Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your LFC MotM?

22. Mignolet
      (0%)
      19. Manquillo
      (0.9%)
      37. Skrtel
      (0%)
      6. Lovren
      (0%)
      18. Moreno
      (0.9%)
      8. Gerrard
      (2.7%)
      14. Henderson
      (33.3%)
      10. Coutinho
      (0%)
      20. Lallana
      (62.2%)
      31. Sterling
      (0%)
      9. Lambert
      (0%)
      45. Balotelli (sub)
      (0%)
      21. Lucas (sub)
      (0%)
      2. Johnson (sub)
      (0%)

Liverpool 2:1 West Brom. In game and post match discussion.

Read 22292 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Liverpool 2:1 West Brom. In game and post match discussion.
      Reply #368: Oct 04, 2014 06:28:59 pm
      :action-smiley-060:

2000th post. Time to retire. It's been good LFCREDS

F***ing dick tease.

Ironically, you'd be on your 3000th by now if we'd been beaten today.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #369: Oct 04, 2014 06:29:16 pm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #370: Oct 04, 2014 06:34:19 pm
      Thrilled that we won today, because if we had not, then someone would need to be sacked.

clint_call01 you're a lucky man!  :roll:
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #371: Oct 04, 2014 06:42:58 pm
      Cracking result, Lallana was motm IMO and his goal was fantastic.

Feels great to have 3 points in the bag, onwards and upwards!
      LFCexiled
      Reply #372: Oct 04, 2014 06:52:37 pm

Nope, my mistake, I meant Henderson. Having said that Lambert imprssed me more today.
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #373: Oct 04, 2014 06:55:04 pm
      Another poor performance by Sterling. What's going on?
      lilREDrocket
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 11 
      Reply #374: Oct 04, 2014 07:04:58 pm
      A goal and an assist today, Hendo my motm. Lallana was class. Glad we got back to our winning ways today. ynwa
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #375: Oct 04, 2014 07:18:28 pm
      Probably Sterling's worst game of the season, worked like a Trojan but nothing really came off for him today.

Agree he wasn't very good today but even at his worst he is capable of getting an assist. That's how important he is for us
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #376: Oct 04, 2014 07:20:00 pm
      Didn't see or hear anything about the match till now, great to read the posts about the win, things sound more positive and a REALLY badly needed 3 points. That'll do pig...
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,694 posts | 892 
      Reply #377: Oct 04, 2014 07:35:45 pm
      Not a great game by us but we did deserve to win. Don't care, as long as we get the three points which we did today.
      Thought the boss had a good game aswell, picked the right lineup, used all his subs and knew what he was doing.

I'm actually bit worried about cou, he doesn't look happy after Luis went. Could be a reason why his form has dipped a bit.
      I personally feel that cou and raheem are our key to top four, yes I do rate them that high.

If boss could put a player in front of cou who makes run, I think cou will shine again. We destroyed teams last season by quick counters, this season we don't even try to counter.

Anyway great win. Ynwa
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #378: Oct 04, 2014 07:38:18 pm
      Alright that's a good win! Wasn't great and was a bit nervy at times, but we got the job done. Much-needed 3 points. Lambert wasn't hugely impressive, and maybe this is just me, but I thought we looked better with him up top than we have with Balotelli so far. Ultimately, I don't think it matters much with Sturridge back after the international break, but just what I saw. Seems like the linkup was a bit better with Lambert, albeit we still weren't totally creative, either.

Lallana, once again, was fantastic and it was wonderful to see him get off the mark -- and with a brilliant goal to boot. Henderson was excellent today too. Goal and an assist for Jordan. Toss-up between them for MOTM.

It was interesting to see Stevie get stuck in the No. 10 role once Lucas came on. He looked a bit slow by that point in the match :laugh: but in those 10-odd minutes he looked pretty damn creative. Could be something we see Brendan experiment with a bit more.

As for the penalty: Yep it was outside the box, but I'm not mad at that. I'm pissed Lovren went to ground in that situation. Very silly.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #379: Oct 04, 2014 08:52:45 pm
      Agree he wasn't very good today but even at his worst he is capable of getting an assist. That's how important he is for us

Let's be honest, he got an assist of the kind I'd hope an academy player could provide...simple side foot pass to someone in a position to shoot.

Not sure if Sterling is worried about his supposed contract negotations or what but he needs to forget all the hype and get back to doing the things that made us all in awe of him. He's still young, but maybe he needs a spell on the bench at this point, he was awful today.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,690 posts | 3711 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #380: Oct 04, 2014 08:58:01 pm
      Thrilled that we won today, because if we had not, then someone would need to be sacked.

clint_call01 you're a lucky man!  :roll:

:) YNWA
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #381: Oct 04, 2014 09:13:19 pm
      Wonderful performance by Lallana though I must admit. I wasn't completely taken away by the transfer but he's so far proven to be the creative link that we need in attack. Imagine him behind Sturridge and Suarez. There is a thought.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #382: Oct 04, 2014 09:31:07 pm
      I enjoyed the game, West Brom gave us a good run for our money. Berahino looks a tidy player. Thought our midfield played extremely well other than Couthino and Sterling running into dead ends at times or loss of control.

Lambert looked isolated on his own, think he still needs to settle a bit and will probably work better in a front two with Sturridge; we'll see what happens when he's back. Looks like benching Ballotelli gave him a kick up the arse, he looked up for it from the minute he came on and impressed me today. He attempted a few runs but he needs to learn to time them though as he kept straying offside when making his runs thus cancelling out the option of him receiving the ball. Enjoyed the link up between him and Gerrard.

I certainly won't complain if Gerrard and Henderson rotate roles throughout the game.

Sterling needs to recuperate though, his touch hasn't been great the last two games.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #383: Oct 04, 2014 09:38:22 pm
      My ratings:

Mignolet: Obviously had settled on the "punch everything" method of defending set pieces, and by and large this was a more confident performance from the keeper. 7/10.

Manquillo: Needlessly gave the ball away in the build up to their goal which left us stretched, and his inability to offer much going forward risks preventing him from being a top player. Tidy though in the main, and for a kid is a decent footballer. 6/10.

Skrtel: Along with Lovren defended pretty well I thought. 7/10.

Lovren: Copped some stick for "going to ground" for the penalty, but the lad was about to have a shot on goal so I'm at a loss really to see what other option he had. As it was, the quick feet of the excellent Berahino (we should look to buy him, he's a real talent) did for Lovren. I think he's playing pretty well right now though and is a good aquisition. 7/10.

Moreno: Never looks quite so good when we have a five man midfield as some of the space he would run into is already taken. That said he too did OK I thought. 7/10.

Gerrard: Really clever the way we're varying where Stevie plays at the moment. Today he dropped in deeper for much of the first hour and was excellent, later we puched him on and he was brilliant there too. The legs may be going, but his football brain is still a mile ahead of everyone elses. I wonder if there may even still be a role for him off the front man (Sturridge) with the instruction to drop back into the midfield when we don't have it. Excellent though today. 8/10.

Lallana: Looks a really good little player and despite many of us having reservations about the fee, now looks as though he's worth every penny. Did everything really well, my MOM. 9/10.

Sterling: A real off day and he looks like he needs a rest. I can't help thinking that his contract stuff is playing with his head a bit. His agent is clearly a bit of a c***. 5/10.

Coutinho: I like the position he was played in, I've been advocating as much for a while. Unfortunately for him (and for me in a way I suppose) it didn't really work. I'd still like to see him rotate and recycle the ball much quicker and be the fulcrum of the team, getting a zillion touches a game. As it is, he's off his best by some distance at the moment. 5/10.

Henderson: Letting him have a game sitting alongside Gerrard and having the game in front of him has done him the world of good. His best performance of the season by miles when pushed on again today. Unlucky not to get my MOM, but the truth of the matter is he does my head in with his poncing about so I find it hard to be totally objective about him. 9/10.

Lambert: I thought he did quite well, and completed the main point of his selection with aplomb (that was being there and allowing us to drop Balotelli). Clearly wouldn't win a race against pretty much anyone really, but showed reasonable awareness. 6/10.

Subs...

Balotelli: Much more like the player he can be, and clearly relished playing close to Gerrard (who wouldn't). I thought he did well, and no doubt redeemed himself somewhat in the eyes of many (including me). 7/10.

Lucas: Did OK, but was mainly brought on to allow Gerrard to nudge forward which definately worked. He shouldn't shoot though, ever. 5/10.

Johnson: Put Manquillo's contribution into perspective very quickly. When his minds right (and I'm far from convinced Glen isn't actually a bit bonkers when it comes down to it) Johnson is a really top player who would p!ss into almost every team in the league. 7/10.

The manager: Was the subject of some utterly ridiculous criticism prior to the game, but came through it with a win. 10/10.       
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #384: Oct 04, 2014 09:42:06 pm

Like all players, he is going through a rough patch. Nearly impossible to perform to your full capacity week in week out.

After the international break he should improve. Daniel will return to the team and therefore add an extra dimension which should, in theory, buy Raheem more time on the ball. He works best in a dynamic front free and that's why he is never quite as good for England (their build up play is too slow).

I think it's fair to say we've played more like England of late than the Liverpool of last season. Our structure isn't quite there yet amd when we do attack, it looks a little disjointed. Given Raheems age, I expect someone else to take the initiative and this should hopefully take a little weight off his shoulders.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #385: Oct 04, 2014 09:44:41 pm
      Let's be honest, he got an assist of the kind I'd hope an academy player could provide...simple side foot pass to someone in a position to shoot.

The pass was simple, but not the play... just remember £20M Downing went a whole season without a single assist (and still people tried to defend him), and I'd think saying an academy player would provide that assist is really unfair.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #386: Oct 04, 2014 10:03:42 pm

He doesn't want to play for England!  ;)
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #387: Oct 04, 2014 10:09:06 pm
      It seems to me like Mr "I've got no legs" Gerrard proves once more he's a F***ing G.. When he moved up the field he was immense..

Its like, If you come to our club with a potential "world class-ish" tag, you almost need his personal push..

He's ALWAYS formed a partnership with whichever top class player came in..

Gerrard personally is the key for Mario to kick on I'm sure...

Well in boys..

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #388: Oct 04, 2014 10:25:12 pm

Well think about his game for a moment. It relies on burst of speed to get in behind the defence. To do that he needs space but we are operating without any recognised out and out striker right now so no one is creating that space for him to run in to. It's not that he needs a rest, it's that he needs Sturridge back to start making those runs, pulling defenders out of position, having Mario holding them off, both of them creating the space he needs to run in to. With the absence of someone up top making those runs the entire team is dysfunctional. Once Sturridge is back the entire team will start playing better and we'll start climbing the table again.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #389: Oct 04, 2014 10:39:52 pm
      Only just getting to see the highlights now but great feeling to be sitting with three points again.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #390: Oct 04, 2014 10:40:59 pm
      Well think about his game for a moment. It relies on burst of speed to get in behind the defence. To do that he needs space but we are operating without any recognised out and out striker right now so no one is creating that space for him to run in to. It's not that he needs a rest, it's that he needs Sturridge back to start making those runs, pulling defenders out of position, having Mario holding them off, both of them creating the space he needs to run in to. With the absence of someone up top making those runs the entire team is dysfunctional. Once Sturridge is back the entire team will start playing better and we'll start climbing the table again.

Lambert was out wide several times pulling defenders out....I think you are minimizing the fact that Sterling right now is playing much like a passenger. It's to be expected as he's still a young lad, but it also shows why we can't rely on him solely.

Quick Reply