Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Euro 2016 Qualifiers

Read 26969 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Euro 2016 Qualifiers
      Reply #138: Oct 14, 2015 07:08:20 pm
      . Seeing England, Northern Ireland and Wales all playing in France next summer will really top off the embarrassment that Scottish football has become.

Its difficult for those of us who saw Liverpool scattered with Scots players for  a generation to see how Scottish football is now so f***in awful.Whe you think that Hansen had a job getting into a Scotland team its mind blowing
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #139: Oct 14, 2015 07:17:08 pm
      So great to see Northern Ireland and Wales going to the Euros. Wales have dominated the headlines but I think Northern Ireland are the biggest story here. Even if the format for the Euros was still at 16 teams only they'd still have sailed through automatically as winners of their group. O'Neil has done an amazing job there with limited resources.

So so disappointing that Scotland have failed yet again - no excuses in not getting to at least a play off. Everyone will look back to that Georgia loss - just a horrific performance all round. I don't think Scottish football has been so low. Even during the latter Bertie Vogts era it wasn't this bad in my opinion. Back then the SPL was a joke but not quite the farce it is nowadays. Overall Scottish football really has nothing going for it and I don't see it ever improving under the current culture in the SFA and which spreads throughout Scottish football. No one is standing up and taking responsibility. Even Strachan seems intent on placing the blame elsewhere. Seeing England, Northern Ireland and Wales all playing in France next summer will really top off the embarrassment that Scottish football has become.

Its difficult for those of us who saw Liverpool scattered with Scots players for  a generation to see how Scottish football is now so f***in awful.Whe you think that Hansen had a job getting into a Scotland team its mind blowing

Yeah it's pretty shocking to see the state Scottish football is in. What's been the biggest cause of its demise?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #140: Oct 14, 2015 07:33:31 pm
      Kane and Sterling look so sh*t. Kane gives away the ball all the time and Sterling can't seem to shoot, cross or pass.

Barkley is being a diving c**t again.
      I think Kane did alright. 4 goals in 5 games is not actually bad and he looks dangerous whenever he gets the ball. Barkley is actually amazing and you know you would have him in the Liverpool team without a doubt.... as for Sterling.. only one I agree with you on.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #141: Oct 14, 2015 07:43:56 pm
      England did well to get 100% record. Nice to get seeded also. Hodgeson was not a good Liverpool manager but as for England he has been as good as any other recent manager and made history to get a 100% record for qualifying, something no other manager has done with England. Even though we probably won't win Euro 2016, I think we have a chance as good as Germany or any other team... and before people laugh and start giving me abuse for being optimistic, remember that Germany lost to republic of Ireland and they lost to Poland... and Holland, who were pretty solid in recent tournaments did not even qualify at all, in a group with Iceland, Turkey  and Czech republic getting out the group. Can't write anybody off. Nobody in Europe is world class right now, Spain have fallen down and Germany are showing signs of a chink in the armour.. with Netherlands out there are reasons to be optimistic that we have a reasonable chance in Euro 2016.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #142: Oct 14, 2015 08:18:56 pm
      Yeah it's pretty shocking to see the state Scottish football is in. What's been the biggest cause of its demise?

Oh boy - that requires a PhD thesis!

I can maybe suggest a few things. Innate lack of foresight, failure to adapt to modern methods (only in the last couple of years have we seen some Scottish teams try to play progressive football). Rot started with the era of Craig Brown in the mid 90s - somehow held as a dean of Scottish football talk still yet his remedial, talentless football started a rot. Yeah ok, Scotland may have stopped producing the sort of impressively skilled footballers like your Dalglish's and Hansen's but an inability to act on this when they still could have in the mid 90s started a rot that has continued for nearly two football generations now.

As ever the failure lies at the feet of the SFA whose refusal to move to modern coaching methods when others around them were moving forward has resulted in failure after failure after failure. I genuinely believe that the SFA still believe that our kids are plucked out of the run down streets of a post industrial Glasgow. Such streets and such street football culture does not exist anymore and hasn't for near two decades now. SFA's coaching infrastructure is impoverished and is seen in results like....Craig Levein being appointed Scotland manager (and proceeding to infamously play a 4-6-0 formation in one infamous match).

The theme of poverty continues with the clubs - there is barely a penny between most football clubs in Scotland. To prove this, Marley Watkins moved from Inverness Caley Thistle (Scottish Cup winners and top flight professionals) to Barnsley of League 1 in the summer and saw his wage rise by 400%. 400 per cent!

But of course Celtic and Rangers are destructive influences as well. 10-20 years ago you couldn't deny that some of the names both clubs had on their books were impressive, and made for excellent spectacles. Who couldn't be impressed by the likes of your Larssons, Gascoignes and De Boers going at it week in week out? But all that spend on featured players was at the expense of any youth development. For clubs like Celtic and Rangers to herald themselves as responsible social bastions of the city of Glasgow, they have a funny way of showing their responsibilities. Add the vile sectarian and other unseemly undertones to that particular rivalry, the two clubs are a serious drain on Scottish football.

It could be so different, or rather it could have been so different. I fear that it is a lost cause because I see no serious reform occurring that will bring about the much needed change. The SFA will continue the 'woe is me' and the pithy excuses like Scotland can't cope with what is happening across the border in England...because like many other things in Scotland, it's not our fault or our problem. It's out of our hands and instead of seeking solutions and working towards solution, we'll quite happily point the finger of blame at other factors that are 'out of our control'. Pathetic.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3393 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #143: Oct 14, 2015 08:28:37 pm
      Yes get in! lucky Italy did the job at home against Norway.

Why would the Maltese be cross? Reason I ask is that no Croatia media is covering the match so there are no match reports or video. It's a deliberate boycott of Davor Suker president of the football association and a part time Mafioso.

apologies, the Malta being cross was a very poor attempt at humour on my part, google Maltese cross and you will see.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #144: Oct 14, 2015 08:50:34 pm
      I think Kane did alright. 4 goals in 5 games is not actually bad and he looks dangerous whenever he gets the ball. Barkley is actually amazing and you know you would have him in the Liverpool team without a doubt.... as for Sterling.. only one I agree with you on.

So he should have 4 goals with the amount of times he shoots. I genuinely haven't seen him pass the ball once when near the 18 yard box when a better option is available. I wouldn't say Barkley is amazing but he's been pretty decent.

England did well to get 100% record. Nice to get seeded also. Hodgeson was not a good Liverpool manager but as for England he has been as good as any other recent manager and made history to get a 100% record for qualifying, something no other manager has done with England. Even though we probably won't win Euro 2016, I think we have a chance as good as Germany or any other team... and before people laugh and start giving me abuse for being optimistic, remember that Germany lost to republic of Ireland and they lost to Poland... and Holland, who were pretty solid in recent tournaments did not even qualify at all, in a group with Iceland, Turkey  and Czech republic getting out the group. Can't write anybody off. Nobody in Europe is world class right now, Spain have fallen down and Germany are showing signs of a chink in the armour.. with Netherlands out there are reasons to be optimistic that we have a reasonable chance in Euro 2016.

Switzerland aside, the rest of the group really wasn't that good at all. San Marino - 196, Lithuania - 116, Estonia - 87, Slovenia - 46, Switzerland - 12. Going off this, I thought we'd win all but 1 game with a draw coming against the Swiss away. I disagree with you on our chances of winning the competition. You can't base our chances in the actual tournament on a bunch of games against a load of part-timers in the qualifiers. When it comes to tournament football England play incredibly defensive and play not to lose rather than to win and get the 3 points. This is one of a number of reasons why England won't be winning a tournament anytime soon.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #145: Oct 14, 2015 09:14:13 pm
      Oh boy - that requires a PhD thesis!

I can maybe suggest a few things. Innate lack of foresight, failure to adapt to modern methods (only in the last couple of years have we seen some Scottish teams try to play progressive football). Rot started with the era of Craig Brown in the mid 90s - somehow held as a dean of Scottish football talk still yet his remedial, talentless football started a rot. Yeah ok, Scotland may have stopped producing the sort of impressively skilled footballers like your Dalglish's and Hansen's but an inability to act on this when they still could have in the mid 90s started a rot that has continued for nearly two football generations now.

As ever the failure lies at the feet of the SFA whose refusal to move to modern coaching methods when others around them were moving forward has resulted in failure after failure after failure. I genuinely believe that the SFA still believe that our kids are plucked out of the run down streets of a post industrial Glasgow. Such streets and such street football culture does not exist anymore and hasn't for near two decades now. SFA's coaching infrastructure is impoverished and is seen in results like....Craig Levein being appointed Scotland manager (and proceeding to infamously play a 4-6-0 formation in one infamous match).

The theme of poverty continues with the clubs - there is barely a penny between most football clubs in Scotland. To prove this, Marley Watkins moved from Inverness Caley Thistle (Scottish Cup winners and top flight professionals) to Barnsley of League 1 in the summer and saw his wage rise by 400%. 400 per cent!

But of course Celtic and Rangers are destructive influences as well. 10-20 years ago you couldn't deny that some of the names both clubs had on their books were impressive, and made for excellent spectacles. Who couldn't be impressed by the likes of your Larssons, Gascoignes and De Boers going at it week in week out? But all that spend on featured players was at the expense of any youth development. For clubs like Celtic and Rangers to herald themselves as responsible social bastions of the city of Glasgow, they have a funny way of showing their responsibilities. Add the vile sectarian and other unseemly undertones to that particular rivalry, the two clubs are a serious drain on Scottish football.

It could be so different, or rather it could have been so different. I fear that it is a lost cause because I see no serious reform occurring that will bring about the much needed change. The SFA will continue the 'woe is me' and the pithy excuses like Scotland can't cope with what is happening across the border in England...because like many other things in Scotland, it's not our fault or our problem. It's out of our hands and instead of seeking solutions and working towards solution, we'll quite happily point the finger of blame at other factors that are 'out of our control'. Pathetic.

Wow, what a clusterfuck. Thanks for taking the time to unwind some of it!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #146: Oct 14, 2015 11:37:34 pm
      apologies, the Malta being cross was a very poor attempt at humour on my part, google Maltese cross and you will see.

Oh right.....

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #147: Nov 16, 2015 08:19:15 pm
      Want the Irish to do this tonight. Lot of reds in that ground ;)

Racer:

https://twitter.com/Racerx34/status/666347769720885250

Getting pissed with me mate at home watching this at home and both wondering want COYBIG is?

He's gone with 'Come on you boys in green'??? Yeah?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #148: Nov 16, 2015 09:01:43 pm
      Want the Irish to do this tonight. Lot of reds in that ground ;)

Racer:

https://twitter.com/Racerx34/status/666347769720885250

Getting pissed with me mate at home watching this at home and both wondering want COYBIG is?

He's gone with 'Come on you boys in green'??? Yeah?

Spot on
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #149: Nov 16, 2015 09:16:08 pm
      2-0 to the men in Green!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #150: Nov 16, 2015 09:18:26 pm
      Well in lads!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #151: Nov 16, 2015 09:40:30 pm
      M.I.G.   A film? well done lads !
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #152: Nov 16, 2015 09:44:52 pm
      So its going to be interesting next summer England.Northern Ireland,Wales and Ireland is there one missing?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #153: Nov 16, 2015 09:47:09 pm
      So its going to be interesting next summer England.Northern Ireland,Wales and Ireland is there one missing?

some one said they wanted independance,well they've got it next summer as we'll all be in France !
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #154: Dec 11, 2015 08:32:20 am
      Draw on 12.12 at 17.30 GMT.

France, Spain, Germany, Portugal from Pot 1. Looks tough for the lower seeds.

So who wants to face Hodgson instead?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #155: Dec 11, 2015 08:42:14 pm
      Draw on 12.12 at 17.30 GMT.

France, Spain, Germany, Portugal from Pot 1. Looks tough for the lower seeds.

So who wants to face Hodgson instead?

Cheers for the reminder. 

Not sure how this 24 teams is going to work.  Yeah, it's great that there's an extra 10 or 12 games or whatever, but for 4 of the 6 groups to get the third place team going through seems a bit soft.  Might help England though.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #156: Dec 11, 2015 10:51:11 pm
      Anyone got any suggestions as to what us in Scotland should do while everyone else watches this?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #157: Dec 12, 2015 12:23:40 pm
      Anyone got any suggestions as to what us in Scotland should do while everyone else watches this?

curling
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #158: Dec 12, 2015 12:33:53 pm
      I heard Roy saying that he would find it hard not to select Vardy on his present form. What the F**k ,why would you want to find an excuse not to pick the in form striker in the league. This man would be dangerous if he had two brain cells floating in that skull of his. To think he sat in the same dugout as Shankly ,Paisley and other legends is a joke as was his appointment in the first place.Tthe very thought of the man puts me in a bad mood
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #159: Dec 12, 2015 12:49:09 pm

Cheer on Ingland.  :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #160: Dec 12, 2015 12:57:16 pm

Thought it was usually support anyone but England during a major international tournament ;)

And for the record think I will be supporting Belgium this summer, did have a Belgian granddad, so there's who I'll be supporting in the summer.

F**k England, as always!!

Quick Reply