Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will LFC qualify from Group B? (Poll after Basel (A) defeat)

Yes
      40 (62.5%)
      No
      24 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: Oct 09, 2014 12:21:11 pm

Will we qualify out of the group? (Vote after Basel away game)

Read 6580 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Will we qualify out of the group? (Vote after Basel away game)
      Oct 02, 2014 12:20:24 pm
      Madrid 6pts
      Basel 3pts
      LFC 3pts
      Ludogorets 0pts

IMO we needed to hold Basel to a draw last night.  On current form you would have to really doubt us getting anything off Madrid - home or away.

What's the best case scenario for the Basel-Ludogorets games? If Basel win both then can you see us getting out the group? I think if Basel win both it's curtains.

Interested in your votes and opinion.
      « Last Edit: Oct 02, 2014 01:58:57 pm by JD »
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Re: Will we qualify out of the group?
      Reply #1: Oct 02, 2014 12:23:56 pm
      Christ.

Doesn't this season reek of 09/10?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2: Oct 02, 2014 12:24:33 pm
      I'd fancy us to beat Basel at Home, and I fancy Madrid to beat us and them in each match. That would mean it'd be decided on the Ludogrets games, and if they play like they did against us and apparently like they did last night, our Home win might turn out to be a far better result than any of us realised at the time. I don't think Basel will beat them Home and Away, put it that way.

It's not a two way dog fight for the second spot, it's a three way one and it'll be very close IMHO.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #3: Oct 02, 2014 12:26:17 pm
      I thought we would.

I don't think we will.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Oct 02, 2014 12:28:14 pm
      I thought would would easily qualify.
      Then the team without Sturridge and Suarez played.
      Now, it's entirely dependant on Sturridge getting and staying fit.

Without him, we're out.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #5: Oct 02, 2014 12:29:21 pm
      Unfortunately not. Last night was probably our most important fixture in the group. A draw would have put us in a very decent position, but now we need to beat Ludogorets away and Basel at home, hoping Madrid beat Basel away from home.

We've got 20 days to sort this mess out. I'd take a draw against Madrid at Anfield if it were offered right now.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6: Oct 02, 2014 12:31:54 pm
      If Madrid play anything like their best we will get stuffed . I think Basel and Ludo will take points off each other so it will be down to us to beat Basel and Ludo. its 50/50 I wouldn't like to say.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7: Oct 02, 2014 12:32:48 pm
      I said after we beat Ludogorets that I think they can beat Basel. I stick by that assessment, not sure if they'd win both games but I certainly expect them to take points off them somewhere. Problem is that they're now on 0 points after playing their 2 games, if they don't manage to win the next they're effectively stuffed so we might have one roll of the dice there.

Agree with J.D. we really needed the point last night, in the past I would have said that we'll play better against Madrid because it's just what we do but the way we're playing against Villa/Basel etc we can't expect a single point out of those games so we really are in the hands of Ludogorets for now.

By the time Basel come to us I hope to f**k we're playing a better brand of footy and we've sorted some of our problems out because they're not a good side, we were just worse. So there's hope, will it actually be a good thing if we get out of the group is another question.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,374 posts | 2821 
      Reply #8: Oct 02, 2014 12:34:32 pm
      If we get something at home to Madrid we'll get through, very tough ask though.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,988 posts | 238 
      Reply #9: Oct 02, 2014 12:38:58 pm
      We will win against Madrid at Anfield. That will be our season defining game and things will look rosy again. Basel is not going to get 6 pts from their ludo games. Our game at ludo will be tough and we may need to work our socks off to get something.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #10: Oct 02, 2014 12:43:07 pm
      If we get something at home to Madrid we'll get through, very tough ask though.

That's a no then. ;D

I'm very down about us at the minute.

Purely because we are sh*te. No way to dress it up otherwise.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #11: Oct 02, 2014 01:03:02 pm
      Fancy us at home against anybody, even more so in Europe.

We have the magic of Anfield, the magic of the kop. You can't explain it but it really is special isn't it? Players like Sinama-Pongolle turn into Zidane.

We'll beat Madrid.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #12: Oct 02, 2014 01:03:36 pm
      Really cant tolerate the agony of finishing 3rd in the group and going down to that damn Europa league
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Oct 02, 2014 01:04:55 pm
      Madrid 6pts
      Basel 3pts
      LFC 3pts
      Ludogorets 0pts

IMO we needed to hold Basel to a draw last night.  On current form you would have to really doubt us getting anything off Madrid - home or away.

What's the best case scenario for the Basel-Ludogorets games? If Basel win both then can you see us getting out the group? I think if Basel win both it's curtains.

Interested in your votes and opinion.

Interestingly enough I think were now in a place were the "underdog role" will suit us. I think well possibily do Madrid over at home. I jsut cant see us holding them away for anything with our defence. However i think Ludogarets might throw a spanner into Basels work and I think well do Basel at home

Liverpool to qualify
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #14: Oct 02, 2014 01:08:22 pm
      Interestingly enough I think were now in a place were the "underdog role" will suit us. I think well possibily do Madrid over at home. I jsut cant see us holding them away for anything with our defence. However i think Ludogarets might throw a spanner into Basels work and I think well do Basel at home

Liverpool to qualify

curious to know what it is so far this season that makes you think we will beat Madrid at home. personally I am shitting myself because if things go wrong it could be seriously painful for us.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #15: Oct 02, 2014 01:09:46 pm
      Really cant tolerate the agony of finishing 3rd in the group and going down to that damn Europa league

Whoever wins the Europa this year goes into the CL
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #16: Oct 02, 2014 01:11:24 pm
      curious to know what it is so far this season that makes you think we will beat Madrid at home. personally I am shitting myself because if things go wrong it could be seriously painful for us.

Anfield on a European night.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      Reply #17: Oct 02, 2014 01:11:50 pm

Nothing more then we have to come out of our slump at some point and I think playing the European champions at home in a big tie which we will be underdogs might just be the tonic.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18: Oct 02, 2014 01:16:51 pm

did you not see the Ludo game which we escaped with a last minute penalty.?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #19: Oct 02, 2014 01:18:07 pm
      Madrid 6pts
      Basel 3pts
      LFC 3pts
      Ludogorets 0pts

Still to play against:

Madrid (H)
      Madrid (A)
      Basel (H)
      Ludogorets (A)

Working on the principle that Madrid take maximum points from the group, we need to win Basel at home and Ludogorets away and hope at the very least Ludogorets beat Basel in one game and draw in the other. That would make the table:

Madrid 18pts
      LFC 9pts
      Basel 4pts
      Ludogorets 4pts

Mathematically it's not beyond us to qualify but we're now relying on other results going our way.
      « Last Edit: Oct 02, 2014 01:55:42 pm by 5timesacharm »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #20: Oct 02, 2014 01:21:03 pm

Still won, so why are you crying?

Real & now Basel are two massive games and the Kop will roar us on.

If we beat Basel & Real at home (which we are capable of doing) and get 3 points at Ludo then Im pretty sure we will go through.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #21: Oct 02, 2014 01:21:36 pm
      I am not going to vote "no" but we need a miracle at home to Madrid if we are going to get ourselves out of this post Luis slumber.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #22: Oct 02, 2014 01:25:47 pm
      Still won, so why are you crying?

Real & now Basel are two massive games and the Kop will roar us on.

If we beat Basel & Real at home (which we are capable of doing) and get 3 points at Ludo then Im pretty sure we will go through.

Kop will roar us on? Like they have done all season?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #23: Oct 02, 2014 01:27:27 pm

I'm in the same boat mate. Madrid will F***ing destroy us judged on all the evidence so far.

We were underdogs against City, City weren't playing well and we got beaten easily. Think Bri is using some of that subjective bias we're all guilty of from time to time and is convincing himself things aren't as bad as they are. I hope he's spot on, the way I see it if we do carry on this form and then put a performance in against Madrid I'll be F***ing fuming.

Would show that the ability/determination is there when they want it but simply aren't when we need it.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #24: Oct 02, 2014 01:27:39 pm
      I wouldn't be that surprised to see RM drop some points. They are a little too brillant actually, and usually have a bad patch when their results make them overconfident.

The unfortunate thing is Basel or Ludo are as likely as us to be the ones managing to get them.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #25: Oct 02, 2014 01:30:07 pm
      I'm in the same boat mate. Madrid will f**king destroy us judged on all the evidence so far.

We were underdogs against City, City weren't playing well and we got beaten easily. Think Bri is using some of that subjective bias we're all guilty of from time to time and is convincing himself things aren't as bad as they are. I hope he's spot on, the way I see it if we do carry on this form and then put a performance in against Madrid I'll be f**king fuming.

Would show that the ability/determination is there when they want it but simply aren't when we need it.

My concern is if we do not do something this weekend with the Internationals coming up we will go into the Madrid game with ZERO confidence and that bothers me.But football can produce miracles can't it.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #26: Oct 02, 2014 01:30:20 pm
      My concern is that RM might storm their games.
      And then be in a position to throw their final games.
      I haven't bothered to work out HOW they could do that.

But we could be in for a real lottery.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #27: Oct 02, 2014 01:38:47 pm
      My concern is if we do not do something this weekend with the Internationals coming up we will go into the Madrid game with ZERO confidence and that bothers me.But football can produce miracles can't it.

Aye it can mate, but I never thought a West Brom game at home would hold such significance.

Every game is important but that one now feels like an enormous game for us right now.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #28: Oct 02, 2014 01:39:47 pm
      Nothing more then we have to come out of our slump at some point and I think playing the European champions at home in a big tie which we will be underdogs might just be the tonic.

I thought the same thing before the Merseyside derby.

If Basel win both games against Ludogorets we will probably have needed to beat Madrid in at least one of the games - a point wouldn't really make much difference.

My concern is that RM might storm their games.
      And then be in a position to throw their final games.

My reading of the situation too.

Possible they could have practically qualified after their 3rd game.
      « Last Edit: Oct 02, 2014 01:51:01 pm by JD »
      red79
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #29: Oct 02, 2014 01:49:40 pm
      I think it will be very very tough. If we can get 1 point from the Madrid games its still in our hands, get nothing and its out of hands
      after 4 games the table could read:

R Madrid 12
      Basel 9
      Liverpool 3
      Ludo 0

It would still be possible to qualify, but we can't be relying on Madrid who would have already qualified winning away at Basel in the final game.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #30: Oct 02, 2014 01:51:14 pm
      I'm in the same boat mate. Madrid will f**king destroy us judged on all the evidence so far.

We were underdogs against City, City weren't playing well and we got beaten easily. Think Bri is using some of that subjective bias we're all guilty of from time to time and is convincing himself things aren't as bad as they are. I hope he's spot on, the way I see it if we do carry on this form and then put a performance in against Madrid I'll be f**king fuming.

Worst part is,that for most of our past, Madrid were never anything to be scared of. They had a dominat era in the 50s, and again more recently. But it was never "oh we will lose all our stars to Spain", until Owen and McManaman etc started being linked with them. England has a popular league, high ticket prices, large corporate and commercial revenues and more. If we invested like Madrid, we could EASILY instill fear like the current Madrid.

We'd regularly slaughter Madrid AND Barca in our past, and not even think anything of it.

Having said all that, we are currently sh*te vs Madrid.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #31: Oct 02, 2014 01:52:29 pm
      fu**ed if I know.

:confused-smiley-013:

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #32: Oct 02, 2014 01:55:02 pm
      R Madrid 12
      Basel 9
      Liverpool 3
      Ludo 0

It would still be possible to qualify, but we can't be relying on Madrid who would have already qualified winning away at Basel in the final game.

And if it goes like that AND if Madrid could be arsed to go and beat Basel when they've already qualified we would probably have to kick a good bagful of goals past Basel - if they've beaten Ludo twice they'll likely have done better than +2 GD and we'll be at least -2.

What a ballache!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #33: Oct 02, 2014 01:55:53 pm
      Worst part is,that for most of our past, Madrid were never anything to be scared of. They had a dominat era in the 50s, and again more recently. But it was never "oh we will lose all our stars to Spain", until Owen and McManaman etc started being linked with them. England has a popular league, high ticket prices, large corporate and commercial revenues and more. If we invested like Madrid, we could EASILY instill fear like the current Madrid.

We'd regularly slaughter Madrid AND Barca in our past, and not even think anything of it.

Having said all that, we are currently sh*te vs Madrid.

Agree.

It absolutely boils my piss that we sell our best players to anyone.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #34: Oct 02, 2014 01:56:44 pm
      If we invested like Madrid, we could EASILY instill fear like the current Madrid.

We could never compete with them on finances.  Don't Madrid and Barca get about 60% of the TV money in Spain with the other 40% divided between the other 18 teams?

Correction - just under 50%

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Re: Will we qualify out of the group? (Vote after Basel away game)
      Reply #35: Oct 02, 2014 02:01:05 pm
      I voted yes but do I want them to go thru? Not sure. I want Liverpool to be in at least top 4 this season so that we can get better players for next season.

Perhaps, we would be better off with one game a week just to get into top 4.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #36: Oct 02, 2014 02:03:05 pm
      I voted yes but do I want them to go thru? Not sure. I want Liverpool to be in at least top 4 this season so that we can get better players for next season.

There won't be four places soon if Liverpool and City don't pull their fingers out and qualify for the next round. The number of places your country has is determined by your country's success in the competition.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6382 
      Reply #37: Oct 02, 2014 02:13:42 pm
      We'll go through, not even worried about it to be honest.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6382 
      Reply #38: Oct 02, 2014 02:14:33 pm
      I voted yes but do I want them to go thru? Not sure.

I thought smoking crack was against the law?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #39: Oct 02, 2014 02:21:53 pm

Seriously?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #40: Oct 02, 2014 02:39:26 pm

Umm.

I thought smoking crack was against the law?

Was about to ask you the same! ;)

Europa League! :(
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #41: Oct 02, 2014 02:39:44 pm
      We could never compete with them on finances.  Don't Madrid and Barca get about 60% of the TV money in Spain with the other 40% divided between the other 18 teams?

Correction - just under 50%

That is the reason why they are so far ahead of other clubs in Spain. But as I mention, we have things in our favour too. Commercial, better league, the history, the passionate stadia, the "home of football", higher gate and hospitality income. Even the being the English language clubs is a big issue. All of these translate to current revenue streams or streams that are currently underutilised (Jeez I'm sounding like a Henry parrot here but anyway..)

Spain has lower ticket and hospitality income per person, an incredibly weak local economy and a patchy domestic league.

My pt is that we'd slaughter Real 5-0 and noone would say "ah thats Real Madrid global aristocrats, 5 European Cups in a row". People would say "yeah thats Liverpool, 4 European Cups in x years".

The big difference between the current Madrid and earlier ones is that they made bold steps to invest in their identity as a 21st century global club. Profits are all retained, the stadium is treated like a cathedral rather than the piecemeal mess Anfield has been. But most of all, they paid the best wages and the biggest transfer fees. Yes that meant debt at some pts, but it paid off, because they are now held up again as the "ultimate football clubs".
      And that means better income, and more players want to play for them.

If we did that, we could do atleast the same, and perhaps more.
      In years gone by, Madrid were often nowhere near us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8566 
      Reply #42: Oct 02, 2014 03:01:47 pm

Exactly Bulgarian no marks! Sh*te atmosphere

Bring on the biggest and the best, pure backs to the wall job. Crackling atmosphere
      « Last Edit: Oct 02, 2014 04:14:10 pm by JD »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #43: Oct 02, 2014 03:03:10 pm
      Kop will roar us on? Like they have done all season?

Presumably you haven't been to a Liverpool v Real Madrid game then.

I have  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6382 
      Reply #44: Oct 02, 2014 03:28:59 pm

I'm not too concerned, just like our great run that came to end last season, this bad run will come to an end as well and we'll turn things around. We should only get better. But you'll find I'm not a doom and despair, fear monger type. ;)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #45: Oct 02, 2014 03:46:10 pm
      Exactly Bulgarian no marks! Sh*te atmosphere

Bring on the biggest and the best, pure backs to the wall job. Crackling atmosphere

I know Anfield will be rocking and I know they will sing their hearts out for the 90mins. what we want to see is a bit of blood and guts from them ,show us they care and we can do anything. Pity we can't bring in Sami for the night he and Jamie were the best two CB's when the sh*t hit the fan they just came alive.Thats the spirit we need.
      « Last Edit: Oct 02, 2014 04:14:22 pm by JD »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #46: Oct 02, 2014 09:00:45 pm
      If Basel win home and away against Ludogrets then I think we will be in trouble. In all honesty, we are likely to get a spanking by Madrid home and away if we continue this form so I wouldn't be surprised if we are soon venturing into Thursday nights for European football.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #47: Oct 02, 2014 09:13:39 pm

I haven't, you are correct. However, many people have noted how atrocious our atmosphere has been of late. What is this down to? The way tickets are allocated or are the fans still wounded from last season's ending?

There is no indication that our fans will turn up loud and proud, unless most of them are usually travelling fans and not on some Shitty business trip.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #48: Oct 02, 2014 09:28:10 pm
      Quite frankly, the other teams seem to want it more. We'll be lucky to make the UEFA/Europa Cup at this rate :f_tongueincheek:
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #49: Oct 02, 2014 09:30:17 pm

It's a fu*king disgrace if the fans and players can only seem to rouse themselves for the 'big' occassions.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #50: Oct 02, 2014 09:42:27 pm
      I haven't, you are correct. However, many people have noted how atrocious our atmosphere has been of late. What is this down to? The way tickets are allocated or are the fans still wounded from last season's ending?

There is no indication that our fans will turn up loud and proud, unless most of them are usually travelling fans and not on some Shitty business trip.

In fairness it would help if we had something to cheer about. The fact that we can't buy a win right now and our performances are utter turd lead to more groaning than singing.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      Reply #51: Oct 02, 2014 09:49:29 pm
      In fairness it would help if we had something to cheer about. The fact that we can't buy a win right now and our performances are utter turd lead to more groaning than singing.

That's when a team needs its "fans" the most. Anyone can turn up and be in jolly good form when there team is whacking everyone 3 and 4 nil and playing super football. Its when the football is less flowing and the results and goals aren't coming that's when the crowd are needed 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6382 
      Reply #52: Oct 02, 2014 10:55:20 pm
      It's kind of sad how many of our "supporters" have resigned themselves to believing that we are done and dusted already.

Like thinking Real Madrid can't be beat, that's defeatist and foolish thinking in my opinion.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #53: Oct 02, 2014 11:04:58 pm
      It's not over in this group yet.
      Expect Madrid to top the table.
      But Ludogrets could take easily points of Basel, the Swiss were no world beaters.
      We beat Basel at home, take something from Ludogrets away, and get something out of the Madrid matches, we won't be far off.
      Glass still half full :)
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #54: Oct 03, 2014 12:47:07 am
      There won't be four places soon if Liverpool and City don't pull their fingers out and qualify for the next round. The number of places your country has is determined by your country's success in the competition.

Wasn't there a new ruling that came out in force last year to say that we could potentially get 5 spots for Champions League football should an EPL team win the UEFA cup?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #55: Oct 03, 2014 02:50:35 am
      I think we need to get at least a point from Madrid in the next game and hope Ludogretz do the same against or better against Basel.

Madrid have not been crash hot themselves they laboured to victory last night and have allready lost twice in the Liga.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #56: Oct 03, 2014 07:25:13 am
      If we can do a RAFA on Real Madrid then have no fear we can beat them. And Rafa beat Parry as well in Madrid if I remember correctly.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #57: Oct 03, 2014 07:29:13 am
      but do I want them to go thru? Not sure

Do you sit in the Main Stand? Unbelievable!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #58: Oct 03, 2014 07:40:37 am
      Wow 34% believe will not go through is that a reflection of our poor form at the moment or a mixture of johnny come lately fans/poor form.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #59: Oct 03, 2014 08:20:24 am
      Wasn't there a new ruling that came out in force last year to say that we could potentially get 5 spots for Champions League football should an EPL team win the UEFA cup?

Yeah mate but it all depends on whether or not the Champions League winner would have qualified for next year's Champions League through their league position anyway. So if Real Madrid retained the Champions League but they finished fifth in La Liga then they'd compete in the Champions League next year anyway whilst the Europa League winner would probably have to go through the qualification stages.

But if Real Madrid retained the Champions League and finished 1st/2nd/3rd/4th in La Liga and the Europa League winner was an English club then they'd qualify for the Champions League group stages and we would potentially have 5 English clubs in the Champions League (if the 4th place team goes through the final qualification round).

So even if the worst happened this season and we dropped out of the Champions League and into the Europa League and we won the Europa League (which I wouldn't really mind because it's a trophy and we'd have the highest amount of Europa League/UEFA Cup wins if we won it), but we finished outside of the Top 4 and the winner of the Champions League qualified directly then we'd qualify for the champions league too.

All of that means f*ck all though if the Europa League winner qualifies for the Champions League through their league position because even if the Europa League winner was an English side but they finished in the Top 4 there'd only be 4 English sides in the Champions League next season.

Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,637 posts | 130 
      Reply #60: Oct 03, 2014 08:45:11 am
      wow.... there are 4 games still to come, so 12 points are still on the table. Of course we will go through. We have 3 points after two games, it is not really good but also not really bad.

Madrid is a big game, big games also have something unpredictable in it. So relax people ;)
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1627 
      Reply #61: Oct 03, 2014 10:26:16 am
      I think we will need to see a big improvement to get through , and at the moment its hard to see where we are going to make enough of one , I certainly hope so I think certain players need a look at the shirt and what it means ..
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #62: Oct 03, 2014 11:36:25 am
      wow.... there are 4 games still to come, so 12 points are still on the table. Of course we will go through. We have 3 points after two games, it is not really good but also not really bad.

Madrid is a big game, big games also have something unpredictable in it. So relax people ;)

It's nothing to do with the mathematics of the situation, it's the manner of our performances. Have you seen anything this season from Liverpool to suggest we're even remotely capable of picking up twelve points? If we're to have a chance we need to significantly up our game and Rodgers needs to scrap this hair brained nonsense of picking the team five matches in advance and his rotation policy so early in the season.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,637 posts | 130 
      Reply #63: Oct 03, 2014 12:00:51 pm
      It's nothing to do with the mathematics of the situation, it's the manner of our performances. Have you seen anything this season from Liverpool to suggest we're even remotely capable of picking up twelve points? If we're to have a chance we need to significantly up our game and Rodgers needs to scrap this hair brained nonsense of picking the team five matches in advance and his rotation policy so early in the season.

I agree that we need a big rise of our performances and stop the rotation thing. And no there is not much positiv to take from the start of the season but the point is, we don't have bad players they just lack confidence at the moment and need more play time together. Sometimes  you just need one game that can work as a catalyst to up our performance

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #64: Oct 03, 2014 01:27:17 pm

Has nothing to do with last season. The kop has been dead for years. Its a cross between boring old season ticket holders and tourists. If we went back to pay on the gate then the atmosphere would be electric every week.

It's a fu*king disgrace if the fans and players can only seem to rouse themselves for the 'big' occassions.

I agree but right or wrong we all know there is something different about a European night at Anfield.

I think we'll beat Madrid for that reason.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #65: Oct 03, 2014 07:03:45 pm
      We lost at the same stage to Olympiakos ten years ago with a similiar perfornance. We needed 3 goals in the return to go through 3-2 on aggregate. What happened?

It's the European Cup, we're third seeds, and we're in a difficult group with twists and turns all over the shop. That's what it's supposed to be. I don't know whether we'll make it or not. There's only been 2 games played with 4 to go. As then, we have a double header against a top Spanish team to come and we also have the last game at home to get a result if we need it. One thing I do know is that the group is far from over so there's no reason for mass panic at this stage.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #66: Oct 03, 2014 07:04:16 pm
      It's a yes for me, plain and simple.

We WILL beat Basel at home. We WILL beat Ludogorets on the road. We WILL get something vs Madrid. We're through.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #67: Oct 03, 2014 07:20:37 pm
      Never say die attitude for me. We WILL get out of this group, by hook or by crook

PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #68: Oct 03, 2014 07:34:51 pm
      Think we SHOULD qualify if we beat Basel(h) + Ludogorets(a) but that would count on a few results going our way, if not we may need to nick a point or a couple v Real Madrid

Quick Reply