellers immediately after the final whistle, and the captain's sentiments were quickly echoed by the manager.

"I have replicated that in the changing room," Rodgers reflected at his post-match press conference. "The goal we conceded was far too soft - and it's not the first one.

"It was a very disappointing goal to concede after all the work, all the talking and all the training ground work that we do on them.

"We never got going in the first 25 minutes; we gave it away too easily and didn't have the passing combinations. Then we grew into the game and were probably the better side. We started to distribute the ball better and create some chances.

"We started the second half well and went close on a couple of occasions. Then we conceded a soft goal and it's difficult away from home.

"This is a club that has had a great record against English teams. But tonight was an opportunity for us to at the very least get a point from the game."

In the continued absence of Daniel Sturridge, summer signing Mario Balotelli again spearheaded the attack, with his closest effort at registering on the scoresheet a powerful free-kick blast from fully 35 yards.

"I think he worked hard. It's obviously his job to create and score goals, and he's working," began the boss, asked for an assessment of the Italian's display.

"He went close with a free-kick where he had a great shot. He knows his job is to create and score goals, and he's working hard to get into the areas. That's what we're asking of him."

Next up in the Champions League for the Reds is the giant prospect of back-to-back meetings with holders Real Madrid, initially at Anfield before a journey to the Santiago Bernabeu in Spain.

Rodgers insisted that Liverpool's target of progression to the tournament's knockout stages will not be altered by the result in Basel and explained why mentality will be lifted for the huge double-header.

He concluded: "It was always going to be a group that would probably go right to the end - certainly for the second position.

"We're under no illusion that the next couple of games are tough games. But our objective is still to qualify, get through and into the knockout stages. That's still the focus for us.

"It was a disappointing result for us tonight, but our next game will be a great occasion for us at Anfield. We're really looking forward to that now because in this competition in particular your home games are very important.

"No matter who it is, we will go into the game with a positive mindset. Hopefully at the end of the group stage, we'll qualify - because that's our aim."

I don't know what match he was watching because I don't remember us growing in to the game let alone being the better side at any point during it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #490: Oct 01, 2014 11:07:37 pm

It was the same when we brought Brendan and Swansea went on to win the holy majestic Carling Cup and people went nuts about the irony of all and ZzzZzZzZzzZ

Saints aren't going to finish anywhere near 2nd place and we will get better.

(I know you weren't saying otherwise but I've seen some people joking about that in other places as well)
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #491: Oct 01, 2014 11:22:47 pm
      Really feeling flat after today's game. The first few games I managed to laugh off as I always believed we would improve as the season went on. It was early days and poor results can be forgotten about if the team were to get back on track in a timely manner. That doesn't seem the case with us. It has come to that point where we are crying out for the return of Daniel Sturridge. My worst fear is that we do not improve even when he returns.

I don't know how we will learn from this result. The collective belief within the squad has gone. That happened to Manchester United last season. They are still struggling this season because of it.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #492: Oct 01, 2014 11:36:47 pm
      The team has turned its back on the principles of last season of fast accurate decisive football. Its as Rogers said, we are broken and need fixing. The team needs pace, pace and more pace. Until Sturridge is fit my nod would go to Borini up front, just to stretch opposition defences a little more. Ballotelli/Lambert could work with Sturridge making runs off of either of them but for now they are not asking enough questions of opposition defences and not providing runs for the midfield to find them.

I just hope this fits together when Sturridge returns or I can't see where a win is coming from.

Sterling by the way is being overused, God knows what he was doing in the Carling Cup side last week. He's in a run of poor form and looking like an injury waiting to happen. Time to give the lad a weekend off.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #493: Oct 01, 2014 11:38:38 pm
      Really feeling flat after today's game. The first few games I managed to laugh off as I always believed we would improve as the season went on. It was early days and poor results can be forgotten about if the team were to get back on track in a timely manner. That doesn't seem the case with us. It has come to that point where we are crying out for the return of Daniel Sturridge. My worst fear is that we do not improve even when he returns.

I don't know how we will learn from this result. The collective belief within the squad has gone. That happened to Manchester United last season. They are still struggling this season because of it.

The malaise within the team is worse than simply having Danny back. We seem to be devoid of any confidence in anything we do - passing, retaining possession, pressing at the right time etc.

And at the look of the gaffer in the post match interview so is he!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #494: Oct 01, 2014 11:41:44 pm

I only saw the second half and even that was on a terrible stream, so I won't comment on individual performances, but from what I could see we seemed to lack a striker (again) willing to go in the box.

I am holding my breath at the moment waiting for the return of Sturridge. While I don't believe he is the answer to all our problems I think he may help get the best out of Balotelli and more importantly score the goals we have been missing.

Defensively I think our problems are greater with no solution in sight at the moment.... maybe Valdes, but I think that might be just clutching at straws?
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #495: Oct 02, 2014 12:11:55 am
      The worst thing about watching this match was Souness, Neville and Carragher.. annoying to F**k in any order, all of them.
      Fuuuuucking beauts.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #496: Oct 02, 2014 12:13:31 am
      I feel like since the start of the season, we turn up only to give the opposition some passing practice. I watch as our attack and possession fizzles out due to lazy passing and sh*te dud crosses and then they look at each other and shrug as if that's gonna get us the ball back.

The attitude is piss poor in this team and needs improving.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #497: Oct 02, 2014 12:16:43 am
      Btw didn't think we played badly at all. Don't fret too much just right now, it was a decent attempt by us.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #498: Oct 02, 2014 12:21:48 am
      Btw didn't think we played badly at all. Don't fret too much just right now, it was a decent attempt by us.

Oh go to bed your obviously pissed.

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #499: Oct 02, 2014 12:27:49 am
      Oh go to bed your obviously pissed.

Yeah goodnight, we played well away, end of.
      Gerrard moaning after the fact, doesn't make it more real, he had his chance on the pitch.
      We tried and it didn't work, I was impressed overall.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #500: Oct 02, 2014 12:34:03 am
      We only seem to have gotten started after conceding the goal. The first half was a non event I think the posession stats showed up around the 40th minute mark were 63-37% Basel. Never got our foot on the ball nor looked like we were able to keep posession for a prolonged period, Rodger's football philosophy was based on posession football the phrase "death by football" was coined by him last year we digressed from that to adopt a direct fast paced attacking approach underlined by counter attacking football. This year we seem to not be playing either style the players brought in the transfer market certainly would not complement the fast paced approach of last year (Markovic being the only one with pace about him) so it's difficult to visualise at the moment what the style and philosophy is and that has resulted in "sh*t on a stick" football.

Will be very tough getting out of this group now we play Madrid back to back and still need to travel to Bulgaria, this needs sorting out sooner rather then later.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #501: Oct 02, 2014 03:28:06 am
      It was as soulless a performance as I have seen in many years. Everyone should hang their head in shame tonight, that includes the players, Brendan, the support staff, the f**king scouts and the owners.

Why only 2 substitutions were used when the whole team was looking insipid. Brendan looked well short of any ideas tonight. We looked like an amateur team with an amateur coach tonight.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #502: Oct 02, 2014 04:14:54 am
      BR must start looking for the biggest hammer and use it on those under performers, right from this very moment. No time for sentiments or a fatherly figure, he must start to demand for results. I don;t know about BR but I'll do just that. How much more time do we need to gel and get things going, unless  we prefer not to know, we are 4 places above the drop zone. Pin this fooking league table at every corner and make sure the players sees it and make sure they look at it every day.

At this moment, I'm more worry of us sliding into the drop zone than not winning the CL.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #503: Oct 02, 2014 06:54:55 am
      Mignolet - Actually one of our better performers. Apart from a dodgy pass to Gerrard he did his job well. Can't fault him for the goal, that was shocking defending. 7

Manquillo - Looked promising in his first few performances for us but the more I see of him this lad needs to make some big improvements. His touch at times is awful for a pro footballer, he got caught out of possession once or twice defensively and loses his head in the final third. 5

Skertel - Although him and Lovren decided to hand Basel a goal scoring opportunity on a plate, Skertel looked a bit lost at times in the first half especially. Their manager made a smart positive move and the midfield and defense were all over the shop, Skertel was lost during this period, position-ally him and Lovren were on different teams during periods of the first half. Communication is still a big problem back there. 5

Lovren - . See Skertel. Not as dominant a player as I'd have hoped. Like Manquillo needs to up his game. 5

Enrique - . Best player on the pitch tonight considering the lay off as well. Just as the side looked prone to attacks after Basel's sub in the first half, Enrique got a bit lost. He had the job of picking up that Gonzalez fella who was pretty quick and direct. For me, he got to grips with this, his upper body strength is amazing and rarely has to go to ground to win a ball. Not the best in attack but for me a good solid defender which on the form of this defense is what is needed. 7

Henderson - Huffed and puffed and was his usual self. Didn't do anything wrong but needed to do more right to make a mark. In saying that I felt a bit sorry for the lad as he was the only natural CM in the side with legs, when an, Allen and Can type players were needed to take up the slack. 6

Gerrard -  Overall the captain and his sidekick (Henderson) failed miserably to dominate midfield. Perhaps it was because there was a lack of numbers, legs and tenacity in the side. Gerrard sits a lot deeper now, looks a little slower and needs two CM around him, otherwise he becomes a passenger at best. He can't pick out the passes anymore either because our attack has gone from 'Hero to zero' in a blink of an eye. 5

Markovic - Improved from Everton the performance but performance wise still not good enough. 5

Sterling - Looked one of our better players tonight. Shame his touch and control let him down in good positions tonight. 7

Coutinho - Like Sterling looked lively second best of the 'AM' trio. 6

Balotelli - Not good enough. Can't really complain about his work rate but his movement is atrocious, couldn't get his @rse onside for most of the night. 4

sh*t result with an even worse performance.

Lallana - 6 I like the look of him. Hope he makes his way into the side on a more permanent basis. Should have started the first 60 min (if fitness was a concern) instead of Markovic and played alongside Henderson. Good player, bad decision IMO from Rodgers there who I think dropped a bollock with this decision. Hindsight, wonderful stuff.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #504: Oct 02, 2014 06:56:03 am
      What annoyed me quite a fair few times during the match was players like Raheem, Balo and Coutinho having the ball at their feet, passes could have been made to the left or right but they F***ing held onto the ball and ended up giving it away in our final third. Pass the F***ing ball you greedy cu*ts.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #505: Oct 02, 2014 08:12:45 am
      Usually after a night to sleep on it, you wake with a bit more of a rational head and take the good points from a game before you move on.

Not this time. Im not sure what I find more distressing;

Rodgers continually getting his tactics wrong. His complete change of tactics last season. His persistence with 1 up top. His playing a full starting 11 when the league should be our priority.

The defences continual mistakes. Playing the man as opposed to the ball.

The lack of pace in our game - Markovic, Sterling, Manquillo, Coutinho and Balotelli are all meant to be bullets. Not one of them looked like it last night, and certainly didnt play that fast game together.

The lack of Pressing done by the players. Seriously like. Hunt in numbers high up the pitch? Where has that gone? Forget about new players bedding in - this was a philosophy last season and we have completely lost it.

The lack of control, passing and moving. Unreal. We played so well with the 3 man triangle last season, everyone moving into a position that ALWAYS provided a pass for the player on the ball and more likely than not a 1 touch pass. Recycling the ball when the pass was not on. Where? We are now hoofing the ball uptop and losing it continually. Is this because Balo is meant to be a great hold up player? GOD AWFUL tactic.

The lack of Goals. We are apparently creating the 2nd most chances and our conversion rate is horrendous. Yes we have Sturridge injured but we knew that would happen. Borini was meant to be sold so he is non existent. Lambert is awful whether that is due to his mindset or lack of talent I cant tell yet. Looks like a Mid table team player at best. Balo is awful. He does nothing well and we do nothing well with him as a target man. Yes he may take time to come up to speed but he is and has always been a 1 in 3/4 goals per game player. Shocking for what we need to get top 4. Where are the Sterling, Hendo, Lallana, Gerrard and our CBs contributions? All our hopes are riding on Studge.

We are at a cross roads here - 1 more game like that and we will have so much work to do to get top 4. Top 4 this year is more important than last year. Its treble the prize money for CL. We will not get back in if we don't get there this year. That is exactly why UTD have shelled out 200Trillion on players they wouldnt have got. It pains me to say it but we are fu**ed if they get CL ahead of us.

What do we do? Go back to everything we did last season. Seriously like. Forget hoof ball. Play we disregard and pace. Hunt in packs. Pass and move. Counter. Want to win every ball and every game. Tempo Tempo Tempo. And if you cant do that then F**k OFF.

FURIOUS at every part of that team down to the groundsmen for F***ing up what was so hard to rebuild.

Ye I know some of the above is an over reaction but F**k IT. I'm fuming!

Quick Reply