Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Liverpool vs West Brom: Saturday 15:00 BST

Read 7428 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Liverpool vs West Brom: Saturday 15:00 BST
      Reply #69: Oct 04, 2014 09:11:47 am
      'Guardian' reporting that Lambert is starting and Baloteli is dropped. It would be funny because we had the quickest strike force last season, and probably the slowest if Lambert is starting.

Hope that isn't true for Mario's sake. I really think Mario needs to develop more with us alongside another striker and I think dropping him would be the wrong move for Rodgers. Equally, Lambert hasn't had a fair crack at the whip either but 'dropping' Mario after playing the lone striker isn't going to do him any good. Ricky should get more of a chance (depending on the game of course) and should start to be introduced around the hour mark, say if Borini and Mario haven't done too much to warrant their positions on the field.

But I think Rodgers has different plans/ideas to me.

If Ricky does start then, I hope for his sake he isn't a lone striker.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #70: Oct 04, 2014 09:42:43 am
      'Guardian' reporting that Lambert is starting and Baloteli is dropped. It would be funny because we had the quickest strike force last season, and probably the slowest if Lambert is starting.

What's funnier is how when we signed him (even before Suarez took off), those of us who had our doubts about bringing him here were taken to task by others who said "oh come on, Lambert is not ever going to be starting for us in anything important," etc etc.  And yet.  Here we are.  Suarez is gone; Sturridge is injured; Balotelli isn't doing well; Borini is rubbish; and now we're left possibly starting Lambert in what is pretty much a must-win.

I mean.... just ponder that.  Rickie Lambert could be starting for us in a league match.

Last season we had.... Luis Suarez.  Oh but don't worry---we didn't need to replace Luis anyway.  Instead of getting someone world-class who could step right in and do a job, we decided to, um, chop up Suarez's talent and add it to other players instead.  Yea that's a great idea.  Makes a lot of sense.  Here Henderson, have some Suarez dust; here Coutinho, have some Suarez dust too; Suarez dust all around!  Here's the plan everyone: I want every one of you to just get better.  And if each of you gets a little better then altogether you will equal one (1) Luis Suarez.

no.  There's definitely nothing wrong.  Not at all.  Everything's just fine and dandy. 
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #71: Oct 04, 2014 11:05:13 am
      All for Rickie starting. I think he is more mobile than Mario. Our play thrives on a mobile strike force and not some rock upfront. If Mario isn't on the bench, I bet that he wouldn't even attend the match.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #72: Oct 04, 2014 11:05:44 am
      What's funnier is how when we signed him (even before Suarez took off), those of us who had our doubts about bringing him here were taken to task by others who said "oh come on, Lambert is not ever going to be starting for us in anything important," etc etc.  And yet.  Here we are.  Suarez is gone; Sturridge is injured; Balotelli isn't doing well; Borini is rubbish; and now we're left possibly starting Lambert in what is pretty much a must-win.

I mean.... just ponder that.  Rickie Lambert could be starting for us in a league match.

Last season we had.... Luis Suarez.  Oh but don't worry---we didn't need to replace Luis anyway.  Instead of getting someone world-class who could step right in and do a job, we decided to, um, chop up Suarez's talent and add it to other players instead.  Yea that's a great idea.  Makes a lot of sense.  Here Henderson, have some Suarez dust; here Coutinho, have some Suarez dust too; Suarez dust all around!  Here's the plan everyone: I want every one of you to just get better.  And if each of you gets a little better then altogether you will equal one (1) Luis Suarez.

no.  There's definitely nothing wrong.  Not at all.  Everything's just fine and dandy. 

What's funny too, is that you probably feel happier being able to say that, than if Lambert scored a hat trick today.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #73: Oct 04, 2014 11:14:56 am
      I'll (more than) gladly take a scrappy win today then hopefully get the shitty international break over without any injuries and then we go again. As mad as it sounds I don't want to see a squad with cohesion just for it to get broken up  by the internationals.

International football should be banned.  :P
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #74: Oct 04, 2014 11:29:39 am
      We have a big problem with pace. Last year, with Sturridge, Suarez, Sterling running at teams, there was real fear.

At present we have Sterling who gets man marked, with Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic, Balotelli not creating the panic.

We need to flood the CAM area today and get the ball wide when we have big men up top.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,424 posts | 4581 
      Reply #75: Oct 04, 2014 12:49:34 pm
      Feel positive about today's game, we know the pressure is on & will provide the mentality for such a game.

3 points & a clean sheet today.

3-0
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #76: Oct 04, 2014 01:01:48 pm
      Need the crowd to step it up for once this season as well, instead of being all librarian and jittery.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #77: Oct 04, 2014 01:02:45 pm
      any news on Daniel yet because we need him to get our season started. When you think back to how good we were at Spurs its hard to believe what has happened since. We need to see some real strong performance today no excuses
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #78: Oct 04, 2014 01:18:51 pm
      If Lambert does indeed start today like I presume he will do then I hope he gets himself about. He's shown zero of his Southampton form for us as of yet. He doesn't seem to have the same energy that he had last season but then again who of our players does :-\

2-1 victory to the red men. I must have predicted that score line every game this season :D
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #79: Oct 04, 2014 01:28:19 pm
      All for Rickie starting. I think he is more mobile than Mario. Our play thrives on a mobile strike force and not some rock upfront. If Mario isn't on the bench, I bet that he wouldn't even attend the match.

=46817.msg1680831#msg1680831 date=1412417113]
      [/quote]
      A fully laden skip is more mobile at the moment Lambert does nothing to warrant a place in our starting xv he was bought as a bit part player and nothing he has done suggests otherwise .
      Come on you reds lets go out and fight for that jersey be fckin proud of it not afraid or burdened by it , show us you belong out there .
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,202 posts | 4911 
      Reply #80: Oct 04, 2014 01:35:45 pm
      Is there rumours Jones is in as well for Migs?
      Scottbot

• 9,608 posts | 2159 
      Reply #81: Oct 04, 2014 01:56:34 pm
      I hope Lambert gets the start as well. Saints have played some fantastic and fluid football with Rickie leading the line the last two seasons so there is no reason why we can't do the same. And screw starting Borini up there with him, play a five in midfield and encourage Lallana, Henderson and Sterling to get beyond Lambert when he does drift into other areas.

So important to go into the international break with a win under our belts.

I can't imagine that Sturridge will be risked knowing that there is a break coming, besides I don't believe he has trained at all so he will be a million miles away from fit.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #82: Oct 04, 2014 02:03:11 pm
      Liverpool XI: Mignolet, Manquillo, Moreno, Lovren, Skrtel, Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling, Lambert.

Substitutes: Jones, Toure, Johnson, Lucas, Markovic, Borini, Balotelli.
      Scottbot

• 9,608 posts | 2159 
      Reply #83: Oct 04, 2014 02:05:33 pm
      Liverpool XI: Mignolet, Manquillo, Moreno, Lovren, Skrtel, Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling, Lambert.

Substitutes: Jones, Toure, Johnson, Lucas, Markovic, Borini, Balotelli.

That's the line up I would have gone for so I'm happy with that. Rickie to get the opener!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #84: Oct 04, 2014 02:06:16 pm
      Clear message to Mario there but i do think it's unfair given his service has been proper sh*te. Don't think Lambert is going to fair much better if we are looking for a bit of flair and creativity up front.

Coutinho needs to lift big time.

Glad to see Moreno and Lallana start. Two of our best in recent games.

Come on lads, don't make me suicidal. Get a win.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #85: Oct 04, 2014 02:11:17 pm
      A fully laden skip is more mobile at the moment Lambert does nothing to warrant a place in our starting xv he was bought as a bit part player and nothing he has done suggests otherwise .

And Mario or Borini have? At least with Lambert we're getting passion.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #86: Oct 04, 2014 02:52:29 pm
      I know he hasn't been officially credited it, but Lambert basically scored for us against city. I'll take a few of those today.

Quick Reply